Sunrise in talks for more license rescues!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Re: Sunrise in talks for more license rescues!

HellCat wrote:Stephanie Sheh is a small woman but the half second look she gave me when she briefly thought I was illegally downloading Unicorn would have sent an army into retreat.

Her love of Japanese animation is not to be underestimated :?
And if you were? Big freakin deal. What the hell is she going to do about it? Not a damn thing. Oooh, a dirty look! I'd be shaking in my boots! Hah.

I know the whole "Funi using fansub" thing is old, but I find it kind of odd they would use something that is (often times) grossly inaccurate. That is unless they're (fansubbers) using closed captioning, but still... (I'm looking at you gg and Commie, why bother anymore?). Just because they're using it for a dub doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be accurate in the long run. Then again the Unicorn dub did stray quite a bit from the original meaning...
HellCat

Deacon Blues wrote:
HellCat wrote:Stephanie Sheh is a small woman but the half second look she gave me when she briefly thought I was illegally downloading Unicorn would have sent an army into retreat.

Her love of Japanese animation is not to be underestimated :?
And if you were? Big freakin deal. What the hell is she going to do about it? Not a damn thing. Oooh, a dirty look! I'd be shaking in my boots! Hah.
It's easy to say that when you aren't two feet away from a woman who looked ready to rip out my rib cage and play it like a xylophone.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Deacon Blues

I'm a store manager... I think that trumps your little 2 second worry ;)
bullethead

JacobYBM wrote:
bullethead wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:I'm hoping FUNimation doesn't receive the licenses. Their practice of removing the original credits and title cards leaves me feeling rather nonplused.
Huh? If you're referring to the stuff they put on Toonami, they have to do that to make room for ads.
No, for the home video releases.
Might be contractual obligations or they got masters that were like that. Those seem to be the major causes of weird problems with modern anime releases.
HellCat

Deacon Blues wrote:I'm a store manager... I think that trumps your little 2 second worry ;)
I'm just picturing that bit with the killer rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail...
ProfessorMecha

So, now that this has been announced, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... me-expo/17 does this mean we're getting a ZZ dub?
Strike Zero

Uh, no.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I wouldn't count on it. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
RLZIII

Well, it seems pretty clear that they are planning to release Gundam ZZ subbed at least. That's a good sign. I know that many people will have the "believe it when I see it mentality," which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I find it interesting that Turn A Gundam wasn't chosen, considering that was next up for Bandai. But any new Gundam being officially released in the US is a good thing. Hopefully the talks with Funimation and Sentai go well and we will also see a Blu-ray and/or DVD release. After ZZ, the only series that haven't been officially released in the US are V, X, Turn A, and AGE (even though AGE was steamed in English, I'm pretty sure we never got a US steam).

My hope and dream (where are you, Chirs?) is that eventually Daisuki will have all of the Gundam series up for steam in Japanese with English subs. This could take a while (especially with the series that don't have official subs), but would be a great thing for English-speaking Gundam fans.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Thank God! I was this close to paying $200 for the MSG boxsets (still kicking myself for not getting them while they were still in print).
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
wielder

No news on Gundam nor on several ex-Bandai Bones shows like the original Eureka 7 I'm afraid, but several Sunrise series have in fact been officially rescued today. From the ANN articles:

Funimation
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
The Vision of Escaflowne
Escaflowne: The Movie
My-HiME
My-Otome
My-Otome 0~S.ifr~
My-Otome Zwei
Tales of the Abyss
Witch Hunter Robin
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Angel Links
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Passage of the Stars - Birth
Sentai Filmworks
Sacred Seven
The Big O
The Big O II
Argento Soma
Betterman
s-CRY-ed
Z-Mind
Zegapain
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami The Animation
Brain Powerd
Overman King Gainer
Soul Eater, the True Rune
LightningCount

wielder wrote:No news on Gundam nor on several ex-Bandai Bones shows like the original Eureka 7 I'm afraid, but several Sunrise series have in fact been officially rescued today. From the ANN articles:

Funimation
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
The Vision of Escaflowne
Escaflowne: The Movie
My-HiME
My-Otome
My-Otome 0~S.ifr~
My-Otome Zwei
Tales of the Abyss
Witch Hunter Robin
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Angel Links
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Passage of the Stars - Birth
Sentai Filmworks
Sacred Seven
The Big O
The Big O II

Argento Soma
Betterman
s-CRY-ed
Z-Mind
Zegapain
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami The Animation
Brain Powerd
Overman King Gainer
GREAT NEWS. I bolded the ones I am most happy about above. I wonder what masters we'll get, as some of these have been redone in Japan. Not that I require a specific mastering, just curious.

I think that Eureka 7 may be delayed in terms of a rescue to make way for Eureka 7 AO's brand. Something like Wolf's Rain might be delayed due to a future remastering project in Japan. And as for Gundam, well, Wing is just coming out on blu-ray, so they may want to wait before re-releasing that to avoid reverse importation. We still don't know the state of the Gundam license given that Nozomi got Unicorn. Curious that Sentai got Big-O Season 1 and 2 rather than Funimation. That probably sinks a Season 3 funding project from surfacing.

Still, a lot of great announcements on some titles that I can't recommend enough. (Well, Escaflowne I have a bit of hesitation on due to its latter episodes, but its ambition and quality sort of make up for that).
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Quiddity

Glad to hear about King Gainer, I have the entire series except the last disc which I'm finding is next to impossible to find unless I want to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

Alas, wish Eureka Seven was on that last, wanting to rewatch it but I only have the 1st half of the series since the second half is another extremely rare/expensive set to get.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
ProfessorMecha

I wonder if they're holding back on announcing Gundam or if they've just flat out rejected any idea that they can make it work overseas.
bullethead

ProfessorMecha wrote:I wonder if they're holding back on announcing Gundam or if they've just flat out rejected any idea that they can make it work overseas.
Contract negotiations may still be ongoing. There's a hell of a lot of material to deal with and Gundam BF's announcement throws a spanner in the works too. If Sunrise demands that the licensor try to get BF on TV, that slows things down as the licensor tries to get a rights deal that leaves them enough money to actually pursue the TV deal.
Chris
Administrator

bullethead wrote:Contract negotiations may still be ongoing. There's a hell of a lot of material to deal with and Gundam BF's announcement throws a spanner in the works too. If Sunrise demands that the licensor try to get BF on TV, that slows things down as the licensor tries to get a rights deal that leaves them enough money to actually pursue the TV deal.
Let's not kid ourselves here. We're probably beyond the point of seeing Gundam broadcast on TV ever again in America. Streaming a show like ZZ on Daisuki is a much lower barrier for entry and not as significant an investment as broadcast if it ends up failing.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
bullethead

Chris wrote:
bullethead wrote:Contract negotiations may still be ongoing. There's a hell of a lot of material to deal with and Gundam BF's announcement throws a spanner in the works too. If Sunrise demands that the licensor try to get BF on TV, that slows things down as the licensor tries to get a rights deal that leaves them enough money to actually pursue the TV deal.
Let's not kid ourselves here. We're probably beyond the point of seeing Gundam broadcast on TV ever again in America. Streaming a show like ZZ on Daisuki is a much lower barrier for entry and not as significant an investment as broadcast if it ends up failing.
Honestly, if Funimation does get the rights to Gundam, I can see 00 or one of the 90s Gundam productions showing up on Toonami since Jason DeMarco has expressed his desire to get Gundam back on the block. I'm highly skeptical about Gundam getting back on daytime CN or Toonzai, but I can't discount the possibility entirely, since Bandai does have a lot of leverage it can use. For example, Bandai makes toys for CN's Ben 10 series, which is why every episode of Eureka 7 on Toonami had a Ben 10 ad show up first during the first commercial break - the ads were probably part of a deal to extend AS's license long enough for the broadcast run to finish.

That said, you're right about Daisuki being a less risky investment, but on the other hand, look at what they've put on there so far from the Gundam catalog - Zeta, ZZ, Seed Remaster, and Unicorn. Two are older Tomino shows that might alienate western viewers, a remastering of show that did better in Canada than the US and never really hit big, and the fairly popular OVA that will never get on TV due to episode length. Putting all of these on a streaming site is a no-brainer, because there's no chance they'd get on TV ever, even with Toonami's revival and success. It's the ultimate safe play and doesn't really give us any insight into what Bandai's long term strategy (or lack there of) might be.
Chris
Administrator

When you keep talking about TV for anime though, you're talking about the past. All the major players have embraced streaming because it's easier for them to put things out when they want and how they want. And it's obviously a lot cheaper than getting something on TV. I don't see that much of a future for anime on American TV anyway, beyond just Gundam. But even with what you're saying, Bandai never put that much effort into pushing shows after Wing. Aside from appealing to Wing nostalgia, I honestly see absolutely zero reason why CN would ever want to broadcast a Gundam series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
LightningCount

Chris wrote:When you keep talking about TV for anime though, you're talking about the past. All the major players have embraced streaming because it's easier for them to put things out when they want and how they want. And it's obviously a lot cheaper than getting something on TV. I don't see that much of a future for anime on American TV anyway, beyond just Gundam. But even with what you're saying, Bandai never put that much effort into pushing shows after Wing. Aside from appealing to Wing nostalgia, I honestly see absolutely zero reason why CN would ever want to broadcast a Gundam series.
I see where you're coming from and agree in a lot of ways, but ANN's podcast interviews in recent months suggest that companies are very much interested in pursuing TV time, and that it makes a significant difference in terms of visibility and sales of titles. That said, Toonami's Jason DeMarco says he would love to have Gundam Wing and/or Turn-A Gundam on TV. Not that it would ever happen, but he has a vote, and he's interested in that happening in his "dream" lineup.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
HellCat

Quite simply, I think Gundam being back on TV needs a more realistic approach that Sunrise don't quite seem capable of. After MSG basically bombed and they expected US audiences and licensors would eat up Zeta... We all know the obvious problem is they seem convinced the franchise's traction in Asia magically transfers internationally when it obviously doesn't. You'd really need more realistic projections on their side of the table.

Not that the networks are blameless. Putting a slow show like SEED on the revised once a week Toonami really didn't do it any favours.