The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

And maybe whatever they tacked onto it in the SEs, although that's not guaranteed - the Seed HD discarded at least one arguably significant change I can think of that the SEED SEs had made to the series.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Dark Duel wrote:And maybe whatever they tacked onto it in the SEs, although that's not guaranteed - the Seed HD discarded at least one arguably significant change I can think of that the SEED SEs had made to the series.
What change did they discard?

From what I remember they had just about everything from the SE's? Kira and Flay having sex, Tolle's more gruesome death, seeing Rau's face, and even the extra conversation between Lacus and Kira about the latter's mother was all apart of HD Remasered. The only thing they discarded that comes to mind was Dearka killing Clotho...which I didn't really like in the SE anyway... since Yzak's take down of the Raider was (and I don't use this word often) badass.

EDIT: They also removed Mu's helmet from the debris of the Strike.
Last edited by Soma Taozi on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Silver_August

Dangerous_D wrote:I'm kinda wondering why they even bothered doing an HD remake for Seed D, the last episode was awful, they had to do a makeshift remake of the final episode which was a little better, I wouldn't mind getting Seed HD Remaster if they dubbed it and released it in the US
despite the critical failure of the series it was still technically a commercially success and apparently still popular in japan according to popularity polls.. of course I only hear this from Robberrtt184's videos, but never the less even I'll yelled it was one of the more successful alternate universes.

And from another stand point, if your going to remaster SEED, what's it gonna hurt to remaster the follow-up? and double dip with some DESTINY kits too, along with a chance to release some more Astray MSVs and maybe an MG Savior gundam? it Ultimately comes down to the reason we get any new gundam series at all and that's to sell merchandise, models, toys, pillows, whatever Shinn's angst will fit on!

Honestly...as a guy who's quickly finding himself wanting more and more Cosmic Era kits... I can't complain now if you excuse me I gotta contemplate over getting the HG Verde Buster..
JulieYBM

Silver_August wrote:
Dangerous_D wrote:I'm kinda wondering why they even bothered doing an HD remake for Seed D, the last episode was awful, they had to do a makeshift remake of the final episode which was a little better, I wouldn't mind getting Seed HD Remaster if they dubbed it and released it in the US
despite the critical failure of the series it was still technically a commercially success and apparently still popular in japan according to popularity polls.. of course I only hear this from Robberrtt184's videos, but never the less even I'll yelled it was one of the more successful alternate universes
Oh, it was a financial success alright.
She/Her
Dark Duel

Silver_August wrote:Ultimately comes down to the reason we get any new gundam series at all and that's to sell merchandise, models, toys, pillows, whatever Shinn's angst will fit on!
Much as I personally like Shinn, I really think it's more of whatever Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne's faces will fit on :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

i wonder, was DESTINY actually a critical failure in Japan? or does it not make sense to ask after the critical success or failure of anime shows in Japan the same way one would ask after the critical success or failure of a movie in North America?
Amion

Apparently doesn't matter to Bandai. And in the end, that's all that matters, sad to say.

But I must still echo shadowcell's question about this. Was Destiny a critical failure? Because I seem to recall someone saying it was criticized at some point in Japan. Surely not all the reviews over there were favorable.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
azrael

I guess it depends on your definition of "failure". While "emotionally" loathed, the sales figures of SEED and SEED Destiny tell another story.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Silver_August

Well, the entire HD Remaster project seems to continue a trend of Bandai of ignoring stuff that can be considered a commercial failure while continuing to support whatever was a technical success.

Like with Cosmic Era we got the Remasters (which btw make me feel really old when I stop and realize they're 10 years old now...) with Wing, another success right? We got new manga (that series has got to stop saying Mobile Suits were never heard of again...) and MG releases of the redesigned suits in Anime Colors.

But where's that DVD Release of Turn-A? ...or an MG V2? (I LOVE the V2 design... I'd settle for even just a High Grade!) G-Gundam gets some love but not nearly enough. Though the puzzling one would be AGE which you'd think was a failure but they keep making projects for it... but I don't complain I love the engineering there.

But back to Destiny, I could easily just throw all this success vs failure argument aside and just bring up the Bandai has nothing going on till next year with Unicorn's finale so...why not Remaster Destiny into a 39 episode anime (taking out all the clip shows and fixing the pacing... I'm predicting somewhere around that many episodes) while making money off Gunpla for both UC and CE fans, give us MGs we always wanted anddddd then announce a Crossbone Gundam OVA! Or maybe an original idea that all fans can come together and agree is a fine, well told story that we can all love...

or that SEED movie the kids keep talking about, I dunno! I'm the guy who looks at the Savior and still doesn't get why people like it!
ShadowCell

azrael wrote:I guess it depends on your definition of "failure". While "emotionally" loathed, the sales figures of SEED and SEED Destiny tell another story.
that's not really what i was asking, though. on this forum and a few other English-speaking boards, DESTINY seems to be pretty much totally reviled; the sales figures in Japan suggest that, whatever else was going on, Japanese consumers liked what they saw enough to buy the gunpla and stuff. what i want to know is what the critics thought of DESTINY in Japan, to the extent that it makes sense to ask that question, since i don't know if there's a Roger Ebert of anime in Japan or something.
yazi88

I wonder if this counts as anything, that Fukuda, hasn't really worked on anything since Destiny. Aside from Remaster and Special Editions.

Seed and Destiny are still popular enough to be in games. Especially in SRW, but then again, SRW also tends to make SENSE of the shows in its many various crossovers.

I believe that Suzumura, Shinn's VA, said somewhere that SRW Z was the defining version of Shinn that he could've been (at least in his eyes).

I also have a question: is Cagalli's VA replaced or did she come back for remaster? Or did they use the previous recorded lines?
azrael

yazi88 wrote:I also have a question: is Cagalli's VA replaced or did she come back for remaster? Or did they use the previous recorded lines?
???
I didn't know they recorded new lines. All the dialogue should be from the series or the Special Editions.
ShadowCell wrote: what i want to know is what the critics thought of DESTINY in Japan, to the extent that it makes sense to ask that question, since i don't know if there's a Roger Ebert of anime in Japan or something.
Unfortunately, I don't think we know of any journalistic critic in Japan that reviews anime. The only thing we have to go on are TV ratings and sales figures.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
iCards

You could look at the amazon japan customer ratings to get an inkling of an idea. U might not be able to understand the reviews but numbers are numbers.

Here is one: at 430 customer reviews the FINAL GSD TV DVD (Volume 13 which was released 7 years ago) is at 2 stars, so yeah.
Dangerous_D

Gundam420 wrote:They'll most likely cut out the clips shows and put in the Final Plus ending.

the final plus was much better than episode 50
Arbiter GUNDAM

iCards wrote:You could look at the amazon japan customer ratings to get an inkling of an idea. U might not be able to understand the reviews but numbers are numbers.

Here is one: at 430 customer reviews the FINAL GSD TV DVD (Volume 13 which was released 7 years ago) is at 2 stars, so yeah.
Hmm, extremely interesting. So.... does this mean that most of Destiny's commercial success came from Gunpla and figures?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Xenosynth

If the Gunpla sold well, that wouldn't surprise me. Even if I didn't like the show, there are a few designs from it I certainly wouldn't mind having a model of, mainly the Impulse. Too bad they never made a Blast Impulse master grade. For whatever reason they just have the Sword and Force.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yeah, I'm looking at the other volumes now and... yeah, all of them seem to have an average between 1.5-2.5 stars. Yikes.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

In a critical sense, I think Japan at least acknowledges the show was inconsistent. There were plenty of fan parodies about Kira stealing the spotlight (including one where he boots Setsuna out of the 00 teaser), alot of games have gone 'fix fic' route with the story and even the recent SEED Club comics for the Destiny HD announcement have tension between Shinn and Kira over who is the star. The central SEED fanbase seemed to have loved it, but then we know that's provoked some reactions (Mizushima seems to have had to deal with the 'if we complain enough, dead characters come back!' fangirls Fukuda left behind).
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Amion

Erisie talked about screaming fangirls. Is there any proof that this is what caused Fukuda to bring multiple people back to from the dead?

And really, is truthfully no way to answer Shadowcell's question? One would feel sure there is at least one way to find such information over here without visiting Japan and knowing the language.

Also, wasn't there a poll posted up during AGE's run indicating that Destiny was up therein the top five or so Gundam series produced? I doubt we will find that link though....
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
iCards

Amion wrote:Erisie talked about screaming fangirls. Is there any proof that this is what caused Fukuda to bring multiple people back to from the dead?

And really, is truthfully no way to answer Shadowcell's question? One would feel sure there is at least one way to find such information over here without visiting Japan and knowing the language.

Also, wasn't there a poll posted up during AGE's run indicating that Destiny was up therein the top five or so Gundam series produced? I doubt we will find that link though....
There was a BIGLOBE, a company that only seems to organize fan polls, Poll that ranked "Top Gundam TV Series Post 1989"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... after-1989