Gudam Unicorn, Vol3 (DVD)-help identifying legit vs. bootleg

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SOCL

Gudam Unicorn, Vol3 (DVD)-help identifying legit vs. bootleg

I just purchased the third DVD to Gundam Unicorn, but I'm suspicious that I may have been swindled and sent a bootleg. I am hoping that somebody who owns the third DVD from RightStuf can check their copy against the following description to help me verify whether or not this DVD is legitimate.

1. The DVD menu is not animated -- it only shows a static image of the two Unicorn Gundams (I'm suspicious because the DVD menus for Vol. 1 and 2 are animated).
2. The first scene of Episode 5 has Japanese subtitles despite the fact Japanese subtitles are not supposed to be an option for these DVDs. The subtitles cannot be turned off, even if I select other subtitles, though they disappear after this scene.
3. When I checked other random scenes in Episodes 5 and 6, the audio seemed to be just a tiny bit off sync.

Otherwise, the picture quality and animation seem to be pretty clear without the telltale pixelation so typical of bootlegs (though I haven't watched a whole episode through yet). :|

I would really appreciate any assistance with this as I'm suddenly concerned I might not be able to trust the seller to tell me the truth. Incidentally, this was purchased via Amazon (seller MovieMars) rather than eBay or some such website, so I assume they won't be selling bootlegs...but I could be wrong.
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
AmuroNT1

Re: Gudam Unicorn, Vol3 (DVD)-help identifying legit vs. boo

A simple way to check is to see if the DVD case has all the proper Bandai and Sunrise branding on it. While some bootleggers use lookalike logos, others just leave them off entirely.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Well, if it's episode 5 at the beginning, there are hard-subs, because the operator is speaking English even in the japanese version. Those are hard subbed onto the screen in every version I've seen, so yeah. So 2 isn't an indicator of a bootleg DVD, given that even the Blu-Ray does that.

As for 1 and 3, I don't know for sure. As Amuro said, check for the proper branding and such over on the case/disc/etc.
wielder

The official release does have a static main menu, but the image in mine is just the Banshee.

Other things you could try to check:

There should be both 2 channel and 5.1 versions of the English and Japanese audio (4 tracks).

The official version also has an option for Spanish subtitles.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
SOCL

My primary concerns were definitely the first two (static menu and the subtitles in Ep. 5). Now that I know the subtitles are part of the video rather than part of the DVD features and that the menu is supposed to be static, I feel pretty confident this is a legitimate copy.

I checked the Sunrise and Bandai merch and adverts and they all look pretty legit. The only reason I'm hesitant about that is because once I purchased a copy of Cowboy Bebop and it looked really, really legit -- stickers, adverts, everything. It was pretty awesome -- except for the fact that it stopped working a few weeks later. I contacted the manufacturer and they said to send it back, only to be contacted after they received the discs to be told they were fakes. That was an annoying day. :x
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
Deacon Blues

That's why you don't buy from ebay? Duh... :P
SOCL

Deacon Blues wrote:That's why you don't buy from ebay? Duh... :P
Definitely learned my lesson. I also ended up getting a bootleg copy of Gundam 0083, though I pretty quickly realized that was a bootleg when the very first scene pixelated to death. :roll:
SOCL