The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

I was obviously talking about /m/ and their horrible posters

They bitch about things they don't watch/read like HF
Xenosynth

Ah, so I did originally interpret it correctly, yeah. I thought you were talking about the board since yesterday, but I forgot to post. Honestly I think we might all be a bit on edge. Chill pills all around?
Gundam420

balofo wrote:I was obviously talking about /m/ and their horrible posters

Sort of like how you whined and complained about Origin, G-Reco, and UC Episode 7 despite having not seen them yet? Takes one to know one. Either way it's pitiful to let a cartoon/anime affect someone like that.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
balofo

Gundam420 wrote:

Sort of like how you whined and complained about Origin, G-Reco, and UC Episode 7 despite having not seen them yet? Takes one to know one. Either way it's pitiful to let a cartoon/anime affect someone like that.
LOL, is this the new duelgundam?
Gundam420

balofo wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:

LOL, is this the new duelgundam?
Don't make me laugh (Eh whatever I'll do it anyway). If anything you're more like DuelGundam because you love spouting out BS and have no idea why anyone calls you out on it.
balofo

Stop bullying me :)
Gundam420

balofo wrote:Stop bullying me :)
Yeah yeah, whatever dude.
Kratos

Well, the trailer has me (even more) hyped. I can't access an English-language version of it, though - what's Frontal saying to Banagher at the end there, after the dates and ads and stuff?
Xenosynth wrote:After reading Bande Dessinee, I feel the ECOAS team in that seems a lot darker than what we saw of them in the anime. Were they similarly portrayed as such in the original novels?
I really should read the BD one of these days. I've held off for a while, probably because the poor OVA seems to get a lot of undeserved flak for its take on events and I'm stubborn in my loyalties like that, but I'm also all for reading a fleshed-out version of the story too and I'm not really gaining anything by not doing it.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Gundam420

Kratos wrote:Well, the trailer has me (even more) hyped. I can't access an English-language version of it, though - what's Frontal saying to Banagher at the end there, after the dates and ads and stuff?
He says: "It's the miracle again. Nothing will change."
BrentD15

Xenosynth wrote:Zeonista: If that's true, that makes me sad, because I think I'm considered part of this generation (1993). I just... I dunno. I'm starting to get a reverse blues because of all this backlash and negativity over what to me seems like nothing.

On topic: After reading Bande Dessinee, I feel the ECOAS team in that seems a lot darker than what we saw of them in the anime. Were they similarly portrayed as such in the original novels?
Mind if I hop in that generation boat? :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Angelo Sauper

Gundam420 wrote:I don't understand how one can be a fan of the franchise for a long time and then suddenly going so negative for... no apparent reason. It's kinda disheartening.
It's not hard to understand, really. If one invests a lot of their time and attention towards a franchise, they're eventually going to get bored, discover flaws or tire of repetitive clichés and marketing moves.

After Gundam Build Fighters happened, it the Neo Zeong was the straw that broke the camel's back in regard to my interest in Gundam. Now I admit, my problems with Gundam are my own, I think I just ended up spending a few years being interested in Gundam and finally I got bored/outgrew it, but I can't help but roll my eyes at when I see or read certain things now.

Things like Build Fighters and the Gundam fan culture have just really pushed me away from it lately. It's not that I don't enjoy Gundam itself, I think Mechatalk is one of the better places for finding interesting discussion, just that so much of the Gundam internet community now is "I NEED THIS MODEL KIT! MAKE IT FOR ME BANDAI! I NEED THIS VIDEO GAME!", it ticks me off, and I completely understand Tomino's alleged animosity towards this sort of culture.

I think the Gundam franchise should be put down. It's not going to happen, of course, but even suggesting it seems to rile up Gundam fans. One can't even write any criticism against Gundam lest the fans the turn on you.

While I don't think Balofo needed to take a jab at Unicorn in a Unicorn thread, it's no surprise that he's looking forward to something that isn't Gundam. Gundam is stale.
latenlazy

Angelo Sauper wrote: Gundam is stale.
Hence my excitement for G-Reko :D
HellCat

I don't think it's the case that a fan can't be negative, I'd say it's more the other factor you mention- Gundam fans tend to be rather needy. Maybe it's a knock on effect from it being a major commercial franchise but there is in general a low tolerance to thinking of fellow fans, sadly. Which I find ironic given one of the key themes. Likewise, I had to laugh at the 'always changing' tagline of the 30th anniversary, since Gundam is money for old rope.

There are plenty of fans I've encountered who either think a straight kill or at least a long rest would be best for the franchise. I tend to side with the latter, thinking if they could come back with something different and creative it'd be a big help. If nothing else a break would probably make a new Gundam work more appealing to people. But Bandai at least tend to lump Gundam in with the brands of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, which keep going year after year and rely on the fact it will always be new to someone.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Kratos

Angelo Sauper wrote:While I don't think Balofo needed to take a jab at Unicorn in a Unicorn thread, it's no surprise that he's looking forward to something that isn't Gundam. Gundam is stale.

Of course, some of his jabs were because THE ORIGIN isn't going to have enough pew-pew 'splosions and isn't going to a retread of classic material - in other words, it's going to be something relatively new to the franchise. I think some of the reactions here have been a bit unfair to him - claiming that you just want a show that has taken 4 years to END ALREADY is a perfectly fair sentiment, I think. It's just that being tired of the snide, passive-aggressive negativity permeating every one of his posts is also a perfectly fair sentiment. Nothing about this is constructive.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Xenosynth

Angelo Sauper wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:I don't understand how one can be a fan of the franchise for a long time and then suddenly going so negative for... no apparent reason. It's kinda disheartening.
It's not hard to understand, really. If one invests a lot of their time and attention towards a franchise, they're eventually going to get bored, discover flaws or tire of repetitive clichés and marketing moves.
Under a spoiler tag, just because it's a ramble, and a Xeno ramble at that, but I just want to make sure my opinion is known so I'm not blanketed with others >.>;
Spoiler
I dunno. I guess just for me it's still exciting and new (I think I technically got into the series 4 years ago, I can't pin it down exactly). I've watched every series now. I've read many side stories, many MSV books, and technical manuals (My favorite being the 4 Master File Archive books, but I also like the classic perfect/fact files). Build Fighters to me was a really fun show. I enjoy buying and building my model kits, as well as when new one get announced. I enjoy spending time thinking of alternate custom MSVs that'd fit in universe, and I also enjoy debates on morality and characters within the fandom as long as people aren't outright resorting to flaming one another.

What is disheartening for me isn't that people have criticism, it's that... I dunno. I guess I'm just weird about it. I had a talk with Mark about it since he's been a fan for a long time, and I'll say what I said to him. For me, I enjoy gaining SOMETHING from each series, even ones like Age. Even side stories that are boring, etc. I always find something to learn from it, some idea, a mecha, a character, or even a setting, because I feel it's hard to make something a failure on all grounds.

I don't want to tell fans to act like me however, and I don't wanna force my behavior, because then I'd just be being an ass. And while I've been a bit harsh on Balofo, even when him and Gundam420 were arguing I would rather them have taken it to PMs or just cooled it, hence the whole chill pill comment (Though it seems I was overlooked or just ignored about that.)

What's disheartening for me is when all these old fans are sighing about every new thing, I feel like a 'bad fan' because I'm usually excited. I'm into buying the merchandise (I see fans that hate the entire model culture), for enjoying what they feel is killing a series, for not completely hating on shows that are considered terrible (and are terrible), etc. For someone who is a part of that to have older fans looking down on me, I guess it feels like I need to force myself NOT to be that way, but I don't really want to. Again, I dunno. Maybe it's just because I'm weird and overly sensitive or something. But I also hate feeling like I'm a contributor to a problem of all old fans enjoying something because I want people to enjoy it. So that's why I say that, and that's why I don't know what to do, because I want to enjoy the show my way, but I don't want that to also impede on older fans enjoying it.
Edit 1: Okay, paragraph is back in now.

Edit 2: To clarify, this isn't me complaining about anyone's opinion or anything, it's just a rebuttal to Angelo, just to make my stance known, just as he let us in on his. I don't believe I am disrespecting anyone in here, so yeah. I just spoilered it because I know some people wouldn't wanna read through here.
Last edited by Xenosynth on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
balofo

Chris or other mod just delete all this off topic s***.

And for the guys who are offended by my opinions please go get a girlfriend or something :)
Chris
Administrator

Ok everyone, this is going far enough. For everyone else here, whatever your disagreements with balofo, stop ganging up on him. However, by the same token balofo, you need to stop antagonizing people. You can't expect people to not react negatively after your recent childish tantrum regarding the 35th anniversary.

Everyone get back on topic or I'll start deleting the last few pages of this nonsense and start handing out warnings.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
BrentD15

Xenosynth wrote:
Angelo Sauper wrote:
Under a spoiler tag, just because it's a ramble, and a Xeno ramble at that, but I just want to make sure my opinion is known so I'm not blanketed with others >.>;
Spoiler
I dunno. I guess just for me it's still exciting and new (I think I technically got into the series 4 years ago, I can't pin it down exactly). I've watched every series now. I've read many side stories, many MSV books, and technical manuals (My favorite being the 4 Master File Archive books, but I also like the classic perfect/fact files). Build Fighters to me was a really fun show. I enjoy buying and building my model kits, as well as when new one get announced. I enjoy spending time thinking of alternate custom MSVs that'd fit in universe, and I also enjoy debates on morality and characters within the fandom as long as people aren't outright resorting to flaming one another.

What is disheartening for me isn't that people have criticism, it's that... I dunno. I guess I'm just weird about it. I had a talk with Mark about it since he's been a fan for a long time, and I'll say what I said to him. For me, I enjoy gaining SOMETHING from each series, even ones like Age. Even side stories that are boring, etc. I always find something to learn from it, some idea, a mecha, a character, or even a setting, because I feel it's hard to make something a failure on all grounds.

I don't want to tell fans to act like me however, and I don't wanna force my behavior, because then I'd just be being an ass. And while I've been a bit harsh on Balofo, even when him and Gundam420 were arguing I would rather them have taken it to PMs or just cooled it, hence the whole chill pill comment (Though it seems I was overlooked or just ignored about that.)

What's disheartening for me is when all these old fans are sighing about every new thing, I feel like a 'bad fan' because I'm usually excited. I'm into buying the merchandise (I see fans that hate the entire model culture), for enjoying what they feel is killing a series, for not completely hating on shows that are considered terrible (and are terrible), etc. For someone who is a part of that to have older fans looking down on me, I guess it feels like I need to force myself NOT to be that way, but I don't really want to. Again, I dunno. Maybe it's just because I'm weird and overly sensitive or something. But I also hate feeling like I'm a contributor to a problem of all old fans enjoying something because I want people to enjoy it. So that's why I say that, and that's why I don't know what to do, because I want to enjoy the show my way, but I don't want that to also impede on older fans enjoying it.
Edit 1: Okay, paragraph is back in now.

Edit 2: To clarify, this isn't me complaining about anyone's opinion or anything, it's just a rebuttal to Angelo, just to make my stance known, just as he let us in on his. I don't believe I am disrespecting anyone in here, so yeah. I just spoilered it because I know some people wouldn't wanna read through here.
I'm sure there are people that feel intimidated by the vocal minority of the "old fans" that hate on whatever ground the newer Gundam series tread.
Because, to be honest, are we more willing to voice our opinion on something we like, or something we don't like?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Xenosynth

I guess I can understand that. One of the things I'm hoping he explains is why he'd want the 'franchise' to die. If he doesn't enjoy it, I imagine he could just ignore it, or just... get involved with the parts he likes. Or just go on a Gundam Hiatus. But saying that you want a good franchise to just die (Especially with Gundam, which has clean slates all the time due to AUs), just... makes no sense to me. New things allow new fans. If a franchise dies you won't really resurge and pull in more new fans. And to me, the more people who also enjoy it, the better. Again, I can under every part of what he is saying except that last part.

Anyway, yes. Any answers on the Unicorn question about ECOAS being a lot darker in the novel?
balofo

ECOAS kills everyone in the Vist mansion raid including maids. They also kill Neo Zeon soldiers inside the Nahel.