Sword Art Online

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Compass

Re: Sword Art Online

I doubt anyone would notice unless they looked at the credits. Would be an awesome twist, as well :P
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
NastyNate

How many more episodes do you all think they are going to make? Especially those that have read the books.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Destiny_Gundam

It's set for 25. Doing the first 2 major story arcs makes the most sense.

At least I hope so. Need me some delicious imouto :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
NastyNate

So just 2 major arcs? You mean they are not going to finish the story?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

tehprognoob

all 9 volumes (if alice is even the end) is too long
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Destiny_Gundam

Plus, the first two arcs do tell a complete story. Everything afterwards feels pretty superfluous.
Compass

Each novel arc is basically its own story.

Book 1 could honestly have been a standalone story with none of the other 9 volumes in existence and been just as good of an experience.

Book 2 has all side stories that you've seen already (Yui, which is in progress, Silica, Lizbeth, Sachi ;_;)

Books 3 and 4 occur chronologically after Book 1.

Books 5 and 6 form their own arc chronologically after Book 4. It has pretty weak development, though.

Book 7 serves well as a standalone. It takes place chronologically after Book 4.

Book 8 features three side stories: the anime Episode 5 and 6 murder mystery, something that happens chronologically after Book 6, and something that chronologically happens RIGHT after the end of Episode 1 (literally the same day), so those are out.

Books 9 and 10 feature stuff after all of the above and would probably make your mind explode.

Personally, if I were to make a reading list that would be enjoyable: Book 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.

Let me know if too spoilery :P

---

PS, in case it wasn't apparent, I really, really, really liked 7 in its own right.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
NastyNate

How have you all read these already? Did they release these books in english?

Compass

Nope. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Destiny_Gundam

Compass wrote:Book 1 could honestly have been a standalone story with none of the other 9 volumes in existence and been just as good of an experience.
That's because it was. The author wrote it back in 2002 for a contest but couldn't enter it due to exceeding the page limit so he posted it online.
NastyNate wrote:How have you all read these already? Did they release these books in english?
Not legally.

I glanced through some of the later chapters and I gotta say... While it is a nice change of pace having the main couple hook up early, it's still kinda bad when you include a harem situation with it too. Since Kirito and Asuna are all lovey dovey all the time, all the rest of the girls can do is suffer. It is different from standard harem shows when the girl he'll end up with is obvious. At least in those cases the other girls still have hope. Or even a show like Ai Yori Aoshi where the main couple got together early but kept it a secret for the rest of the series. The others could do more than just be mad jelly all the time.

As to the girls themselves, Asuna is a nice girl and I like her just fine but we're obviously meant to. Since she's the main girl there might as well be huge arrows pointing to her saying "YOU WILL WORSHIP AND ADORE HER!" I've always been more drawn to girls who are often over looked because of the main one.

I like Silica and Suguha more, but that comes as no surprise since they're the loli and little sister respectively (though I guess Silica kind of counts as both). My reputation isn't baseless, after all :lol:

But Lizbeth totally blind sided me. I mean, it's not like I though I wouldn't like her or anything but I didn't think I'd like her this much. It's definitely going to suck seeing her heartbroken for the rest of the series :(
NastyNate

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Compass wrote:Book 1 could honestly have been a standalone story with none of the other 9 volumes in existence and been just as good of an experience.
That's because it was. The author wrote it back in 2002 for a contest but couldn't enter it due to exceeding the page limit so he posted it online.
NastyNate wrote:How have you all read these already? Did they release these books in english?
Not legally.

I glanced through some of the later chapters and I gotta say... While it is a nice change of pace having the main couple hook up early, it's still kinda bad when you include a harem situation with it too. Since Kirito and Asuna are all lovey dovey all the time, all the rest of the girls can do is suffer. It is different from standard harem shows when the girl he'll end up with is obvious. At least in those cases the other girls still have hope. Or even a show like Ai Yori Aoshi where the main couple got together early but kept it a secret for the rest of the series. The others could do more than just be mad jelly all the time.

As to the girls themselves, Asuna is a nice girl and I like her just fine but we're obviously meant to. Since she's the main girl there might as well be huge arrows pointing to her saying "YOU WILL WORSHIP AND ADORE HER!" I've always been more drawn to girls who are often over looked because of the main one.

I like Silica and Suguha more, but that comes as no surprise since they're the loli and little sister respectively (though I guess Silica kind of counts as both). My reputation isn't baseless, after all :lol:

But Lizbeth totally blind sided me. I mean, it's not like I though I wouldn't like her or anything but I didn't think I'd like her this much. It's definitely going to suck seeing her heartbroken for the rest of the series :(
Up to the point of the last episode I think the others had a chance. But yeah now that they are "Married" there is no hope for them. But I don't think up until now the relationship has been a main focus of the show persay. For a while there Asuno was not even present. What is good about Asuno is that she is not a damzel in distress and from here on we can see them do their awesome teamwork.

Destiny_Gundam

I don't know if you're doing it on purpose, Nate, but their names are Kirito and Asuna.
NastyNate

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I don't know if you're doing it on purpose, Nate, but their names are Kirito and Asuna.
No just really bad with names especially unusual foreign to my language ones. That's why I call that one guy from Gundam 00 Sausage because I have no idea how to spell or say his name.

Destiny_Gundam

Well in the future I'd suggest taking a peek at previous posts. I'm sure one of them will have the spelling.
NastyNate

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well in the future I'd suggest taking a peek at previous posts. I'm sure one of them will have the spelling.
Nah it's no big deal :P

Compass

Kito and Auna are a great couple.

See what I did there?
Destiny_Gundam

Nate doesn't have the excuse of being a cute little girl, though :lol:
iCards

Episode 12: Daww! :D
Spoiler
Personally I don't see why they couldn't have said Yui regained her memories from touching the stone. The way they said it is that she all of a sudden regains her memories then access the stone.
NastyNate

Those Frog legs... This was a fitting end to Yui. I was unsure how they would incorporate her into the story when Kirito and Asuna where out fighting and getting closer to each other. This makes since. Also Kirito is becoming more of a likeable character to me. Like the way he reached out emotionally in a non awkward way to Yui. And overall is becoming more of a good person.

iCards wrote:Episode 12: Daww! :D
Spoiler
Personally I don't see why they couldn't have said Yui regained her memories from touching the stone. The way they said it is that she all of a sudden regains her memories then access the stone.
I think she regained them when Kirito and Asuna where in intense danger.

tehprognoob

The reaction to intense danger was what brought her back

and lol GM CONSOL TOO HAX
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force