Space Dandy

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Overlord Zaru

Space Dandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o480GrsQGmo

I can't believe a thread of this wasn't made yet. Shame on the all of y'all.

Anyways, Space Dandy is created by Shinichiro Watanabe, the man responsible for the classics: Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. The story is about the dandiest man in space going on WACKY SPACE ADVENTURES with his companions, the Robot QT and the cat alien Meow.

Now get in here and get hype.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
LightningCount

Re: Space Dandy

I'm definitely aware of it. Seems a cross between Space Adventure Cobra, Redline, and Cowboy Bebop--with extra emphasis on Space Adventure Cobra. One wonders how an anime recalling the earlier, pulpy days, and doing it so tongue in cheek with such a rarely seen visual style will do within the current anime fandom. (Particularly after how many people surprisingly seemed to yawn at Redline). I'm intrigued so far, but not totally hyped. I think I might have preferred something with a little more seriousness--maybe to Outlaw Star's level at least (which was a bit Space Adventure Cobra-ish itself). But at least it's something different from the norm, as all the aforementioned series I noted were.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Ryujin

Overlord Zaru wrote: I can't believe a thread of this wasn't made yet.
That's because, since it's from BONES, we were also discussing it in part in the Captain Earth thread.

Also, you forgot to post VIVA NAMIDA.

Never thought I'd see
Spoiler
Lady Liberty with a ball gag. Thomas Romain must've gotten to whatever Shoji Kawamori's been smoking for a while.
Zeether

I already posted this in the Gundamn! news thread, but this is going to get a simultaneous broadcast and dub on Toonami in January (at a new 11:30 timeslot) courtesy of FUNimation (in addition to streaming). Pretty awesome if you ask me. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... in-january
bullethead

Somebody at Bandai and/or Cool Japan is finally competent enough to realize that the best way to prevent piracy is to release a dub in as many regions as possible.
Zeether

Well, considering how Bebop was more popular outside Japan (although I'm not sure if Champloo was either and Kids on the Slope kind of came and went), I figured Watanabe and Bandai Visual would push to get it released worldwide ASAP (especially since they had that BONES panel here where they announced it).
LightningCount

Thanks for the update. Wow. I never thought something like this would ever happen. Seems too good to be true. Still, one must wonder if the series went too far into comedy for the Toonami fanbase compared to Cowboy Bebop. Time will tell.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Arsarcana

LightningCount wrote:Seems a cross between Space Adventure Cobra, Redline, and Cowboy Bebop--with extra emphasis on Space Adventure Cobra.
Sold! Will definitely be giving it a look once it comes out. *goes back to watching Valerian and Laureline*
Zeether

Update on this: Jason DeMarco, who runs the Toonami stuff at Williams Street (he also goes by Clarknova) said the air date and the episode count aren't confirmed just yet. Originally the episode count was 2 cour (26 episodes). Guess they jumped the gun a bit.
Ryujin

Latest Toonami short teaser

Space elf zombie nurses?!? Okay.
Zeether

The dub cast got announced a week or so ago:

Dandy - Ian Sinclair
QT - Alison Viktorin
Meow - Joel McDonald
Dr. Gel - J. Michael Tatum
Bea - Micah Solusod
Perry - Kent Williams
Honey - Alexis Tipton
Scarlet - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Narrator - R. Bruce Elliott
Overlord Zaru

So we have Brook as Dandy, Kuroko as QT, Minato Sahashi as Meow, and WHITEBEARD as the narrator.

This is gonna be a good dub. Shame we didn't get Steve Blum but, oh well. This is good enough.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Zeether

ANN posted a link to the dub trailer, which features Misfits' "I Turned Into A Martian" (which won't actually be in the show, it's just Toonami promo music, but it works well) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... nglish-dub
HDKirin

Ian Sinclair really fits Dandy. It'll be hard choosing which to follow, since Junichi Suwabe is pretty amazing too.
YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | Steam | Last.fm
PSN: Zankantou (NA) | HDKirin (JP)
JulieYBM

Mihara Michio Tweeted on November 8 that the first six episodes were in the can. BahiJD also tweeted a few weeks ago that a number of his cuts went straight into film without clean-up. Bahi also did cuts that required no in-betweens because of all of the key animation he provided. Bahi animated using flash, so it's going to be exciting to see how he pulls this all off.
She/Her
Deacon Blues

"This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."

I laughed...

Also why did they use a Lazerhawk song in the background? Is the original BG music not available? 0_o;
Zeonista

Well, it is Shinichiro Watanabe, so I have to watch at least 1 episode. This series desperately wants to return to the two-fisted style of certain Eighties heroic science fiction anime. It wants to be the new Space Cobra, but it is more Space Cobra the way Roger Moore was James Bond to Sean Connery. :P
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
bullethead

According to a translated Famitsu article on NeoGAF, Dai Sato (one of the writers) rated Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon as his Game of the Year for 2013, so that probably explains some of the show's tone.
Zeonista

JacobYBM wrote:Mihara Michio Tweeted on November 8 that the first six episodes were in the can. BahiJD also tweeted a few weeks ago that a number of his cuts went straight into film without clean-up. Bahi also did cuts that required no in-betweens because of all of the key animation he provided. Bahi animated using flash, so it's going to be exciting to see how he pulls this all off.
Well then, at least it will be good-looking from the technical standpoint.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
JulieYBM

Zeonista wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:Mihara Michio Tweeted on November 8 that the first six episodes were in the can. BahiJD also tweeted a few weeks ago that a number of his cuts went straight into film without clean-up. Bahi also did cuts that required no in-betweens because of all of the key animation he provided. Bahi animated using flash, so it's going to be exciting to see how he pulls this all off.
Well then, at least it will be good-looking from the technical standpoint.
The action cuts are bound to be good. Since this is Bones we'll probably see quite a bit of Nakamura Yutaka and some freelancers besides Bahi. The rest of the product...is a crapshoot. :P
She/Her