Zipang a land far away

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Nagato21

Zipang a land far away

Since no one has talked about it, I thought about making a thread about Zipang; For those who don't know its about a modern Aegis cruiser the Mirai of Japan Self Defense force on its way to Hawai is propel into the past in 1942 during the battle of Midway, after rescuing an Imperial japanese officer the crew of Mirai unwillingly start changing history and the outcome of the war with their superior weaponry.

I've finish the first six dvds and I've got to admit it is quite of a story, the character development and the action are awesome. The serie in my opinion raises many issues about war, its ethics and the morality of WW2 and present time as well as the technological impact caused by the Mirai against weapons who are half a century old now.
So has anyone seen it?
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
razgriz

havent seen it jus read about it definitely an interesting take, reminds me of course of the final countdown from the 80s however this is much more unusual because of its japanese perspective. funny how a destroyer with today's tech can be superior over a battleship nearly twice its size from the 40s.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Antares

I've seen the series. It was rather good a times (I like the military hardware when it is done well and accurately(ish)). The big fight of the Mirai against the US Navy detachment had poorer moments too; I doubt that if the CIWS rends at a fighter-bomber of that time, it would rip through without problems. There was also at times a great deal of procrastination and I hoped the plot would continue faster especially since I knew that in the end the series would en undecided, which is a shame because as Nagato21 said, the potential and the areas of interest certainly were there. I haven't read the manga but I understand that it has a slightly different story line (the weapons officer makes a coup?).
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Compass

Re: Zipang a land far away

I apologize for the necro, but I decided to shake this collection out from my archives. While the 26 episode series ended on an awkward note, I would like to revisit this series if anyone else has watched the series since then or hasn't and is looking for something to watch in their spare time.

It's hard for me to describe the series other than it involves anachronistic time travel that results in a modern JMSDF destroyer being transferred back into time to World War II, and the political and moral implications that would happen as a result.

The story is slow at times but has some very well-executed battle scenes and music that I'm sure, if nothing else, people can enjoy.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Antares

Re: Zipang a land far away

I'm cautiously interested in revisiting Zipang. I distinctly recall the naval/air battles of the show of being of excellent visual quality (at 2006-2007), good soundtrack and all that.

As my previous post from 5 years ago said, I found the going to be overtly slow at times, especially in retrospect with the poor ending of the show. As I also mentioned, the manga does things a little differently but I had only a passing glance at it and moved on to other shows.

Historically speaking Japan's battleship fleet succumbed mostly to the American air weapon (because most US battleships were smart enough to steer clear of Yamato, on which this movie, from the Japanese perspective, was quite good presentation, notably without demonizing the Americans). I doubt that one ship would've carried enough ordnance to change that dynamic. But, as such, Zipang is an interesting topic for what if -timewasting, but that would take the discussion away from the show itself into alternate history and this forum isn't really the place for that.

But if you have some other aspects of the show to discuss, Compass, I'll throw in my two cents gladly. And since this show is so old, I don't think we need to rely too heavily on spoiler tags. ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.