Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

Wow...a lot of negativity (or disappointment) and only after a few episodes. Is it like this for every gundam series? And I thought AGE was special :) Personally I have noticed quite a bit of differences. But one that wasn't mentioned before was that after Olor's suit disabled the Earth Alliance ship and it crashed into the colony...Mu defeating him was purely new.

Seriously watch that clip and you will see Mu kicking Olor's ass in HD, new animation, awesomeness.

Not many big changes true, but this is basically what I expected. They are remastering seed folks, not redoing it. But hey, we will see where this goes? We haven't really got into any of the stock footage heavy episodes yet, so who knows? I am keeping my fingers crossed, mind open, and eyes glued to the screen.

But it seems like people are focusing more on what they didn't change to what they did.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Chris
Administrator

I'm not watching SEED HD and thus have no interest in what is changed or isn't changed. My problem is cropping it to make it in fake widescreen. It's not true to the original and is cutting out footage, made even worse by the ridiculous price for the Blu-ray sets.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

AmuroNT1 wrote:The one that really gets me is a screencap that was posted to /m/ comparing a simple scene of Kira talking. Looking at them side-by-side, I honestly prefer the older one; it looks just fine without needing to be remastered, but on top of that the character design was changed to the later look, meaning that whatever distinct traits Kira had at first were removed and replaced with the same rounded generic Hisashi Hirai face that's become such a meme with anime fans. I guess it just goes to show that new isn't automatically improved.
They've been doing that since the SE's. Compare the 'Don't act friendly with me!' canteen scene between TV and the SE. The TV version might be slightly rough and off model but there's actually clear emotion on the character's faces, not 'Our eyes look like a stained glass church window!'.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
HellCat

I'm surprised they didn't redo the 'Kira Yamato to the bridge!' moment of Miriallia in episode 4. I mean, that bug eyed scene is clearly awkward.
teslashark

Chris wrote:I'm not watching SEED HD and thus have no interest in what is changed or isn't changed. My problem is cropping it to make it in fake widescreen. It's not true to the original and is cutting out footage, made even worse by the ridiculous price for the Blu-ray sets.
May I suggest you... BitTorrent :?: :mrgreen:
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Amadi Akintunde

teslashark wrote:
Chris wrote:I'm not watching SEED HD and thus have no interest in what is changed or isn't changed. My problem is cropping it to make it in fake widescreen. It's not true to the original and is cutting out footage, made even worse by the ridiculous price for the Blu-ray sets.
May I suggest you... BitTorrent :?: :mrgreen:
YOU FOOL

Rescind your comment, now! Before it's too late!
Calubin_175

By the way, could anyone help me identify where the animation error with the Strike wielding two rifles came from?
HellCat

Episode 5....why did the various counts of off model animation not get touched up? This is one episode that really would have benefited. I guess it's more important to redo shots of Murrue.
Dark Duel

Oh WOW. I stopped watching this after episode 2.
Maybe I should get caught up, I guess :D.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
HellCat

I have to admit that in watching this the redone scenes are barely registering with me. It's been a good 7 years since I last watched SEED so I don't really have a great reference to work from.

That said, I am enjoying the story. Most of us tend to give CE alot of flack but these early episodes are holding up well. A good example- in episode 6, I like the scene where Murrue plays along with Mu's gambit to get out of the room whilst Natarle stares at them dumbfounded. It's a nice subtle moment that shows the relationship between these 3 characters which obviously goes further later.
farjad93

I honestly don't get a lot of the hate the CE universe gets. Sure, Gundam Seed Destiny had plenty of problems with the teenage drama and all. But the original series (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) is definitely one of my favorite Gundam series of all time. I feel it introduced many interesting concepts (Coordinators, for example) that hadn't been done before in a Gundam series. Also, I liked the characters in it and thought it told an excellent story. Also, the deaths, I felt, were also handled pretty well.
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Strike Zero

I think you'll find that a lot of people will agree with you in that they don't really have that big of an issue with SEED and dislike only DESTINY. That's not to say SEED didn't have it's share of problems but, depending on who you ask, they're not nearly as grating or numerous as DESTINY's.

Then of course, you'll also find people that hate all of the CE-verse on principle simply because it's "NOT YOO-SEE" or for other equally inane reasons. It's the internet, it comes with the territory.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
farjad93

Yeah, I suppose you're right, haha. I like this forum site because the rules seem to actually be enforced and so any discussions remain intelligent and civil :D
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
HellCat

I think Strike Zero sums it up. I remember when SEED originally ended I was hopeful for a sequel but was incredibly dissapointed with what we got in Destiny. SEED isn't my absolute favourite but it's a good story and has some memorable characters. I certainly imagine other shows would have just shoved Yzak into a corner, whilst SEED gives him the great route of starting out as the hot blooded rival who over time mellows and matures into a credit to his side. The problem is that the badly handled character arcs, plotholes and boring battles of the sequel left a bad taste in people's mouth. Doesn't help that spin offs like Dynasty Warriors only acknowledge the Destiny part of CE.
Strike Zero

Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Arbiter GUNDAM

farjad93 wrote:Yeah, I suppose you're right, haha. I like this forum site because the rules seem to actually be enforced and so any discussions remain intelligent and civil :D
That's because the mod's banhammers are made out of Gundanium. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

Strike Zero wrote:http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... 486806.jpg

Well, that's cool.
Maximum Gundam Power - All Striker Comnine! Obviously, its name must be Perfect Striker. :mrgreen:

What you think Kira will use as finishing move, Maximum Gundam Typhhon or Maximum Gundam Cyclone? :mrgreen:

More serious note, now Aile Striker can flip its main wings too? And those funnel-like devices look suspecious...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Sume Gai

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
farjad93 wrote:Yeah, I suppose you're right, haha. I like this forum site because the rules seem to actually be enforced and so any discussions remain intelligent and civil :D
That's because the mod's banhammers are made out of Gundanium. :)
just gundanium? Well that must be why we get the occasional spam bot. Ban hammers should be made out of Super Alloy Z Alpha for maximum effect.

More on topic, yeah SEED I felt was a fairly strong series on it's own it stuck to the original story a tad too closely at first but began to shine as it really came into it's own around episode 30. I do admit after watching Destiny I haven't seen the series in full though It's hard to say how much the sequel poisoned my opinion of SEED, certainly not to the point outright dislike. I'm also a big fan of the Dub which was how I was introduced to the series and I admit that's the main reason I'll probably never watch the Remastered version (course I'm weird and kind of like the supposedly awful Zeta Dub as well, perhaps I just like to sit back and experience my anime if I have the choice *shrug*).
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Kratos

My issues with SEED lie in its constant squandering of the incredible potential that its various concepts had. Constant "telling" without "showing" (especially in regards to Coordinators and their plight), wasting time with redundant flashbacks more than Naruto, bland character that are never used to their potential (I think Dearka is the only well-written, three-dimensional character in the entire show, though Natarle and Athrun come close), constant thematic self-sabotage (ESPECIALLY regarding deaths - I think there are maybe two that the show doesn't rapidly make a moot point)....SEED, for all its watchability and great music, is an incredibly poorly-written show, on nearly every count. I recently watched this series for the first time, and it was one of the most frustrating shows I have ever seen.

I know an HD remaster wasn't going to fix these issues, as it's just a visual thing, but here it's sounding like that's a mixed bag too. Oh well, so it goes.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
HellCat

I think the worst of that in the original was Andrew. Kira wasn't exactly happy about killing enemies before but Andy really gave him a face to haunt him every time he took a life and challenged the idea the Coordinators were all that bad. Then he's revealed to have survived and it kind of invalidates that whole character arc for Kira. Gundam has let characters cheat death before (and WITH Four, ha) but SEED just made a sport of it.