The Official Gundam ZZ Discussion Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam ZZ Discussion Thread Mk I

I know we've had many topics on ZZ over the years, but it's time for an official one now that it's being legitimately released through Daisuki. As of this post the first 10 episodes are available, so discuss away.

EDIT: For those who intend to marathon, hold off on episode 10 for now because it accidentally has episode 9's subtitles. Also, if you're a first time ZZ viewer, you might want to skip episode 1 because it's just a clip show talking a bit about ZZ and showing grainy old footage from MSG and some clips from Zeta.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
iCards

Re: The Official Gundam ZZ Discussion Thread Mk I

Marathoned the first ten episodes on youtube hopefully they continue to load more.

The comedic aspect makes for interesting fights: cockpits opening and closing at a moments notice, the MC playing Tarzan to take over enemy MSs, Zeta getting some DBZ fist fight action, etc.

On some other notes you can see how thin the Argama's crew and supplies are following Zeta: Bright is having to help with cargo/catch a chicken, Torres(the Argama's NAVIGATOR) has to pilot the Methuss at one point; and he gets it ripped to the point where the Argama can't use up what they have left to patch it, they even have to send the Zeta into a fight without its backpack in episode 9.

Then You have Neo Zeon's troops who are so "green" it's funny and sad at the same time. Even Mashymre notes how inexperienced his troops are when they can't tell dummy asteroids from the real ones. Of course this is after he ordered to go charging straight ahead.
BrentD15

iCards wrote:Then You have Neo Zeon's troops who are so "green" it's funny and sad at the same time. Even Mashymre notes how inexperienced his troops are when they can't tell dummy asteroids from the real ones. Of course this is after he ordered to go charging straight ahead.
To think all their training on Axis during the previous years would have hardened them up a little. :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
toysdream

For the most part, the official timeline seems utterly disconnected from the events as they play out in the animation. But I suppose, if you accept the timeline's claim that it took a year and a half for Axis to travel from the asteroid belt to the Earth Sphere - which is actually pretty reasonable in real-world terms - then the newest round of recruits wouldn't have had any opportunity to practice navigating around asteroids, since they would have been trained while Axis was in interplanetary transit.

Mashymre, on the other hand, may have started earlier. Some early publications claimed that he was nicknamed "Comet of the Asteroid Belt," which implies that he actually had some flying experience in that neck of the woods.

-- Mark
Arbiter GUNDAM

It's kind of a dichotomy: On the one hand, I'm thrilled that we're finally getting a Gundam series that wasn't released here in America. On the other... I don't really like ZZ all that much. :D

Still, I'll do my part and stream the episodes just so they know they're being streamed.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:It's kind of a dichotomy: On the one hand, I'm thrilled that we're finally getting a Gundam series that wasn't released here in America. On the other... I don't really like ZZ all that much. :D

Still, I'll do my part and stream the episodes just so they know they're being streamed.
Agreed. I'm not sure if I'll properly watch ZZ since I've already seen it and have other stuff to do including fitting in watching Wing and Destiny HD. But I would like to see the official translation and if nothing else I want to support what is probably our best avenue to see not just more Gundam shows but more shows in general.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Being released by Daisuki? What does that mean? Is it getting a legit physical release here in the US or is it something online related? Is it only in sub or does it have dub?
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
ShadowCell

it's streaming and subtitled.
Zeino

So now that's it's available to a much wider audience than ever before, Do you think ZZ will be finally be able to judged on it's merits and flaws by the anime fandom as opposed to going along and parroting the opinions of the fans who watch it back in day with fansubs ?
HellCat

Zeino wrote:So now that's it's available to a much wider audience than ever before, Do you think ZZ will be finally be able to judged on it's merits and flaws by the anime fandom as opposed to going along and parroting the opinions of the fans who watch it back in day with fansubs ?
Depends. I'm seeing alot of said idiots telling people not to bother watching because it's icky and horrible and ruins Zeta!

If people can ignore that stupidity, it stands a chance.
Dark Duel

As much as I loved Z(and it is among my top five favorite Gundam works), I found its ending distinctly unsatisfactory in a couple of aspects. Not the least of which is it leaves a rather major plot line hanging. Plus, I'm sorry, but the biosensor has to be quite possibly one of the top three biggest arse-pulls I've ever seen. And Scirocco mindraping Kamille when he should've been reduced to a red stain on the Zeta's shield irritated me beyond belief. But what irritated me the most was Henken.

Anyway, on to ZZ. Personally, I saw maybe about half of it years ago, and I remember liking it in spite of (or perhaps because of) its rather slapstick first few episodes, which were a refreshing change after the increasingly dark and wangsty Z. Plus, as protagonists go, right off the bad Judau is A LOT less annoying than Kamille. Because I am sorry, but in about the first fifteen episodes, Kamille IMO is quite possible the most annoying main protagonist in UC Gundam (Thankfully, he got better).
But I find myself enjoying ZZ immensely so far.
Back when I saw it, I thought this was hilarious. I still do.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Jake

This show was a trainwreck.
HellCat

Jake wrote:This show was a trainwreck.
Would you care to elaborate on this feeling?
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote:As much as I loved Z(and it is among my top five favorite Gundam works), I found its ending distinctly unsatisfactory in a couple of aspects. Not the least of which is it leaves a rather major plot line hanging.
A plot line that's left hanging because it was immediately followed by its sequel ZZ. I can understand knocking Zeta if it had no sequel to continue the story, but it does. That's like hitting the middle movie of a trilogy for leaving things hanging when you're clearly meant to watch the sequel.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
BrentD15

Missle Dropkick to the groin would make anybody fall. :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Arbiter GUNDAM

OK, let's try this for discussion: Glemy's Rebellion

Just going on what we see in the show (so no 'Glemy is the illegitimate son of Ghiren' or Gundam Sentinel stuff), why does anyone in Neo Zeon feel the need to follow this guy over Haman? He calls Haman incompetent but she was able to bully the Federation with impunity and was able to get her to give them Side 3. I'm sure she also expected them to try and betray her at some point as well.

All in all, it just makes it seem like a very ill-conceived power grab on Glemy's part but doesn't really explain why other Neo Zeon soldiers would follow him. Besides the fact that they all seem a bit stupid-crazy. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
toysdream

Although the precise nature of Glemy's relation to the Zabi family isn't made clear in the animation, he does use that blood relation to convince people like August to follow him, so I think that's got to be a factor.

More generally, I suspect that a lot of the Neo Zeons are frustrated by Haman's subtle approach. I know that sounds silly given that she drops a colony on Dublin, but Glemy's followers would probably have preferred to start with that, rather than sending diplomatic missions to the Sides and throwing parties at Dakar.

-- Mark
BrentD15

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:OK, let's try this for discussion: Glemy's Rebellion

Just going on what we see in the show (so no 'Glemy is the illegitimate son of Ghiren' or Gundam Sentinel stuff), why does anyone in Neo Zeon feel the need to follow this guy over Haman? He calls Haman incompetent but she was able to bully the Federation with impunity and was able to get her to give them Side 3. I'm sure she also expected them to try and betray her at some point as well.

All in all, it just makes it seem like a very ill-conceived power grab on Glemy's part but doesn't really explain why other Neo Zeon soldiers would follow him. Besides the fact that they all seem a bit stupid-crazy. :D
Yeah, that really confused me, too.
Maybe he just had some charismatic charm on him or something? :mrgreen:
HellCat

Are there any official figures for just how much Axis is split between OYW veterans and newly trained rookies? Obviously we generally see the rookies but if there is a split in opinion it makes sense we'd only be generally seeing those Haman trusted.
Deathzealot

I do have a question about Double Zeta. I saw an image once of a Nemo trying to take on a Gundam, don't know which one it was but could have sworn it was Zeta or Double Zeta but it has been a while since I saw it. Anyways question is which episode is this from?

And yes I am eager to see if they can release other Gundam Series that never saw an American release this way.