The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

I haven't seen the dub yet but hasn't that happened before? I seem to recall the dubbed trailer for episode 3 having Marida on the comm line referring to 'combat units known as pilopfs!'
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Wingnut

Well, yeah. Radio static tends to do that.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Amion

I am pleased to see what became of the Rawroolra or however it's pronounced.

And I really dig the body language in this episode, it gives the animation more depth.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
HellCat

Wingnut wrote:Well, yeah. Radio static tends to do that.
But was there radio static in the Japanese? It sounds like possibly one is using a general radio filter and the other is adding static on top of that.

Either way, the weird echo effects they put in G were worse :shock:
Deacon Blues

Amion wrote:And I really dig the body language in this episode, it gives the animation more depth.
Because clearly people move their heads around like they did during the standoff with the chief engineer... :roll:
Kratos

To be perfectly fair, only the engineer did it.

I did feel the episode was a tad over-animated, but it was never a significant enough issue to actually detract from the experience.

I did finally see the dubbed episode, though, and thought it was one of the weaker ones. Takuya in particular had some weird line delivery, and Otto's voice actor just sounded bored during that awesome final speech he gives.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

Kratos wrote:To be perfectly fair, only the engineer did it.

I did feel the episode was a tad over-animated, but it was never a significant enough issue to actually detract from the experience.

I did finally see the dubbed episode, though, and thought it was one of the weaker ones. Takuya in particular had some weird line delivery, and Otto's voice actor just sounded bored during that awesome final speech he gives.
Uh... the two others right next to him had unnatural head movements. The first guy does a side to side twist then a forward head bob. Show me someone that talks like that. Followed by Gibney's weird thing.
Kratos

Oops, my bad.

Well, either way, still not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the episode in any way.
Amion

That is only a single scene you're talking about, Deacon. there is the rest of the animation to consider.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
latenlazy

If you observe real life acting and human gestures the expressions in this episode aren't that over exaggerated. It's just strange to see animation try to mimic every detail of natural human motion, especially in closeups and prolonged shots, since that's almost never done to build that sort of serious dramatic tension.
Kratos

Tension building devices should be subtle, though, like a soundtrack slowly building in intensity. The movement is so exaggerated that even if it is natural human motion, it stands out so much that it takes you out of the scene. Which kills tension.

As I mentioned above, none of this was enough to severely impact my impression of the episode, but it also didn't really enhance that particular scene in any way. I had a similar issue with the series Anohana - too much superfluous movement on the part of normal character gestures. Unicorn usually puts its complex character movements to such good use, too.
latenlazy

I suppose the novelty of animating in a way that mimics the full range of human gestures negates subtlety. Still, I give them credit for trying.
HellCat

I think the other side of this is motion capture. There's been alot of Japanese CGI animations and games in the last decade or so that use this, often with the very awkward habit of seemingly motion capping from the neck down and then just leaving facial expressions to the animators. It stands out especially when there are non-Japanese characters acting out Japanese gestures and mannerisms. MS IGLOO was full of this.
Xenosynth

I will say, having seen this episode:
1. This is probably my favorite episode. Between Marida's awesomeness and Mineva's awesome and Otto being awesome and just all the characters shining through in great ways... it was a great character piece in this episode. I'll leave it at that.

2. I am glad they extended the amount of episodes. If anything, I almost wish they would have made this into an 8 or more episode OVA just given how much better some things in earlier episodes could have been handled. I will say since episode 4 though, overall quality in terms of writing and everything has gone up. I'll just say that Unicorn had a sophomore slump for a bit. I do hope the last episode is even better.

3. We need moar Otto. I think he's become my favorite of all the ship captains. Also, the ECOAS leader was pretty cool too.
Andrew_Graruru

HellCat wrote:I think the other side of this is motion capture. There's been alot of Japanese CGI animations and games in the last decade or so that use this, often with the very awkward habit of seemingly motion capping from the neck down and then just leaving facial expressions to the animators. It stands out especially when there are non-Japanese characters acting out Japanese gestures and mannerisms. MS IGLOO was full of this.
I got this impression from episode six as well. When Mineva interrupts the tension between Angelo and Miccot in the engineering room, she almost looked rotoscoped to me. I dunno if it bothered me, it was interesting though.
Xenosynth wrote:t3. We need moar Otto. I think he's become my favorite of all the ship captains. Also, the ECOAS leader was pretty cool too.
Yes. Agreed. And that they were able to make Otto such a likeable character in just one episode is kinda impressive.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
BrentD15

Andrew_Graruru wrote:
Xenosynth wrote:t3. We need moar Otto. I think he's become my favorite of all the ship captains. Also, the ECOAS leader was pretty cool too.
Yes. Agreed. And that they were able to make Otto such a likeable character in just one episode is kinda impressive.
And just when he starts getting likeable, he gets killed off. :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Xenosynth

Edit
Last edited by Xenosynth on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kratos

I think he might have been joking.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Just saw the episode and I gotta say, I'm still pissed with Banrise for the episode 7 in 2014 thing, this episode was solid. It's too bad Marida is probably going to die in episode 7.... :(

Oh and now that I see the FA Unicorn in action, I'm a little more forgiving.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
BrentD15

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Just saw the episode and I gotta say, I'm still pissed with Banrise for the episode 7 in 2014 thing, this episode was solid. It's too bad Marida is probably going to die in episode 7.... :(

Oh and now that I see the FA Unicorn in action, I'm a little more forgiving.
If that's what's gonna happen, then I admit, it will be hard letting her go after she's Emma'd. :cry:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25