The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

reeoyuy wrote:This week on AGE:
Spoiler
-Diva transform into...something. Something familiar but not Macross 8)
-Ract tried to go down in blaze of glory like Boyage before Flit knock some sense into him.
-Madorna to the rescue, piloting custom red Shaldoll with super huge gun and army of Shaldoll
Gundam. It must've transformed into Gundam. Setsuna just had to unload in another universe.

EDIT: Eating my words. They totally cheated on that reference, hiding it in plain sight.
Last edited by latenlazy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
quasadra

Spoiler
havent watch the ep, but Diva must have transfrom into a Pegasus class from those words.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
reeoyuy

^Correct. Not just the look,
Spoiler
Yark Dole even call the ship "Trojan Horse"
DuelGundam2099

All this Earth-race talk is making me wonder if this series really will have aliens or not. That and if Titus doesn't get another fight scene in the next ep I'm probably going to be disappointed.
Raptor

Hmm. I wonder whose purple UE MS that is....

Although it may be obvious, I'm expecting a Zeta-Esque moment when you know who and Flit meet up next ep.

Also, Desil looks SO evil here.

Loved the MSG references, as well. And almost a Pineapple Salad, but not quite.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

You know...is anyone really enjoying AGE right now? Like, the last few episodes have been really good. Since episode 9 or 10, AGE is starting to hit its stride. Maybe I am not the best judge, since I love most Gundam, but I feel like AGE is starting to get really good.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Arbiter GUNDAM

Gundam AGE Episodes 10-12
Well here we go with AGE episodes 10-12. I really feel that AGE has finally hit a consistent stride here. No more of this malarkey with Zalam and Euba, except where it's relevant to the overall plot, and we can finally get to the business at hand which is the UE.
Episode 10 opens up with something of a sudden battle that wasn't even hinted at last episode. There's lots of good stuff here including the first large-scale battle of the series and Don Boyage and his extremely annoying sidekicks biting the dust. It's not that I don't like Boyage but he got the Oliver Inoue death from Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, where he crashes into a ship and his supposedly heroic sacrifice does nothing, except demonstrate that the UE dreadnought is pretty tough. Flit also gets the Sparrow upgrade (trust me, the Japanese are trying to say Sparrow, they're just doing it wrong, like "Shalon Apple.") but it's no where near as impressive as the Titus in my opinion. Ok, so it goes fast and can use it's green crystal blade that it borrowed from the 00Qan[T] to slice, dice and make julienne fries. Big deal, we've had Gundams like that before. I sadly think that this means that the Titus is going to end up with the crown of Most Awesomely Short-Lived and Useless Gundam Upgrade Ever.
On the character front, Ensign Adams/Ensign Zinger finally comes to terms with the fact that the Feddies aren't going to lift a bloody finger to help out the Diva. Good in a way but I would've liked more of a confrontation, perhaps when the Diva was gearing up for the Ambat invasion.

Moving on to episode 11, we finally get to see Yurin again and find out she's been adopted by some guy name Alzeck Birmings, who looks like Sunrise borrowed him from the next pirates of the Caribbean movie. She and Flit get to spend a lot of time together while Emily, the supposed future mother of Flit's son Asem, is working on the Diva. This trips all sorts of death flags for Yurin. The poor girl is unfortunately doomed it seems.
Speaking of Emily, she seems to have gotten over her Fraw Bow-itis and is taking charge of things, like getting that Madorna guy to come and upgrade the Diva with something called a Photon Blaster Cannon or in other words an RRBFG (Really, Really Big Fracking Gun). One last interesting thing in this episode is a Federation Inspector who comes to find Grodek and arrest him. Almost manages it too if not for that pesky kid and his Gundam. But he's not done yet because...

In episode 12 he shows up with a fleet! He tries to outmaneuver Grodek but DAT BEARD is just a little too good at playing The Game for Mr. Chocolate Bar. Also the UE pick a convenient, not-at-all-timed-by-the-plot chance to pull off another attack. Grodek and the Diva crew show that we're all just bros in the end by coming to the Feddies rescue which convinces Mr. Chocolate Bar to let them go. At least there's one other honorable officer in the Federation Forces besides Grodek and the late, lamented Cmd. Bruzar.
Ah, but the happiness is spoiled by the arrival of Desil and his Sith Lord Guardians, including Yark Dole (dumbest name ever). It seems that young Desil might be something of a bloodhound for these EDEN/UE guys, because they've come for Yurin and threaten her to come with them... or else. You see, it seems that Flit and Yurin and possibly Desil are something called X-Rounders which seem to be this series' version of Newtypes. Now personally, they couldn't have picked a worse name for these guys. X-Rounders? Seriously? What is this, a new X-Men comic book? Look, if anyone from Sunrise happens to be reading this, just because this show is aimed at an audience younger than normal Gundam fare, doesn't mean you have to shoot yourself in the foot. Just 'cause you've already used up Newtype, Coordinator, Extended and Innovator, doesn't mean there aren't other cool names you could have used.

Now that we're at this point in the series, things are wrapping up. Episode 13, which I'll be posting right after this, just broadcasted and the final battle of this arc has begun. I could definitely see it lasting another two episodes and then using 16 as a wrap-up to the first arc. As to what will happen after that... who knows. Scans of the characters and mechs from the second arc have already been released and it looks like at least a few characters are making it through. Who will live and who will die? Will we see the tears of time? Find out on the next exciting episode!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

I might like this series (or at least Flit's arc) more if it did feel like it HAD to borrow elements from the original MSG and ZZ. At least with SEED and Destiny not only did they borrow stuff from every previous timeline, but they were able to bring some new ideas to the table and story wise they were both considerably different from previous gundam shows. AGE on the other hand, well, I don't want to use something harsh like "rehash", but it does feel like a repeat of the original Gundam going through ZZ's storyline and some few elements from X thrown in with the UE and Age System being the only new things brought to the table.

BTW anyone else notice how Zalam space suits look like Zaku 1s? :P
Raptor

DuelGundam2099 wrote: BTW anyone else notice how Zalam space suits look like Zaku 1s? :P
Immediately. Lol.

Really like this episode though. Build-up for the end of the first gen. Can't wait to see who lives and dies, although personally, I'm guessing Largan and Yurin, maybe Grudeck. Also, waiting to see the inevitable death of my precious Almeda.

Really dig Largan's last name, btw. He needs to have some kind of relation for the next part, because Drace is an awesome surname.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
2NA Fish

Wow they're really teasing us with Largan now. The extra character development, and there was a moment this week where I thought for sure this was going to be it. You really get the feeling he could be gone at any moment(especially after what happened in the manga). Next G Gen/SRW he's in, gonna level up Largan like crazy and smash through the whole game with him.

Also, the BGM is finally starting to grow on me. I was pretty meh about the soundtrack for AGE for a long time, but with the increasing dramatic tension, the music has found its mark. Perhaps because this time, I really like most of the cast. We also got some really nice quotable dialogue this episode.

And my favourite geek out moment from this episode
Spoiler
OMG did he just say Mokuba?!!
nacho-wan

This episode had me at the edge of me seat most of the time! Quite dramatic. It seems that the final battle is going to continue for one or two extra episodes since gen 2 starts at 16 supposedly.

The series is finally getting some pacing, but it still lacks the dramatic overtones of 00 or even Seed.
Spoiler
As for the assault landing form, I spend the entire transformation thinking: not a mecha, not a mecha. THIS IS NOT MACROSS! Lol the Age device answer to make the ship combat worthy was to turn it into a Trojan Horse. With the big gun it will come handy in SRW, albeit the range is very limited.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Raptor

Spoiler
With the damage the Assault Form of the Diva seems to be able to do, I'll take a 5-6 square range over a 10-15 as is the norm.
I'm just looking forward to putting Largan Drace(!!) in the G-Exes, SRW wise.

Speaking of which, Titus is most likely going to rule in SRW.

Back to the Anime, though, I'm looking forward to some CQC.

-Raptor, out.
Deacon Blues

Gundam Age still isn't doing much for me, even after the first arc is drawing to a close. While it's somewhat of a foundation for the series, there's still a lot of crap going on that doesn't make much sense. I am curious about this sidestory project that's supposed to be 'darker' though.

Hilarious note though... the Diva transforming into a Pegasus is just dumb. Overt not to the original series, yes but come on... 2 weeks to fabricate and entire ship like that? Get real.
nacho-wan

Age has gotten a lot of references to older shows. I can't understand if they are tributes (Pegasus-class Diva) or mockery (the colony guy's spacesuits).
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
pd771

It's a tribute not only to the old things (like the ship design) but also to the feeling of the old mecha shows. This reminds me a lot of some of the old mecha shows I used to like. Not everything needs to be darker and edgier...

There's a reason that Vargas looks like he stepped of Astro Boy... this arc is supposed to remind ous of the robot shows of Yesteryear... fanboys have gotten too rabid in my opinion to accept something as fun as a tribute to the good old days.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
NastyNate

Episode 13 was such a great episode. I loved how the Diva transformed into the torjan horse. Reminded me a lot of Macross. A couple of romantic build ups in this episode too. The scene when flit tapped his x rounder was some of the best mech combat choreography I have seen in a while. Now where those green suits the Mechanic guys squad?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
ZeonsSilverStar

I can truly say that this has been the first episode I've enjoyed completely since the introduction of the G-Exes. I got a few chuckles when Yark Dole called the Diva a trojan horse but the Spallow charging in and taking out the Baptos and Gafrans. On a quick sidenote I didn't know the Spallow had any ranged weapons. Also I noticed quite a few death flags went up this episode, hope I'm wrong about one of them.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
zerogradius

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I might like this series (or at least Flit's arc) more if it did feel like it HAD to borrow elements from the original MSG and ZZ. At least with SEED and Destiny not only did they borrow stuff from every previous timeline, but they were able to bring some new ideas to the table and story wise they were both considerably different from previous gundam shows. AGE on the other hand, well, I don't want to use something harsh like "rehash", but it does feel like a repeat of the original Gundam going through ZZ's storyline and some few elements from X thrown in with the UE and Age System being the only new things brought to the table.

I have to disagree. Gundam Age does rrow elements from other Gundam series, but is nowhere near a rehash. The first quarter of Gundam Seed, which literally copied events from MSG, is a lot closer to being a rehah than Seed. Age has enough originality to distinguish it from UC Gundam, for example:

1. a rouge captain who uses deception to gain control of the main ship and fights for personal reasons
2. a kid pilot who literally created his Gundam and did not acquire it by being an accidental pilot or by a Gundamjack
3. an enemy that is literally unknown by all except for Grodeck who seems to have figured out who they are
4. the main cast is not fighting as part of the Federation or militia group but are doing so of their own accord to bring an end to the fighting
5. the generational plot that sees Flit, his son and his grandson fighting a war over decades instead of a couple months like in most Gundam series.

I think that much gives Age its own identity despite what elements it borrows.

And on a side note. I think that Largan and Yurin are guaranteed to die. The only thing that could save her would be that we don't yet know too much about her past, but that did not save Lalah so we'll have to wait and see. I also suspect Adams and some of the Diva will die, including Grodeck himself. Depending on how the battle goes, I wonder if the Federation will arrest the survivors or if they will allow them to return to their ranks.
zerogradius

zerogradius wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:I might like this series (or at least Flit's arc) more if it did feel like it HAD to borrow elements from the original MSG and ZZ. At least with SEED and Destiny not only did they borrow stuff from every previous timeline, but they were able to bring some new ideas to the table and story wise they were both considerably different from previous gundam shows. AGE on the other hand, well, I don't want to use something harsh like "rehash", but it does feel like a repeat of the original Gundam going through ZZ's storyline and some few elements from X thrown in with the UE and Age System being the only new things brought to the table.

I have to disagree. Gundam Age does rrow elements from other Gundam series, but is nowhere near a rehash. The first quarter of Gundam Seed, which literally copied events from MSG, is a lot closer to being a rehah than Seed. Age has enough originality to distinguish it from UC Gundam, for example:

1. a rouge captain who uses deception to gain control of the main ship and fights for personal reasons
2. a kid pilot who literally created his Gundam and did not acquire it by being an accidental pilot or by a Gundamjack
3. an enemy that is literally unknown by all except for Grodeck who seems to have figured out who they are
4. the main cast is not fighting as part of the Federation or militia group but are doing so of their own accord to bring an end to the fighting
5. the generational plot that sees Flit, his son and his grandson fighting a war over decades instead of a couple months like in most Gundam series.

I think that much gives Age its own identity despite what elements it borrows.

And on a side note, I think that Largan and Yurin are guaranteed to die. The only thing that could save her would be that we don't yet know too much about her past, but that did not save Lalah or Four so we'll have to wait and see. I also suspect Adams and some of the Diva crew will die, including Grodeck himself. Depending on how the battle goes, I wonder if the Federation will arrest the survivors or if they will allow them to return to their ranks.
DuelGundam2099

The first quarter of Gundam Seed, which literally copied events from MSG, is a lot closer to being a rehah than Seed.
SEED wasn't a complete rehash, it was similar but at the same time had plenty of new material to make itself stand out. AGE........ Eh.
If I remember correctly didn't Camille do the blue prints of the Zeta? What about the pilots from Wing? If the flashbacks in EW were any indication they had some involvement with their gundams being created (hell, Quatre built the Wing Zero).
The AEUG, the Earth Militia, Domon, the Wing pilots, the Vultures, and the Archangel crew after the third quarter of SEED don't ring a bell?