The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

I think Yas is trying to avoid painting Zeon and his followers as saints. In the original show most of what we hear about Zeon himself tends to make Char's crusade sound deserved, so Yas seems to be trying to put more man in the myth. I don't know if he'd have declared war himself but you don't become a revolutionary without being at least a little conceited. Zeon's insanity in the volume seems to be a case of being either hereditary (Char and Sayla's mother worries about this and it could be a partial nod to what Char himself becomes in the main UC timeline) or a side effect of slow poisoning.

"Make life rue the day it tried to give Zeon Zum Deikun lemons!"
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Zeonista

This is part of the stuff I want to see in the forthcoming OADs. :) Zeon Zum Deikun was an inspirational and messianic leader, but we shouldn't expect him to have spoken to his disciples like Gandhi or Jesus. He was the leader of a successful radical independence movement, but the people of the new Republic of Zeon still needed encouragement so as not to get cold feet on Contolism. Hence the raise-the-roof speeches. It reminded me a bit of old Fidel Castro back in his early newsreel days. :) The cult of personality that runs through the Zeon factions very obviously had its origin in Zeon himself, so one should expect bright-eyed, sometimes wild-eyed, devotion to the living man, and the idealized version of the dead man.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Erisie

Kratos wrote:I always thought that Side 3 was called the Republic of Zeon under Deikun and the Principality under Zabi rule. I knew about it being called Munzo from what little I did translate of this volume, so I was curious about how that fit in; I guess I thought it was an alternate name, or a Federation euphemism, or something?
Side 3 had its "official" name, Munzo, until the Zabis turned it into a dictatorship. They changed the name from "Munzo" to the "Principality of Zeon" (and the capital to Zum City), as a homage to the memory of Zeon Zum Deikun. The Republic of Zeon is the name the post-war rump state took for itself.
Kratos

Which makes sense, but it does beg the question as to why the Zabis change it a second time.

Anyways, I guess we'll find out.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Erisie

Kratos wrote:Which makes sense, but it does beg the question as to why the Zabis change it a second time.
What second time?

(before 0068) - 0073/0074(?): Autonomous Republic of Munzo. I like this retcon: the original one had Zeon Zum Deikun naming the country as himself. That reeks of cult of personality.
0074 - 0080: Principality of Zeon: Renamed by Degwin in memory of Deikun and his ideology.
0080 - 0100 (?): Republic of Zeon. The reorganized state that formed after the death of all the Zabis, and the remaining leaders sign an armistice with the Earth Federation.
ShadowCell

I do like that they named it after his first name, though. Good thing he had a memorable first name or they would've wound up with, like, the Principality of Larry.
toysdream

Yeah, it would seem pretty megalomaniacal for Deikun to formally name his republic after himself. The Japanese phrasing is flexible enough that it could be interpreted as "Zeon Republic" - i.e. an informal nickname, like "Weimar Republic". After the One Year War, you could see the logic for calling it the "Republic of Zeon," but I think it's unfortunate that this translation has been applied to the pre-war republic as well. If the Origin anime reverses that, I hope it'll stick. :-)

As for the first-name thing, this just seems to be standard UC practice. "Supreme Commander Gihren" and all that.

-- Mark
Kratos

Erisie wrote:What second time?

(before 0068) - 0073/0074(?): Autonomous Republic of Munzo. I like this retcon: the original one had Zeon Zum Deikun naming the country as himself. That reeks of cult of personality.
0074 - 0080: Principality of Zeon: Renamed by Degwin in memory of Deikun and his ideology.
0080 - 0100 (?): Republic of Zeon. The reorganized state that formed after the death of all the Zabis, and the remaining leaders sign an armistice with the Earth Federation.
That second one should read REPUBLIC of Zeon - in volume 5, Roger Aznable says:
My son...dropped out to go to Munzo - well, the Republic of Zeon as it's called now - to apply to the military academy there.
That's on p.389, for reference. So at some point before the OYW, the Zabis change the name from Republic to Principality, which is if course the term used throughout THE ORIGIN's main story.
Erisie

Kratos wrote:
My son...dropped out to go to Munzo - well, the Republic of Zeon as it's called now - to apply to the military academy there.
That's on p.389, for reference. So at some point before the OYW, the Zabis change the name from Republic to Principality, which is if course the term used throughout THE ORIGIN's main story.
I'm going to check out my volume, but it seems you're right. The Zabis kept the "Republic" name at first, only to shift towards a monarchical "Principality" later on.
denbo786

The 12th Aizouban is slated for release on June 26th, with 400 pg, looks like they might be including "The Night Before", "Amuro 0082" & maybe "Artesia 0083" along with the contents of vol. 23, or potentially something entirely new.

Update: the final volume has now been pushed back to the 26th of August
Last edited by denbo786 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kratos

That's awesome! Where'd you get the info, though? I did a quick check but couldn't find it listed on Kadokawa's site or on Amazon Japan...
denbo786

I spotted the release info over on http://allthatgundam.web.fc2.com/comic/index.htm which is usually very reliable
Kratos

Preorders for vol. 8 ("Operation Odessa") are up.

Also, apparently Vertical will be selling vol. 6 at AnimeNext this weekend, a couple weeks ahead of schedule.
HellCat

My copy shipped earlier today.

*jumps on Rozen Zulu* From here on out, it's a race!
HellCat

Got my copy of volume 6.

Continues the pre war stuff, including how Char met Lalah and how the Gundam came to be.

The former is really good but suffers from some mild stereotyping (there's a Middle Eastern assasin who fights with a boomerang blade ring).
Also, Lalah refers to 'Japon'...I forget if that's an error or one of those weird UC flubs that went official in translation.

Extras are Yas discussing his recent colour covers and a 2 page colour ad for Knights of Sidonia.
Kratos

The cover for volume 7 has been updated on Amazon.

One trend I'm noticing is that Vertical is adding clarifying words to the volume titles - "Battle of Loum" instead of "Loum", "Operation Odessa" instead of "Odessa", etc. It doesn't exactly BUG me, but I did like the one-word impact of those titles in Japanese.

EDIT: Oh my god, Amazon preorders for a 12th Aizouban are up!
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I received my copy of volume VI earlier today and I just finished reading it.

Honestly I'm liking Origins better than the actual series. It's just awesome to finally see all the things that came into play before war broke out between Zeon and the Federation. I can't wait till I get my hands on the next Volume.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Ceiling_Squid

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:I received my copy of volume VI earlier today and I just finished reading it.

Honestly I'm liking Origins better than the actual series. It's just awesome to finally see all the things that came into play before war broke out between Zeon and the Federation. I can't wait till I get my hands on the next Volume.
"The Origin", not "Origins".

Sorry, since The Origin anime was first announced and people suddenly were aware of it, I keep seeing this mistake made, and it really peeves me. "Gundam Origins" sounds like a crappy fanfic, in following with the generic overused subtitle rule (along with "Revelations", etc. etc.)

Aside from that, volume six is pretty fantastic.

I have noticed one thing, and it's bugging the hell out of me...and for once, it's not the translation. I think Yas (whose work is otherwise impeccable) messed up some stuff during the MS battle on the moon.

Panel-to-panel, I have to keep counting the number of shoulder pads on each of the Zaku I units. Immediately prior to section VII, he seems to forget that he'd previously depicted all of the Zaku I units with two shoulder pads - from then on (moments later, chronologically), these seem to disappear without explanation, and vary from panel to panel sometimes.

Minor quibble, but it really strikes me as bizarre to have such a strange continuity error in the art itself.
HellCat

Gundam Origins ends with Lalah using her Newtype powers to make Bask keep walking until his feet bleed.
Deacon Blues

Interesting that Vertical refuses to acknowledge that バンチ (番地) doesn't mean Bunch. They have Dozle screaming "This is Dozle of Capital Bunch Command." Cuz, ya know, that makes soooo much sense.