Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga

Post subject: mecha release question
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

Are we allowed to MENTION mecha scanlation releases so long as we do not link to them?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 am 
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert

Rules say discussion of illegal media is not allowed. Just talk about the series rather than the scanlations themselves.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 am 
Lackey GM Pilot

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Rules say discussion of illegal media is not allowed. Just talk about the series rather than the scanlations themselves.

I am confused. what is the difference? Unless you mean only talk about the artwork?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 am 

Talk about the title itself, what happens in the chapter, etc. Don't talk about stuff like the group who scanlated it, or how you don't like the font they use or whatever.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 am 
Lackey GM Pilot

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Talk about the title itself, what happens in the chapter, etc. Don't talk about stuff like the group who scanlated it, or how you don't like the font they use or whatever.
Can i at least mention that it HAS been scanlated, so long as i do not name the group?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:08 pm 
HiMAT Spammer

Quote:
No posting of links or discussion of illegal media is allowed on the forums.

I think that includes talk of scanlantions. Just start talking about the series and no harm will come.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:55 pm 

animalia wrote:
Can i at least mention that it HAS been scanlated, so long as i do not name the group?

Be safe and don't. We're all smart people around here so if you talk about a series and they're interested they have ways of finding that stuff for themselves.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm 
Bald Wizard

Animalia, I don't see what the problem is here. You're not a new user. This is no different from when people discuss fansubbed anime that they're watching. They don't mention that it's been fansubbed, as it's just a given and has nothing to do with the topic.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:43 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

Chris wrote:
Animalia, I don't see what the problem is here. You're not a new user. This is no different from when people discuss fansubbed anime that they're watching. They don't mention that it's been fansubbed, as it's just a given and has nothing to do with the topic.

it just seems weird, does everybody talking about it assume the others can all read Japanese or something. It seems that by the very nature of talking about an unlicensed work we are acknowledging there is a scanlation/fansub

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:50 pm 
Traitor Villain

Of course there are people here who use fansubs and scanlations. That's sort of obvious. What is the problem?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

ShadowCell wrote:
Of course there are people here who use fansubs and scanlations. That's sort of obvious. What is the problem?

The problem is were saying don't talk about scans and subs, but by the mere fact of describing the story we are acknowledging their existence of the things we are not supposed to acknowledge. It seems like a big catch 22

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm 
Bald Wizard

I really don't get your confusion or why this is such a big deal to you. I don't care how people watch or read the things they discuss here. What I don't want is people being directed to fansubs or scanlations with links posted here. But either way, what relevance does it have to you how people watched something? This is not a complicated concept.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:19 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

The reference is slightly out-of-date now, but I suppose the topic of quite how the non-Japanese-speaking majority of us blunder through the various Gundam media which haven't seen official releases outside of Japan is the Don't Ask, Don't Tell of this fandom.

Simply put, nobody raises the issue of how others on the board are following the series/film/manga/etc. in public view, and nobody volunteers the information either. (That, by the way, could be taken as a subtle hint.)

And that's how it works. We know how we're doing it. We know 99.9% of the other people on the forum know how we're doing it. But we don't mention it, and neither do they. And the cycle of good form (and tacit evasion of awkward legal questions) continues... :roll:

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga