Space Dandy

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
wielder

Re: Space Dandy

Episode 7 was quite entertaining and fun to watch, even though I've never been a huge fan of the whole racing genre, whether space-related or otherwise. But here the focus was more on the action and humor than on the race itself, other than as a framework, so everything came together in a nice package. Yes, that includes the absurd ending.

Episode 8 looks to be the next serious episode where they'll try to pull at the heartstrings a little bit.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
battletech

Awe poor dog. got to have fun before she died. Loved the Cowboy Bebop refrigerator with the mutated food in this episode.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Ryujin

The first part of the latest episode reminded me of a Bruce Sterling short story that also involved Laika, albeit with a happier ending.

CN viewers also get to see the Viva Namida OP this time around--but lose out on next week's preview in the process.
Deacon Blues

Q

So now that we are 9 episodes in we are treated to our first fantastic episode of QUALITY animation. I figured at some point this show would have some sort of revelation of the plot but it seems that we're going no where yet again...

And Dai Sato is contributing to this? Yikes.
wielder

I get the feeling they will put in a little bit of actual plot before the show is over, but it's probably just going to be an explanation for how the series switches universes or whatever between episodes.

It's not going to radically alter the status quo, since having an overarching narrative is meaningless here.

Say, multiple instances of Dandy and co. might come around for an episode only for everyone to die again. :lol:
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Ryujin

Today's episode was a great one, imho.

I guffawed hard at
Spoiler
TEM RAY CIRCUIT. The whole episode was just chock-full of comedy & references, interspersed with some warm moments with Meow & his dad. "I think we totally have superpowers!" "No, you idiots are stuck in a time loop! Get on with the story already!"
Also, Thomas Romain confirmed on his twitter that Space Dandy is slated for 26 episodes.
Ryujin

Oh man, 2nd season starts off with a bang...and a whole shipload of references & cameos.

It's great that things still go in a different direction than what you'd have expected.
Deacon Blues

So I'm up to Season 2 Episode 3 and man... did the quality tank or what. I'm also STILL wondering just where the plot is to this show... I mean seriously? Halfway through and NOTHING? I'm sadly disappointed.
LightningCount

Deacon Blues wrote:So I'm up to Season 2 Episode 3 and man... did the quality tank or what. I'm also STILL wondering just where the plot is to this show... I mean seriously? Halfway through and NOTHING? I'm sadly disappointed.
Well, yes and no. Episode 3's visuals were intentionally different and looser. (Much like Episode 9 of Season 1, and the anime Kick Heart, which had some of the same people working on it.) It was always the stated intention of the creators that each Space Dandy episode have slightly-to-very different art styles to add to the zaniness. Also, the goal was to create the most ridiculous anime ever. There was never any intention to make this Cowboy Bebop. The plot is only there to serve the intergalactic antics until or if the creators decide to wrap it up with a serious episode or two.

The timeline-bending, confusing as it is, sets up some sense of convoluted plot in the background. Whether they play with it more seriously or not, they've touched on the central plot several times, which is that Dandy has upset the time-space continuum, and that this has had an adverse affect on a war between two galactic empires.

So, all of that said, with a few tweaks, they could have made this closer to at least Space Adventure Cobra or Outlaw Star; but that wasn't the intention. The goal is just to make a really experimental and zany show, and they've largely succeeded. Like you, I think the overall quality has gone down since Season 1; but Season 1 had lost its extra level of quality by Episode 4, honestly.

If nothing else, they are presenting some interesting takes on the science of time and space, the voice acting and music are amazing, it has a different look than most modern anime, and the show can be genuinely funny. Episode 3 of Season 2 was a real surprise to me in how amusing it was, despite its wacky visuals.

Still, I would like them to blend in more seriousness overall alongside the high-quality animation seen in Episode 1 of Season 1. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they were just trying to get things started with a bang, and see how much work would be needed to convince the viewers, and then they took things a little/a lot lighter on all fronts.

There was potential to do a lot more, but that just wasn't the purpose of this series...

Hard as it may be, the key to this show has been to just watch without expectations.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I gave up looking for Space Dandy's plot by episode 4 of season 1. I realized that it will never be that kind of show...it is, as Lighting Count basically said, a fun, wacky, adventure-of-the-week type of show. Furthermore it has some great (and original...abet weird) Science Fiction.

Once you accept that fact, Space Dandy is great.

And I am not an animation expert, but I haven't noticed any quality differences; however, I NEVER notice that stuff unless it is really bad, so I can't speak about that.

Overall, Space Dandy is basically a 26 episode version of that mushroom episode from Cowboy Bebop...only weirder and with less of an overarching plot. I am not going to pretend I enjoy every episode of Space Dandy (since there are some stuff in there that is just too weird and out there...even for me...remember the Plant Planet Episode?! What the hell was that?!), but there are some good stuff in the show and I am enjoying season 2 a lot.

It isn't for everyone, but you shouldn't let your expectations get in the way of what is some quality entertainment. I don't expect deep characters from SAO and I don't expect cohesive story-telling from Dandy.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
battletech

The last episode actually had a plot and made sense. Yeah I know but it's true. I've been waiting for Scarlet to get more screen time and we also got to know Honey a little better.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
FieryBlitz

Okay, tonight's episode was just great. Not to mention Johnny was the pilot of FREAKIN' GAOIDEONGAR!!
Too bad it got destroyed in a freak accident.
FieryBlitz

Okay, who the hell let LOLTOMINO write tonight's episode of Space Dandy?