The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
hellbore

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So apparently Flit goes Newtype-y and Yurin is some sort of a fugitive. *munches on chocolate bar*
Fugitive, no. She was definitely sold out by her adoptive father and taken by Eden for her X-Rounder abilities (and maybe her connection to Flit as the Gundam pilot). Also Desil appears to be an x-Rounder as well.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
DuelGundam2099

Not only that, but apparently he acts as EDEN's blood hound for X-Rounders.
Overlord Zaru

There was some good spots of animation this episode.

And the X-Rounder is different from Newtype powers because Newtypes could use telepathy, whereas these X-Rounders are able to use a Precognition like power akin to Kenbunshoku Haki/Mantra from One Piece.

And More death flags for Yurin, great.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
HellCat

I kinda hope X-Rounder gets replaced with a 'cooler' term later. When 00 used Innovator which was a stone's throw from Coordinator I was suspecting they'd run out of cool 'evolved human' names and this seems to confirm it. With a century to play with there's still time to expand it.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Hey did anyone else notice that the opening was a little different? The last few seconds were we normally have the Diva fly overhead, instead we have a dark shape. What the hell could that be? From before we saw that the Diva looks no different now that it has been upgraded...so I wonder what it could be?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
ShadowCell

so that's why he keeps eating those chocolate bars! they're brain fuel!
Sulendil Zeta

Soma Taozi wrote:Hey did anyone else notice that the opening was a little different? The last few seconds were we normally have the Diva fly overhead, instead we have a dark shape. What the hell could that be? From before we saw that the Diva looks no different now that it has been upgraded...so I wonder what it could be?
Spoiler
It's Age-2 Normal in MA mode. :)
Wingnut

ShadowCell wrote:so that's why he keeps eating those chocolate bars! they're brain fuel!
Om nom nom.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

It all makes sense now; Flit, Yurin and Desil are the descendants of mutants from the Marvel Universe!
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Deathzealot

Well this an interesting episode all-around, well worth the wait. Love the anti-ship action here, though the Feddie Fleet and Diva score no kills against the UE Warships. Speaking of the UE Warships is it just me or they bear some resemblance to a Musai from Original Gundam and are quite different from the Mothership seen earlier in the series. Meanwhile the Feddie Warships bear some resembence to other noted Feddie Warships in other Gundam series (i.e the Salamis series), though the look of the ships have similar lines to the Amanesel from Gundam X. We also finally see the allied warships joining the Diva in the attack, which are basically the same ship design just different colors for Euba and Zallam.

Honestly though I really enjoyed this episode with action all around. Love how the Feddies pulled a fast one on the Diva. With the flash-bombs and then the Fed Genoaces holding the Diva down with threatening the bridge and both deployed catapults. Reminds me of the scene in 00 Season Two where an A-LAWs GNX-III comes right up to the catapult of the Ptomely II and threatens Setsuna in the new Gundam 00. Heh. I question though when the Feds had the time to launch those mobile suits and have them rush to the Diva to get into position all in the like five to ten seconds the Diva is blinded for.

However what in the world is Yurins Adopted Father up too! First he helps Grodeck and his allies with planning the attack on the UE and then turns around sells out Yurin to this EDEN Group which we know has some sort of connection to the UE.

I guess that we a two-episode long "final battle", and a final episode to tie up some loose ends then we get to the Second Arc of the series. Things are really looking up! Can't Wait!
zerogradius

So Flit has special powers now. Perhaps his interaction with Yurin enabled them. At least there's an explanation for the X-Rounder thing unlike what we were told about other Gundam powers like Seed Mode. I also liked how Grodeck was able to get the Federation forces to fight with him. I only wish they had accompanied him to Ambat instead of just letting him get away.

It's nice to see Largan finally get a kill, but I thought that his beam spray gun was ineffective against the UE. I'm still waiting for Vargas to help the guy out and give him at least a new weapon.
Wingnut

zerogradius wrote:It's nice to see Largan finally get a kill, but I thought that his beam spray gun was ineffective against the UE. I'm still waiting for Vargas to help the guy out and give him at least a new weapon.
He was using a new model in this episode. IIRC, it's the same one the Genoace II will be using in the future.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
ShadowCell

oh man, watch, Strahler is gonna show up at the battle at Ambat and release his entire payload of empty chocolate bar wrappers, which the UE will mistake for mobile suits, drawing their fire and breaking up their lines just enough to give our heroes victory

either that or they'll kill him, and the way we'll know for sure that he's dead is a scorched chocolate bar floating by in space
Arbiter GUNDAM

X-Rounders might not be the exact same as Newtypes but personally, I think it's just about the dumbest term they could have come up with.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
NastyNate

I get even more of a feeling that Yurin is going to be lalahed. I think that flit is going to be the one to have to take her out too when the UE use her as a supper weapon. (maybe she will be put in the cockpets with all the old stinky pedos that have to hold her hand for instant newtype powers :lol: ) I wonder what was up with Yurins adopted dad just turning the other cheek when the UE came and took her away.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
nacho-wan

I'm surprised nobody pointed the similarity between the UE small carriers and the Musai Cruisers.

For the overall episode, I expected some more aggressive moves from Groinek. At least he had the prevision of hiding the Gundam in the colony shadow. It is just me, or the Diva MS compliment should be bigger?

I too hoped that the Feddies would join then in the last battle, but letting him go is the only reasonable thing the inspector could do before his crew mutinies on him.

Seeing how five fed cruisers were unable to destroy small-fry UE carries, I got the impression that Grudek and company will fail in their mission. They may sell their lives high, but they have no weaponary to take the big UE ships least their fortress.

Maybe, the aftermath of the mission is the reason Flint turns into disgrunted military officer hated by his son?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Deathzealot

nacho-wan wrote:I'm surprised nobody pointed the similarity between the UE small carriers and the Musai Cruisers.
I believe I did, yes they do look somewhat similar to Musais, while the Fed Ships looks like it a cross between a Salamis and the Fed Flagship from Gundam X.

Also yes I too happen to think that the Diva's MS Complement should be slightly larger then it should.
nacho-wan wrote: Seeing how five fed cruisers were unable to destroy small-fry UE carries, I got the impression that Grudek and company will fail in their mission. They may sell their lives high, but they have no weaponary to take the big UE ships least their fortress.
Have you forgotten about the Divas new weapon? I think they will at least do some damage to the UE, enough to knock them back for a while.
Chris
Administrator

nacho-wan wrote:Maybe, the aftermath of the mission is the reason Flint turns into disgrunted military officer hated by his son?
Uhh, where on Earth are you getting this from?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
lordgoober

If something from /m is to be believed, the X-Rounder thing is based off of Tomino's FIRST series which never got beyond a pilot apparently.

quoted from srwg-w which quoted it from /m
Okay, I'm sorry for spazzing out like that, but this is major shit for me.

I'll do a quick walkthrough for anyone who got into anime during the 80s and 90s.

It's 1977. Yoshiyuki Tomino is directing Zambot 3. It's a low budget anime, where multiple episodes featured 3~4 staff members only since they didn't have the budget to hire more.

Back to 1975, Tomino was a rising star of the industry. Tutored by Tezuka, mentored by Nagahama, and under the watchful eye of industry giant Toei and rising upstart Sunrise.

Then why was he downgraded in 1977? Why did he get such a low budget?

Because of X-Rounder. In 1976, an anime aired. It was a big budget one hour special, intended to be part of a 36 episode series. It featured a war between an Earth faction and a Space faction, both human, fighting out over control of the solar system. X-Rounders were psychics, capable of withstanding the stress of space combat, who were wielded by both sides in robots to fight.

The robots were all gray, they had no legs, and used special manipulators instead of hands.

Some of this seems familiar to most, as it features elements that ended up in Gundam, but there's more. The 36 episodes took place over the course of THREE GENERATIONS OF PILOTS.

IT BOMBED, ONLY ONE EPISODE AIRED, AND ALL WE'VE EVER SEEN OF IT WAS 20 MINUTES ON BADLY RECORDED TAPES.

THE REASON I'VE BEEN WATCHING AGE IS BECAUSE OF X-ROUNDER AND THERE IT IS, STARING ME IN THE FACE. X-ROUNDER, REBORN.

>FUCK YEAH, BANDAI.
Dendrobium Stamen

lordgoober wrote:If something from /m is to be believed, the X-Rounder thing is based off of Tomino's FIRST series which never got beyond a pilot apparently.

quoted from srwg-w which quoted it from /m
As someone said in the relevant /m/ thread, there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence of this. In fact, the only sources I can find for it are this /m/ thread, where the person who originally posted that summary of the original X-Rounder (I assume) says:
/m/ thread wrote:I don't have the tape. I saw it at an anime club way back when we used to import everything from a Malaysian on gigantic tapes to play on itty bitty screens.

Ask dorkly or Daimos, one of them should remember it as I recall talking to one of them about it when AGE was first announced.

Hell, anyone with any familarity with the 70s will know about it, as the original X-Rounder was a disaster that lost a lot of people their jobs.
In other words, "I can't prove it, BUT IT'S TOTALLY TRUE OKAY?!" :roll:

The other source is this blog post, which cites the /m/ thread as its source. Recursion times! It also, of course, goes on to describe this /m/-based rumour as utter horse manure, which should sum things up quite nicely.

So, take the "X-Rounder comes from a 70s Tomino series which failed so hard he had to make Gundam" shtick with a fairly sizeable dose of ignoring it as Internet Nonsense, I'd say :wink:
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.