The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

I enjoyed 21. It wasn't as good as the last episode ( I happen to like char cliche's, thank you). But there were some enjoyable moments. I really get the feeling that Romary is either going to be pushed aside like Emily, or will end up betraying Asemu for Zeheart.

The latter seems unlikely, but that dark comment she made about being jealous makes me suspect something mildly dark is coming for her and Asemu. Judging from how he looked when she said that, he isn't stupid and knows something's up with her.

On the next ep, I hope we do see Flit in AGE-1 again.
HellCat wrote:If nothing else, the fact that the Vagan leader seems to have a mysterious agenda in regards to the Gundam leads me to suspect there might be a dark secret to the famous saviour. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a Reborns and had the final battle be against Sir Ezalcant in a twisted Gundam utilising lost technology.

That would be interesting, but unless Ezalcant freezes himself pretty soon, he won't be alive or in any physical condition to fight Kio, he is ancient looking already. However many years into the future with the third gen and he will most likely be dead I suspect.

Then again he might pull a Madorna and cease aging after a certain point :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
SonicSP

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:
SonicSP wrote: I find it unlikely there's going to be another lost Gundam somewhere though considering that the show so far seems intent on keeping Gundam developement to the AGE System , one "present main" Gundam and its Wears. It would be pretty weird if another different Gundam made from old technology would appear suddenly IMO.
That may be so for the main protagonist Mobile Suit, but since seed / destiny and 00 it kind of became a habit of having multiple gundam Mobile suits in the ranks of friends and foes alike.

I don't think they would go back to the roots of the original to have one gundam (in this case for each protagonist) and leave it at that.

i wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the series at least one "enemy" gundam type would appear.
That may be the trend, but the difference is that its a trend that started when those series actually begun or early on. They were enemy Gundams even from the onset (or quarter-way on in Gundam 00), and even within one organization a few Gundams were given to a few people at a given time, to take Celestial Being as an example who have four Gundams to four people at the onset.

The difference with AGE is that its not inflating the Gundam count that much since there's only one actual Gundam protagonist suit for each generation and the real world need for attaching the name "Gundam" to suits for merchandising purposes is solved with the Wear Systems of the Gundams which allows them to have many Gundams without having many Gundams, so to speak.

Not that I'm saying its impossible because nothing is, but I'm just saying I'm not getting the feel at this point and would be surprised by the end of AGE that there would be a new enemy Gundam. But I guess the only way to know for sure would be to wait and see.

I will say though, that the idea that a UE or non Gundam design like machine suddenly revealing a Gundam head like what Reborns did in 00 sounds appealing.
Amion wrote:
HellCat wrote:If nothing else, the fact that the Vagan leader seems to have a mysterious agenda in regards to the Gundam leads me to suspect there might be a dark secret to the famous saviour. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a Reborns and had the final battle be against Sir Ezalcant in a twisted Gundam utilising lost technology.

That would be interesting, but unless Ezalcant freezes himself pretty soon, he won't be alive or in any physical condition to fight Kio, he is ancient looking already. However many years into the future with the third gen and he will most likely be dead I suspect.

Then again he might pull a Madorna and cease aging after a certain point :mrgreen:
Not if he turns out to be a robot or some super humans with better properties and longer lifespans (like True Innovators in 00).......<__< >__>
Amion

SonicSP wrote: Not if he turns out to be a robot or some super humans with better properties and longer lifespans (like True Innovators in 00).......<__< >__>
Point taken.

On topic, I guess next week is going to be an epic battle, hopefully Zeheart will be piloting my beloved Zeydra. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing Desil in the spotlight for one episode.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Outlaw

My favorite part of episode 21: when Obright first sees Remi. When she popped out of that cockpit it was like someone hit him in the face with a wet towel, a wet towel (cue Barry White voice) of love. 8)
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
nacho-wan

I'm the only one that thought that Wulff was going to take Asemu to a nightclub, or at least to a bar?!
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

For a second, I honestly thought they were going to a strip club.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Strike Zero

Well, I didn't care all that much for episode 21. It was interesting to see that Romary is still holding a candle for Zeheart (kinda looking forward to see how they resolve that one) but other than that everything else was pretty "meh" again.

It seems that Genoace II pilot Obright is developing an attraction towards the engineer girl from the OP, Remi. Uh... okay, sure, why not.

The idea of the AGE-2 vs. the AGE-1 is neat in theory, but it ended up just being a simulation battle, so there wasn't really anything there. I feel like the fight would have been a little more interesting if it had just focused on Asemu vs. Flit's battle data instead of sticking the Zeydra in there too.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
DuelGundam2099

I'm pretty sure you can't have strip clubs or bars in a kid show.
SonicSP

nacho-wan wrote:I'm the only one that thought that Wulff was going to take Asemu to a nightclub, or at least to a bar?!
He's only 19, some places in the world won't let you drink at that age so probably not a good idea to have that. Kinda of like how Allelujah only got to drink the day he turned 20 in 00 I guess.

Strike Zero wrote:The idea of the AGE-2 vs. the AGE-1 is neat in theory, but it ended up just being a simulation battle, so there wasn't really anything there. I feel like the fight would have been a little more interesting if it had just focused on Asemu vs. Flit's battle data instead of sticking the Zeydra in there too.
Personally didn't find that too surprising since we saw a pink beam blow the AGE-2 up badly last week and it's unlikely they're going to have a training battle like that with real weapons on both sides.
ShadowCell

i kinda feel like Woolf threw in the Zeydra just to make sure Asem got his ass kicked and piss him off some more.

"punishment for sucking," you could say.
nacho-wan

Strike Zero wrote:The idea of the AGE-2 vs. the AGE-1 is neat in theory, but it ended up just being a simulation battle, so there wasn't really anything there. I feel like the fight would have been a little more interesting if it had just focused on Asemu vs. Flit's battle data instead of sticking the Zeydra in there too.
The real issue is that Asemu is being pursued by personal demons: he can't be as good as his dad, he couldn't stop his best friend and now he can't even be an x-rounder -which was his only hope to get to their level. His issue is not only his dad or only Zeahearth, is a combination of both of them plus his impression of how the world at large expects great things from him.

I'm glad that Asemu wasn't able to defeat the simulations. That would have killed his character development. I really think that he would ultimatedly turn into a x-rounder. I don't think the test is too trustworthy and I highly doubt the Feddies were able to nail X rounder theory during the time skip.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
MarshalBraginsky

Let's hope that we get to see what the geography of Earth in AGE next episode or two. Most Gundam series do provide the map of the Earth Federation.
Compass

I expected Flit to be much more Gendo-ish. The part where he said "I'm not your dad, I'm the Commander" initially threw me off, but the fact that he patted him on the head afterwards and made light of it, and the fact that he checked on the
Spoiler
X-Rounder results and told him that he believed Asem could pull it off
really makes it hard for me to think anything poorly of Flit.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
SonicSP

Even if he didn't pat him on the head, I would have thought nothing of it as Asemu was acting out of line there. They may be family but they should act like rank when within the company of other military officers; at least not to the point Asemu did anyways.
Chris
Administrator

Compass wrote:I expected Flit to be much more Gendo-ish.
Which is why you all should stop trying to force the comparison. Nothing at all that Flit has done makes him "Gendo-ish" aside from the insistence of fans to claim that he is.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arsarcana

You'd think the first episode of this generation would have driven that home. Can you imagine Gendo taking time off from work just to see his son on his birthday? Even Rebuild (where everyone is slightly less dysfunctional) required Rei to intervene just to get Gendo to agree to eat dinner with his son.

*Adjusts glasses* Besides, there can only be one Gendo *Smirks behind clasped hands*
Sume Gai

I guess People find the idea of a Father in Gundam caring about their child to be just a bit to alein to accept *Munches on a 'shroom for emphasis* WHOAH! I didn't know purple could look so green....
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Compass

The last father figure I recall that actually was cool happens to be Cagalli's father. We all remember Athrun's father :roll:
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
mobiusdiablo

Sume Gai wrote:I guess People find the idea of a Father in Gundam caring about their child to be just a bit to alien to accept *Munches on a 'shroom for emphasis* WHOAH! I didn't know purple could look so green....
Amen to that. And, I mean, not all the dads in Gundam were horrible horrible parents. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Kamille's dad and Iron Mask. Oh and Patrick Zala. But still, not that many. *munches on honey bun for emphasis*

>> no seriously, I have honey buns :P
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Sume Gai

-Tim Ray: basically drags his son to space and then ignores him to build mobile suits.
-Franklin Bidan: cared more for his lover than his wife or son with nasty/traumatizing results
-Hangelg Ewin: leaves Uso basically alone to go fight with the league militare
-Cardias Vist: clearly did enough unpleasant things that his wife took their son and left
-Ulen Hibiki: (Kira's biological father): uses his unborn son as a medical subject just to prove he can.
-Patrick Zala: so obsessed with genocide he tried to shoot his own son for trying to talk him out of it

Judau, most of the wing boys, Garrod, Loran, Setsuna & Flit are all orphans.
Most OVA characters don't talk about their fathers at all.

We see Seebook and Quatre have seemingly decent fathers but those certainly don't last long.

I think Alfred Izuhara from 0080 is the only main character who has a good father we meet who doesn't die tragically in front of him, even then he was clearly a rather absentee parent. Domon might count once you get past the jerking around his whole family received from Ulube and Dr. Mikimura.

So yeah odds are people expect rather bad parenting in Gundam or death. Possibly even one then the other. Since I doubt anyone expects AGE to kill off it's first protagonist they obviously lean to the former citing reasonable evidence to support this theory. (comparisons between Amuro who wallowed in depression years after Lahlah's death, his acknowledged refusal to accept the Vegan as humans and driving his son to walk the same path he did.) I'm sure there will be disagreements between Asemu and Flit to come especially after the former's revelation in this past episode but Gendo is an extreme I think is entirely unjustified.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern