New Mecha Anime From BONES- Captain Earth

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Vent Noir

Re: New Mecha Anime From BONES- Captain Earth

Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
nacho-wan

lol. What do they were thinking when they named this show? That and the hat on the Earth Engine are the two things that make me cringe on this show.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Mythgarr

Well, I cringed right from where they showed the Earth Engine "Expansion Sequence" :P
I meant, you already have Albion right? Why Earth Engine too?
Visit The Dreams
ZeonsSilverStar

Went through the first four episodes this afternoon and I wasn't wowed at first the show is growing on me now. Now I assume that Globe has more Earth Engines than the Impacter and Albion. You can't defend a planet with just two machines.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Zeonista

This show is turning out to be a lot of fun. It is having fun with the old Super Robo tropes, but at the same time it is giving the hit of the strangeness & wonder of making contact with beings who are not truly like us, despite the attractive exterior. :) The multiple robots make things interesting, and the regular-size mecha suit that appeared in the recent episode showed the action was not confined to mobile skyscrapers.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
kayone73

Saw the first couple eps so far, not really doing it for me, too much of a Star Driver feel. I hope they don't insert that length-tedious docking gattai sequence every time the mecha is deployed, but I suspect they will to save animation time
PowerdGNFlag

For that matter, we haven't seen the Earth Engine in action since Episode 2. I'm supposing that this is not a one-cour series, since it is clearly taking its time to develop (or muddle up) the story.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Compass

Looks like we'll be getting more Earth Engine next episode.

Edit - Also intense irony that Ep 2, Daichi was given back his boomerang because it was a toy, and then episode 6 :lol:
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

I did not like this episode. Daichi doesn't hit the guy with whatever it is the Livlaster shoots, but instead hits him with a boomerang. I have had rudimentary experience with boomerangs. Those things are fast. They were meant as a killing weapon you know. If it hits you on the head it should in theory bash it in.

I'm not an expert, is it possible to throw a Boomerang slowly? I do recall trying that and if there's not enough momentum, the club won't curve back.

EDIT: And at this point, does anyone here know what's going on. I'm afraid I'm just stupid or missing something. Here's the main question: does the villain guy in charge of Macbeth not realize the two Designer Children are actually Kiltgangs? It plays out like he does, but then turns around and calls them his children. And then the two of them go to PAK and tell him to keep lying to him. What about, exactly? That the Kiltgangs will eat EVERYONE and not just mostly EVERYONE?

What I'm not getting at is why the Designer Children, if they ARE Kiltgangs as I understand them, can't start eating everyone when they come to Earth. Teppei's conversation leads me to believe their glowing cube souls are inside them at all times. So why no giant Evaesque transformation?

Bleh, I guess I'm not thinking about it right or just too darn hard. Well, anyone want to help poor little 'ol me? :?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Compass

The 7th episode explains things a tad more. I'm thinking a lot of things are designed in that "Unreliable narrator" theme on purpose, like us not understanding if Designer Children were attacking in Kiltgangs from another location entirely.

In other words, we, like Daichi, have a "rough" idea of what's going on, but not everything is visible for the time being.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
JDogindy

Amion wrote:I did not like this episode. Daichi doesn't hit the guy with whatever it is the Livlaster shoots, but instead hits him with a boomerang. I have had rudimentary experience with boomerangs. Those things are fast. They were meant as a killing weapon you know. If it hits you on the head it should in theory bash it in.

I'm not an expert, is it possible to throw a Boomerang slowly? I do recall trying that and if there's not enough momentum, the club won't curve back.
I don't think so. If the boomerang is thrown "slowly", it'll just hit the ground. There has to be a fair amount of velocity affixed to it.
EDIT: And at this point, does anyone here know what's going on. I'm afraid I'm just stupid or missing something. Here's the main question: does the villain guy in charge of Macbeth not realize the two Designer Children are actually Kiltgangs? It plays out like he does, but then turns around and calls them his children. And then the two of them go to PAK and tell him to keep lying to him. What about, exactly? That the Kiltgangs will eat EVERYONE and not just mostly EVERYONE?

What I'm not getting at is why the Designer Children, if they ARE Kiltgangs as I understand them, can't start eating everyone when they come to Earth. Teppei's conversation leads me to believe their glowing cube souls are inside them at all times. So why no giant Evaesque transformation?

Bleh, I guess I'm not thinking about it right or just too darn hard. Well, anyone want to help poor little 'ol me? :?
I had a pretty lengthy explination, but for some reason, this forum is spazzing on me right now. I'll try to post what I did have.

The main villain is listening to what the Macbeth system is telling him, but as far as we are concerned, it is merely relaying information that the Kiltgang is providing him. And it's pretty clear that the Kiltgang isn't going to just go and say that they have plans to wipe out every single person on Earth, so he's fallen for it. He hasn't figured it out entirely, and I'm also sure he doesn't go outside a lot, considering that every scene he's been in has him talking to that machine.

The villain who decides not to think about variables is surprisingly common.

But, frankly, I've needed this type of show. Valvrave disappointed me, and Buddy Complex pissed me off with its reliance on narm and thinking this is serious thinking.
Amion

So I guess the staff didn't realize a boomerang is lethal when it hits someone in the head? :P

Well, it's like they say I guess, if someone shoots they're guilty but if it's a club that uses its aerodynamics to spin in an arc back around on the target it's ok. Because boomeranging people is cool. That, and if you're stupid enough to fall for the boomerang not coming back than you deserve it. :D

Ok, I guess the unclear narration makes sense. Still, I can't wrap my head around the Designer children unless the actual Kiltgang soul cube is in a separate location from their bodies. Which might explain the machines, which I believe have been said are a bit of a mystery as to who built them. Probably PAK, I'm guessing.
Compass

Well, the other similar anime (for some reason I keep using this for like 90% of weirdness) would be Eureka Seven Ao. We don't have a 100% grasp on the story or one of the supporting characters until waaaay into the series. Truth :evil:

The soul cube, for example, appears to be a physical representation of a soul. If it is unbreakable, you are immortal, and it sounds like it cannot be destroyed by normal means either.

As to the boomerang being lethal, I'm sure it could be if his wasn't, as described in episode 2, a toy, but the goal is to just show that Daichi doesn't want to cross a line.
JDogindy

Compass wrote:Well, the other similar anime (for some reason I keep using this for like 90% of weirdness) would be Eureka Seven Ao. We don't have a 100% grasp on the story or one of the supporting characters until waaaay into the series. Truth :evil:

The soul cube, for example, appears to be a physical representation of a soul. If it is unbreakable, you are immortal, and it sounds like it cannot be destroyed by normal means either.

As to the boomerang being lethal, I'm sure it could be if his wasn't, as described in episode 2, a toy, but the goal is to just show that Daichi doesn't want to cross a line.
Yeah, we won't truly understand this show until episode 15, probably.

Exactly on the last line. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have minded seeing that glasses-wearing coffee addict get a hole through the head, but Daichi doesn't want to kill anyone because he would have to live with it, regardless of the type of individual he killed. Frankly, I prefer my standard mecha heroes to be sort-of pacifists who limit their fatalities and try to avoid moments of hypocrisy to a bare minimum. And are aware of cause and effect.
Amion

JDogindy wrote:
Compass wrote:Well, the other similar anime (for some reason I keep using this for like 90% of weirdness) would be Eureka Seven Ao. We don't have a 100% grasp on the story or one of the supporting characters until waaaay into the series. Truth :evil:

Yeah, we won't truly understand this show until episode 15, probably.

Exactly on the last line. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have minded seeing that glasses-wearing coffee addict get a hole through the head, but Daichi doesn't want to kill anyone because he would have to live with it, regardless of the type of individual he killed. Frankly, I prefer my standard mecha heroes to be sort-of pacifists who limit their fatalities and try to avoid moments of hypocrisy to a bare minimum. And are aware of cause and effect.
I want them to be as much like Yazan as possible in the way they fight department. :twisted: Preferably with just a smidgen of Garrod or Judau in the character area. But being MLY still works for me.
Compass

I still don't understand the purpose of so many Livlasters. It'd make sense if there were multiple suits that used Livlasters, but we're at 3 Livlasters and one Earth Engine (with an, IMO anyways, absolutely painful transformation method).

Also, the mecha fights in this anime are not that great... It always feels like the Earth Engine is outclassed, and using technology far below Kiltgang levels. They might as well send the characters out in space suits firing Livlasters, because at least that seems to be effective at destroying things.
Amion

After seeing the latest episode I have to agree. But thanks to next week we actually are getting a fight in the basic Earth Engine and a pretty cool looking Kiltgang model.

I am kind of surprised we won't be seeing Albion again. His design was pretty cool. Kept giving me a Midna from Twilight Princess vibe with those horns. Then again, his cube is gone so I guess he's not a Kiltgang/Designer Child anymore.

I...do not guarantee there will be more Earth Engines. But their should be.
nacho-wan

This series is far too slow getting somewhere, this is what week seven and they haven't yet explained most of the basic plot elements? I hope this pays in the end because so far it has been very disappointing, I'm yearning for seen the Earth Engine unleash a epic barrage of firepower -all of that massive frame for a couple of missiles and some vulcans?! sure it has to carry absurd amounts of fuel but might as well get some power.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Compass

I've noticed as well that the fight sequences certainly aren't anywhere epic, falling massively short of anything we'd consider even episode 1 Gundam-level with basica abilities like daggers and vulcans.

It detracts from the fact that this was catered as a mecha anime, but to be fair, there have been quite a few mecha animes where the pilots, and not the mecha, are given the majority of stream and commentary time.

Bokurano, for example. The suit is arguably forgettable, but the characters were so developed and real, no one really minded.

This one, it appears, is trying to go with the "Characters, not mecha" route, but has come up somewhat short on that end too.

We get a rough idea of the leads at the moment, but at Episode 8-ish, we're missing a lot of character and the mecha could have been a stick figure at this point.

I mean, seriously, we had an issue a few episodes back where the Space Commander Ex Wife's daughter basically ran an undercover mission BEHIND HER BACK. And she was like "Well, whatever, at least you really wanted to visit me."

I guess, the issue is, the main character has yet to appeared fallible. Giant robot attacks? Laser handgun! Out of batteries? Laser handgun! Evil bad guy abducts princess? Boomerang! The characters certainly aren't unlikeable (no arrogant "I'm a mecha pilot hero respect meeee" a la Kurogane no Linebarrels) but the way they can do no wrong sets the bar pretty low.

It's like, this anime is trying to aim for a 6-10 age group rather than teens. I don't even know if this product can sell toys considering how complicated the Earth Engine actually is to form.

I'll probably stick with it through since it hasn't bored me to death like some other animes I've watched, but I'm ready to say this is going to be mediocre at the level of Gundam AGE.
nacho-wan

@Compass I agree with you with most everything, except the target audience. I'm betting this guys are either gonna deconstruct the super robot cliche or are going to go hard core on it -we are just missing some plot part that get the pilot going and If I'll have to guess it would be the school girl of episode 1.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into a second Valvrave: cool looking mecha, lame story.

And hey, what is wrong with the badass actitute of Linebarrel's ?! I thought it was nice having a straight hot blooded fool hero. Not every pilot should be gloomy like most real robots tend to be.
-Henry I. Miller