The "Phantom Ace"?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

The "Phantom Ace"?

I've seen a few sources, mostly video games, where Kou Uraki is referred to as the "Phantom Ace". What I'm curious about is, does this name have any kind of basis in Gundam setting materials (things like Entertainment Bibles), and in a related note, have they ever really specified how much information about Operation Stardust is actually known to the general public? (Putting aside the issue that 0083 was made years after Zeta, of course.)
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
yazi88

Re: The "Phantom Ace"?

0083 already has some issues with info and retcons...
Deacon Blues

There's actually an entire report I can summarize for you from the 0083 Documenta book if you'd like. The kicker is that it's billed as an "accident". One of the key lines in the article says "there is yet to be an official announcement released regarding the origin"
AmuroNT1

If you've got the time, I'd certainly appreciate the info.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:There's actually an entire report I can summarize for you from the 0083 Documenta book if you'd like. The kicker is that it's billed as an "accident". One of the key lines in the article says "there is yet to be an official announcement released regarding the origin"
I never tire of reading more UC trivia, if you can fit it into your project list. :)

My basic understanding to date of why Kou Uraki's title of "phantom ace" is that it is derived from the cover-up following the end of Operation Stardust. The leaders of the Titans were quick to cover up the fact that they had successfully determined the course of Operation Stardust, and had let ii proceed anyway in order to use the incident for their own advantage. In order to make sure awkward questions about the Gundam Project were not asked, it too was covered up. So everything Kou had done, learned, and earned during the course of the story was declared non-existent. I am interested in seeing what the translated story file says about the government chicanery involved. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deacon Blues

A little late, but better late than never:

The report indicates that the colony drop is being billed as an accident. A colony fell to Earth in transit during the "colony reclamation project". Unlike the colony drop during the One Year War where it broke up upon reentry into the atmosphere, this colony failed to, so the immediate devastation brought about by it was limited solely to North America.

The North American granary took pride in leading harvests. It is said, however, that they would not recover from this devastating blow even twenty five years later. As a result, the Earth's food self-sufficiency rate deteriorated even more and forced the situation into a reliance on imports of produce cultivated in agriculture plants on the moon and from the various Sides. Were it not for these imports from outer space, mankind would not be able to survive on the surface due to the environmental destruction.

Abnormal weather patterns were expected to flare up again as a result. Desertification as a result of droughts started in Africa and persistent rainfall attributed to marshlands in various parts of the world from the first dropping. Because bad weather is now an everyday occurrence, weather forecasts by the media are always issuing advisories and warnings.

"A mistake caused by a shortage of manpower resulting from cost cuts" and "because a towing ship was destroyed from the aftermath of the Delaz Conflict" are some of the various speculations floating around. However, the Federation Forces are currently investigating the truth of the incident but an official announcement has not yet been released. The transit work of the colonies has been temporarily suspended after this incident with no prospect of continuing at the moment.
AmuroNT1

Thanks for the info, and don't worry about the time.

IIRC, I keep hearing claims that Operation Stardust's entire goal was to force the Federation to become more reliant on the colonies, but that seems like an odd goal for a group of Gihren loyalists. Is there any explanation for that?

Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:A little late, but better late than never:
Nonsense, you had it up in less than a week, pretty good timing! :)
The report indicates that the colony drop is being billed as an accident. A colony fell to Earth in transit during the "colony reclamation project".
Wow, a bold-faced lie of the enormity and confidence that only a government report can issue. Excellent! :D I can actually hear the headline news announcement in my head, The dog-and-pony show dedicated to backing it up must have provided distracting camera time for the EUG long enough for The Delaz Incident to be tidied up & the Titans to get organized.
The North American granary took pride in leading harvests. It is said, however, that they would not recover from this devastating blow even twenty five years later.

Someone must have noticed all the flattened timber east of Mt. Saint Helens after the big blow-up. :) Oddly enough, the big blast in November would have completely missed all the harvested grain & corn, which was completed in the previous month. However, the winter wheat in a large area would not have been planted & would have been a total loss. Livestock would have been flung about like that poor cow in Twister.
As a result, the Earth's food self-sufficiency rate deteriorated even more and forced the situation into a reliance on imports of produce cultivated in agriculture plants on the moon and from the various Sides. Were it not for these imports from outer space, mankind would not be able to survive on the surface due to the environmental destruction.
I should point out that even today most of the Great Plains farming is done by agribusinesses who often have set contracts with various food manufacturers. The likes of Uncle Henry & Aunt Em are rather thin on the ground these days out there, so Delaz Fleet struck a blow for revolutionary agricultural collectivism. :P Except of course that since most of the working-type folks had already been forced to emigrate, so outside of the agribusiness farming there were precious few people in & around the urban sectors who knew how to plant a garden, plow a field, milk a cow, or manage a hen house, But hey, Earth was a green paradise undisturbed by all that overpopulation & exploitation of the soil, right?
Abnormal weather patterns were expected to flare up again as a result. Desertification as a result of droughts started in Africa and persistent rainfall attributed to marshlands in various parts of the world from the first dropping. Because bad weather is now an everyday occurrence, weather forecasts by the media are always issuing advisories and warnings.
Delaz sentenced the people of the Earth to an eternity of non-stop broadcasts of The Weather Channel in Weekly Storm of the Year mode?? How wicked of him!! Sorry, it's been a long winter out here, and the meteorological prose got ever more frantic & eloquent as it went along. :roll: I could accept the idea of persistent weather & climate disruption caused by the two colony drops, which would have kept weather forecasts up in the air for a few years, and no doubt made an absolute shambles of the Chicago Commodities Exchange. i refer members to 1815, the celebrated "Year without a Summer" in the USA which was a worldwide climate hiccup caused by an Indonesian volcano erupting.

Incidentally, the dependence of Earth upon the Side colonies for food production might give us a solid explanation for the rise of the Kalaba on Earth. Instead of just being bleeding-heart supporters of the emigrants, they would be people who would be justifiably alarmed by reports of the Titans running amok among the colonists who were responsible for producing the food on their tables.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
teslashark

I remembered Bill Bryson wrote something about dropping an asteroid onto Iowa in A Short History Of Nearly Everything, of course the thing he dropped is much bigger than a colony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=end49u7dVrw
http://www.rulit.net/books/a-short-hist ... 91-51.html
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com