Psycho Pass, anyone?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
teslashark

Psycho Pass, anyone?

Just back from a trip to Hongkong, visited the Kowloon Walled City Park. The first episode happens in somewhere very similiar to the structure that used to be there. Beside the setting, we got a Heroine serving in the high tech police force, some clinically antisocial "Hunters", a middle-aged postal madman, his victim, and the cute public safety mascot COMMISAR CHAN.
I think the cutest person in this episode is the Hunter who didn't say anything.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Psycho Pass, anyone?

The show simply tries too hard to be all dark and edgy, mistaking that with actual depth and quality. This wouldn't be so bad if the director hadn't given an interview where he went on about banning the word moe and how they were going to buck the current trends. Apparently they're doing so by following the trends of 90s OVAs.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
teslashark

Destiny_Gundam wrote:The show simply tries too hard to be all dark and edgy, mistaking that with actual depth and quality. This wouldn't be so bad if the director hadn't given an interview where he went on about banning the word moe and how they were going to buck the current trends. Apparently they're doing so by following the trends of 90s OVAs.
Well, they suceeded at being sickening. Not even Silent Hill or FEAR takes part in a replica of Kowloon Walled City. The COMMISAR CHANs are intended pseudo moe, like crossbreeding Koemushi and Cheburashka. There still is real moeness in this show, i.e. that hunter mentioned before.
bullethead

I swear this is inspired by Judge Dredd, because the overly draconian enforcement of the Psycho-Pass system (despite the obvious problems that anyone with common sense could point out) thing basically would easily fit into a Dredd comic. I also don't get why they don't have shrinks/negotiators on staff to help talk people down, unless they decided to get rid of them all because of this stupid Psycho-Pass system.

Anyway, like a lot of other shows, it suffers from Japan's "open at some random part of the story, then jump back to the beginning" thing and a lot of info dumping to a character that should know most of the stuff that gets tossed her way.
teslashark

bullethead wrote:I swear this is inspired by Judge Dredd, because the overly draconian enforcement of the Psycho-Pass system (despite the obvious problems that anyone with common sense could point out) thing basically would easily fit into a Dredd comic. I also don't get why they don't have shrinks/negotiators on staff to help talk people down, unless they decided to get rid of them all because of this stupid Psycho-Pass system.

Anyway, like a lot of other shows, it suffers from Japan's "open at some random part of the story, then jump back to the beginning" thing and a lot of info dumping to a character that should know most of the stuff that gets tossed her way.
Yeah, I haden't read Dredd but I can sense it.
It seems if you refuse a shrink offer sent to you by the P^2, then you are halfway beyond redemption. If you refuse to surrender to real officers, then they will unlock railguns.
bullethead

teslashark wrote:
bullethead wrote:I swear this is inspired by Judge Dredd, because the overly draconian enforcement of the Psycho-Pass system (despite the obvious problems that anyone with common sense could point out) thing basically would easily fit into a Dredd comic. I also don't get why they don't have shrinks/negotiators on staff to help talk people down, unless they decided to get rid of them all because of this stupid Psycho-Pass system.

Yeah, I haden't read Dredd but I can sense it.
It seems if you refuse a shrink offer sent to you by the P^2, then you are halfway beyond redemption. If you refuse to surrender to real officers, then they will unlock railguns.
I'm referring to their actual enforcement teams. If the whatever is contagious, why wouldn't you have a guy on the team on-hand to talk down victims, not just for dealing with prevention?
teslashark

bullethead wrote:I'm referring to their actual enforcement teams. If the whatever is contagious, why wouldn't you have a guy on the team on-hand to talk down victims, not just for dealing with prevention?
They probably lost the idea a long time ago, since the authority of thoughts is the P^2. Maybe there will be a reason.
Flame-X

This show reminds me more of Minority Report and Ghost in the Shell. I was a bit turned off by the dystopian future and the cliche main character(police girl) but I'll keep on watching if it gets any more interesting.
Deacon Blues

I watched the first episode and actually enjoyed it (main character aside). It was dark, detailed and had that overall GITs feel to it. It was interesting to count how many nods to that series there were. *applauds Production IG*
teslashark

Deacon Blues wrote:I watched the first episode and actually enjoyed it (main character aside). It was dark, detailed and had that overall GITs feel to it. It was interesting to count how many nods to that series there were. *applauds Production IG*
Maybe, just maybe, a really old Batou will turn out to be Akane's teacher.
teslashark

HAHAHAHAHA

Deacon Blues

Well, episode 2 aired. I must say, I think I'm going to enjoy this show. The cityscape is gorgeous and, well, the main character isn't that bad anymore.

I want a holographic changing room like that. That would be awesome! But a question does have to be posed... does anyone really wear clothes or are those just holographic representations themselves? I wonder if that has anything to do with the society depicted in the show or not... *ponders*
Flame-X

Wow that 2nd ep gave me a much better impression than the first. I agree the cityscape is quite something. Now I'm more interested in this type of future setup.
teslashark

Deacon Blues wrote:Well, episode 2 aired. I must say, I think I'm going to enjoy this show. The cityscape is gorgeous and, well, the main character isn't that bad anymore.

I want a holographic changing room like that. That would be awesome! But a question does have to be posed... does anyone really wear clothes or are those just holographic representations themselves? I wonder if that has anything to do with the society depicted in the show or not... *ponders*
Try detonating an EMP bomb, if you suddnly see everyone in the buff... No, just touch them.
teslashark

I finally saw the name of that hunter who didn't say anything in the last episode, Ryukazuka Yayoi. Consistently being cute.
Why they didn't disguase that drone as a COMMISAR CHAN too?
That stalker seemed to touch a hologram's face, how? Maybe in the next episode he will be recruited as a hunter. Maybe an expendable one.
Ishida sounds like Koemushi or Komori Tomonori more than Athrun. There seems to be a joke about him being a cowboy.
Nice thoughts about Destiny Plan, If you replace him with Athrun.
The hero of the show have a lot to avenge, apparently.
Nice episode. Next week......Be prepared.
bullethead

I wonder if that weird future bra and panties get up the main character wears in the OP is what most people really wear with the other stuff projected over it. Because if it is, it means Kogami wears actual physical clothes (or isn't hot enough to be seen in whatever future briefs men get).
teslashark

bullethead wrote:I wonder if that weird future bra and panties get up the main character wears in the OP is what most people really wear with the other stuff projected over it. Because if it is, it means Kogami wears actual physical clothes (or isn't hot enough to be seen in whatever future briefs men get).
Could be that. Another one wearing physical clothes is Shion, I think.
teslashark

The 6th episode is both relaxing and unnnerving. You will love noodles and hate Titus Andronicus after watching.
Deacon Blues

I like how this show is shaping up.

Not a fan that they left a Terayama Shuuji title untranslated though. Jackasses. (That or "licensing issues") Then again, of all the stuff I've read from him, I still can't find さらば、映画よ :/
teslashark

Makishima tells us how to keep a high PP value: do not think you are committing a crime when you in fact are.