Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

So yesterday I was talking with Chris, and he remarked on one of the rumored plot twists of Seed Destiny that he thought was pretty ludicrous. It reminded me of a whole bunch of similar ideas, both true and fake, that I had heard over the years. So I decided, what the heck, let's make a topic about them so we can look back and laugh.

In order to avoid having to put a dozen spoiler tags in every post, I'm just going to go ahead and make it plain that this topic is going to contain heavy spoilers for just about every anime we can think of. Read at your own risk.

Also, this topic is NOT going to turn into a flame war. Please don't make remarks like "Oh man, that show sucked anyway, they should have just gone ahead and used that plot twist no matter how stupid it was." I'm well aware that not everyone likes every show, but let's try to show a little civility.

Anyway, here are some of the rumors I've heard in my time.

Gundam Wing
-Wu Fei the Newtype: Some fans have reported that on odd bits of Wing merchandise like pencil boards, Wu Fei is listed as a Newtype. This was actually confirmed by the show's head writer Katsuyuki Sumizawa in an interview posted to the website for the HD remaster of Wing that came out in Japan a couple of years ago. According to him, early in the show's development the fifth Gundam Pilot was going to be African. Later on, after he had been changed to Chinese, he was given the Newtype power to sense evil-doers; this happened late enough in production that it showed up on those aforementioned bits of merchandise.
On a semi-related topic, the Gundam Wing Series Bible shows one more interesting tidbit about everyone's favorite divisive Chinese pilot. The character background sheets which appear on one page list Wu Fei's voice actor as Wataru Takagi (best known to Gundam fans as Garrod Ran), but his name is crossed out and replaced by Ryuzou Ishino's.

Gundam Seed Destiny
-Luna and Maria: This is the rumor that sparked this topic. Back before Destiny's info was solidified, rumors claimed that Lunamaria Hawke had split personalities, the kind Luna and the psychotic Maria. This rumor seems to have absolutely no basis in reality, instead springing from the fact that her name consists of two more common names put together.
-Alliance Justice: Around the time info about Strike Freedom first cropped up, it was obvious there would be a parallel upgrade for Athrun. One of the rumors that sprang from this was that the Earth Alliance would build the new Justice, and Neo Roanoke would pilot it at least once before the TSA stole it and handed it to Athrun. Interestingly, the exact opposite of this plot happened to Neo: another character piloted their new Gundam once and then handed it off to him.
-Video Game Endings: Around episode 34 (the debut of Strike Freedom), we got Generation of CE, an offshoot of the SD Gundam G Generation series focused entirely on Cosmic Era. In interviews with the staff, one producer claimed that the game contained the original ending for the Destiny anime, but he didn't specify which of the four it was. Most fans leaned towards "The Awakened Sword", where Shinn unlocks his true power and defeats the TSA, allowing Durandal to take over.

Code Geass
-Anya vi Britannia: I rediscovered this one while leafing back through the Geass discussion topic. The rumor claimed that Anya Alstreim was Lelouch's real sister, and that Nunnally was simply a decoy who was brainwashed via the Emperor's Geass to take her place. This especially came into prominence when Nunnally "died" late in the second season. I remember really disliking this one, because I felt like it undermined the core of Lelouch's character to say he had spent the better portion of his life taking care of a total stranger without realizing it.

So, have you guys heard any fun rumors?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Chris
Administrator

Re: Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

You forgot the one from DESTINY about Durandal having a Zephyr Gundam with some kind of Zyklon gas weapon. I'll throw in another one from 00, which stated that season 1 would end with an elevator drop. Not the thing we got in season 2, but the total collapse of a whole elevator.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

I believe when 00 was broadcasting we had a few interesting rumours.

I recall that one was that there would be an attack on the orbital elevator and it would be destroyed. Now they were partially right about this but this version involved Nena coming back in some monster Throne Gundam and single-handedly destroying the tower. Also, wasn't there a rumour at one point that the cast of 00 was all going to die at the end of season 1 and we'd get a whle new cast plus Rockon for season 2?
AmuroNT1 wrote:-Wu Fei the Newtype:
And here I thought Quatre was the resident Newtype of Wing.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

Amazingly, nothing was said about Quatre being a Newtype. On a related note, in that same interview, Sumizawa revealed that Quatre was initially very unpopular with viewers (yes, even girls) and was nicknamed "Space Heart Jerk" for a while. Pretty funny in hindsight.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Zeonic Glory

Yeah, starting with episode 16 or so, the broadcast of the first season of 00 was full of these. I think Lockon dying was one of the very few that were correct. I must admit, I was actually looking forward to the idea of the total orbital elevator drop. As soon as I saw them in the first episode, I could only imagine that they'd fall at some point.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Mark064

I don't remember a lot but from what I remember there were a ton about SEED.

- Fllay was originally supposed to be the pilot of the Strike Rouge and OMNI was going to use her as a sort of counter to Lacus, in other words be a singer.

EDIT:

Another SEED one which I believe came off some early mecha profile of Strike.

- The reason that Strike was so much better than the ZAFT mobile suits was because Kira and his friends made constant improvements to the OS.
Last edited by Mark064 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Dark Duel

Yeah, some of those are pretty silly. Then I seem to remember hearing a similar one to the Fllay one mentioned above, except that it made no mention of the singing thing - simply had her piloting the Strike Rouge and dying when it exploded.
AmuroNT1 wrote: Around episode 34 (the debut of Strike Freedom)
I hate to be a nitpick nazi, but Episode 34 was not the debut of Strike Freedom in Seed Destiny: That was episode 39. Episode 34 was the destruction of the original Freedom Gundam by the Impulse.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Here's one I remember from the DESTINY flame days: a bunch of butthurt Kira fanboys didn't like seeing Freedom get destroyed, so they came up with this BS that Freedom's reactor was damaged two years earlier while fighting Rau and it was going to run out of juice in two days when Kira fought Shinn.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

AmuroNT1 wrote:Amazingly, nothing was said about Quatre being a Newtype. On a related note, in that same interview, Sumizawa revealed that Quatre was initially very unpopular with viewers (yes, even girls) and was nicknamed "Space Heart Jerk" for a while. Pretty funny in hindsight.
Now that is hilarious.

Going back to First Gundam, wasn't there supposed to be a second Zabi sister that got cut from the production? Probably a good thing 'cause I shudder to think what Char would have done to her. :?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
reeoyuy

I've also heard a rumor (said to be from an interview with Fukuda) that SEED supposedly ended with Kira died, Athrun lost a limb, and Fllay is a human bomb that destroy Archangel from the inside. Maybe Fukuda was trying to go Kill-em-all route back then.
mcred23

The interview in question can be found here, with another bit of interview further up the page. However, as is often pointed out, Fukuda has been known to lie or make stuff up during interviews, so make of it what you will...
Last edited by mcred23 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
AmuroNT1

I heard the "Flay as human bomb" rumor too, but in the version I heard the AA crew figured it out and she went outside the ship in a spacesuit so she wouldn't hurt anyone else (though Sai went with her and they died together).

As for Wing, it's fun to note that Noin was originally intended to be an analog for Garma Zabi; her early character designs even had his familiar hairstyle. The Taurus' design is a vestige of this concept, made to be Noin's MS and designed with the keyword "sharp" in order to reflect her nature. And Lady Une was originally going to be a naiive country girl with a huge crush on Treize.

Deacon Blues

I'm not sure about that idea for Une... her preliminary sketches from one of the artbooks suggest an entire design altogether (one I wish they actually went with).

As for that comment about WuFei being a Newtype, the interview said they axed the idea though (if memory serves me). They axed the idea of him being African due to the fact that G Gundam represented every race, so Wing was to do so also. I still laugh how Sumisawa was like "Who was Trowa like?" and Tomioka responds with "Tim Burton".
Antares

I can't remember many rumors that I didn't pick up here. ;) I don't frequent any other sources of mecha-anime info. Most of that was mecha names for Destiny (Knight Justice, etc.), as I recall.

With Destiny, sadly, most of the rumors turned out to be true (some you could guess, while others you tried to violently disbelieve to the very bitter end until it became canon).
Chris said:
Here's one I remember from the DESTINY flame days: a bunch of butthurt Kira fanboys didn't like seeing Freedom get destroyed, so they came up with this BS that Freedom's reactor was damaged two years earlier while fighting Rau and it was going to run out of juice in two days when Kira fought Shinn.
Oh this was quite genuinely lulz-worthy. :D My brother, who still carries a torch for Kira, would probably have signed on to that theory right off the bat.
Of course, the more or less official "Kira switched off the reactor just before" isn't much better than that. :mrgreen:

I also remember seeing images of the Destroy for the first time and thinking it was a joke (even the acronym was sub-par for the usually clumsy attempts seen in CE).
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Zeonista

Yzak and Shiho: After Shiho Hahnenfuss made her silent debut, many fans speculated that she was Yzak's betrothed Coordinator mate. This was not unreasonable, due to the Athrun & Lacus engagement in-story. However, nothing ever came of it, and any further material pertaining to it is doujinshi and fanfic. :)

Setsuna and Nena Trinity: These two crazy Gundam kids met up, and rumors of shipping immediately ran rampant. it was very short in duration, as the next episode really axed that line of speculation!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
ShadowCell

there were a few of these I remember from DESTINY's run that purported to be spoilers, although to this day I'm not sure where they came from:

-at approximately their stay in Orb, Shinn and company were supposed to encounter Andy.
-at about episode 13 or 14, Shinn was supposed to fight Kira for some reason, and get his ass handed to him.
-ZAFT was supposed to attack the Alliance base on the Moon at some point, and the Windams were supposed to turn the tide. For those scoring at home or even if you're alone, I made much of this myself.
-at some point, Shinn was supposed to get captured by the Earth Alliance. presumably this is how he was going to meet Stella for the second time and get their relationship started.
-Lord Djibril apparently had a more significant role, in that he would reveal to Sting what exactly the Extended were, and would have something to do with killing Cagalli.
Zeonista

For GSD, Athrun was gonna reject Durandel, return to Orb, elope with Cagalli, and tell Kira & Lacus to" get the band back together." Alternatively, Athrun was going to take Savior, track down Archangel, and join up with them after telling ZAFT he was "investigating the situation"

Shadowcell: I really thought the Windams were going to be a better class of grunt MS too....
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
The Green Flame

I remember an old GSD rumor that said Kira and Shinn would brutally battle it out in the last episodes. There was even a magazine pic of it. If only it came true ;___;

Also recall that Nena was rumored to die in the 00 S1 finale with the elevator business.
Kenji

^ For all her impact afterward, she may as well have died in S1. She's not the only one I could say that about.

What I have might be a genuine rumor, or it might be a misconception I had that just stuck with me for ten years: I remember something prior to Gundam SEED's first airing, when it was being talked about in the first issues of the American Newtype magazine. Supposedly, the Aegis Gundam was to be capable of controlling the other four Gundams, by itself.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Deacon Blues

I started a "Shiho is dead" rumor with a fabricated quote from Gundam Ace :lol: