Say Mecha Talk, Lets Have a Brave Series Topic!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AceWhatever

Re: Say Mecha Talk, Lets Have a Brave Series Topic!

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Also, how the heck does Super Fire Dagwon work? Two mecha go back to back, some stuff attaches to them, and then all of a sudden there's only one robot. Where'd the other one go?
Basically Power Dagwon attaches his limbs to Fire Dagwon and then the entire torso just hangs off Fire Dagwon's back as an ugly piece of kibble, slightly hidden by Fire Jumbo's protruding rear fuselage so they can still refer to this mechanical mess as a "combination".

I discussed this briefly with Andrew from CollectionDX. The combinations for the each show's ultimate Brave robot started to seriously decline in quality after Fighbird when they went from "second robot becomes new limbs for the first robot" to "second robot splits into random blocks that attach to the first robot"
DuelGundam2099

So yeah, time to raise this topic from the dead since I have been watching Exkaiser and just got done with the first quarter this morning. Despite having no idea what they are saying the visuals make shows like this easy to watch and enjoy. I can also see the similarities between this series and the zondar arc of GaoGaiGar except it does not try to hard to over use it's budget. :P Exkaiser himself comes across as likeable in both design and character and not just because he is voiced by anime voice actor king Sho Hayami (has this guy ever voiced a bad character?). The Raicer brothers have more personality than a lot of the other combo only bots that appear in later series. However, the Max trio do not seem to show up as often; where are they, fighting crime behind the ally ways? :P The Geisters don't seem to be that different from one another; aside from Ptera Geist being competent and intelligent/second in command after Dino Geist the other three geisters seem typical "all brawn no brains" except for Thunder Geist who seems to be the strongest of the three. Armor and Horn Geist seem too similar to each other although I am starting to think the former is into heavy fire power. With that said, when does Dino Geist actually appear in combat and how do you guys think he stacks up against Draias from Fighbird?
Raptor

I gotta say, loved Might Gaine, been forever since I've seen Goldran, but I enjoyed it, and Dagwon was pretty interesting, but....

"DIVIDING DRIVER!!!"

Guy Shishioh and GaoGaiGar won my heart. I could watch that combination sequence for hours. And Nobuyuki Hiyama was AMAZING as Guy. Or Gai, depending on your subs. Yeah, there were monsters of the week, and Mamoru could get on my nerves, but then the fight would come. And Guy would call for the Gao Machines. And the world would fall away.

I rewatched it recently, since I bought the full collection on Amazon, afraid that Nostalgia might be part of my enjoyment. It wasn't. Well, maybe a little, but there's no Rose tinted glasses here. GaoGaiGar is amazing. And FINAL even more so. There's a reason Nobuyuki Hiyama is my favorite Seiyuu of all time.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
DuelGundam2099

So yeah I just finished Brave Exkaiser just minutes ago. Very fun series even if the character development is the second worst in the franchise after Goldran (ha). The geisters did grow on me, especially Thundergeist since he acts like the lovable numbskull, kind of like Ed from Ed, Edd 'n Eddy. This was worth making. Dino Geist was easily the best villain of the series and he is my third favorite of the franchise after Draias and Lord Pasdar; that final battle with him and Great Exkaiser was almost perfect, but it was jut too short. :( At least this series was better than Might Gaine and Goldran.

Now to my inevitable take on of Da Garn! (eventually) Has anyone else seen it? It looks very comicbookish.
YokozunaBulldozer

I grew up on this franchise and still love every bit of it. Personally I liked Mightgaine and J-Decker for the AI approach. Da Garn is another fav being the entry show that got me hooked. Goldran is also great to watch with the whole scavenger hunt story they had going on. It was also fun to spot redesigns of G1 transformers i.e. Shadowmaru from J-Decker being a Sixshot repaint.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
DuelGundam2099

Bumping this topic because I just finished Da-Garn, essentially ending my journey through the Brave franchise. The series was awesome as hell and you'd think they would be heavy with the environmental messages but surprisingly not. I am somewhat disappointed with OhBoss though, he was basically Black Noir with some build up and..... that's about it. They should have had him and Cyan combined into one character. Then there's Redlone who not only has what is not only officially the best non-Aquarion new school mecha ever (in this case Red Geist), but is such a good Char clone that I even dare say he's better than Char Azneble. 8) Real shame they killed Seven Changer in the last episode, but oh well. I can see some parts of it that inspired GaoGaiGar and Dendoh and with how it turned out I enjoyed it to the end even if I had to watch the last ten episodes in chinese subs. 8)

Just because I can here's where I rank every entry in the franchise:

Fighbird > Dagwon/Boy With The Crystal Eyes > Da-Garn > Betterman > J-Decker > GaoGaiGar FINAL > Might Gaine > GaoGaiGar > Exkaiser > Goldran

With the sole exception of Goldran I give every entry either a 9 or 10 out of 10. Why? They're just that good. I hope whoever else here wants to watch it in their entirety enjoys it as much as I did.
AceWhatever

I really wish Might Gaine didn't have such retardedly bad villains.

I watched the last fight between Exkaiser and Dino Geist on a whim and was pretty surprised by it. I didn't expect Exkaiser to
Spoiler
use Dragon Kaiser as a detachable drone while combining and separating several times during the fight.
Did he use that gimmick before in the show? It's a far cry from how later shows (at least from what I've seen) degenerated into just having the main Braves combine for the sake of combining (with Might Gaine being the worst offender so far).
YokozunaBulldozer

One thing I noticed about Might Gaine is that there are a few similarities to Daitarn 3 in terms of the mood and tropes being used.
KudosForce

Being a Brave Series neophyte, I thoroughly dug Fighbird (as did a bud of mine I recommended that to)! Definitely the kind of show that would have earned a place on a Fox Kids timeslot, back in the day. :) I apologize in advance, as I'll use this post to gush a bit.

Out of the Guard Team, I have to say that Guard Star is my favorite. He manages to be pretty effective in his role as a Space Police officer, and gets his moments to shine (heck, on a related note, I like that every combined mech won at least once).

The use of orchestral music and synths was nice, too.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I wouldn't be surprised if this show was what started to attract the female fanbase, given the fanservice scenes that Katori gets.

Also, I personally think Momoko was funny, even if she does get in the way a lot. I had a harder time standing Inspector Satsuda for the most part (whatwith his accusations going out of hand at times).

With that said, I'll definitely be looking forward to watching a few of the other entries later on. :wink:
KudosForce

Sorry for necro-posting, but as of today, every Brave Series entry (save Gaogaigar for now) is now available for voting on Daisuki's survey!
AceWhatever

Goldran seems to be missing (or named differently).
KudosForce

AceWhatever wrote:Goldran seems to be missing (or named differently).
It's on the second part of the poll that came out today, so it shouldn't be hard to miss.
YokozunaBulldozer

So I re-watched J-Decker recently and it sure is well made.
The best way to summarize it is what if transformers were man-made and were cops.
It is quite cyberpunk as it deals with AI and technology while having an overall theme about having a "heart".
Most eps are one shots but there is a gradual build up to the end so do try to watch it from start to finish.
The reference to Rick Deckard, John McClane and Mad Max still crack me up, and the eight brave police officers are quite diverse in personality and design. It is also one of the three brave series by Takamatsu Shinji aka the director of Mightgaine, Goldran, Gundam X, Gintama and Gyrozetter. There are subbed episodes on streaming sites so do check it out if interested.
AceWhatever

J-Decker is definitely one of the better Brave shows, though I wouldn't call sharing a director with Might Gaine a point in its favor. :p

The drama and humanization of the Brave Police can a get a little over the top and stupid at times, and I really wish Ishida Atsuko toned down the character designs.
YokozunaBulldozer

AceWhatever wrote:J-Decker is definitely one of the better Brave shows, though I wouldn't call sharing a director with Might Gaine a point in its favor. :p

The drama and humanization of the Brave Police can a get a little over the top and stupid at times, and I really wish Ishida Atsuko toned down the character designs.
Yeah, Might Gaine does have a problem or two, specifically with Might Gaine hogging all the spotlight, but personally I like all of Takamatsu's 3 brave shows(Might Gaine, J-Decker, Goldran) for not trying to copy paste Exkaiser, Fighbird, and Da Garn and try something different.
I like all 8 brave shows, but his 3 shows do stand out compared to those.
In the case of Might Gaine I like the mecha designs, the campy villains(mostly Wolfgang and his cronies), Raibaru Joe, and the ending... oh the ending... and Takamatsu directed Gundam X and Gintama so more the reason why. :D

Also, the fact that he chose the name Fire J-Decker just so he can avenge himself for having the name Gorgeous Might Gaine get rejected is hilarious.
Henyo

so, a friend of mine gave me three brave series episodes.(only two of them are complete though.)
they are Fighbird, J-decker and Goldran.

which one would you guys recommend for my first Yuusha series?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
AceWhatever

Definitely Fighbird because it's the earliest Brave show available. Followed by J-Decker unless you can nab Da-Garn first.
YokozunaBulldozer

Henyo wrote:so, a friend of mine gave me three brave series episodes.(only two of them are complete though.)
they are Fighbird, J-decker and Goldran.

which one would you guys recommend for my first Yuusha series?
Out of the three provided watch in this order: Fighbird > J-Decker > Goldran.
Fighbird still retains the early brave concepts so it is a good entry show if you do not have Exkaiser as your starter. J-Decker is my personal favorite as it has a pinch of cyberpunk and is one of the early deviations. Goldran is a "turn off your brain and enjoy the ride" type of show.
Henyo

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Out of the three provided watch in this order: Fighbird > J-Decker > Goldran.
Fighbird still retains the early brave concepts so it is a good entry show if you do not have Exkaiser as your starter. J-Decker is my personal favorite as it has a pinch of cyberpunk and is one of the early deviations. Goldran is a "turn off your brain and enjoy the ride" type of show.
my friend pretty much gave the same order. i'll go with that then. space police have a special place on my heart. it was the translation they used for Uchuu Keiji Shaider here in the Philippines.

on a side note, she said to me that she translated/subbed the two completed series on her own. during the early days of the MKV format. and she shared it online. it is possible that the subbed version you guys have watched is her work. ever spotted the name "Chirlind" on the op/ed?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
YokozunaBulldozer

By the way guys, if you did not know yet, Sunrise has an official website of the brave series. Go check it out if interested. and click the brave robot image to learn the basics about that certain show. Please note that the site is in Japanese.

http://www.yusha.net/index.html