Would you like to see Gundam 00p animated?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Powerman293

Would you like to see Gundam 00p animated?

For those who don't know 00p was a photonovel series that told the story of the development of the 2nd and 3rd gen Gundams before the show starts. it focuses mainly on the development of the second gen Gundams, Innovades sabotaging Celestial Being and the recruitment of the Gundam Meisters.

I've been reading up on the summary for the story of the 00 prequel and I think a lot of it is good material. I'm a big fan of Gundam the Origin and seeing how all of the pieces fall into place for MSG is a treat to read, and now watch animated. Therefore, I'd love to watch how the pieces for season 1 of 00 fall into place, as it is my favorite series and I love that Universe to death. I'd be down with an OVA series that focuses on different parts and perspectives of the events prior to 00 the series.

But my question is, would you guys like to see a story like that animated? Is it even likely to happen?
Erisie

Re: Would you like to see Gundam 00p animated?

No, for a very important reason that all the 00 sidestories seem to overlook.

The most important event(s) previous to Celestial Being's reveal were the Solar Wars. This series of conflicts are the genesis of everything about 00's setting: mobile suits as commonplace weapons, the three global powers, the elevators' construction, the Middle East losing its standing in the world after running out of hydrocarbons, the war between Krugis and Azadistan (which transformed Soran into Setsuna)...

Instead of exploring all of this, Tomohiro Chiba (a familiar name to the franchise's sidestories) focuses instead in the damn Gundams. All of the sidestories focus on some secret branch of Celestial Being doing field tests on the GN Drive-powered MS, with all the other elements of the setting relegated to the background.

If there is a background, why doesn't Chiba take advantage of it, rather than making up and adding his stuff into the setting? The same happened with Astray, which might be good on its own, but it's too different and contrasting with the rest of the Cosmic Era.
SonicSP

As much I enjoyed 00P and reading the background mecha info on the prototype Gundams (00P's mechanical info have really been fun to read), probably not. Even most of the good stuff comes from the info revealed in profiles and narratives than say, the actual plot.

Having said that, reorganize some of the Innovade and Celestial Being chapters and change some of the circumstances and we may have something interesting for an animation here.
HellCat

The 00 sidestories are pretty lousy. Some solid mecha designs but the stories and characters seem more concerned with crapping on/ripping off the main narrative rather than supporting it.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
AmuroNT1

Funnily enough, the people I know who like Fon Spaak like him precisely BECAUSE he craps all over the main narrative of 00.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Calubin_175

Sadly, that is the nature of most Side Stories where they focus on little groups of people who don't have much influence over the major conflict. This is also the merit of side stories in that we could explore perspectives without the giant expectation of the characters playing a major part in the war.
HellCat

AmuroNT1 wrote:Funnily enough, the people I know who like Fon Spaak like him precisely BECAUSE he craps all over the main narrative of 00.
Fon is arguably the closest Gundam has to a Mary Sue. He knows stuff just because, can take on state of the art enemies in old MS and his former colleagues bend over backwards for him just because.

Fon could have worked as an alternative to the TV Meisters, but not how he was actually used.
Kuruni

HellCat wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:Funnily enough, the people I know who like Fon Spaak like him precisely BECAUSE he craps all over the main narrative of 00.
Fon is arguably the closest Gundam has to a Mary Sue. He knows stuff just because, can take on state of the art enemies in old MS and his former colleagues bend over backwards for him just because.

Fon could have worked as an alternative to the TV Meisters, but not how he was actually used.
Pray that you never read EXA. In first volume, EXA!Fon manage to become aware of Leos come from alternate universe, by himself.
Spoiler
Then in fifth, he mangae to hack into General Answer itself, turn him into rogue program that can travel between worlds just like G-Diver. But I actually like hime more...because it also come with shiptease between him and Hanayo :mrgreen: He pat her head, just because it can't be done before, then come back to pick her up from World of AD and ask her to travel together.
My girlfriend was a loli.
SonicSP

HellCat wrote:The 00 sidestories are pretty lousy. Some solid mecha designs but the stories and characters seem more concerned with crapping on/ripping off the main narrative rather than supporting it.
No disagreements with story and characters, but I really really get off reading the mecha profiles we've gotten over the years. Or more accurately , what E08 mostly gave us after he showed up.

I think 00N's pretty good though, if only because they actually elaborated background info on 00 than have its own stuff. 00V Senki probably is for the same reasons albeit, with some focus on the existing side story characters.
AmuroNT1

I was actually going to mention what Kuruni said re: Fon and Gundam EXA as part of the reason I can't stand him. Not the least of which is his voice...while I have nothing personal against Nobuhiko Okamoto, that annoying high-pitched screeching he does in G Gen Overworld makes me want to drive nails into my eardrums.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Kuruni

It's Ex's fault. In this case, he mock Fon that despite his potential, Fon never leave much impact in AD world (well, he's sidestory character, and unlike Lowe, the plothole he fill, retrieving Kyrios's GN drive, isn't much of plothole to start). So killing him won't cause world breakdown event in General Answer.
Spoiler
That inspire Fon to actually does something big, bigger than AD world.
When something went wrong in EXA, it's usually Ex's fault :mrgreen: .

I really mean it, fact that it sound like repeating old DCD meme is purely coincidence :D .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Powerman293

For me, I'd like for it to be an OVA series, the first half being based on season 1 of 00P, focusing on the development of the 2nd gens Gundam, the solar power wars, and Feldt's parents. The second half would be season 2, focusing more on the recruitment of the 3rd gen Meisters and the Innovades breaking off from CB. And giving the Innovades from season 2 who were pointless, a purpose in the plot.

And for the love of god if they adapt season 2, don't put the BS secret 3rd gen Gundams like the Raisel and XN raiser and stuff in there. Just use the Gen 2 Gundams and do a repair version on them if Bandai has to sell more gunpla.

I think it could work if they changed the story a fair bit and they keep all of the dumb stuff that contradicts the main 00 universe out of it.
YokozunaBulldozer

Maybe an OVA if Mizushima and Kuroda have time on their hands.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Powerman293

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Maybe an OVA if Mizushima and Kuroda have time on their hands.
I could see that. Maybe if they have any time during whatever Build Fighters season comes out around the 10th anniversary of 00 they could do the first half of 00p as an hour to an hour and a half ong OVA. Or maybe just make it a full on movie lol.
SonicSP

I honestly wish they'd just make something new instead of adapting any of the side stories. I liked 00P mostly because of the mechanical descriptions they gave to developing the 3rd Gen Gundams. The normal
plot of the side story was pretty so-so.

I will say this though, the idea that there's a splinter organizarion helping Celestial Being doing interventions in Season 1 is pretty cool. 00F was alright but I think if executed another way it could be very cool since we're all away of its flaws. From an anime perspective, it would also help seal more on what the fifth GN Drive was doing, something that the Season 1 only casually mentioned once of its existence before it playing a huge role in Season 2. The idea that someone else was doing interventions - but on a more low key basis - is actually pretty cool.

It would also give them more leeway to focus on what many consider to be the better part of the series, which was Season 1's interventions. Some of the things elaborated in 00F, like how Fereshte help secure resources that helped Celestial Being in Season 2.

So yes, I can't believe I'm saying this but I rather they animate 00F - but change it to make it less......well Fon-ish I guess. The depiction and execution may not be best in the manga but I think the basic concept of that story is.
Powerman293

I presumed the 5th GN drive in season 1 would have been used as a backup in case one got destroyed. But in season 2 Celestial Being evaluated the risk vs reward of putting another GN drive out there and decided to put it on the 00.
HellCat

It's a bit confusing because as I recall, the season one novels state Tieria knows about Fon using the 0 Gundam drive and the author clarifies that all the bits of backstory were run past Mizushima, Kuroda and Chiba and thus can be taken as things unsaid in the show but canon to it.

There's also the fact that CB treat the 0 Gundam as a figure of great respect, so I could see them stowing the drive out of respect. I believe the guidebooks have also clarified that 5 drives were needed for the Celestial Being vessel itself. Once peace came they would be repurposed as one in each prong and a Twin Drive in the centre.
SonicSP

I guess I was referring to more on the strictly "animation-only" canon level of the show I guess. The thing that is recognized no matter what the director or production staff thinks. I just thought this was a way to expand on the 5th GN Drive in S1 from an animation standpoint.

From a planning standpoint, there's definitely good reasons to seperate one Drive from the rest. It would be their only remaining Drive if let's say, the Thrones never interfered in desert battles.