The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
zerogradius

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

Spoiler
This episode was better than the last one, so its nice to see positive progression. Zeheart and Desil are seemingly brothers, which does not surprise me. Desil is too creepy to have any kids. He also seems to be a ridiculously jealous person, so I guesss he has not matured much. Zeheart vs Asem was the best fight in the series so far, and was really impressive. I wished it ended better, though. I don't understand why Zeheart could not have pulled Asem out of the cockpit and taken the Gundam instead of leaving it. I guess all those Vagan Dorado pilots who accompanied him died for nothing.

I was worried about Asem when he mentioned that stuff to Arisa about the pilots in the enemy MSs. I thought that was going to be the beginning of a possible transformation into Kira 'Holier Than Thou' Yamato. I was glad to see by the end he wanted to attain the power of an X-Rounder instead. I hope he stays on that path and does not stray to the other.

And I'm really disappointed that Arisa needed to be saved from death for the second straight ep. She's been a breath of fresh air so far and I really hope she is not killed off just for emotional impact like I suspect she will be.
Amion

Arisa's reply to Asemu about Dique being her dad was the best quote from AGE so far.

And I am really liking the return of Desil, he's acting a lot like Scirocco now. But why in the world is he so old looking? No 33 year-old I know of looks like him. Maybe he's just supposed to be the sickly, evil big brother type. But even so....I can't help thinking Nagato from Naruto Shippuuden when I look at him!
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Sinquser

Wellman wrote:I think this episode went out of its way to say she gets all that awesome from her mom. If anything I was worried with her comment about the family tradition makes more sense and describes that mama must wear the pants in the house of Dique.
If her mom is that lady with Dique in the OP, watch out for that wrench.
MarshalBraginsky

Also, when Zeheart wears his mask, he kinda looks like Rau Le Creuset, although the mask serves to harness his powers instead of making it a fashion statement.
Strike Zero

Episode 20 was without a doubt one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen in my life. It's like they took a checklist of Char tropes in hand and did their best to see how many of them they could squeeze into a single span of 22 minutes; by the time they got to the ULTIMATE-RIDER-GESPENST-CHAR-INAZUMA-KICK, it had already crossed over into a full-fledged parody. :lol:

Desil is back and just as smug as ever. The guy managed to get a chuckle out of me just about every time he was on screen.

Anybody else here notice how Milias is the Captain of the Diva, but not really, because Woolf undermines her authority at just about every turn by telling Asemu to ignore her reprimands and keeping her from reprimanding him further because SOMETIMES MEN NEED TO BE ALONE LOL. I dunno, it's just starting to weird me out a little.

Let's see, we have the superior female side-character (Arisa) developing a happy relationship (not yet romantic, but it might as well be only a few hairs away) with this generation's protagonist (Asemu) while his pre-desginated future wife (Romary) sits in the background not interacting him at all and doing absolutely nothing. Nope, we have not seen this sort of progression of events from any sort of Gundam television shows in recent history, no sir.[/sarcasm] Well, it doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to suppose how things are going to go from here and what will probably later happen to Arisa--

*Remembers what happened to Yurin*

...WAIT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
zerogradius

Strike Zero wrote:Episode 20 was without a doubt one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen in my life. It's like they took a checklist of Char tropes in hand and did their best to see how many of them they could squeeze into a single span of 22 minutes; by the time they got to the ULTIMATE-RIDER-GESPENST-CHAR-INAZUMA-KICK, it had already crossed over into a full-fledged parody. :lol:
It seems Unicorn started a bad trend. Also, Gundam Age is replicating so much stuff from UC Gundam, I would not be surprised if Flit starts talking to Yurin from beyond the grave.
Anybody else here notice how Milias is the Captain of the Diva, but not really, because Woolf undermines her authority at just about every turn by telling Asemu to ignore her reprimands and keeping her from reprimanding him further because SOMETIMES MEN NEED TO BE ALONE LOL. I dunno, it's just starting to weird me out a little.

Let's see, we have the superior female side-character (Arisa) developing a happy relationship (not yet romantic, but it might as well be only a few hairs away) with this generation's protagonist (Asemu) while his pre-desginated future wife (Romary) sits in the background not interacting him at all and doing absolutely nothing. Nope, we have not seen this sort of progression of events from any sort of Gundam television shows in recent history, no sir.[/sarcasm] Well, it doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to suppose how things are going to go from here and what will probably later happen to Arisa--

*Remembers what happened to Yurin*

...WAIT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
This arc of Age is really handling their female cast poorly. It might be the worst treatment they have ever had in all of Gundam. I really hope this changes, and that Arisa does not die, but I have doubts. The only thing that might save her is that she is Dique's only kid, and is the only one to represent his family in the next arc.
ShadowCell

unless Arisa's got some surprise sibling waiting in the offing, like Asemu's stealth sister
zetatype

DuelGundam2099 wrote:^Kira and Setsuna didn't and I don't think Shin got slapped for insubordination as much as it was being a jerk (and even then it was by the Athrun, not the captain). Garrod technically got punched so do with that what you will.
Athrun may not have been the captain, but I think he was Shin's superior so technically it counts.

Setsuna got punched/slapped by Lockon in S1 for stepping out of his cockpit in the middle of a fight and Lockon was the team leader

Depends on whether or not you think being the ship's captain is a requirement for the Bright Slap.
HellCat wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:^Kira and Setsuna didn't and I don't think Shin got slapped for insubordination as much as it was being a jerk (and even then it was by the Athrun, not the captain). Garrod technically got punched so do with that what you will.
Setsuna got slapped/punched in the face by both Lockons. Even Saji did it if I recall.
True, but if I recall the second Lockon wasn't the team leader and he didn't exactly punch Setsuna for being insubordinate. The punch from the first Lockon, though, is legit.

As for this episode of AGE, loved it. Loved all the Char references and what is IMO the best fight of the second generation. However, I do wish Millais brushed Wolf's advice aside and decked/slapped Asemu across the face if only so that we could have seen the first female Bright slap. At least I think it would have been the first. Correct me if I'm wrong

EDIT: please use the Edit button instead of double-posting.

~ShadowCell
Sume Gai

I'm pretty Sure Emma Slapped Camille and/or Katz at some point in Zeta for what it's worth/ Honestly I don't think Asemu deserves a corrective slap just yet, his loss this episode wasn't really because of stupidity. (yes he ignored Woolf's warnings but it seemed like there wasn't a lot of time to react to them before it was too late)

Though if Asemu stays mopey for the next episode or two and refuses to obey orders then it's military correction time!
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
ShadowCell

you guys are weirdly obsessed with seeing people get slapped

i mean i know it's a kink and all but jesus
Arbiter GUNDAM

Plus I don't think AGE will fail from a lack of Brightslapping. The thing has enough UC tropes already.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
mobiusdiablo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Plus I don't think AGE will fail from a lack of Brightslapping. The thing has enough UC tropes already.
Like someone earlier said, I swear they Gundam's TV Tropes page open when they were making this series, and this episode in general. At least it isn't like SEED though, where it outright copied the same plot pattern.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Arbiter GUNDAM

A little speculation:
Decil is absolutely chomping at the bit to get revenge but thinks Zehart's methods are too slow. So he arranges to have Emily and Unoa kidnapped and tells Flit that to get them back, he has to hand over the AGE System core. While a rescue is mounted, Decil goes to see Emily and Unoa to rub the proverbial salt into the wound. He tells them all about Yurin and speculates nastily that Emily was probably just second-best and that everything Flit is doing now is an elabroate scheme to get revenge for Yurin's death. And just to twist the knife a little, he tells Unoa she'd look much prettier with violet hair. Oh and tells them that Flit and Asemu will get to watch them die just like Yurin did.

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

Don't be silly, Desil would just kill them for sport.
Chris
Administrator

I don't see why people here are so hung up on this idea of loveless marriage/Emily is second best. So far, we haven't heard adult Flit even mention Yurin's name or have any thoughts about her. You all are focused so much on her and casting him as a Gendo that you forget he has PLENTY of reasons beyond her to hate the Vagans.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dwin

I agree with Chris. You all act as if the Vagans haven't killed Flit's entire family before Yurin. She was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

And yeah, stop with the whole female mistreatment crap. People are just grasping for straws with that.
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:A little speculation:
Decil is absolutely chomping at the bit to get revenge but thinks Zehart's methods are too slow. So he arranges to have Emily and Unoa kidnapped and tells Flit that to get them back, he has to hand over the AGE System core.
I can see it happening up to this point, but if Decil wanted to get at Flit more then he would outright kill Emily and Unoa in front of Flit once he had his hands on the AGE System core.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
SonicSP

Chris wrote:I don't see why people here are so hung up on this idea of loveless marriage/Emily is second best. So far, we haven't heard adult Flit even mention Yurin's name or have any thoughts about her. You all are focused so much on her and casting him as a Gendo that you forget he has PLENTY of reasons beyond her to hate the Vagans.
I'm probably bias but I guess I agree with that. Its easy to forget that he also lost his parents and Bruzar as well as two home colonies to them.

===================

Speaking of the AGE System core, I have a strange feeling that its actually the AGE Device, just that the Veigans have not narrowed it down to it and only narrowed it to be in a specific chest area (that also contains the cockpit).
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, I understand why they had to skip all the parts that lead up to their marriage, but it would have been nice. Personally, while I don't think they really are in a loveless relationship, I'm still not sure why they are at all beyond that the plot demands it. Mecha anime has never really been that good with romance, has it?

And looks like it's almost time to bring out the mk. IV

--Freyja Wion
nacho-wan

You know, when charhearth did the rider kick I kinda expected the asteroid to blow up into bits. That is seriously going to do lots of damage in SRW.

I am amaze at how powerful Zeahearth became. Its like his potential could only be realized in zero G because he didn't push it too far in his previous battles.

However he is too soft to be a real military leader. He sacrified at least half a dozen of his men and their equipment to have a crack at the Gundam only to walk away at the last second. So much for the battle that could have change the course of the war.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller