Let's Watch (In Horror) ZZ Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BrentD15

Re: Let's Watch (In Horror) ZZ Gundam

About what happened to Puru Two: She was stupidly caught in the explosion of the Queen Mansa, and refused to stay in her hospital bed when she was critically injured, and then used the last of her strength to find Judau after his fight with Haman. In short, she was a victim of the writing staff/Tomino. :lol:

Mashymre's turn to the badassness was great, yet too short-lived.
And also, Chara Soon dying was stupid, especially since Judau told her not to die!

So yeah, mediocre at best.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Tangerine

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:So, the final critique.

While Gundam ZZ wasn't as horrible or insulting as I once thought it was, it is definitely a mediocre show. The good episodes in the middle can't save it from the stupidity of the first 17, Tigerbaum or the lackluster finale. I would have much preferred that the original outline of the show had been followed and that it got 50 episodes like Zeta. It is a couple of steps above schlock like Destiny, AGE and G-Saviour but just a couple.
On the MAHQ scale, I give it 2 Angry Lolis out of five.
Sums it just about right. At best it's a mediocore show that doesn't really capture anything or inspire anything. In few years you'll forget about it, the characters names, their antics, the plot and finally the whole storyline. Not as horrible as what other people said. But it does feel a waste of time. and I sort of agree that people said it's like an insult to Z's over serious tone. If they don't connect to Z aftermath, this could be a separated lighthearted Gundam show. But you can't just do it while dragging the vegetable Camille and other Z survivor.

At least we know Cammile is okay in the end...

But Zeta movies trilogy seems to indicate he's okay anyway in the end, and due to some changes ZZ arc is no longer possible. Proly, it's so bad that they wanted to write it off completely. :lol:
Arbiter GUNDAM

Tangerine wrote:Proly, it's so bad that they wanted to write it off completely. :lol:
Um, I don't think that anyone's ever said that the Zeta movies invalidate ZZ.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
ShadowCell

ugh, not that again

anyway if they really wanted to "write off ZZ" completely then the folks who write Unicorn apparently did not get that memo
Amion

Does anyone here have a link to the original plot to ZZ by chance?

And over all I thought you hit all the right notes Arbiter, though I actually disagree with the whole thing about Ru and Glemy, it seemed like she pitied him more than anything else, though his stupidity for Letting Her Shoot Him was pathetic indeed.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I know there was stuff like Emma Sheen dying in ZZ instead of Zeta and that Judau would be into older women and be constantly hitting on her. Hmmm, that makes me wonder... if he were going to be into older women... and Haman is there... that opens up potential for hilarious scenes where Judau actually would be falling for Haman's advances and Emma would have to "correct" him.

--Freyja Wion
teslashark

Great conclusion!
1. The Geze
2. Zeta-Zaku
3. ReGelg
4. The Agguguy
5. Schuzrum Dias
Who can forget or forgive the Zeta Zaku! Regelg and S Dias are mediocre designs, better than the Axis blue transformable suits with a hard to remembername(Jamil Fin?).

P.S. I used to want to take a poll to see whether Glemy or Mashymre got more sympathizers, though once there's that naked Puru scene...
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
BrentD15

teslashark wrote:Great conclusion!
1. The Geze
2. Zeta-Zaku
3. ReGelg
4. The Agguguy
5. Schuzrum Dias
Who can forget or forgive the Zeta Zaku! Regelg and S Dias are mediocre designs, better than the Axis blue transformable suits with a hard to remembername(Jamil Fin?).

P.S. I used to want to take a poll to see whether Glemy or Mashymre got more sympathizers, though once there's that naked Puru scene...
I personally find the AMA-01X Jamru Fin to be highly underrated.
It had so much potential for an incomplete prototype, yet it was just thrown away as another Monster of the Week.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Amion

I'm disturbed now.:shock:

Ok, well it's nice to know Tomino didn't plan to kill everyone off at the end of Zeta. It would have been nice to see more of Emma, but her death was too well done so that can slide. Still, I'd like to know more about what Char would have been doing.

Grrr, googled it, can't find it anywhere.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Oh simple. It would have been Char leading the rebellion against Haman, not Glemy.

--Freyja Wion
Mark064

I have an old not-quite full but gives you a jist of what they were planning ZZ Gundam outline. The outline is dated from October 1985 and at the time was simply called Zeta Gundam Part 2. This doesn't cover a lot from looking over the original text like the part of the new Gundam (not named yet) appearing. There is a bit of dialogue in the original text of what was planned and a few notes and what not.
Zeta Gundam Part 2

Which centers around a 13 yr old boy Judau Ashta a story where you see Judau become a MS pilot fighting against Haman's Independent Force Manibaring. Judau becomes first newtype (don't ask me what this means) and leaves a message to the Earthnoids and leaves for Mars.

The story starts out similar to ZZ. Scirocco is dead and EFF becoming pro-AEUG with Haman aiming for Earth. Bright and Emma (she isn't dead) were able to secure a place in Shangria to do repairs. Camille is taken to a hospital. Judau is apparently a bad kid, who is part of a bike gang called Gigaa. Judau successfully steals the Zeta after fighting Bright and Emma then Haman's independent force Manivaring entered the colony. First, Judau agrees to destroy Ahgama after talking with Manivaring. However, Fa and Emma convinces him and he ends up protecting Ahgama. Anways it becomes Judau in Zeta vs Manivaring inside the colony with Emma piloting Mk II as well. Roux shows up from La Vie En Rose and Elbow Smash shows up. Elbow is an AE technician. Oh ya, members of Gigaa joins Ahgama crew. Apparently Gigaa and Ahgama crew don't like each other. Emma might die (don't ask me). Haman and Bright met or got close enough to have a dialog. Bright rejects Haman's offer about agreeing to the Zabi family's return. Judau kicks all the weak members of the Ahgama crew to La Vien Rose and now Gigaa controls Ahgama. Next is a plan to retake Shangrila. Apparently Bright and Ahgama are successful at the retake. Behind the scenes Char helped out with this as his last salute to the crews of Ahgama. Camille becomes missing and Fa returns to Ahgama. the scenario switches to Earth, where Bright heads there to talk with the Earth Federation Forces. The EF official tells him, "Char is going to monitor Haman." in response to Bright's displeasure about giving Haman Side 3. Judau becomes pissed and punched the EF official. Judau is jailed. Amuro, Hayato, Beltochika came up a plan to rescue Judau and do so. From them, they hear Camille is at Hong Kong (doing something. sorry the kanji is too blurry). Haman laughed at Bright and Judau's debacle. Ok, Haman Kahn's dictatorship started and she began to purge any that resisted. She also worked on a plan to take over Earth. Judau and Roux infiltrates the colony and is suprised at the fact they don't feel Char's presence. They only feel Haman's dictatorship. Judau recognizes that Haman is going after Earth. So he decides to kidnap Mineva but fails. Haman's force centering around Axis heads toward Earth. EFF panicking asks for any help. It says that Fa might become the next Emma (Fa bitchslap!). It also says that Char hasn't killed Haman because he was too busy commanding a force responsible for assassinating all of Earth Federation high officials. After the EF government passes a legislature giving a go sign for Space Migration, Char joins Haman's force. Mineva is happy about Char's return. Char kills Haman when her force was about to attack Earth. During this Bright rescues Mineva. In the last battle, the whole world sees Judau's NT thingy. Judau apparently says something like "being selfish won't free the people and Char's way is selfish too". Char agreed to what Judau said and he actually has a long quote here (which I don't feel like translating, something like people being able to understand each other and able to conquer space, blah blah blah). Camille heard this. The story ends with Judau joining the Mars exploration and Mineva going to Earth.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Amion

Thanks, Mark0. That was...definitely a rough draft, I hope. Now that I've heard it, I'm pleased everything has turned out like it did.
teslashark

Before you cool off, Arbiter, can you make a gif of the scene with Bright and the chicken? :D
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Arbiter GUNDAM

teslashark wrote:Before you cool off, Arbiter, can you make a gif of the scene with Bright and the chicken? :D
Never really made a motion gif before.
BrentD15 wrote:About what happened to Puru Two: She was stupidly caught in the explosion of the Queen Mansa, and refused to stay in her hospital bed when she was critically injured, and then used the last of her strength to find Judau after his fight with Haman. In short, she was a victim of the writing staff/Tomino. :lol:
Which is why I like to believe she's the Qubeley pilot from the Gundam Evolve ZZ episode. :D

--Freyja Wion
HalfDemonInuyasha

teslashark wrote:Great conclusion!
1. The Geze
2. Zeta-Zaku
3. ReGelg
4. The Agguguy
5. Schuzrum Dias

The ReGelg is okay, especially considering it's little more than just a Gelgoog that was buffed up with more/stronger thrusters, and a couple extra weapons, yet with just those upgrades, it was pretty well-matched with other, modern mass production units at the time, further showing just how strong the Gelgoog was and just how it could've possibly turned the war against the Federation in the OYW if it had been produced earlier, before Zeon was reduced to barely-green pilots who couldn't utilize it to its full potential.

The Schuzrun Dias also had potential if the AEUG had managed to get it for its forces.

And, as mentioned, the Jamru Fin is pretty underrated. Though, I do wonder what the Jamru Fin would've looked like in MS form had it been completed.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Dangerous_D

this series, V Gundam, Turn A, and X are the only ones I haven't seen since they haven't dubbed nor released in the US
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

^If I were you I would go for Turn A and then I guess X before you work on the others. Unless you are a big fan of Unicorn, in which case you might get a little more appreciation from the series if you watch ZZ (since some parts of the plot play into Unicorn a little bit).
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dangerous_D

I was looking forward to Turn A until Bandai America gave everyone the US the middle Finger back in December 2011
HellCat

Dangerous_D wrote:I was looking forward to Turn A until Bandai America gave everyone the US the middle Finger back in December 2011
Head office pulling the plug will do that. If you listen to ANN's recent podcast, it's quite clear Bandai Entertainment put alot of work into that set and are quite dissapointed they never got to release it.

The Ghinias route doesn't work out so well in real life.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
BrentD15

I didn't see any posts about this, so I'm gonna start discussing it.

On the subject of ZZ Gundam, Chieko Honda, the voice actor for both Elpeo Puru and Puru Two, died February 18th this year. :cry:

Let us take a moment of silence....