Space Dandy

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Re: Space Dandy

Space Dandy confirmed for Universal Century 0014... (if only!) Sadly, it's Year 0014 of the Galactic Calendar. Calling it the Universal Century would have been a hilarious nod... which I'm sure may have been Watanabe's goal...
Wellman

bullethead wrote:According to a translated Famitsu article on NeoGAF, Dai Sato (one of the writers) rated Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon as his Game of the Year for 2013, so that probably explains some of the show's tone.
This statement alone elevated Space Dandy to must watch territory.
yazi88

Definitely one of the weirdest shows I've seen in a long time.

The opening alone has references to Outlaw Star, Ideon/Guncannon, F-91 Den'an Geis with the whole arm wave thing, with other stuff I can't remember on the top of my head.

This show is like a combination Duck Dodgers/Captain Tylor with the weirdness of Suda 51.
Zeonista

Watched the #1 this evening as well. I really don't know what to feel yet. :? It was amusing, and in-joke city, but there was a distinct lack of focus! Well, maybe by the end of #2 I will have a better grasp of what is happening.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Ryujin

I feel kinda bad for the people who've only watched this on Adult Swim -- no Viva Namida! OP or ED for them.
hitokirigarou

Who else caught that Terminator 2 reference?
Mythgarr

I think this series is not made for Japanese...so many elements of it are western-smelling. The non-sensical almost-abstract artworks and head-scratching story mimic what is being presented by Cartoon Network. Even "bo*bi*s" are chosen, not "op**i"
Visit The Dreams
bullethead

Mythgarr wrote:I think this series is not made for Japanese...so many elements of it are western-smelling. The non-sensical almost-abstract artworks and head-scratching story mimic what is being presented by Cartoon Network. Even "bo*bi*s" are chosen, not "op**i"
Most Japanese shows set in the future that don't involve Japan use English and/or a made up language for their text.

Also, going with English is a smart move, because Watanabe is apparently a big seller outside of Japan.
battletech

All I can say is the first ep. was quite interesting. Hope it gets more centered. It was kind of all over the place.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
iguanaman8989

I found it to be quite thoroughly enjoyable, lots of laughs and wonderful all around.

My biggest fear is that people will hate it for the fact that it isn't Cowboy Bebop.
Which seems to be happening already, and makes me wonder if said people even watched Bebop, since that too had it's own substantial amount of silliness.
Zeonista

I definitely get all the jokes, but the scattergun silliness is going to turn off a lot of people. (For rapid-fire comedy centered on a story framework, I recommend No-Rin.) I will keep watching this anime on and off, but it is no longer on the "must watch" list. That being said, the featured babe this episode was a lot of fun, and I chuckled imagining Great Teacher Onizuka & Naruto reacting to the heart-touching tale of the ramen stall operator. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
battletech

I found the second episode better then the first. Scarlet is awesome. Hope to see more of her.
battletech

OK This latest episode was the best so far to me. A lot more substance and less off the wall but still funny. Shows Dandy has a big heart and can be serious. It looks though like it's back to off the wall comedy in the next episode.
Wellman

battletech wrote:OK This latest episode was the best so far to me. A lot more substance and less off the wall but still funny. Shows Dandy has a big heart and can be serious. It looks though like it's back to off the wall comedy in the next episode.
Yeah, I agree, there was comedy but it wasn't trying nearly as hard as some of the other episodes which is a good thing plus the genuine story telling is always a good thing for me.
latenlazy

If it's like any other Shinichiro Watanabe show, don't expect things to get serious until the second half/third of the series. Still haven't seen it yet and might wait till the core narrative is more fleshed out. How's the dubbing? (Or are you guys watching subs?)
battletech

latenlazy wrote:If it's like any other Shinichiro Watanabe show, don't expect things to get serious until the second half/third of the series. Still haven't seen it yet and might wait till the core narrative is more fleshed out. How's the dubbing? (Or are you guys watching subs?)
I'm not the most critical on dubs but I would say it's very close to Cowboy Bebop level of dubbing.
bullethead

latenlazy wrote:If it's like any other Shinichiro Watanabe show, don't expect things to get serious until the second half/third of the series. Still haven't seen it yet and might wait till the core narrative is more fleshed out. How's the dubbing? (Or are you guys watching subs?)
The dub is a notch or two above regular Funimation dubbing, which is impressive considering how little time they had to prepare on the preproduction end and the required turn around of weekly TV viewing compared to releasing a dub on physical media only.
Deacon Blues

7 episodes in and this still isn't being fleshed out haha. I'm beginning to wonder.

Although I will laugh at how hilariously inappropriate this last episode was... or maybe I was reading too much into the lines.
PowerdGNFlag

For a moment I thought that this was the last episode, with them using all the unused commercial bumpers and whatnot. But yeah, the episodes are getting more and more "out there" for me.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
LightningCount

One of the main animators on this episode worked on the space race episode of Outlaw Star. Imagine that, both Prince and and Harry MacDougal are dandy-type rivals with long blue hair. I have a strong feeling this series will be whatever its creators want, which right now is a space/SF parody. Unless they feel some odd outside pressure, I think that's what the whole thing is supposed to be. Which is fine enough. They never promised anything more.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone