The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

Apparently they're planning to do the entire OYW part later as evidenced by the latest interview on the official site mentions the Past Arc.

It seems the FT delays were because Sumisawa was already working on Origin.

If true the CGI and Katoki redesigns will kill it for me...
nickh46

I saw in the character art of that interview a certain Zeon officer along with Jimba Ral, I presumed designed for the year UC 0068.

This going to be pretty awesome because
Spoiler
when Sayla Mass is captured in A Boa Qu, he recognizes her as Artesia Som Deikun, orders her freed, pledges his military forces to her, and helps her lead a mutiny against Kycilia.
AmuroNT1

balofo wrote:It seems the FT delays were because Sumisawa was already working on Origin.
GOOD. He can stay there forever.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Kratos

I just received my copy of the final aizouban, and it's nice to finally have the complete series! It's 400 pages (longer than vol. 11), and includes 3 extra stories: Casval 0057, Artesia 0083, and Amuro 0081.

That Casval one is interesting. It depicts Astraia on the verge of giving birth to Casval, hiding out with Deikun from political forces that would want to interfere with the birth of Deikun's first child (he even makes hackneyed religious references to Bethlehem and Jesus! That's our Deikun). But they aren't alone - the Zabis are there to protect them! We get to see Grade School Kycilia and Super Punk Mohawk Dozle, as well as Gihren in his unfortunate rat tail phase. There's also an incredibly young girl (like, she sneaks out of elementary school, I thought it was Garma at first) that helps deliver the baby that is obviously supposed to be Hamon (they call her クラウレ), but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense; I know Hamon was younger than she said when she worked at Eden with Astraia, but surely not *that* young. That aside, it's a cute story, which is quite the feat coming from a tale about the Zabis and Deikun.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
nickh46

Cool stuff bro, thanks for the gouge!

I kinda had a hunch the final Aizouban was going to have the extra side stories. It was delayed for quite a while, then the release date conveniently pops up right after the last Amuro side story chapter was released on Gundam Ace and Comic Walker. That's what people call . . . a clue. It will put into rest whether Vertical will release the "Volume 12" now and what exactly will be in it too.

If it really is Casval "0057", does that mean Char's age is retcon'ed as well? Same as Dozle, Kycilia, and Gihren? It wouldn't be the first time (Bright, Mirai).

This may be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping for more sidestories from Yas like this in the future. Since he went way early with 0057, it would be cool if he went way forward too. Considering he did work on character art for Unicorn and all, see if he would find a way to showcase how
Spoiler
The Republic of Zeon rejoins the Earth Federation in UC 100. If it featured someone like Sayla accepting her name as Artesia, it would be the perfect full circle for the Deikun legacy that has started in the prequels and was further showcased in the Casval story.
But then again, wishful thinking.
HellCat

Volume 7 received after some delays. Story stuff is good but I'm noticing typos and such, even on the back cover. One that is really awkward is Dozle yelling at Ral, which gets formatted as "HELL WHY NOT THE?!", looking clearly as if the right to left Japanese style confused whoever did the text, made worse when the very opposite page gets the formatting for such yelling right.

I know this is old ground by now but I'm still not a fan of how characters talk. I think it's the fact this is applied to everyone, so the idea that this style of speech is particular character tics doesn't really come across.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Deacon Blues

HellCat wrote:Story stuff is good but I'm noticing typos and such, even on the back cover.
Not sure what typo you're referring to on the back cover, but if it's the "[S]eriously good literary entertainment." part, that's not a typo. They were quoting material and had to change the capitalization of a word.

Gihren's speech in the beginning makes me giggle... I can't see him using the words "sure" or "splendid citizens". Doesn't make sense for a rousing speech. I see they also went with "bunches" yet again. Heck, in this instance they had "island" spelled out right there to mean the colony itself :/ Guess the translator also missed the fact that Japan isn't called Nippon outside of, well, Japan.
Kratos

He uses both "Japan" and "Nippon" (comparing the names) in the Japanese version. You can debate how necessary keeping it as "Nippon" actually is, but it was probably because of that that it was kept. And the "bunch" thing...well, they aren't going to change it now, are they? It's not really a glaring error to anybody but people who keep up on the latest Gundam translation trends, and it would create an inconsistency with the past volume.

But yeah. The dialogue remains a bit of a sticking point, and unfortunately, that's unlikely to change at this point.
Zeonista

Kratos wrote:I just received my copy of the final aizouban, and it's nice to finally have the complete series! It's 400 pages (longer than vol. 11), and includes 3 extra stories: Casval 0057, Artesia 0083, and Amuro 0081.

That Casval one is interesting. It depicts Astraia on the verge of giving birth to Casval, hiding out with Deikun from political forces that would want to interfere with the birth of Deikun's first child (he even makes hackneyed religious references to Bethlehem and Jesus! That's our Deikun). But they aren't alone - the Zabis are there to protect them! We get to see Grade School Kycilia and Super Punk Mohawk Dozle, as well as Gihren in his unfortunate rat tail phase. There's also an incredibly young girl (like, she sneaks out of elementary school, I thought it was Garma at first) that helps deliver the baby that is obviously supposed to be Hamon (they call her クラウレ), but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense; I know Hamon was younger than she said when she worked at Eden with Astraia, but surely not *that* young. That aside, it's a cute story, which is quite the feat coming from a tale about the Zabis and Deikun.
Reasons enough for me to get the volume right there. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
abaoaqu

Mine came in today. I liked art buff M'Quve.

The scene with the kids near the end was kinda cute.
Letz the little badass...!
Сиг Зион!
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

A few days ago I received my copy and boy is it awesome to see how the battle of Loum played out.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Powerman293

I've been renting these from the library, and the nice anonymous person who buys all of the Gundam stuff and donates to my library hasn't donated Volume 7 yet.... if they have it.
Chris
Administrator

Vertical finally confirms that their release will be 12 volumes, including Casval 0057, Amuro 0082 and Sayla 0083, plus other extras.

http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/102 ... 12-details
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Powerman293

Chris wrote:Vertical finally confirms that their release will be 12 volumes, including Casval 0057, Amuro 0082 and Sayla 0083, plus other extras.

http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/102 ... 12-details
I don't know what those extra stories are. Are they extra parts of the Origin?
Kratos

Yes, they are. I posted a description of the Casval one a few posts back. Artesia 0083 and Amuro 0082 are both shorts that take place after the war. None of them are long; Casval is one chapter, and I believe the other two are 2 chapters long.

I find it interesting that they "got the contract" for volume 12 just now. They've been saying that they have the license for all of the Aizouban any time anybody has asked about the number of volumes for quite some time now; is there anything about vol. 12 that would place outside of that initial agreement? It wasn't released when they licensed the series, I guess, but nothing else about it places it outside of that jurisdiction.
Chris
Administrator

Kratos wrote:I find it interesting that they "got the contract" for volume 12 just now. They've been saying that they have the license for all of the Aizouban any time anybody has asked about the number of volumes for quite some time now; is there anything about vol. 12 that would place outside of that initial agreement? It wasn't released when they licensed the series, I guess, but nothing else about it places it outside of that jurisdiction.
It's probably precisely the fact that the 12th aizouban didn't exist when they first licensed this thing in 2012. They probably had to go back and negotiate separately to get this 12th volume released.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kratos

Just got ahold of my vol. VII. Some thoughts:

-The bit on Iffish was everything I remembered and then some. Yas played the contrast between cold, documentary-style narration and the direct personal moments like a fiddle in this volume. Such a great approach to use for this bit of the backstory.

-Operation British more or less played out like I expected, but I don't remember ever hearing it referred to by that name, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen it depicted as THREE impact points. I really liked that touch, though - I thought it justified the destruction a bit better than one impact in Australia.

-The buildup towards the first major clash was really well done - lots of pent-up aggression on both sides and quieter moments with those who aren't in the thick of it (until it comes to their doorstep).

-While I can't say that I've read a ton about the Battle of Loum (mostly just Mark's threads), it really played out differently than I expected, mostly in that there was no wholesale slaughter of the Side and its colonies (that I picked up on, anyways). It seems to me that Loum, in THE ORIGIN, was significant due to it being the first decisive battle of the war, rather than the site of a massacre.

-Sayla meeting with Tachi addressed something that bugged me about the whole identity swap concept from the time I first heard of it. So that was cool.

-Unlike vol. VI, there wasn't really any moment where I felt the story stumbled - basically everything was tense and exciting all the way through, from the Zabi family dynamic to the behind-the-scenes politics to the battles and beyond. I think it's really a testament to the quality of Yas' art and story content that it can shine through the murk of Vertical's clumsy localization. I'd love to read this series localized by somebody who can write actual dialog.

-While I maintain that changing "bunch" at this point in the story would only serve to contradict how it was used before, I did find that it sounded kind of awkward in context this time around (when it regularly used to refer to a single colony). That's the only thing that really bugged me from a translation standpoint, dialog aside - well, that and "Aunt Bow". I don't have my Japanese copy on hand, but I'd bet that Letz called her "obasan", which in this context would mean "old lady" rather than "aunt".
Calubin_175

Since Katoki is credited, then we might expect the RX-78 to be similar to his Metal Composite Origin Ver.ka figure.

If that's the case, then I have just wasted my money pre-ordering it since an inevitable MG will be released.

This is kind of odd. Certainly, the Origin manga brought back Okawara's retro feel, but then the anime adaptation seems to be used as a platform to animate One Year War MS in Ver.Ka style. Being CGI, they may draw some cues from concept models from MS Igloo.

I won't be surprised if the yellow Prototype Gundam will get a makeover.
Powerman293

Calubin_175 wrote:Since Katoki is credited, then we might expect the RX-78 to be similar to his Metal Composite Origin Ver.ka figure.

If that's the case, then I have just wasted my money pre-ordering it since an inevitable MG will be released.

This is kind of odd. Certainly, the Origin manga brought back Okawara's retro feel, but then the anime adaptation seems to be used as a platform to animate One Year War MS in Ver.Ka style. Being CGI, they may draw some cues from concept models from MS Igloo.

I won't be surprised if the yellow Prototype Gundam will get a makeover.
I wonder if they're gonna shove in the RX-78-01 Gundam just to sell a ver Ka Master grade recoloring of the 3.0

Also, do you guys think Sunrise is gonna implement the day prior stuff in the Origin in the final episode. Like, the day before the zakus show up to side 7.
Kratos

I've been holding off on buying an RX-78 3.0 in hopes of getting an ORIGIN edition.

Although, the likelihood of getting an all-inclusive version ala the Metal Composite is probably pretty slim, all told.