The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
VandalRevenge

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

reeoyuy wrote:Anybody noticed how Woolf called Vagan as "aliens" (iseijin)? Considering how shocked he was when he found out UE's true identity, maybe he is in denial or something.
Or maybe Flit helped convince him that while they look human, their minds are so different they may as well be alien. That's one thing I do like in AGE is that while the UE have been proven to be human, it appears that people still demonize them as alien monsters.

I would love to see some WWII-style propaganda about fighting "The Manbeasts from Mars!"
teslashark

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
teslashark wrote:http://jan.2chan.net/zip/2/src/1329049919803.jpg
Do stare... Ey.
teslashark...... you're a boss.
:Facepalm
Just sharing stuff, which, guys picked up on other sites... Maybe this pic is official release.
VandalRevenge wrote:
reeoyuy wrote:Anybody noticed how Woolf called Vagan as "aliens" (iseijin)? Considering how shocked he was when he found out UE's true identity, maybe he is in denial or something.
Or maybe Flit helped convince him that while they look human, their minds are so different they may as well be alien. That's one thing I do like in AGE is that while the UE have been proven to be human, it appears that people still demonize them as alien monsters.

I would love to see some WWII-style propaganda about fighting "The Manbeasts from Mars!"
I think Woolf is just going along with the mainstream view. Also, the Vagan viewed themselves superior to colony residents and earthlings.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
HellCat

Whilst I agree it would have been nice to see some of the school life things naturally play out, I think the show would risk criticism of being seen as a 'slice of life' show if it put too much time into it. It is nice to see a protagonist who gets more explanation then opening the front door to go collect his mail only to find his home being mortared, but these last 3 episodes have all basically been pretty samey right down to the battles at the end. At it's best AGE can have a really engaging story but I think collectively this little arc has been dissapointing. I'm just hoping that it does create a foundation for better things to come.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
latenlazy

Woolf probably wasn't entirely serious when he called the Vagan's aliens.
NastyNate

They can still be alliens I guess and not extra terrestrial alliens. They are from a foreign planet and they are invading. I am interested now that they have built a relationship with asemu and the Vagan kid will they make the show a tackle racism show like Valkyrie chronicles did.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
ShadowCell

speaking of which, now that the story seems to be leaving Tordia, i hope it means we see more of Flit. Gundam doesn't often show us the Gundam boys after their stories are over, so we rarely get to see how being the Gundam boy has affected that character in adulthood. Amuro and i suppose technically Jamil are the only ones i can think of, at least from the animation, and Jamil is a weirdly unique case because when he was the Gundam boy he kind of accidentally the whole world. so AGE could break some interesting new ground there.

that and he has a bitchin' mustache.
mal_tiempo

Just a quick remark on the "lack of development" for the friendship between Asemu, Zeheart and Romary: Someone else noted this on another board, but the ending kind of gives us that little bit of backstory on the amount of time we missed. Some of the shots in the mobile suit club's hangar even look like they were taken on the same day as the ending. I dunno, I'm okay with it. Also, Asemu stating that there was "Something even he can do," may have been what influenced Romary to forego sitting around at home wasting time and follow him into the military.
If you lower the bar enough, Stephen Hawking can jump hurdles.
SonicSP

ShadowCell wrote:speaking of which, now that the story seems to be leaving Tordia, i hope it means we see more of Flit. Gundam doesn't often show us the Gundam boys after their stories are over, so we rarely get to see how being the Gundam boy has affected that character in adulthood. Amuro and i suppose technically Jamil are the only ones i can think of, at least from the animation, and Jamil is a weirdly unique case because when he was the Gundam boy he kind of accidentally the whole world. so AGE could break some interesting new ground there.

that and he has a bitchin' mustache.
Yeah, I agree. They're headed to the Big Ring too so he should make some appearences. I may not be a big fan of young Flit but adult Flit is badass. That scene with him in a suit, with sunglasses in a roofless car outside Asem's school still have not left my mind. He doesn't have to pilot anything but it would be nice for him to be seen time to time doing...........whatever he's supposed to be doing. How his relationship with Asem will play out is interesting as well.

And yes, also because he has a frickin mustache.
NastyNate

I think the coolest thing to end the series as a whole is to get grandpa flit to deliver the final blow in retro age.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

reeoyuy

Masked Zeheart is nothing new, but hey look who's back!

If he really going to pilot Khronos, I wonder why he switched into ranged MS considering he piloted melee-oriented Zedas before. Maybe getting sliced by Spallow is traumatizing him.
Strike Zero

So, I just got off watching episode 18, and I felt that it was most definitely the best episode of the 2nd generation so far. Episode 17 had me a little worried that this generation might turn out to be more medoicre than the first, but this episode did a lot to dissuade those concerns. The battle between Asemu and Zeheart was exciting, and the graduation scene was executed very well.

The one thing that did irk me was that there has seemingly been several months of time of Asemu, Romary and Zeheart's school year that we've just skipped over entirely, but I do understand the need to get things moving along and roll the AGE-2 out into the spotlight (we freaking FINALLY get to see it in action next week).
ShadowCell wrote:Romary is still in getting me in "you dumb bitch DO SOMETHING" mode
This reaction honestly has me a little baffled. What do you propose she do, exactly? Would you have her don a pair of goggles and drive into the middle of the deadly battle between the Federation and the Vagan on a stolen motor bike closely weaving her way through a cacophony of stray blasts of beam fire as they ravage the hills around her before spearheading fearlessly into the midst of Zehart and Asemu's epic duel in a brave, yet senseless attempt to cease the tragic conflict between two friends that has developed due to their wildly differing origins of birth? (All while selected music from Nightwish is played in the background, of course. :))

The way I see it, her character is still in the process of being built up. Maybe you're seeing some void in the plot that she could be filling that I'm not, but I'd personally say that she's doing fine for now.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
NastyNate

Yeah I like Romary too. She is a lot like Emily.

ShadowCell

what i propose she do is something a little less pathetically stereotypical as fall onto the ground in utter and complete helplessness but then get all moe-embarrassed and protesty when the Gundam boy picks her up and carries her off

i mean, i know the writers are sexist tools who are just reinforcing the ideal Japanese woman as more of an accessory than a human being, but can't they at least pretend that this one is in fact supposed to be a human being and not just an accessory?

i'm willing to give AGE a chance in a lot of respects, and in many of those respects i think it's paid off. but going against the grain of Japanese sexism is not one of them. i suppose i shouldn't have expected them to do so, but then again, if other anime shows can get away with it, i don't see why AGE can't. maybe joining the military, as she evidently seems to do next episode, will give her at the very least a friggin' job on the ship. even a character as generally unimportant as Feldt at least had that. then again, that's what i thought about Emily.

and, hell, even then, at least Emily wasn't initially Helpless Pretty Girl Mk Whatever. they can do better than this. they have done better than this. but three episodes into a quickly-moving story, you'd think they would have seen fit to give Romary a personality by now.

hopefully finding out Zeheart's identity will prompt something to happen with her, whether it impacts the plot or not.
Strike Zero

I don't feel that there's anything all that wrong with a girl having a shy, gentle personality. But yeah, how pathetic of her to be traumatized after having a gun pointed directly into her face. Or experiencing a situation akin to somebody in our world finding out that one of their closest friends was in league a Muslim terrorist cell. Some people can handle trauma to that degree, others can't. Romary happens to fall into the latter category.

Call me an optimist, but as you yourself said, it's only been three episodes into the new story. Even if Romary hasn't been too strong in the characterization department, it just means that she has a lot of room to grow, which I for one am looking forward to.

Of course, if the show fails to take her in any significant direction from this point on, then we may have cause to be disappointed, but for now there really hasn't been anything I've seen that demands we get all bent out of shape over.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
SonicSP

In the subject matter, I think we should be expecting more from Arisa and Millais than than Romary, who hold important positions in the Diva. Romary just seems to be that type of girl, whether that changes or not remains to be seen. I'm personally fine with it at the moment. She did join the military, for reasons we don't know why but likely to follow Asem/find Zehart so that's something.
ShadowCell

i think i'm perfectly justified in expecting something out of Romary, seeing as how she's so relevant to the main character of this arc and his apparent rival, and yet so far all we've got from her is the standard issue Anime Nice Girl, like our old pal Marie. and since they've moved so quickly with other characters, like Asem and Zeheart, it's a rather glaring omission.

on the other hand, they might wind up deconstructing that whole trope now that they're putting her in a new world. i'm not expecting that, given both this show's track record and anime in general, but it would be pretty awesome if they did.
NastyNate

Strike Zero wrote:I don't feel that there's anything all that wrong with a girl having a shy, gentle personality. But yeah, how pathetic of her to be traumatized after having a gun pointed directly into her face. Or experiencing a situation akin to somebody in our world finding out that one of their closest friends was in league a Muslim terrorist cell. Some people can handle trauma to that degree, others can't. Romary happens to fall into the latter category.

Call me an optimist, but as you yourself said, it's only been three episodes into the new story. Even if Romary hasn't been too strong in the characterization department, it just means that she has a lot of room to grow, which I for one am looking forward to.

Of course, if the show fails to take her in any significant direction from this point on, then we may have cause to be disappointed, but for now there really hasn't been anything I've seen that demands we get all bent out of shape over.
I like her being shy. It is cute. I also liked emily and tiffa from x who where both shy. Feels like there is either supper out going or super shy girls in anime. Not many in betweens.

nacho-wan

You know, I thought episode 18 was great until I checked all of this weeks comment in the thread.
I really liked the Zeaheart reveal. I thought they would save that to the last episode of the arc. This movement would put more tension on the series and the characters. Perhaps it will bring some novelty to the franchise given that two of the main characters have radically different positions on the alien threat.

As for the Adele, remember we need cannon fodder in order to get more awesome main mecha. Regarding the G Bouncer, it was a lame debut considering it was the white wolf's machine. How come he didn't gave chase to the Zedas. Sure it would have been more dangerous to the colony than shooting a beam rifle in a contained enviroment?!

For the sexism argument, I feel that somepeople here in this forum are even more sexist that the writers. Somebody refered to Romary as Asumo's sperm dumping ground? How can you top that IMO
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
ShadowCell

nacho-wan wrote:For the sexism argument, I feel that somepeople here in this forum are even more sexist that the writers. Somebody refered to Romary as Asumo's sperm dumping ground? How can you top that IMO
where was that?
NastyNate

nacho-wan wrote:You know, I thought episode 18 was great until I checked all of this weeks comment in the thread.
I really liked the Zeaheart reveal. I thought they would save that to the last episode of the arc. This movement would put more tension on the series and the characters. Perhaps it will bring some novelty to the franchise given that two of the main characters have radically different positions on the alien threat.

As for the Adele, remember we need cannon fodder in order to get more awesome main mecha. Regarding the G Bouncer, it was a lame debut considering it was the white wolf's machine. How come he didn't gave chase to the Zedas. Sure it would have been more dangerous to the colony than shooting a beam rifle in a contained enviroment?!

For the sexism argument, I feel that somepeople here in this forum are even more sexist that the writers. Somebody refered to Romary as Asumo's sperm dumping ground? How can you top that IMO
You actually bring up a point not addressed by the show: the dangers of fighting in a colony. They must make these things real thick in season 2. They have had full mobile suits blowing up and no colony breaches yet.