Gundam Characters You wish that Survived>

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SlowTurtle

Gundam Characters You wish that Survived>

Figuered I do the opposit of a another post in this thread. We always talk about who we wish had died or who had the collest death. However lets talk about those characters we wish had survived and had a better ending.

For me it would have to be the members of the Shrike, each of this ladies required a better fate imo. Please post your gundam character that you wanted to survive.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Strike Zero

Re: Gundam Characters You wish that Survived>

The first character that comes to mind is Flay Alster from Gundam SEED. Her death at that point served no purpose other than for Kira to enter his SEEDRAGEHAX mode, and I would have vastly preferred it if the plot had been gracious enough to let her survive instead. If nothing else, I would have liked to see how her and Kira's relationship would have preceded from there, not to mention the effects their being together would have had on DESTINY.

More recently, there's also Yurin L'Ciel from Gundam AGE. That whole business was just ball-bustingly rage-worthy.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
domino

I completely agree with the Shrike Team and Yurin. Their deaths only served to darken the tone of the respective episodes (and the series as a result) but did not do anything to build a character or advance the storyline. They were victims of "let's kill someone" to add tragedy to the pilot's life.

I don't agree with Flay. Glad she died.

I wish that Heine had survived. He would've been a far better mentor to Shinn than Athrun and Rey ever were. He appeared, brought a calm sense to the Minerva's command with his laisse faire attitude and dedication to duty only to become a tragedy of the Archangel and that meddling Kira.
Admiral Larsen

Strike Zero wrote:The first character that comes to mind is Flay Alster from Gundam SEED. Her death at that point served no purpose other than for Kira to enter his SEEDRAGEHAX mode, and I would have vastly preferred it if the plot had been gracious enough to let her survive instead. If nothing else, I would have liked to see how her and Kira's relationship would have preceded from there, not to mention the effects their being together would have had on DESTINY.

More recently, there's also Yurin L'Ciel from Gundam AGE. That whole business was just ball-bustingly rage-worthy.
I'd have to agree about Flay as well for she already had an enormous amount of development and it would have been nice to see her reunite with Kira and she and him reconcile. And after seeing the effects of Kira on Destiny, having Flay survive and her being with Kira instead can only have been a good thing.

Although I liked it only because of what we may actually see the result of a Gundam pilot's loved one dying right before the pilot's eyes, I'm also a bit peeved about Yurin dying as well.
yazi88

Odelo from V Gundam is the most obvious answer, but I got another one, Apolly, cause the AEUG barely has any senior pilots/officers and especially people who NEVER got on Kamille's bad side.

Apolly was a jokester but also a senior role model who kept the dumb kids of the Argama out of trouble like Fa and Katz. I was really sad to see him die.
Arsarcana

Spoiler
Marida. Heroic sacrifices are good for drama but couldn't they have picked anyone else for that role? Say, some character whose life wasn't already a long string of things getting worse? Ples just can't catch a break...
Also, Gavane. His death sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't really serve much purpose beyond making Sochie suffer for no reason.
Last edited by Chris on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dude, don't spoil Unicorn stuff when the anime is still running.
J-Lead

Arsarcana wrote:
Spoiler
Marida. Heroic sacrifices are good for drama but couldn't they have picked anyone else for that role? Say, some character whose life wasn't already a long string of things getting worse? Ples just can't catch a break...
HEY! Spoiler that shit, not everyone's read the novels/spoilers from /m/, you know.

On that note, I kind of wish Emma Sheen survived. Something tells me she would have been a pretty good role model for the kids in ZZ. Also, she seems like she'd be a nice foil to their antics, and a bit of a necessary wet blanket in a lighthearted show like that.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Dark Duel

Ooh boy. This is gonna be a long list.

1. Natarle Badgiruel. She was a great character stuck in a crappy situation, and I personally feel she really deserved better than having to die along with that slime Azrael. As much as she was primarily the no-nonsense, by-the-book military type, there were a few moments in Seed where we saw there was more to her than that, and I frankly found her a much more interesting character than Murrue Ramius; Plus having somebody around for Destiny in the Alliance who ISN'T a raging maniac answering to a genocidal terrorist would've in my view done a lot to improve that story.

2. Yurin L'Ciel in Gundam AGE, for reasons already stated. Plus I feel the only reason she got killed off was because it's Gundam and they absolutely HAD to emulate Lalah Sune's death in MSG. Which is getting really annoying. It had no point beyond that except to make Flit angry, which really was not entirely necessary given that he already had plenty enough motivation to want to kick some arse in that battle anyway.

3. Mudie Holcroft in Stargazer. Setting aside the fact that basically no character in Stargazer got much development except Sven, Mudie dying in such an unnecessarily brutal fashion irritated me for a couple of reasons. First off, it was a waste of a perfectly good mobile suit. Second, it served no purpose beyond supergluing the Idiot Ball to Shams's hands so he could die an even more pointless and idiotic death ten minutes later.

4. From Unicorn...
Spoiler
Marida Cruz, for reasons already stated.
5. Stella Loussier, for two reasons. First, similar reasons to Marida, although less so; Second, being around her seemed to really bring out positive aspects of Shinn's character, and I think that had she lived it is very unlikely that Shinn would've so easily let himself be manipulated into being Durandal's obedient pet berserker in the finale.

6. Heine, because like Domino said I think he would've been a far better mentor than either Rey, who's basically Durandal's pet, or Athrun, who's essentially spineless.

There's more, but those are the major ones for now.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SlowTurtle

Re: Gundam Characters You wish that Survived

Ok some really nice choices here, lets keep it up and please watch out for those open spoilers. Keep those bad boys under a spoiler tag please :D
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Wingnut

SlowTurtle wrote:For me it would have to be the members of the Shrike, each of this ladies required a better fate imo. Please post your gundam character that you wanted to survive.
domino wrote:I completely agree with the Shrike Team and Yurin. Their deaths only served to darken the tone of the respective episodes (and the series as a result) but did not do anything to build a character or advance the storyline. They were victims of "let's kill someone" to add tragedy to the pilot's life.
Adding to that would be the three Astray girls, and unlike the Shrikes they get a lot more development in the Astray mangas, Juri in particular.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Concur wholeheartedly with the above. Especially Juri
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Outlaw

J-Lead wrote:I kind of wish Emma Sheen survived.
Despite the fact that her death was one of the more impactful in Zeta, I agree. Being one of the few characters in the series who wasn't chock full of drama, crazy, or both I really appreciated having Emma around. Arguably my favorite character in Zeta, bar none my favorite female character in all of Gundamdom.

Wingnut wrote:Adding to that would be the three Astray girls, and unlike the Shrikes they get a lot more development in the Astray mangas, Juri in particular.
I'll agree to that, but I do have an um... "affinity" for ladies with glasses so I'm just a scooch biased. :P
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Ceiling_Squid

South Burning from 0083. The guy was a cool character, and competent to boot.

I only say this because, while it was sad to see him go, he died in a very unlucky, chump sort of way that you saw coming. Feels like they wrote him out just to fulfill the "mentor figure dies midway through" cliche. Would have been nice if he'd actually been around for the final arc and died in a way that was more heroic than a random post-battle catastrophic engine failure.

In fact, screw that, I get that he had to die. But couldn't they have done it in a way with a little more dramatic weight? He should have gone down fighting. The fact that the scene direction and writing blatantly telegraphed his death minutes ahead of time totally killed the tension as well.

Totally unsatisfying.

Also, Oliver from Victory Gundam. He had a very touching funeral scene and to see him go was pretty sad...but he went in a way that was very pointless. His decision to make a kamikaze attack completely came out of nowhere. I mean, the guy had just gotten married a couple episodes back, and had a hell of a lot left to live for! He should be considering that the League Militaire needed good pilots like him, and a desperate move like that wouldn't have won them any battles. In fact, the Motorad ship basically shrugged off what little damage he inflicted and it only delayed the enemy for repairs that took half-a-day at most.

Oliver's death was one of those that just made me shake my head and say "what a waste."
Mu La Flaga

Ok where to start.

MSG: Ryu, the guy didn't deserve it, but it's how he went out, also Sleggar.
Zeta: Apolly, Emma and for a new nomination I'm going to say Sarah(she wasn't totally evil to the core just blindly loyal to Scirocco)
ZZ: Puru 1
Same as answered spoiler Unicorn one.

Wing: Treize.
X: Can't think of anyone in particular.
SEED: Flay(She was changing later on and gets killed by Rau, I wanted to see how things might have gone if Flay was different then before)
Destiny: Stella and Rey, as well as Tallia.
00: Christie, Anew Returner, Sergei Smirnov, Graham.

That is all I've got thus far.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teslashark

Ey... I'm just opposed to killing "important" -see the quote marks please- people before the climax of a show. Either they're quickly forgotten by both their comerades and the audience, or the moaning of their loss sting then eventually annoy us for the rest of the show. If they did last to the last battle of so, they should be reconized by at least someone inside the show, not just like yesterday's trash.

The Flag squadron, the Shrike team, etc... The former is what drives Graham crazy but had become morre and more abstract. The latter... Just gonna let you guys talk about it yourself. I'm also a Jerid sympathiser(WTF at myself).

BTW, how high is the average weekly casualty rate of for 100 named characters during a year-round show?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Admiral Larsen

I'd also like to add Uzumi Athla for his death was a waste and it elevated Cagalli, who was not even related to him by blood, into a position she was totally unsuited for.
zerogradius

On that note, I kind of wish Emma Sheen survived. Something tells me she would have been a pretty good role model for the kids in ZZ. Also, she seems like she'd be a nice foil to their antics, and a bit of a necessary wet blanket in a lighthearted show like that.
I agree 200%. She was the best female character Gundam has ever had in my opinion, and would have whipped Judau into shape pretty quickly. Also, all of that nonsense with Fa piloting the Zeta and Judau's ridiculous antics in it would have been avoided.

As for the Shrike Team, I think only half of them deserved to live, but it's hard to make an assessment on a group that was specifically created to tease Uso and die horribly in battle. Three of them died relatively quickly, and of those, only the one who had the funeral was interesting enough to save.

Flay I think got what she deserved for what she put Kira and Sai through. The only reason I would want to see her live would be to tell Ramius what was going on in the Dominion. She never knew the lengths to which Natarle went to save her.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Admiral Larsen wrote:I'd also like to add Uzumi Athla for his death was a waste and it elevated Cagalli, who was not even related to him by blood, into a position she was totally unsuited for.
amen brother.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
teslashark

I suddenly want to say, Gundam-dead characters=Dragonar.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Mu La Flaga

I forgot to add.
Miharu for MSG.
And for SEED the Astray Girls, especially Juri.