Miscellaneous questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
doghunter1

Miscellaneous questions

Can anyone answer these questions (also, be wary of spoilers, because I do not know how to spoiler something without putting a colon before it):
  1. Where exactly did 08th MS Team episode 12 happen? Because let's recap: Shiro and Aina turned out to have survived the explosions that took out both the Ez8 and the Apsalus III, and both Michel and Kiki go look for them. The two wind up taken to an area where it snows by those children from the Flanagan Institute, and I don't recall Vietnam somewhere winter happens?
  2. Whatever happened to the surviving Cima Marines post-0083, mainly those that tried to defend the Solar System II?
  3. In regards to "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!," What was the romaji translation?
  4. Does Sunrise's "only animated works are official" shtick apply to all Sunrise IPs, like say, Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Fang of the Sun Dougram?

Speaking of officiality...
  5. Are the 0083 drama CDs official, like the one where Mayfly of Space came from?
Zeonista

Re: Miscellaneous questions

doghunter1 wrote:Can anyone answer these questions (also, be wary of spoilers, because I do not know how to spoiler something without putting a colon before it)
UC works as you have asked about have been out a while, so spoilers are the responsibility of the reader. having given that fair warning, on to those questions! :)
Where exactly did 08th MS Team episode 12 happen? Because let's recap: Shiro and Aina turned out to have survived the explosions that took out both the Ez8 and the Apsalus III, and both Michel and Kiki go look for them. The two wind up taken to an area where it snows by those children from the Flanagan Institute, and I don't recall Vietnam somewhere winter happens?'
Episode 12 takes place after the One Year War, presumably in UC 0080-81, and covers quite a bit of time, although all the boring here-to-there parts are eliminated. :) Shiro & Aina are eventually found in northern China (pine trees), a great deal of distance away from SE Asia!
Whatever happened to the surviving Cima Marines post-0083, mainly those that tried to defend the Solar System II?
It is implied in story events that the surviving Cima Fleet members were granted amnesty by the Federation as per the agreement made beforehand. Presumably the Titans took control of them, in order to learn how to effectively gas uppity Side colonies. ;)
Does Sunrise's "only animated works are official" shtick apply to all Sunrise IPs, like say, Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Fang of the Sun Dougram?
I do not know if they have ever made an official announcement to that effect. But that announcement concerning Sunrise's flagship franchise should serve as a good starting point for the other anime as well.
Are the 0083 drama CDs official, like the one where Mayfly of Space came from?
See your above question for the short answer. :) The 2 drama CDs were side stories for information and action that could not be covered in the OAV story episodes. The first story was a good adventure with no real connection to the main plot. It did let the listener gain some appreciation of the difficulties the EFSF faced engaging Zeon remnant forces around the shoal zones. The second story was the character development for Cima Garahau, which explained why she chose to sell out Delaz Fleet instead of joining in to help Operation Stardust succeed. It's not official in the since of an anime episode, but it's very useful in explaining her actions, which otherwise come across as very random & selfish.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Kratos

doghunter1 wrote:In regards to "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!," What was the romaji translation
*transliteration [/nitpick] :wink:

Anyways, it's "Zaku to wa chigau no da yo! Zaku to wa chigau!"

And to build on Zeonista's answer to the 0083 officiality stuff, nothing official actively contradicts them, so there's no reason not to turn to them for character motivation and the like.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
doghunter1

Episode 12 takes place after the One Year War, presumably in UC 0080-81, and covers quite a bit of time, although all the boring here-to-there parts are eliminated. Shiro & Aina are eventually found in northern China (pine trees), a great deal of distance away from SE Asia!
Wouldn't Shiro's missing leg prevent them from traveling that far?

It is implied in story events that the surviving Cima Fleet members were granted amnesty by the Federation as per the agreement made beforehand. Presumably the Titans took control of them, in order to learn how to effectively gas uppity Side colonies.
Thanks

I do not know if they have ever made an official announcement to that effect. But that announcement concerning Sunrise's flagship franchise should serve as a good starting point for the other anime as well.
Wish they don't. I mean, VOTOMS is not Gundam, so why should they follow what Gundam does? In fact, Square Enix's Front Mission series, all manga and light novels are canon to the games, in fact, the first entry into the Front Mission franchise, Front Mission Zero, is a manga.

See your above question for the short answer. The 2 drama CDs were side stories for information and action that could not be covered in the OAV story episodes. The first story was a good adventure with no real connection to the main plot. It did let the listener gain some appreciation of the difficulties the EFSF faced engaging Zeon remnant forces around the shoal zones. The second story was the character development for Cima Garahau, which explained why she chose to sell out Delaz Fleet instead of joining in to help Operation Stardust succeed. It's not official in the since of an anime episode, but it's very useful in explaining her actions, which otherwise come across as very random & selfish.
What do you mean by "in the since?" Also, is it true the drama CDs revealed Burning really did survive due to scrap collectors finding him, Burning deciding to keep what he knows about Operation Stardust to himself and rekindle the flame with Sylvia?

*transliteration [/nitpick]

Anyways, it's "Zaku to wa chigau no da yo! Zaku to wa chigau!"
Thanks, though I heard it without the other "chigau."
toysdream

Yeah, I think it's just "Zaku to wa!" in the second sentence. So Ral's basically echoing the first part of his line for emphasis. I guess one way to capture that in English would be "It's different from a Zaku! It's different!"

As for the Apsaras base, I had the impression it was in Lhasa, Tibet - thus the mountains where the Apsaras crashes on its way back to base are the Himalayas. I don't remember exactly where I read that, though.

-- Mark
Tangerine

Actually the desert that Shiro and team patrolled, the one that Shiro clogged his ground gundam leg filter. Where was it? Gobi desert near northwest of China? If that's the case any mountain north of Mongolia is also properly cold and snow laden, there's Altai mountain range reasonably near the Gobi.

http://www.gobitours.com/data/gallery/S ... untain.jpg
Kratos

toysdream wrote:Yeah, I think it's just "Zaku to wa!" in the second sentence. So Ral's basically echoing the first part of his line for emphasis. I guess one way to capture that in English would be "It's different from a Zaku! It's different!"

As for the Apsaras base, I had the impression it was in Lhasa, Tibet - thus the mountains where the Apsaras crashes on its way back to base are the Himalayas. I don't remember exactly where I read that, though.

-- Mark
Yeah, that's right, sorry. Not sure why I wrote that second "chigau". My bad.
doghunter1

Yeah, I think it's just "Zaku to wa!" in the second sentence. So Ral's basically echoing the first part of his line for emphasis. I guess one way to capture that in English would be "It's different from a Zaku! It's different!"

-- Mark
Thanks for joining us Mark, and thanks for helping me with that quote from Ral.

One question, is it true Ichiro Okouchi of Code Geass fame novelized 08th MS Team, and is it also true in said novelizations, Kiki got raped by Earth Federation soldiers and killed herself by bitting her tongue during the ordeal?
Zeonista

doghunter1 wrote:
Episode 12 takes place after the One Year War, presumably in UC 0080-81, and covers quite a bit of time, although all the boring here-to-there parts are eliminated. Shiro & Aina are eventually found in northern China (pine trees), a great deal of distance away from SE Asia!
Wouldn't Shiro's missing leg prevent them from traveling that far?
Hey, he's a partial amputee, but it's not like Shirou is helpless to move about. Besides, he has a lover to help him along through the rough patches. ;)
What do you mean by "in the since?" Also, is it true the drama CDs revealed Burning really did survive due to scrap collectors finding him, Burning deciding to keep what he knows about Operation Stardust to himself and rekindle the flame with Sylvia?
I bet "in the sense" makes it a little clearer, right? :P Alas, no survival for South Burning. The first drama CD dealt with events that occurred before episode 8. The second and final one was all about Cima-sama. Burning is still dead at the end of the series, a victim of death by plot twist and a crapped-out GM engine. (As the former owner of a Geo Metro who survived having engine rods bounce off the interior engine hood in rush hour traffic, I feel his pain.)
Last edited by Zeonista on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
doghunter1

[quote'="Zeonista"]

Hey, he's a partial amputee, but it's not like Shirou is helpless to move about. Besides, he has a lover to help him along through the rough patches.
I bet "in the sense" makes it a little clearer, right? Alas, no survival for South Burning. The first drama CD dealt with events that occurred before episode 8. The second and final one was all about Cima-sama. Burning is still dead at the end of the series, a victim of death by plot twist and a crapped-out GM engine. (As the former owner of a Geo Metro who survived having engine rods bounce off the interior engine hood in rush hour traffic, I feel his pain.)
Thanks for your replies Zeonista.

People, I'm bringing back this topic with new questions, so here goes:

1. Where do names like Deikun, Zabi, Ronah, and Dogatie come from?

2. Relating to question #1 above, judging by her name, what was the country of origin for someone named Naliss?

3. Any reason why Tomino axed the idea that was Turn A Space, which was all of his works in one universe?

4. Why does Kycilia cover her mouth and nose?

5. Related to question #4, how is Kycilia pronounced, "Kee-see-lee-ah" or "kee-she-lee-ah?"
PowerdGNFlag

doghunter1 wrote: 1. Where do names like Deikun, Zabi, Ronah, and Dogatie come from?
Naming schemes for Tomino characters (even outside of Gundam) have always been weird.
3. Any reason why Tomino axed the idea that was Turn A Space, which was all of his works in one universe?
The whole "Turn A Space" thing was apparently just a rumor within the fandom, so Tomino can't axe it if it didn't exist in the first place.
JP Wiki claims that officially, it's to prevent skin irritation due to cosmic rays, but also puts forward the theory that it's because she dislikes the smell of blood on the battlefield.
5. how is Kycilia pronounced, "Kee-see-lee-ah" or "kee-she-lee-ah?"
The Japanese キシリア spells out as Ki-shi-ri-a, so it's the latter.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Xenosynth

Well, on Kycilia though... there is no 'See' sound in Japanese, only 'Shi', so you can't necessarily use that as a reference for proper english pronunciation of the name, especially since it's spelled in Katakana which means the name was most likely meant to be foreign and not Japanese. That'd be like saying that Gundam is pronounced Gandamu because of the Katakana. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but given that it gets localized as Kycilia, I think that it could easily be 'see.'
Zeonista

doghunter1 wrote:1. Where do names like Deikun, Zabi, Ronah, and Dogatie come from?
Mostly they come from the highly inventive mind of Yoshiyuki Tomino-sama and his writing staff. :D Tomino is on the record as stating that many of his invented names for people and mecha have in-joke meanings. Considering Japanese homophonic humor, ignorance is bliss. :roll: "Vaguely European origin" sounds about right for most of them. Since most people of the Universal Century and other Gundam universes live in a time of reduced national identity, name origin is not useful to identifying their character. And just to further muddy the waters, the official alphabetic spellings sometimes don't match the katakana used. For example, Zeon Zum Deikun is actually rendered Zion Zum Daikun in katakana.
2. Relating to question #1 above, judging by her name, what was the country of origin for someone named Naliss?
The Republic of Zeon, of course! :D See #1 above on why this question has no satisfactory answer.
I have also heard it is a filter, either to protect the skin or sort out unpleasant substances in the air. You'd think the air scrubbers on the ship would be on top of that sort of thing though. :P Since UC Gundam tends to have more than a little Medieval Japanese flavoring to the design work, it reminds me of the hood & cowl worn by a Buddhist monk of that time period, especially one of high rank. Since Kycilia Zabi is an old maid by old-time standards, she would have the appearance of a ranking clan member who has taken holy orders but is still active in affairs, hence the cowl worn over the armor/uniform to indicate a (theoretical) devotion to spiritual manners. Both Takeda Shingen & Uesugi Kenshin did this eventually; Houjou Masa the "nun shogun" is a more pertinent example. (This might be a subtle cultural flag as to her projected personal ambitions and attitude.) The cowl also does a good job of de-femenizing her in times of action, keeping the subordinates oriented on her rank, not her gender.
5. Related to question #4, how is Kycilia pronounced, "Kee-see-lee-ah" or "kee-she-lee-ah?"
The katakana of her name is ki-shi-ri-a. Now "ri" can also be read/said as "li" sometimes, as in this case, so one should say "kee-shee-lee-ah" in Japanese, as they indeed do in dialogue. I personally would not make a big deal over "Kee-shee-ree-ah". :)
Last edited by Zeonista on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmuroNT1

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I believe in Tomino's original Gundam novel, he said that Kycilia covers her face to try to block out the scent of "death", referencing the first time she smelled a recently-killed corpse and it caused her to have a minor freak-out on top of the normal human reaction of nausea. Of course, as has been noted many times in the past, what's true in the novel isn't always true in the anime, but it's more explanation than the anime ever gave.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
doghunter1

Thank you both Zeonista and AmuroNT1

New questions:

1. Any depictions of those anti-Cui low-altitude defense crafts mentioned in the Setting notes in the animation or any novels or manga?

2. What are the names of the service rifles of both sides during the One Year War?

3. What's the romanji of "You...you hit me! N-not even my own father hit me!"

4. Between the two, who was Japanese, Tem or Kamaria?

5. Any descriptions of what Comiliy (friend of Amuro's, whose mother was being bullied by EF soldiers in episode 13/12) looked like before she bit it?
Kratos

3. Nido mo buta! Oyaji ni mo butaretakotonai no ni!

Fun fact: This is probably the single most well-known quote from MSG in Japan.
Heaven Piercing Man

Well, the actual quote was "That's twice! Not even my own father hit me!"
Ryujin

doghunter1 wrote:2. What are the names of the service rifles of both sides during the One Year War?
If we go by the info presented in 'Uniforms & Equipment of the UC,' then the Feddies had the Calt M72A1 bullpup, along with a couple of other rifles of more conventional layout (and less detailed lineart) which lack any official designation.

The Zeeks, on the other hand, had the Taiga 70-R (which resembled an overgrown MP-40) and another, undesignated, rifle which looks like a more detailed lovechild of a 70-R & a Stg-44. I find it odd how the rifle with the more recent, detailed lineart lacks any official designation.

There's also plate #22 in the MS ERA book, where a Zeek & a Feddie are sharing a smoke. While the Feddie has an M72, the Zeek has what looks like an AK with a Colt Commando-style collapsible stock.
doghunter1

Kratos wrote:
3. Nido mo buta! Oyaji ni mo butaretakotonai no ni!

Fun fact: This is probably the single most well-known quote from MSG in Japan.
Thanks Kratos
Heaving Piercing Man wrote:
Well, the actual quote was "That's twice! Not even my own father hit me!"
Quite fascinating. Thanks.
Ryujin wrote:
If we go by the info presented in 'Uniforms & Equipment of the UC,' then the Feddies had the Calt M72A1 bullpup, along with a couple of other rifles of more conventional layout (and less detailed lineart) which lack any official designation.

The Zeeks, on the other hand, had the Taiga 70-R (which resembled an overgrown MP-40) and another, undesignated, rifle which looks like a more detailed lovechild of a 70-R & a Stg-44. I find it odd how the rifle with the more recent, detailed lineart lacks any official designation.

There's also plate #22 in the MS ERA book, where a Zeek & a Feddie are sharing a smoke. While the Feddie has an M72, the Zeek has what looks like an AK with a Colt Commando-style collapsible stock.
Thanks, and what would the name of the rifles that look like Dragunov SVDs wielded by certain members of the White Base crew and those EF soldiers stationed in Amuro's hometown?

As for questions 1, 4-5, can anyone please answer? You don't have to do so right away.
Zeonista

I have a copy of an old page-scan from a OYW-era book. I will try to provide romanji for the furigana, as much as I can make out. The kanji "gun" referring to "army/military" gets used a lot. 'Submachinegun" has kanji with furigana, but the text also uses the romanji abbreviation.

Zeon: gunhaku heisen you SMG (Looks like a Thompson sized down for 9x19mm.)
Zeon: gunhaku heisen you SMG (MP 40 in spa-a-a-ace.)
Zeon: gun Taiga 70-R SMG (MP-40 & Owen SMG cross-design.) Except for the "gun" kanji its name is in katakana.
Zeon: gunmo hondou Rifle (looks like an AR-18 w. nifty flash suppressor.)
Zeon: gun Sniper Rifle (Looks like G43/SKS with Zaku MG-style scope!) Again, after the "gun" kanji the name is in katakana.
Zeon: gun Laser Hand Gun (Goofy sword-gun carried by Zeon VIPs; UC's only personal beam gun.) Again, after the "gun" kanji the name is in katakana.
Renpou: gunsei shiki jidou shoujuu (Feddy battle rifle, looks like scoped M-14/Mini-14)

EDIT: I have handguns (kenshuu) too, from a separate page-scan. :) They are all Renpou (Federation) except for 1 Zeon pistol. The phrase "shuhan model" shuhan kanji = leader, model = katakana is used for certain models, presuming they are not general issue.
K-38 revolver (shuhan model): This looks like the typical "chief's special" revolver, which explains the model designation. japanese police still use revolvers a lot, so I suppose it is a police weapon.
M840SP automatic (shuhan model): This looks like a baby Browning Hi-Power/Colt Commander hybrid.
C-357 automatic (shuhan model): This is a large long-barreled pistol for space combat. It is similar to certain pistols used in Zeta Gundam.
renpou gunsei shiki kenshuu M-71: This is the Feddy standard issue automatic pistol for space combat, it has appeared in other animation as well. Like the C-357, it has no current analogue.
Zeon gunsei shiki kenshuu Naban 61 shiki: This is the standard Zeon issue space combat pistol, with Luger/Nanbu toggle lock.