Bleach is offically ending!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
majorshatz

Re: Bleach is offically ending!

I wouldn't be to worry about it ending anytime soon. It's moving pretty fast right now, but you never know what could happen. I'm personally hoping for the royal guard and possible the spirit king make an appearance possible having some control behind the scenes. Which could be possible, Kubo loves to introduce new characters during new arcs which he is quite good at and the royal guard would give him a great chance if the Quincy don't turn out flavorful enough.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.” Benny Hill
JulieYBM

The arc still has years left in it. We're still at the first real battle with the Quincies and it's of course the obligatory "heroes get their butts kicked" fight. This is pretty this arc's version of the first battle with the Arrancars where the Hitsugaya team struggled.
She/Her
Arbiter GUNDAM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Ishida and his old man supposed to be the only Quincies left?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

That was the assumption which was obviously proven wrong.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

So ummm...guys....Bleach 502...thoughts?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
majorshatz

Soma Taozi wrote:So ummm...guys....Bleach 502...thoughts?
I think the chapter was very good. I completely forgot about Kempachi and I also enjoyed how not all the fights are shown or in super long detail like during the arrancar.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.” Benny Hill
Destiny_Gundam

KUUUUUUUUBOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler
Byakuya better not be dead or I swear I'll... I'll... cry like a little girl ;_;
But yeah, Kenpachi has no bankai to steal. He'll still probably lose, though.
JulieYBM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Kenpachi is going to lose, which will be interesting considering how he's some unbeatable beast in the comic. Once the other commanders begin to fall, I suspect it'll be the lieutenant commanders without Bankai (plus Renji, assuming he doesn't go nuts seeing his dear command slain) escaping to the human world or left to rebuild after this initial attack. Team Ichigo plus Rukia and Renji will probably attack the ice castle that the Vandenreich live at for revenge, assuming Byakuya is really dead. Then the Royal Guard will probably come to back them up.
She/Her
Amion

At long last character death. Byakuya really got on my nerves, so I'm....Historically crying :cry:

Wow, I never knew I cared about him that much. And yah, Kempachi is a beast. I didn't pay attention that well, but was it just my oversight, or did anyone see that Kempachi's zenpakuto was actually smooth and repaired? I wonder if he finally learned the name of his blade (about time if he did
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
KUUUUUUUUBOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler
Byakuya better not be dead or I swear I'll... I'll... cry like a little girl ;_;
But yeah, Kenpachi has no bankai to steal. He'll still probably lose, though.
)

Uh, I think the Vandenriech leader said as much, so yes, unless Kubo pulls a fast one,
Spoiler
Byakuya Kuchiki is in fact dead
I also have to hand it to Kubo for putting Ichigo into a position where he literal watches everyone he was supposed to save die while he can do nothing (er, edit: hears everyone's voices) That has to be driving him insane.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Not really. What they felt is probably Byakuya's spiritual pressure vanish. Or at least become so small that it's undetectable. Wouldn't be the first time they pulled something like this.
Dark Duel

Hiyori was CUT IN HALF AT THE WAIST and they were able to heal her. So really, Byakuya's injuries here are comparatively minor.
Of course, it's entirely possible he might be dead. But IMO, it's not all that likely.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Well that's no fun. But until proven otherwise, I'll just assume the as yet unnamed vandenriech is correct.

That having been said, I have a question I'm sure has been brought up before. Why is it that the shinigami no longer use any inkling of kido at all? I was surprised that it was used so little during the war. Actually, aside from Aizen, don't know of too many people who used it then. And now, with the bankai being targeted, I would expect at least a few spells flying around. Or have I missed something?
Dark Duel

Well, Hisagi threw some kidou around once or twice when he fought that arrancar I've taken to calling the lobster man (because I can't be bothered to remember his name), and there were a couple of other examples. Other than that, you're right - I can't think of any major examples recently of anyone using kidou - in the manga, at least - in quite a long time. It's especially disappointing in Byakuya's case IMO, since he was previously shown to be quite proficient at it, and yet in this latest bout, nada.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Pardon my stupidity, but since getting into the manga after the anime's demise, I was wondering what the usual release dates are for Bleach. All the info sites I read from say it's a weekly release, but from what I can see this is anything but true.

Does Shonen Jump have so many stories running that they alternate every other week between manga?
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Amion wrote:Pardon my stupidity, but since getting into the manga after the anime's demise, I was wondering what the usual release dates are for Bleach. All the info sites I read from say it's a weekly release, but from what I can see this is anything but true.

Does Shonen Jump have so many stories running that they alternate every other week between manga?
Not a stupid question at all, I asked the same thing when I got back into the manga...it is released every Wednesday normally around noonish give or take what time zone you are in.

However, this week there will be no Bleach because Kubo is sick ( :( ) and next week the whole magazine is taking a break...so no Bleach until the end of August.
Dark Duel wrote:Well, Hisagi threw some kidou around once or twice when he fought that arrancar I've taken to calling the lobster man (because I can't be bothered to remember his name), and there were a couple of other examples. Other than that, you're right - I can't think of any major examples recently of anyone using kidou - in the manga, at least - in quite a long time. It's especially disappointing in Byakuya's case IMO, since he was previously shown to be quite proficient at it, and yet in this latest bout, nada.
I have a feeling people are using Kido in this war, we just haven't seen it yet. And remember, unless you are really good a casting powerful spells (like Hisagi who killed "lobster man" with kido) it is a poor substitute for a bankai and sometimes even shikai. I have a feeling Momo will pull some amazing kido out, like she did in the FKT arc, but you guys are right...not a lot of kido going on.

Then again, it was almost an entire arc since we SAW anyone from the Soul Society and Rukia tried to use kido when she fought against the Fullbringers (with an explosive result) and the rest of those battles it wasn't practical to use kido because they dominated the fullbringer or they just didn't know how (I am looking at you Ikkaku).
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

Thanks Soma! And I hope you're right about us seeing more Kido. I understand the reasoning for the characters not pulling it out, I just think it would add esthetics to the manga's battles. I guess japanese have different views though...So long as the story progresses with an interesting note, the lack of proper kido won't bother me.

I hope we get some more on the royal guard. It had to be one that killed Kirge, because I can't think of anything or anyone (aside from an unsealed and loose Aizen) who would cause Urahura to drop his usual attitude of indifference like he did. That or a new as yet unmentioned character...
Imperial

I'm hoping as hard as I can that this particular character stays dead. For all of it war aesthetic, Bleach has been woefully short on protagonists actually dying. I don't think more bodies makes for a better narrative, but it really shatters my suspension of disbelief when NO ONE on Team Good Guy dies in what is supposed to be an epic battle for the fate of the world.

Also, I just think that character is a pompous jerk. I'll never fathom his fan base.
This space for rent
Destiny_Gundam

Imperial wrote:For all of it war aesthetic, Bleach has been woefully short on protagonists actually dying. I don't think more bodies makes for a better narrative, but it really shatters my suspension of disbelief when NO ONE on Team Good Guy dies in what is supposed to be an epic battle for the fate of the world.
To be fair 90% of the characters are dead in the first place.
Imperial wrote:I'll never fathom his fan base.
He's cool and he's sexy and he really a big softy deep down. How can you not see how dreamy he is?
Imperial

Destiny_Gundam wrote:To be fair 90% of the characters are dead in the first place.
This seems like the go-to response for that particular criticism, and it completely misses the point. Why bother building up the tension of moments like Chad and Renji and Hiyori's near-deaths if they're just going to be saved by the medics? Soul Society is a society of warriors. Someone needs to die outside of a flashback.
He's cool and he's sexy and he really a big softy deep down. How can you not see how dreamy he is?
He's irritating and a generic, brooding bishounen and his suddenly sympathetic back story was total hogwash.
This space for rent
JulieYBM

Byakuya doesn't really brood. He just looks down on people. His backstory isn't particularly sympathetic, either. The bastard was still willing to go along with killing his wife's sister until he had his ass handed to him and an excuse to not try anymore.

As such, it's moments like his battle with Zommari Rureaux that make him entertaining. Most characters in Bleach are the type pull out the measuring stick and arrogantly and calmly prove how superior they are to their foe. Byakuya manages to do so with this fun little line: "At what point did I ever claim that I was cutting you down in my capacity as a Shinigami? To justify the actions I have taken I need but one reason. You raised your blade in contempt of my pride."

I find it to be particularly difficult to hate any of the characters in Bleach, or even the series itself.
She/Her