The Official Eureka Seven Ao Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DAG101

Re: The Official Eureka Seven Ao Anime Thread Mk I

Yeah, after watching the ending, I was a little disappointed...as my bf pointed out, after I told him about the ending, and some of the eva references in the show, he suggested they might have made the ending intentionally inconclusive, in reference to those infamous Evangelion ending episodes, to lead into a movie or OVA. Not the best way to end your show...but yeah, the pacing definitely didn't seem right for a 24-episode show. Maybe a fifty-episode show, like the last...

Besides, I wanna see a movie/ova/something that shows where exactly the 'kannon' is from, what the new world at the end is like, etc.

Also, is it not a bit strange Renton and Eureka started to kill the scub? What EXACTLY was the Truth of the world that Truth was talking about? And...doesn't this kinda prove Dewey Novak right, since even the heroes of the last show haven't been able to coexist with the scub?

Personally, I kinda want a direct sequel to the first show...and a prequel to the movie (despite it's flaws, the world of the movie VERY MUCH intrigued me, and I wish we'd gotten more information on the backstory stuff involving Renton's parents and the Gekko State and such...although, maybe we kinda got SOMETHING like that in Ao)
Destiny_Gundam

If anything the ending was a reference to Gunbuster.

And I at least understood that Truth was trying to get the world back to our real life history.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Toxicity

The scene itself visually I can see as being a reference to Gunbuster, the the theme is completely different since the girls got a nice warm welcome, and Ao's probably going to get little more than a "Who the heck are you and why's your hair blue?"
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Boy this show was a mess. Didn't make much sense right to the very end, just randomly throwing crap at us expecting us either to just roll with it or be too distracted by the pretty lights. In the end I have no idea what the show was trying to do.

Still, it didn't make me particularly mad or anything. Just made me go WTF a lot. The ending definitely lacked a lot of resolution, though, and there were a couple of things introduced that they just kind of hope you forget about. Notably in the last episode, Fleur's Third Engine activates so I was expecting her to follow Ao, or be the only one to remember him, or something. Maybe it'll get another OVA for an epilouge.

Well at least it's not as bad as the movie.
For once we can completely agree on something. ^_^ For all the mess this show was, at least it gave us Noah and a good soundtrack.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Actually to me, this final made perfect sense (except with Fleur and her second engine starting, I do wish they did something with that and instead just left it hanging).

However, I think why I loved the final and how everything was explain was because I just rewatched the entire show up to episode 22 in preparation for the final...after several days of consideration and seeing your guys comments and confusion, I do think that Ao is one of those shows that deserves a rewatch and to see it ALL the way through from start to finish. These weeks of waiting, mixed with the delayed final personally make me think the story suffered from the weekly release dates.

That being said, I do think this show could have benefited from 50 episodes, it would have helped with the pacing, but i don't think this show is SO bad that it warrants it completely...again, it is hard to discuss this when I think I am the only one who has rewatched this show :)

Again, I recommend a few months (or years) down the road, you guys take the time to rewatch Ao. To be honest I liked it a lot.

Now excuse me as I try desperately to finish this Sierra Nevada...which is a terrible beer, which SHOULD be erased from history. I have to disagree with Ao here, "it is SO wrong that erasing it WOULD make it right."
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Toxicity

I don't see what difference it'd make had the show been 2 seasons in length. Throughout the entire show, it didn't feel as if there was any sense of what exactly it wanted to accomplish or where it wanted to go with itself. It was just all over the place. If the show never had any direction to begin with, to me making it twice as long in length would've only been a waste of the viewer's time and the studio's money.

To me it seems very similar to the current problems with Hollywood where instead of sitting down to think of fresh new intriguing material, (most)everybody are just rehashing older names and IPs in hopes of making a quick buck by appealing to the nostalgia crowd. Very few of the remake movies in the recent years that I've seen have been anywhere near as good as their source material/inspiration, and Ao is no different.
Cipher8492

Eureka Seven AO Ending....yeah....okay [SPOILERS!]

Okay, so I just finished AO, and I'm kinda somewhat confused, as I think other people are. So what I think happened was
Spoiler
Renton came to Ao's universe to save Eureka, but she was trapped in dimensional limbo. So Renton wanted to destroy the first Scub in that universe with the Quartz Gun so that that Scub wouldn't exist and Eureka would return to normal, but in return all the Coral Carriers would subsequently disappear. Ao didn't want that because his lady friend Naru would cease to exist, so he fights Renton for the Q. Gun, and takes it to the sky pillar or light thing, which takes him to Eureka's universe before she dimensional jumps with the Quartz. Ao, to the dismay of Eureka and Renton, uses the Q. Gun to destroy the Scub that are jumping universes (because they want to surpass the Limit of Life), which therefore throws him into dimensional limbo. Now he's jumping from one dimension to the next, hoping that his next leap will be leap home.
...I think. Can someone elaborate on this please?
Chris
Administrator

Re: Eureka Seven AO Ending....yeah....okay [SPOILERS!]

C'mon, is it so hard to use the AO thread that's on this SAME PAGE? Merged.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
DuelGundam2099

I know this may sound weird, but I am curious, did Japan like it? Hate it? Neutral? I also want to know why the airings were all over the place and not in a consistent order; I get the Olympics, but everything else contradicts the "buying airtime 13 weeks a season" rule Chris mentioned in the Gundam Age topic. Did the makers of AO find some sort of weird loophole or something?