Attack on Titan Anime Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: Attack on Titan

I will admit I jumped the gun a bit. But for some reason, the dialogue in the preview seemed...off.

And I think Soma is right, people who haven't enjoyed the manga are enjoying this more. Although I for one tend to prefer manga over anime, AoT is definitely so far been excellent. Ok, so the next episode is Walls? :mrgreen: Yeah, I needed better translations, because I didn't get anything but another Stohess district number. Part three is it?

Strike, check the ed theme again, have you noticed that particular scene referencing the cliffhanger? I've seen it for a while now but now that we are on the threshold, I wanted to make note of it.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Strike Zero

Up to this point, I've only been spoiling myself on major plot points and not actual manga chapters, so I doubt I would get the reference even if I did see it. Although, if the cliff hanger your referring to isn't the reveal that
Spoiler
the walls are Titans
then I imagine you must be referring to the appearence of
Spoiler
Monkey Trouble.
Well, whatever it might be, we'll definitely be finding out for sure come Saturday
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Amion

The first one. There's a sequence in the ed theme that shows them.
Destiny_Gundam

So with this show coming to a close, I was wonder if anyone here would be interested in doing a Gundamn fan chat episode on it?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Strike Zero

............Huhhhhhh.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I certainly wasn't expecting that.

After the episode was over, I decided to read the manga chapter it was based on.
Spoiler
Basically, they skipped over the scene where Mikasa, Hanji, Armin and a bunch of others learn that there are Titans in the walls, leaving the "reveal," such as it was (I'm sure plenty of anime-only viewers are going to be hella confused as to what it meant) for a brief two-second stinger at the end.

As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty lame. Had they opted to follow the manga more closely and fade to black with everybody gaping up at the hole in the wall while the mysterious Titan stares back at them, it would have been much more dramatic and climactic of an ending. Not to mention, I'm not sure how they plan to follow up from this if/when a second season rolls around.

That said, while I wish it had been better, this doesn't really change my opinion of the anime as a whole. I bring this up because as soon as the episode ended, there were already people flipping their shit going "BAWWWWWWWW EVERYTHING IS RUINED, -999999/10 ADAPTATION, COMPLETE GARBAGE, WORST ANIME OF THE DECADE", etc. While having a weak ending is lame, it doesn't cancel out all the fun I had with the rest of the show, and that's what I'm going to take away from this.

In conclusion: here's hoping that season two doesn't take forever to come along, though I'm sure that the staff requires a much-needed break at this point.

'Til then!

EDIT:
P.S.

Titan Eren on Fire.

That shit. Was off the chain. 8)
Destiny_Gundam

As far as cliffhangers/sequel hooks go, the way it's presented is far more effective. As a non-manga reader all I could do is go "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" And now the wait for a second season begins (I'm not a fan of the manga's art so I may or may not decide to read it).

I do like how this arc was only 3 episodes. The others did feel pretty dragged out at times.
Spoiler
Annie vs. Eren
was pretty awesome.
Compass

That zing at the end was well-executed. I look forward to a Season 2 if they make one :D
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

Yeah..... :cry:
Spoiler
I thought the episode was beyond awesome until the end. Really, they couldn't milk the most milkable moment for all it was worth? No extra crumbling? Like maybe have some chip off bit by bit in cutscenes between each scene with Eren, Erwin, and Armin? Nope, just a blip at the end with guitar music. Not the best way to show such a reveal
I wanted it to happen with a choir or better yet, stark silence of disbelief. :cry:

But overall, this series was still awesome as heck. Best show in years hands down.
Destiny_Gundam

How is "completely sudden and unexpected" a bad way to show a twist like that?
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:How is "completely sudden and unexpected" a bad way to show a twist like that?
I would imagine it happening at the end of combat like in the manga where everyone isn't quite paying attention and then someone just screams and they all look up.

And then boom, ending theme.

By and large it isn't bad by any means, and anyone who hasn't read the manga will be stoked. Speaking of a second season, really, really hope it is going to come later. The manga does not have material enough for twenty five more episodes, it just doesn't. Maybe twelve at most, or perhaps if they reaaaally elongate it, like with Trost, than perhaps fifteen. But not enough. then again, if said season comes this time next year let's say, than we could have something workable.

I can almost swear by the fact there will be a continuation, given its reception. It was all good over in Japan, right? :?
Destiny_Gundam

Maybe, but then there'd be nothing but cliffhanger. This way things end with a resolution of the arc, so if there's no second season then at least it had something resembling an ending.

As for a second season, they've spoken about it.

The mangaka also wants to end the series with 20 volumes so given enough time we can have it go right to the end.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I decided to sit back and think on the ending of Attack on Titan unlike some parts of the internet (there are message boards out there about this show that scare me).

After a day or so, I will say this, I love the fans of AoT...by that, I mean the true fans. The moment the episode was released, people's reactions were violent and hateful...claiming the ending "RUINED EVERYTHING"...but a day passed, the smarter fans watched it and told all the haters to shove it. These are the kind of fans that I wish were everywhere, the kind of fans who stick by a show, are intelligent enough to read up on the facts and why things happen, and calmly form their own opinions.

Wish they did something different? I can understand that, but hate all over Titan? Never!

I honestly think the haters of the ending were just looking for an excuse! They are the kind of people who ALWAYS look for holes and inconsistencies in the popular anime of the season (SAO,Fate/Zero, ect), but Attack on Titan never gave them the opportunity. Yes, there were moments that weren't the best and dragged on a little long, but I will get to that later.

Right now I would like to announce that I have read all the manga of AoT and the BRIEF prologue chapter as well...WHICH MEANS I AM IMMUNE TO SPOILERS!!! Take that!

So now? Obviously I can see how some were annoyed by the ending, compared to the manga's chapter. It makes sense considering!

Before that though...didn't I call this ending? :)
Soma Taozi wrote:Honestly I would be surprised if they ended on a cliffhanger. Due to the fact that I don't think many anime's have ever done that... Berserk obviously comes to mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if AoT ended with a 'happy ending' only for season 2 (if there is one) to crush all that in whatever the hell you guys are talking about.
So yes, they could have done the scene where everyone is shocked, but I agree with Destiny_Gundam, it makes sense from a story perspective to end the season with more closure. Erwin is determined to find the other Titans, Eren and Mikasa have a moment, the rest of the characters are looking for the future...it all worked out pretty well.

Besides, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see how they can easily work this into a season 2:
Spoiler
Compared to the anime and the manga, it just takes awhile longer for the rocks to fall away on the wall that show the Titan's face. So in terms of continuity, and since that happened at night, no sun has touched that Titan. It might not be Mikasa who sees it...but it will be someone and the priest (no doubt returning to the battle scene where a bunch of his followers were killed) warns them to cover the head. Then boom, everyone knows and the story can move on...Hanji threatens killing the priest, ect, ect, minor characters fully developed, ect

Overall? I obviosuly LOVED AoT!

It had everything I wanted in an anime and more! It was dark, complicated, compelling, emotional, with great character development, amazing music, heart-pounding action, female characters with PERSONALITY(WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE!??), and no unnecessary fan-service (or any at all for that manner).

The fans are great and hilarious, the story ONLY gets better with every arc, and the twists and turns are unpredictable!

A MUCH watch and I will defiantly buy the show the moment it gets released here in North America. This is one of those anime's that are so great, you can probably show them to a non-anime fan and they would fall in love.

BUT, there are flaws! I was going to harp on the under-developed side characters, but
Spoiler
the next few arcs of the story take care of that...so yeah...nothing to say there.

But I think the biggest issue is the pacing and sometimes the show can drag. That is one of the problems with a story like this...where it is like a movie and watching it ALL at once would probably BLOW you away. But since we get 1 episode a week? Sometimes arcs can drag...but I have a very high tolerance for those things so it was never an issue personally. That being said, I think the story really kind of dragged around the episode 11-12 range (with a little in 10, I guess).

But the story picked itself right back up and moved ahead. So overall, it is no exaggeration for me to say that this is the best anime I have seen in years. I don't normally get so emotionally invested in an anime, but this show...this show...it put me on the "Feels" train and I stayed for a LONG time. ...but I will stop there, because I am mixing my opinion on another show that ended tonight into these thoughts.

Season 2 AoT! Season 2! Obviously wait until about this time next year for more content, but GIVE US A SEASON 2!

Now excuse me as I go formulate my thoughts on Breaking Bad. Good night!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

Great review Soma, I'm ashamed to admit I was upset at first, although I did enjoy the Eren vs. Annie battle in anime, that was simply brutal and awesome, with more emotional weight.

I'm glad that you read the manga. I think several people on here were complaining about how the side characters were not getting developed, I was just so frustrated with myself not being able to tell them that that is simply not the case! :mrgreen:

And of course, some will become very relevant...I do hope for a Season 2, it can't come too soon! Ok, well, yeah I want it to wait until it has room, but still....*Drools*
Destiny_Gundam

Amion wrote:I'm glad that you read the manga. I think several people on here were complaining about how the side characters were not getting developed, I was just so frustrated with myself not being able to tell them that that is simply not the case! :mrgreen:
I don't see why you couldn't just say "Don't worry, they get developed later on."
Strike Zero

Maybe because, spoilers? Part of the suspense of Attack on Titan is wondering who will or won't die horribly once the new episode rolls around.
Amion

Exactly. I could say that certain characters get developed, like Annie, for instance. Then we all know that she lives and doesn't end up half eaten.
Destiny_Gundam

That's why all you had to say was "Don't worry, the secondary characters get developed later on." You didn't need to name names or anything.
Strike Zero

I fail to see how that's any different from what Amion is talking about. Being vague about something doesn't prevent it from being a spoiler, especially when by "side-characters" they are undoubtedly referring to a certain sub-group of people.

For example, I got my first spoiler way back on page one when Amion offhandedly mentioned how we were in for some sort of big reveal about Eren, when I had no idea there was even going to be a reveal in the first place.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Honestly guys I think it comes down what people consider spoilers. It can range from character names to EPISODE titles...so semantics? Personally I always feel like it is better to be safe then sorry...especially on other forums...
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Strike Zero wrote:For example, I got my first spoiler way back on page one when Amion offhandedly mentioned how we were in for some sort of big reveal about Eren, when I had no idea there was even going to be a reveal in the first place.
In that case, you heard something about a very specific character. Just saying that "side characters will be developed later on" doesn't tell you much. You don't know which side characters will be developed, or if they'll survive it or not. All you know is that some characters at some point will get development, which should actually go without saying.