Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Calubin_175

Re: Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga

They're trying to show how tough Gato is by letting him defeat elite GMs that took out his support team, instead of Adamsky and him killing all the GM Kais in the OVA.
Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:For those interested in this particular story:
Thanks for the update on the extension of the GP-02 heist battle. :)
- The Komusai lands at the rendez-vous point for Gato. Nearby is a Zaku I Sniper.
The Zaku I Sniper is now the coolest Zaku I type ever. It's had a surge of popularity, appearing in many stories since it came out.
- Synapse orders Morris to call up any friendlies in the area. A nearby airborne unit launches 4 Gunperry craft from an aircraft carrier nearby.
This is a good story which makes sense both in the operational and narrative sense, and raises the stakes for Gato. I could see this originally being in the OAV's story, and being cut out due to time limitations.
- Kalent team locates the Komusai.
This is a definite change from the OAV, wherein Kalent Team was ambushed well away from the Komusai. They were pretty laid back about the search too, which at that point in the anime meant no one knew the "Nightmare of Solomon" was there.
- 4 Gunperry craft drop six GM Night Seeker II's.
I don't know that Jim suit. Is it new for the manga?
- Zaku I Sniper engages. Xamel's cannon is cut off by one of the GM's. Komusai comes under heavy fire
- Kalent team is caught in the storm of beam rifle fire unaware that they were called in.
- Zaku I Sniper is taken out by a GM Sniper on board one of the Gunperry (which type I have no idea)
Hot and heavy action! No wonder Balofo is enthusiastic! :D The ready reaction of the EFF units really sunk the quick & easy Komusai launch, and justified the Jukon backup evac plan.
- Gato appears outside, clearly pissed. He engages the Night Seeker units (which are shocked).
- Burning tries hailing the Kalent team. No response. The team arrives to see Gato tearing them a new one.
And people keep discounting my statement that MS combat is as much about the psychological element as any of the physical & technological elements. ;) Admittedly the GP-02 benefited from its heavy armor, but the sight of the burly GUndam looming out of the wreckage would definitely have been a nasty surprise! Gato of course seized the moment and the combat initiative. (Carpe GM? :P ) The action then synced with the anime with Burning Team as a witness to Kalent Team's destruction. However this time they are direct witnesses rather than passive witnesses over the comm link. Again, this scene sounded like something created for the anime story, then dropped for time constraints in favor of a brief long-range glimpse of MS in motion at night, and a knowing comment from the submarine commander.

balofo: I am impressed at how the manga expands upon the anime's excellent but brief combat sequences for the GP-02 heist story. It definitely bodes well for the later space battles. I cannot offer much hope for extra Gerbera Tetra goodness, since it was named the "Mayfly of Space" for a reason....

Calubin_175: The engagement described in the manga does a great job of defining Gato's attack-oriented personality & style. Odds schmods, he immediately falls upon the GMs with an agile, well-armored Gundam, preventing them from getting a bead on him. BTW this tactic was recommended by Miyamoto Musashi as a way to deal with multiple enemies; rush right in and stay close, slashing as many of them as possible to gain control of the fight. This was advice from his own engagement at the Ichijo Temple.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
FinalSin66

GM Night Seeker II are from MSV-R
Calubin_175

The good thing about these readaptations of existing stories is that they incorporate newly released MS from recent years into the story. e.g, Zaku sniper from Harmony of Gundam and Night Seeker from MSV-R, as well as the GM Sniper Custom from original MSV. This harmonises the expanded UC universe rather than just having to look at the original OVA which appeared pretty standalone as it focused on just featuring new debut designs then, except for the Balls and GMs during the prologue.
Deacon Blues

Personally I'm not a fan of them shoving these new designs into every adaptation of a manga that is coming out now a days... it's like "Oh by the way, these units just HAPPENED to exist back then and we are showing them to you now."

Then again, I guess Sunrise is giving these latest MSV spinoffs some sort of "official-type" nod. Hell that stupid Zanzibar ripoff appeared in the Shin Matsunaga manga for a couple panels and I think one of the Lockwoods did too in something else.
toysdream

The only thing that strikes me as ironic about shoehorning in cameos by the MSV-R machines is that the MSV-R designs seem to have been created from a stance of willful obliviousness to the later OVA series (08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083). They do reference some of the characters, creating custom machines for aces like Norris and Gato, but the setting info and mecha designs never acknowledge the existence of these latter-day series - the idea seems to have been to proceed as if only First Gundam, MSV, and MS-X existed. So I feel like they don't sit very well alongside material from the OVA series, or even the Side Story game series.

It might be an interesting thought experiment to recast some of the MSV-R designs with the OVA mecha in mind, kind of like how Harmony of Gundam re-imagined the GM Desert Type as a GM Kai variation and the Aqua GM as a spinoff of the GM Command. Limited-production machines like the GM Sloep and Night Seeker, for example, which are only used on Earth, might overlap nicely with the RGM-79(G) or the GM Command. And who wouldn't prefer to see a Full Armor version of the RX-79(G) or Pixie, rather than the lame FA-78(G) we actually got?

-- Mark
balofo

You guys are anti-fun, more mecha and more action is all I care. And the people in charge don't seem to care about continuity/plot holes/etc as much as we do anyway...

Now important stuff they should address:
-Nuke being depicted right(muzzle flash and damage to the fleet)
-WTF was the point of the Colony drop and why the last minute input changes by Gato
-Burning's death, making it more beliveable.
-Val Varo's existance and Kelly's useless battle against Kou.

0083 is full of those
Rawinder

toysdream wrote:It might be an interesting thought experiment to recast some of the MSV-R designs with the OVA mecha in mind, kind of like how Harmony of Gundam re-imagined the GM Desert Type as a GM Kai variation and the Aqua GM as a spinoff of the GM Command. Limited-production machines like the GM Sloep and Night Seeker, for example, which are only used on Earth, might overlap nicely with the RGM-79(G) or the GM Command. And who wouldn't prefer to see a Full Armor version of the RX-79(G) or Pixie, rather than the lame FA-78(G) we actually got?

-- Mark
The Aqua GM is based off the GM Command? That's strange...why devote such an expensive frame to such a throwaway suit? And then keep building them over 15 years later?
Deacon Blues

balofo wrote: -Burning's death, making it more beliveable.
What exactly was the problem with it? I don't see an issue with a stray shot setting off a chain reaction of explosions that explodes in the cockpit causing him to die...

I wonder if the novel depicts this any differently... *goes to look*
Andrew_Graruru

balofo wrote:You guys are anti-fun, more mecha and more action is all I care. And the people in charge don't seem to care about continuity/plot holes/etc as much as we do anyway...
Not to go too into semantics but I don't think wanting good plotting, and caring about the minutiae of canon and plot-holes are really the same thing. I want interesting characters and writing from any show, but I couldn't care less about the fictional-reality of the fictional story I am watching, and don't have much time for discussion of arbitrary plot holes either, so long as it doesn't interfere with characters and theme.

Anyways, I don't think it's so much that people are anti-fun, more that the majority of fans want a healthy balance of action and plot, and if ideal for those two elements to work together. I.e the action should be interesting but also in service of advancing a good story
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
AmuroNT1

Deacon Blues wrote:What exactly was the problem with it? I don't see an issue with a stray shot setting off a chain reaction of explosions that explodes in the cockpit causing him to die...

I wonder if the novel depicts this any differently... *goes to look*
I think what bugs people about Burning's death isn't the exact manner of it, but the cheesiness involved. His GM had a bullet lodged in the torso for several minutes and absolutely nothing happened...but then the NANOSECOND he starts to tell Kou what Operation Stardust's real objective is, the bullet jumps up and causes a catastrophic chain reaction that kills him.

If the GM had blown up at any point before then, it'd be a different story, but they had him go "My God! The Zeons' real goal! Uraki, I have to tell you this very, supremely important information right now, which I will do at the end of this sentence! And that information is-"*DEAD* IMO, it was probably the cheesiest instance of this trope this side of Evangelion and the "reveal" of Eva-03's ill-fated pilot.

EDIT: Regarding the Aqua GM, I just wanted to note that Izubuchi actually did start work on a GM Command-based design, but it never showed up in 0080. The rough version showed up in his artbook "Mechanical Design Works I":

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... e9ad36.png
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

Exactly, at least they should make Burning and Cima fight longer and both are heavily damaged or Cima kills him as he tries to escape with the papers after the fight.

This also leaves room for Kou's revenge and fight of Stamen VS Gerbera :)
toysdream

Rawinder wrote:The Aqua GM is based off the GM Command? That's strange...why devote such an expensive frame to such a throwaway suit? And then keep building them over 15 years later?
Specifically, when Katoki redesigned the Aqua GM for the "Harmony of Gundam" project, he retooled its lower body to resemble that of the GM Command. Since Katoki's version is the one featured in Gundam Unicorn, I guess it's now the official interpretation of this machine. It's not really mentioned in the back story, but I think it's a nice visual note that makes the 0080 GMs feel a bit less orphaned. :-)

As far as the current rush of MSV-R cameos, I'm not really complaining per se - I quite like the MSV-R series! It just seems ironic that part of the MSV-R schtick is to deliberately ignore all the OVA mecha designs, and now they're being shoehorned into those selfsame OVAs.

My persona pet peeve about Gundam 0083, of course, is that the depiction of the nuclear attack on the naval review is anti-scientific magic nonsense. But I highly doubt they're going to address that in the manga...

-- Mark
Evex

toysdream wrote:
Rawinder wrote:The Aqua GM is based off the GM Command? That's strange...why devote such an expensive frame to such a throwaway suit? And then keep building them over 15 years later?
Specifically, when Katoki redesigned the Aqua GM for the "Harmony of Gundam" project, he retooled its lower body to resemble that of the GM Command. Since Katoki's version is the one featured in Gundam Unicorn, I guess it's now the official interpretation of this machine. It's not really mentioned in the back story, but I think it's a nice visual note that makes the 0080 GMs feel a bit less orphaned. :-)

As far as the current rush of MSV-R cameos, I'm not really complaining per se - I quite like the MSV-R series! It just seems ironic that part of the MSV-R schtick is to deliberately ignore all the OVA mecha designs, and now they're being shoehorned into those selfsame OVAs.

My persona pet peeve about Gundam 0083, of course, is that the depiction of the nuclear attack on the naval review is anti-scientific magic nonsense. But I highly doubt they're going to address that in the manga...

-- Mark
Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Most MSV are designs that were originally created for a particular series, but either never used or later cut from the show for one reason or another. For instance the MS-X designs were originally meant to show up in the later half of mobile suit gundam, but were cut when Tomino had to shorten the script due to having fewer episodes. From my understanding most of the OVAs mentioned don't have any MSV of there own. Meaning most of the intended designs for the OVAs were used, so there are no designs that they can use that fit the particular series. In this case its 0083 Stardust Memory.

As for the Aqua GM being used 15 years later it can be explained with the GM upgrade principle. Essentially any GM MSV that appears during the one year war can be transferred over to the next generation GM. It's most likely by the time of Gundam Unicorn that the Aqua GM is using parts from the GM III, but the outwards appearance of the suit remains the same.
toysdream

Evex wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Most MSV are designs that were originally created for a particular series, but either never used or later cut from the show for one reason or another. For instance the MS-X designs were originally meant to show up in the later half of mobile suit gundam, but were cut when Tomino had to shorten the script due to having fewer episodes.
Not really. The four unused amphibious machines from First Gundam (the so-called "Agg series") ended up getting lumped in with the MSV series because there was no place else to put them, but the rest of the series was developed from scratch. The first few were actually based on illustrations that Okawara did for third-party books and magazines, and once they started turning those into model kits, the rest of the designs were produced specifically for that purpose.

The MS-X series was launched as a planned successor to the MSV line. It did include some unused ideas from Tomino's original series plan, but that's actually the rare exception. Most of the other MSV series since then were either specifically created as a spinoff product line like the original MSV series, or cobbled together after the fact from random illustrations in books and kit manuals (like the so-called 0080 MSV, CCA MSV, and F91 MSV lineups). For whatever reason, it seems like there weren't enough of the latter for Gundam 0083 to justify creating a category for them.

Off the top of my head, the only other example I can think of where unused designs from a series ended up resurfacing in the associated MSV category would the Zaku Diver, Desert Gelgoog, and Rommel's Desert Zaku from Gundam ZZ.

-- Mark
balofo

What if the the nuke hit Confeito and the fleet was conveniently around it? The rock debris would be enough to heavily damage half of the fleet?
balofo

Alen(Powered GM) survives for now and Alice Miller from 08th Team OVA appears! This manga is going places.

http://i.imgur.com/b6aGaJN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/07aGGO9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HMbz2ag.jpg
domino

Maybe they'll save his death for when Kou tries to sortie in the GP01 in space
balofo

More interesting stuff:
-A G-Armor was delivered to the Albion
-2 trucks carrying additional prototype equipment for both GP01 and GP02 also arrived

http://i.imgur.com/0MpCQxP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0vq6LOb.jpg
domino

Looks like they are going to push the versatility of the GP01 to assume different mission roles.

The extra containers will help with the conversion to Full Vernian

Who knows what will happen with the extra GP02 parts. Perhaps Gato will get his hands on them for the multi-launchers?