Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

Well, I'm thinking that any show that already had a remaster release probably won't get another one. Maybe HD simply wasn't an industry standard when their remasters, if any, were released.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Probably not, since Gundam 00 was the first show made for HDTV.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
BAMF

I'm a little late to the party but I have to talk about this release. I've been out of the community for a while. Some of you may know me as the guy who did 0079 for Zeonic almost five years ago now (wow I just realized it's been that long...), I used to post here during Destiny and 00's era. Guess my account got deleted for inactivity. Anyhow, I just started watching this remaster a few days ago and have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with what they did to SEED here. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the first SEED show and kind of view it the way I view Star Wars (prequel/sequel doesn't exist). But I always felt that the animation staffing was shopped out to too many studios (if you watch SEED TV you'll notice there's about five different prevailing art styles and it's all well and good until it begins bothering you that no studio's character designs remotely resemble another's). Also, and this is a problem that lots of people outside of myself have with the two SEED shows... the reuse of animation with different MS models pasted over the action. It's a lot worse in Destiny, but it's real bad toward the end of SEED. So far I've noticed A LOT of unique remastered combat footage which is awesome. So yeah, my only beef with SEED was the inconsistent and sometimes sloppy animation. Has it been 100% fixed? No, but there's a noticeable effort to make their show more of a visual treat and that pleases me.

And I really dig the 16:9. A few years back FUNimation did an in house remaster of DBZ and cropped their film but they just cropped it wholesale so every scene had the same cropping. Looks like Sunrise has selectively cropped their film to get the best shot in each scene whilst also remastering quite a bit of scenes. If only SEED could have came out in 2012 instead of 2002.

It's also an interesting perspective watching Gundam again after sort of forsaking anime as a hobby for awhile. I've always enjoyed the story SEED has to tell. It's a tad too dramatic a lot of the time, but I think it's good if you're one of the people who can watch the Cosmic Era without Char Aznable's boot in your ass. But before I would watch Gundam and generally form a particular bias throughout the course of the series. Now I'm just able to sit back and watch without worrying about what kind of arguments are about to go down on 4chan over what happened in this episode.
Kratos

Well, that's good. Glad you enjoy it.

I thought about watching this re-release, but honestly, I found the consistency with which SEED sabotaged its own excellent setup and backstory so incredibly frustrating the first time through, I don't know if prettier animation (and more fanservice) could really make me forget the fact that it peaked at the first clipshow. I guess it's great if the art was the only issue you had, but I found SEED fundamentally flawed (though not unwatchable; I made it through the whole thing with little effort) enough series that I think I'll probably give this a pass.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
HellCat

I think the first SEED's biggest flaw was pacing. There were others that would 'blossom' when it came time for Destiny but pacing was the one I think central to the first show. It takes ages for things to happen in the first half and then you get a finale that doesn't have time to really address anything. I particularly hated that stretch of episodes where Lacus is a hostage and each drawn out episode makes the time to shove her song in.

When it's got it's head in the game, SEED can actually suck you in pretty well and the quieter scenes really stand out in a way I struggle to compare to any other series in the franchise. But it really does drawn things out. 00 did the same initially and the staff took the criticism on board. SEED actually put me to sleep when I was watching the first HD set.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

SEED's pacing is still a frak-ton better than ZZ's.

--Freyja Wion
Admiral Larsen

All I can say is that the arguments are going to get very interesting (reminds me of when Destiny first appeared in 2004 and I still have some of the bad memories from those days).
Arbiter GUNDAM

I might get around to watching the Destiny SEs before the Remaster starts broadcasting. Gotta know when they've made changes, right? :D

--Freyja Wion
monster

One thing I'm looking forward to see is whether or not they will show Destiny's (temporary) energy/power shortage.

I've always believed that its disappearance in the SEs was unnecessary (other than for timing/pacing purposes) and, even then, the cut did not necessarily negate it from having actually occurred.
Gundam420

monster wrote:One thing I'm looking forward to see is whether or not they will show Destiny's (temporary) energy/power shortage.

I've always believed that its disappearance in the SEs was unnecessary (other than for timing/pacing purposes) and, even then, the cut did not necessarily negate it from having actually occurred.
So I take it you like seeing Destiny as a lesser suit than than the others. Not that it matters anyway given how all the battles ended up.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
monster

Gundam420 wrote:So I take it you like seeing Destiny as a lesser suit than than the others.
It is not a matter of what I like as I have no actual preference either way. My point is simply that no "correction" was needed for this particular scene. That said, if the scene is removed in this upcoming remaster, I will have no problem accepting that.
Compass

Can someone refresh me regarding this Destiny power shortage? I don't remember it. An episode number would be sufficient I think since I have the series. I will probably punch myself in the face afterwards though.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
monster

Compass wrote:Can someone refresh me regarding this Destiny power shortage? I don't remember it. An episode number would be sufficient I think since I have the series. I will probably punch myself in the face afterwards though.
It's in phase 42.
Gundam420

Compass wrote:Can someone refresh me regarding this Destiny power shortage? I don't remember it. An episode number would be sufficient I think since I have the series. I will probably punch myself in the face afterwards though.
It happened when Rey told Shinn to go back to the Minerva because the Destiny was running low on energy, which doesn't make alot of sense since it has a self-replenishing source of energy. The Special Edition ended up retconing this by just having the Destiny come back for repairs.
Dark Duel

It especially made no sense when it is the ONLY time that happened to the Destiny, and it NEVER happened to any one of the other three machines in the series to use the same type of powerplant.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
monster

Gundam420 wrote:It happened when Rey told Shinn to go back to the Minerva because the Destiny was running low on energy, which doesn't make alot of sense since it has a self-replenishing source of energy. The Special Edition ended up retconing this by just having the Destiny come back for repairs.
Rey never actually mentioned Destiny's energy level. I think it's because Shinn has lost the sword and boomerangs.
Compass

Yeah, I was under the impression that Rey told him to go back to resupply its depleted armament, and I think a later scene shows it being resupplied with new Beamerangs and sword?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Gundam420

monster wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:It happened when Rey told Shinn to go back to the Minerva because the Destiny was running low on energy, which doesn't make alot of sense since it has a self-replenishing source of energy. The Special Edition ended up retconing this by just having the Destiny come back for repairs.
Rey never actually mentioned Destiny's energy level. I think it's because Shinn has lost the sword and boomerangs.
I was referring to the series.
monster

Gundam420 wrote:I was referring to the series.
I was referring to the series as well.
HellCat

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OF373L3VV8g/U ... 0065de.jpg

The more they merchandise it, the more I'm wondering why HD SEED bothered to add in Perfect Strike. This version in particular barely looks like it could move.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.