Burke's First Impressions of Gundam Seed Destiny!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Burke's First Impressions of Gundam Seed Destiny!

LightningCount wrote: As for Athrun and Meyrin...it's certainly made to look like they are a couple now (maybe there's more info in SE#4, about the Cagalli ring, I forget). But here...TOO BAD CAGALLI FANS! :P Whether it makes sense or not, I think it's sort of funny.
(evil laugh) You just trollin' me now son. Youwannafightaboutit? :lol: Actually in all seriousness, I have nothing against Meyrin, I just don't like the fact that they destroyed Cagalli's relationship with Athrun for all bad reasons. I suppose it could go either way given that
Spoiler
Athrun is an ORB Admiral at the end of SE.
Let's just say I felt Destiny, despite its execution problems, lived up to more of its "promises" than 00, despite having just as good of a setup and idea).
*sigh* My friend, we are never going to agree on this point. 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Sume Gai

(Let's just say I felt Destiny, despite its execution problems, lived up to more of its "promises" than 00, despite having just as good of a setup and idea).
Which promises did Destiny make you and subsequently keep? I recall no Gundam series making me any promises, ever. Do you mean it lived up to your expectations? If so, what were those?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Antares

Burke said:
Lacus and Meyrin are shopping for clothes, with Kira and Athrun watching guard over them. In public. Where you'd think lots of people would recognize Lacus.
Yeah that didn't make a whole lot of sense, did it? But then again the gals love their shopping, so maybe Morosawa was projecting a bit? Again I recommend Thundermuffin's ATEGSD -thread (I've been so tempted to quote it further on several occasions):
(Some time later, Lacus, Kira, Athrun, and Meyrin are on the moon’s surface in the city of Copernicus. They pause outside of the shopping district.)
LACUS: Well, the message included a time and place, but we’re not supposed to be there for another hour or two. Might as well go shopping.
(Kira and Athrun groan simultaneously.)
LACUS: Can I borrow your sidekick, Athrun?
ATHRUN: Go ahead; me and Kira are going to find a bar.
[...]
(We cut to a bar across the street, where Kira and Athrun sit alone, both halfway through their third beer. Kira is utterly wasted; the Ultimate Coordinator is a lightweight.)
KIRA: Yooou know, Asuraaan, thiss isn’t how I thinked I’d be spendin’ muh year.
ATHRUN: (Takes a sip of his beer) Mmm-hm.
KIRA: Tethered down tooo tha wacko pink-hair broad an’ shoootin’ stuff on ‘er behalf, allll for peeeace, or unicorns, or sumthin’.
ATHRUN: (Takes another sip) Yup.
KIRA: An’ I bet sheee wansz to settle down wif me an’ raise some little Ultimuh…Ultime…Ulti-mate Co-or-den-ate-orssssss.
ATHRUN: (Takes a healthy chug) I’ll bet.
KIRA: But I’m toooo young to settle down wif annnny chick! Don’t you thinkssso, Asuraaan?
ATHRUN: (Looks at his watch) Oh, definitely.
KIRA: Yea…sooooo, is it time to go see tha chick wit th’ big knockers yet?
ATHRUN: (Gets off his bar stool and puts on his coat) Yeah, we should meet back up with the girls.
KIRA: Gotchoo. Lez do it.
(Kira gets up and wobbles a bit, so Athrun steadies him and helps him walk out.)
ATHRUN: C’mon, champ.
KIRA: I love you, maaan. (Looks over at Athrun) Youuuu’re pretty, close up.
ATHRUN: Yes. Yes I am.
(quote from here: here)

The Meer slideshow made her suddenly nearly the most well-developed character in the series. A bit too little, too late, and completely throwing off the flow to the final battle.
and in a repeat of the Archangel vs. Dominion showdown from SEED, Neo arrives in the beam-deflecting-armored Akatsuki just in time to absorb the Minerva's shot! And this time, he survives!
Just when you thought they couldn't have cheapened his sacrifice in GS any further...
Athrun starts to put the hurt on Luna's Impulse.
That and taking care of Shinn, as biasedly one-sided as it was, is still something I can watch over and over again. Made up for losing the Saviour, made up for being so spineless. Athrun sticks to his old "hit Shinn until he gives up" approach in giving ethics lessons.
Shinn breaks down crying in Luna's arms. Is he crying because Durandal's plans have failed? Because he's failed? And now he's not going to get his long-sought revenge against Orb?
Because of what the writers did to him? All of the above? Not sure, but apparently that tried to show he learned something, instead of threw him into bottomless despair. Luckily Kira shook his hand later and he cried again and everything was right after that.
Lacus calls the ZAFT fleet and asks for a cease-fire. All the ships sending up their "cease fire/retreat" flares at once is kinda pretty.
I agree the scene was very pretty visually and emotionally, but made no sense at all. ZAFT, having been attacked by Requiem, and now lost their Messiah (heh), is pushed to a corner. Then pop-princess comes up, standing on a mountain of dead ZAFTies, saying that they should lay down their arms and that there has been enough killing already. Yeah, most of the dying has been done by one side of the conflict, so I can see how they might be inclined to surrender, but Destiny tries to pass this off as some sort of onset of sudden pacifism that forgives and forgets. Throwing Lacus in as a potential new chairwoman only makes it more damning for the TSA. The third CE series could've easily been about Lacus's enlightened autocracy, but again, the writing desperately tries to convince you that "no, no, it's all cool man".
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Dammit, Antares. Why did you post that blurb from Thundermuffin's thread? Now I'll have to spend all my free time rereading it!! :x
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
AmuroNT1

(Wall of text warning; I went on longer than I originally planned, even with some discussion points cut out.)

Alright, as promised, here's the voice of opposition. And while most people have similar gripes, it seems like I'm the only person representing the "pro-Shinn" side around here. So I'll just put a disclaimer at the start: These are my views. I don't expect anyone's mind to change based off of what I say, I just wanted to offer a differing view on some of the moments from Destiny. At the same time, I'll ask people not to lecture me about how Shinn was a crappy character and how ZAFT was totally evil. My opinion is my own, I'm not trying to change anyone else's, and I'll thank you to extend the same courtesy to me.

Now, I will start by confessing some bias. I've never liked Kira. I tried, believe me. But all I saw was another character made in the same overused mold Gundam hero mold of "civilian techie dweeb outcast falls into the latest Gundam, wins by the power of his MS for a while, then develops amazing powers that make him a god of war". On top of that, he didn't have anything to fight for until someone else came along and told him what to do. At the same time, I don't like Lacus either, because her sudden shift from "ditzy pop idol" to "queen of the world" came out of nowhere. Even moreso because fans and Sunrise alike insist on comparing her to Relena Peacecraft, a comparison which I do not care for in the slightest because of my fondness for Relena and her character and development. Cagalli I do like, and Athrun as well (though of course I have my gripes with his actions in GSD), but the "Golden Couple" has always just rubbed me the wrong way.

So I suppose the best place to start is my feelings about the characterization in this show. As I said, I was a ZAFT fan from the start, and the opening few episodes really appealed to me primarily because they were so different from SEED proper. But as the show progressed, the characters started having their personalities warped so they could be the opponents. It really disturbs me seeing all the comments to the effect of "The series ends with Shinn broken, defeated, and crying. Good, little f***** deserved it." The people who were the good guys and the focus characters at the start ended up having their goals and attitudes warped just so they could be the "villains", for no reason other than they weren't on Kira's side.

(And just to put it out there: Shinn Asuka is, and always has been, the main character of Destiny. Gripe all you want, call him a crappy character, cite games like Super Robot Wars K and Scramble Commander 2, I don't care. On any official website or licensed video game, the first line in Shinn's profile will read "The protagonist of Gundam SEED Destiny". You don't have to like him, but saying that it wasn't his show is just plain wrong.)

Really, the ZAFT characters were deep down good people, but highly flawed and human. The problem is, these flaws ended up getting exaggerrated and dominating the characters, turning them from realistic characters into flat, cardboard charactures with targets painted on their chests. And why? Well, let's look at it.
-Shinn Asuka: Yes, I like the guy, but I won't deny he was full of rage. But like I observed earlier, the problem is nobody ever tried helping him until the very end. Athrun was apparently supposed to be his Quattro, but the only way Athrun ever responded to him was to punch him and call him an idiot. I think maybe ONCE did he ever give Shinn praise, that being right after the Lohengrin Gate, and even then it was grudging. People were well aware of his anger and its source, but not once did anyone attempt to help him; they just said "Suck it up and get over it" before writing him off as a hopeless case and then punching him some more. Is it any wonder he just got angrier as the series went on? Ironically, his backstory bears a strong resemblance to Athrun's (joined the military after losing family in war, fought for country first, lost someone important to Kira), and yet he's viewed as some kind of monster.
-Rey za Burrel: Oh God, where to begin with Rey? It was baldly obvious from Day 1 that he was related to Rau, but early on he was still a separate character, which made him interesting. Moreover, he was Shinn's only friend, the only character other than Luna who treated him with any degree of decency. I'm sure someone will chime in and claim that it was all an act and that none of Rey's friendship was authentic, but frankly I have a hard time believing that. Through thick and thin, they stuck together and were friends, and in a better-written series his interaction with Shinn would have kept him from going down that same path. But then two episodes before the end, he suddenly decides "Well, might as well throw away everything else and act like the bad guy from the last show." This sudden shift makes absolutely no sense, and in fact contradicts earlier statements Rey made about being his own person. The only explanation is, they wanted Kira vs Rau Round 2, and to do so they had to derail the good aspects of Rey's character to make it happen.
-Gilbert Durandal: Sigh. This one I know I'm going to catch crap for, but I don't care. The fact is Durandal began the show as a reasonable and understanding leader who was looking out for his people but wasn't so delusional to assume that the rest of the world would understand and respond with smiles and sunshine. There have been questions about why he kept developing MS if he was peaceful, but the mere existence of the Alliance (more on them later) shows that this was a prudent move. The Destiny Plan is, like I said, an idea I have seen executed in other fictional settings (though not as extreme as Gil's) and it worked there. What bugs me most is the jumped conclusion that he planned on ruling over the world as a dictator after it was enstated. In fact, I'm pretty sure he never says anything remotely close to that effect even at the very end. But again, the show needs a villain, so that's what he gets to be.
-Meer Campbell: Just to round things out, let's have poor Meer. A young girl who showed an amazing talent for singing and was given the chance to be just like her idol, doing something more than just putting on USO-style shows for the troops. Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Durandal did use her for his own ends, I'm pretty sure she herself came to the conclusion that she was only useful when she was Lacus. Ultimately her case is horribly tragic, since she felt that nobody cared for poor little Meer Campbell and that she needed to be someone else to have value. As with Shinn, nobody ever bothered actually talking with her and trying to sort out her problems; instead, she was just painted as a cheerful tool of the "bad guys", ultimately dying in a senseless way and having no real impact.

Now for the Earth Alliance. The problem here is quite simple: they were cartoon supervillains, nothing more. We got perhaps two sympathetic Alliance members (General Halburton and Minister Alster), and everyone else might as well have had Snidely Whiplash moustaches and capes. The leaders were monomanaical racist scumbags who didn't care what happened as long as the "space monsters" were killed, the enhanced humans were psychotic puppets, and the rank-and-file...didn't exist. Really. Even the Murasame pilots who defected to the Archangel mid-series got more characterization. The Alliance got no focus, no attention, and nothing but hate. One moment that's always stuck with me was what Fukuda said in an interview, basically that they HAD written backstories for the original Druggies, but he threw them out because "They're villains, who cares about them?" That attitude pretty well sums up a major problem with the Cosmic Era anime: unless you're on Kira's side, you don't matter.

And while we're on the subject, let's talk about the "wonderful" TSA. People have praising the way they look after friends and family, but this misses a basic truth: they don't give a damn about anybody else. If you're not part of their group, you're pond scum. Look at the infamous "Cagalli is crying!" moment, where Kira badly injures his best friend just because he's on the other side. Or how they're instantly willing to forgive Neo for his mass murder just because "Mu-san is back!" And even then, he's still Neo up until the very final battle where he saves the Archangel, but they insist on trying to redeem him without a word about his actions before. And then we have that moment where they decide to go after Durandal. Lacus comes in with a book that she herself admits is outdated and probably inaccurate, and the response is "That's good enough for us, let's go!" And how they respond to the decision to depose the leader of one of the largest nations in the world? They act like Mom just said "We're going to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner!", Meyrin giggling happily as Kira and Athrun high five like they were Hank and Dean Venture. The negative view I have of the TSA is probably best exemplified by the DOM Trooper pilots, one-dimensional Lacus fanatics who ferociously cut down anyone who doesn't agree with them. In a way, these three jerks are a microcosm of the larger problems with the "heroes".

Destiny had a lot of promise, but what happened was a mess of bad writing. It seems like maybe they were trying to show the conflict between two groups of characters who could both be seen as heroes, but they just messed it up. We've seen similar attempts in other media, of course. There's Code Geass and the conflict between the cynical Lelouch and the idealistic Suzaku, which ultimately failed because just like Shinn, Suzaku was never made to look right in any way until he joined Lelouch's side. Then there's Marvel's Civil War event, which became a nightmare when writer after writer decided to use the story as a mouthpiece for their opinion on recent world events, turning beloved characters like Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic into morally ambiguous facists just to make a point nobody wanted to hear. And that's what we got in Destiny, where the show started off with the Minerva and her crew before shifting over to the Archangel, ending with Shinn defeated and broken while Kira and his buddies pose like they're on the cover of a video game.

I think in the end, we can trace Destiny's flaws to the fixation on "popularity". We all know the legends about First Gundam, how Clover forced Tomino to give the Gundam bright "parade" colors and introduce goofy, Super Robot-ish machines like the G-Armor and Zakrello all in the name of selling toys. Destiny is just the greatest expression of this. Shinn did well enough in character polls, beating dark horse characters like Yzak but still losing out to Kira and Athrun. Unfortunately it seems that the writing staff interpreted "less popular" to mean "not popular at all", explaining the shift in focus. Likewise we have the nonsensical and, in many ways outright offensive ressurection of Mu la Flaga, who died a hero's death and was brought back simply because they liked his voice actor. And of course, this is on top of similar incidents we already knew about from SEED, where Andy was likewise revived out of fondness for his actor and Dearka defected in order to shore up sales of Buster Gundam merchandise. What we got in the end was a show that was so fixated on being popular that things like quality and logic in writing fell by the wayside, resulting in a show that had some good ideas and moments which ended up getting bogged down by nonsensical plot twists, all in the name of making the series that would best appeal to the mass market.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Brave Fencer Kirby

I think the question is, were the characters "warped", or was it just that previously hidden aspects of them were revealed as the plot moved forward? I don't think any of the characters in Destiny actually changed much during the show's run, it's just that their actions and personalities were shown in a different light as things progressed.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Jaynz

Okay, something more cheery about SEED Destiny. My top five favorite suits from the series.

1) ZAKU. Yes, this may be a surprise since it's an homage/revisit of the classic design. In this case, though, the updated ZAKU really does work. The overall design makes perfect sense in an update, with added vents, verniers, and details which really stand out. The shield isn't as elegant (and, depending on your viewpoint, on the wrong arm), but it's solid. The wizard packs also go a long way to giving you your custom MS types without requiring a bazillion new base frames to work off of.

2) Sword Impulse. Notice I didn't say 'Impulse' here. The Sword Impulse is the Impulse with the Sword Silhouette Pack, naturally. The result is a fairly clean mobile suit design in a striking white and red scheme. The silhouette works well and provides all that ever-popular melee-weapon goodness in a nice, compact package. (Contrast the derivative Force and the goofy-but-powerful Blast Impulse)

3) Akatsuki. I seriously did not see a Hiyaku Shiki homage coming, and the Akatsuki is a fairly impressive design on its own right. The gold-scheme is effective as an anti-beam system (again, shades of Zeta here) and the two Striker packs custom-built for it are also a nice addition. The only real downside of this nice suit is that it's used twice, once by Cagalli and once by Mu La Flaga. It's hard to get a feel for just how good the suit is when you barely see it - and when one of those appearances is largely tracing the animation cells of the Strike... grrr...

4) Murasame. This is SEED trying to mimic Macross, but it works somewhat. The air mode is nice and sensible (unlike most Mobile Armor modes) and the mobile suit mode works very well as a nice grunt suit for Orb. A logical and effective upgrade from the Astray series.

5) Destroy. What do you get when you make the Psyco Gundam transform into the Big Zam? The Destroy's first appearance made this thing a massive, deadly, incredible threat for both Shinn and Kira. Capable of levelling cities, this is what a Gundam WMD should be. Sadly, the next time we see it, it's a glorified GM Cannon easily butchered by ZAFT.. what a waste. Still, a nice design that says "now is the time to soil your underwear". If only the writing remembered that.
Jaynz

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:I think the question is, were the characters "warped", or was it just that previously hidden aspects of them were revealed as the plot moved forward? I don't think any of the characters in Destiny actually changed much during the show's run, it's just that their actions and personalities were shown in a different light as things progressed.
Considering what's been made public about the production of the show, I have to side solidly in the 'warp' section.
LightningCount

Sume Gai wrote:
(Let's just say I felt Destiny, despite its execution problems, lived up to more of its "promises" than 00, despite having just as good of a setup and idea).
Which promises did Destiny make you and subsequently keep? I recall no Gundam series making me any promises, ever. Do you mean it lived up to your expectations? If so, what were those?
OK, it's a funny way of wording it. All sarcasm aside, though, I'm speaking of the promises in a series' premise. I guess you could call them expectations, but I think it's a little different than that. (I mean, if you watch/read a Sherlock Holmes production, you don't expect it to be about space-travel, do you? That's not just expectations, it's a betrayal of the basic concept--especially if you don't spend the time developing the transition if you want to pull it off).

Thus, Destiny started out as a series about the political, philosophical, and conspiratorial underpinnings of Cosmic Era, with a "hero" haunted by his anger, and it played that out piece by piece until it ran out of time at the end and jumbled things a bit.

Gundam 00 on the other hand...
Spoiler
started out as a series trying to reflect today's political underpinnings in a dynamic tri-polar Cold War-type world challenged by four mysterious interventionist pilots (around the plot's setting-superstructure of Orbital Elevators). It promised this in its recurring prologue and characters' declarations from square one. In the end, it became a series about androgynous bio-androids controlling a mindless, Titans-esque organization, with little integral use of the Orbital Elevators and the mysterious pilots really not allowed enough time on their own to be fleshed out fully. Those who challenged the challengers, such as Graham, were pushed far off to the side and became caricatures. (And other characters...Saji, whom the writers didn't know what to do with, became a backseat driver for 00-Raiser, doing little more than riding shotgun and looking for Louise). And to add insult to injury, the main character's solution was that humans have to physically evolve into psychic super-beings, and said super powers for healing and fighting end up saving the day whenever the heroes are caught in a pinch. And this was done to force the alien concept (of the movie I have yet to see), without first having legit, thoughtful dialogues about the world as it was/is.

I felt cheated, because it hardly explored the AD world and its characters; it almost always wanted to rush forward, particularly once we got to Season 2. All the thoughtful development and intrigues in the early going were either dropped like SEED's "space whale" subplot, glossed over, or halted by the appearance of super-weapons taking out the moral ambiguity and political/economic/social underpinnings. (I like the setup of 00, and even parts and portions of the series, but its failings hurt it more than Destiny's problems hurt that series). 00 easily had potential to be far and above Destiny and even SEED--the DNA of cast, setting, machines, organizations, animation, etc was all there--but it didn't do it in my opinion because it rushed through its premise to find another premise--bait and switch, if you will. (Even its MS designs became less ambitious and more traditional as it switched its storytelling goals). The A-Laws and aliens plots could have still been used, but only after a 39-to-50-episode season of what Season 1 set up, IMO. Unlike SEED Destiny (a Cosmic Era sequel), this was the start of the AD universe, and to rush through it without fully fleshing it out was a disservice to the concept, IMO.

About its premise, even though he said contradicting things, in some interviews at GUNOTA, 00's director noted: "While this will be a drama connecting people with people or people with the world, I will not be forcing answers on them. I'm hoping this series will motivate viewers into thinking...It is possible to make this story a fantasy, but I didn't want to do that with this Gundam. I wanted an era based on today's world...300 years from now, I don't think this [Middle East] problem will be solved. However, I don't want to present a solution to this social problem. If young people ended up searching on the net, it would be worth making the series. Instead of just watching the events, I'm personally hoping we can approach it more closely. For us, it is hard to understand the thoughts of people who are living under war conditions, but we can know a little bit by studying. I want to absorb them and express them on film. I do believe this is a hard thing to do. There is another challenge. I'm aiming for a new innovation as far as MS action goes. Each group will have their own MS, unique in shape and movement as well. To put it simply, a normal MS will have realistic behavior. Since Gundams are super weapons, they will have super mechanic movements. These differences will be purposely put in place and I'm looking forward to how much variety of actions we can express. I want everyone to look forward to this because I am, too...There will be plenty of romance even under these harsh circumstances. *laughs* Yousuke Kuroda is going to include lots of romance in the story...A 24-year-old heroine. She's been through a lot of difficulties...[Q: Will she be Setsuna's primary interest?] A: Umm, we haven't decided that yet. Again, she's been through a lot..."

*There were tastes of these things, but it didn't seem like it stuck to its guns. And "lots of romance"...not so much. There was a lot more room for emotional impact. I think they had a lot of bold, interwoven ideas, but when it came time to make it all happen, production schedules or too much corporate oversight hurt it: "Sunrise told me "We want to create a new Gundam so the director doesn't have to know a lot about Gundam." I have staff like Yousuke Kuroda and mecha designers, who are Gundam fans, so they will make sure it is Gundam while I will try to create without thinking too much that this is a Gundam series. Perhaps, this might be the theme, but I will bring my own Gundam-ness to the series. Q: What is your Gundam-ness? A: One is writing about war. Gundam is a weapon after all. This doesn't mean I'm going to be devoted to battles scenes. Instead I believe it is important to approach the war theme straightforward."

It was still nice to see them give it a try, though.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
harotype

notes for now:

-I'm surprised nobody brought up the fact that Kira was made into a Newtype of all things, along with every other bit of glorification.. And while the decision ****ed the **** out of me, it's what led to the ending we got.

-I've snarked "you have to love how SEED was 'hey let's kill off the NT so Kira looks cool' and GSD was 'hey let's bring back the NT so Kira looks cool'", but one can argue Rau nearly killed him in SEED out of a lack of understanding, baited Kira into a Shinn-like fury of rage, and then smiled as he died because the CE world we see is definitely NOT worth protecting, and I'm sure he could see the future unfolding the way it did. (It's worth improving, but Kira's hard-pressed to understand that for 99.5% of his screentime, given his hard-core attachments to the defensive and static.)

-Rey. "Kira Yamato... I will never forgive your existence," and why should he? Again, Kira is a REALLY twisted symbol of man's desires, caused untold helpless suffering in his wake (all those failed experiments, Rey being just one) and yet he's constantly held up as something to emulate, and bops along as he pleases, more and more powerful, having nothing but free will. Now what's fair about that? Rey's rage against him is, of course, Rau's too.

-Gil. I'm not a fan of Char at all, so I was ready to call bs on the man and his pronouncements from the get-go, and his incredibly irritating little habit of refusing to see people as anything other than his pre-assigned convenient roles (Yes, it starts with designating Cagalli "hime".) With all the people he killed, trying to get his own way, the two lamest things he said were "I don't want to fight; I just want to win." (So, lazy coward, then. How slick and cool. :roll: ) and, of course, "Kimi mo Raww da"/"You're Rau too."

-Where does one even begin with the wrongness, there. Suffice it to say, for all his manipulations of others, the man doesn't actually try or want to understand anybody, and is NOT a Newtype. Which is why Rey was able to cut him down instead of shooting Kira. Kira, the bitterest of enemies, showed him more validation and understanding in an instant (however lame the execution was) than someone he loved, and overcame his loyalty to "The Chairman", which was always on a somewhat separate track than his feelings for "Gil". "Gil, I'm sorry! But... his tomorrow!" There's an extremely subtle cue where Shinn and Rey are up before the Chairman for the last time, and Rey speaks about his feelings... but he says "ore" and not the "watashi" he always uses formally. You can see Shinn react just slightly. Rey's not talking to Gil, he's talking to Shinn.

-As far as "Legend" goes, I liked Lightning Count's interpretation, but I thought it had something to do with the UC references too, what with Rey being the White Newtype Kid and all... (I think Legend adds a few more RX-78 cues and has a -78 beam rifle if I'm not mistaken) and even Char. Gil may have the sound and the suck, but Rey got the blond and the Important Bleeding Forehead at the End...

-Well, we actually had one more NT in this show, and it's Shinn. No, he didn't get flashy space weapons, but he got more important stuff, like understanding Stella, his enemy; understanding Rey, his closest friend, having random displacement scenes of insights (2 with Stella, 1 with Rey). He gained the ability to come through vicious amounts of pain and loss and still be unafraid to love, trust, and protect (arguably more than Kira and Athrun in their sometimes-stilted ways.). Stella, Rey, and even Luna, however hesitant he seems about Rey's true advice to him to 'trust her more, she's strong'. ;)
In the "relationships flowchart" in the last GSD Character book, Rey "is loyal to" Gil (the same relationship the female DOM pilot has with Lacus...) -- but he's "entrusting the future" to Shinn.

-so, Kare no Ashita, tomorrow; like Stella was so thrilled with, having gained 'yesterday' from meeting Shinn. Tomorrow will always be there. Without being sure what it will bring, we may get badly hurt (again) and we may make mistakes (again). And this, I think, is why Shinn cries at the end. (Who wants to get up tomorrow and have to deal with the same shit, honestly? He may get his ass continually beat by Oldtype Athrun, but he takes a licking and keeps on ticking.) "An unstable, endless, continuation," as Lacus sings in Fields of Hope, which was one of the vast improvements in Final Plus.

But perhaps, if we're good enough to each other and we retain our humanity, we don't have to make the worst mistakes again. (Mendel, Lodonia, giant superweapons...who knows.) It'd be interesting to see how Lacus deals with this imperfect, free-will world she's chosen.

-Burke, if you're not aware, there's an excellent track on one of the Drama CDs (8, I think, Lacus Clyne X Meer Campbell, called "Hisaku") ...where Lacus learns to imitate Meer. Under Andy's tutelage. And Kira is befuddled. It's really worth a listen if you get the chance.

oh, and just for the record, Arthur's track record:
*called Impulse >> Freedom, about 20 eps before
*"this is only my personal opinion", and it's great that the Chairman wants us to get along with the Naturals, but somebody's going to have to get shot to end this thing. :cry: Yes, Arthur, why'd you give her the idea...
*maybe it's not a good idea to keep fighting the Chosen People on the Archangel (BIG SIGH)
and finally,
*Athrun Zala is a useless dick and ultimate detriment as far as we're concerned! 8)
"Idealists stay away from war and politics!!"
Burke Rukes

Here's some more of my thoughts on Destiny now that I've wrapped up my viewing (aside from Special 4, which I will probably get around to watching the SEED & Destiny Specials after I get through 00).

We STILL never found out how Mu survived getting incinerated in the Strike who rescued him, and why he was brainwashed/programmed into being Neo Roanoke. Why would someone (Djibril?) go out and look for his body, which was thought to be incinerated by the Dominion's Lohengrin? There's just so much confusion about why he's there and what his point in the series was, except to push Murrue's emotional buttons. They couldn't have done this with, say, a Mu clone? Or perhaps bring in a new character, who reminded Murrue of Mu and something sparked. I dunno, that, along with other elements of the story, particularly late in the series, just felt like fan-wanking. I don't like this whole thing, but I so much wanted Murrue and Mu/Neo to have their happily ever after... *shrug*

Speaking of fan-wanking... one of my other biggest problems with the series overall is... who am I supposed to be cheering for? The series starts off with ZAFT clearly being the good guys (including extremely hate-worthy and yet clearly-understandable Shinn) and following them, but as soon as Kira and the old Archangel gang are brought back into the action partway through the series... the ZAFT pilots & Minerva crew became a mixture of bad guys (Rey, Shinn) or good guys working for the bad guys (also Shinn, Lunamaria, Talia, etc.).

Shinn... such a wasted opportunity for a Gundam hero. I could've totally accepted him as an anti-hero lead for a Gundam series, which would have been refreshing and different... IF he'd had some actual character growth. But he didn't. And that's why he was the single most frustrating element, alongside Athrun (who I'll get to in a bit), of this whole series. His character went NOWHERE. I was okay with being rubbed the wrong way and not liking this guy from the start because of his totally abrasive personality. But if he'd actually GROWN, if he'd had a journey where he truly moved from point A to point B as any well-written hero (or anti-hero) should, then I'd have been happy with it. The only "growth" in his character we saw was his brief time with Stella, caring for her so much and trying desparately to protect her but utterly failing - partly due to his own bad decisions. Otherwise, he just spends the entire series running on pain and rage and hate and fevered ego, eventually becoming nothing more than a Durandal lackey who's completely guzzled the kool-aid. And then, at the very end, after his hopes and dreams are shot and blown up, does he finally have some sort of breakdown and acceptance and an "okay, I'm better now" thing. And then, voila, he decides to be all chummy with Athrun and Kira in Final Plus at the cenotaph. I cried when he put the flowers on it, and I even cried when he buried Stella's body in that lake. But two, count 'em, TWO moments of sympathy from me out of 50-and-a-half episodes does not make for character growth, especially when one of those moments sent him emotionally right back to square one. I'm all for "hiss dark vengeance!" anti-heroes, when they're done well and made compelling. Shinn wasn't compelling at all.

And Athrun... poor Athrun. He could have become the sempai mentor for Shinn and helped him along with his much-needed character growth. It's sad that Athrun tells Shinn during the big final battle that he needs to stop living with his head stuck in the past. Athrun should've told this to Shinn 40 or so episodes sooner! But then, Athrun himself spent half the series with -his- head stuck in the past as well... as did we all, as the director cranked up the "spam the audience with flashback clips" dial to 11. Looking back in retrospect, though, Athrun's wishy-washy-ness makes some sense in the overall context of the series, but I think his character could've been a lot more solid if either (A) he'd gone back home to Cagalli and Orb sooner, and been by her side where he should've stayed, or (B) Kira & the old gang should never have stolen the hero spotlight from the Minerva crew, thus leaving Athrun there to be Shinn's mentor and help the new "lead hero" (which I still fail to see Shinn as in any way, anti-hero or not), thus keeping to his Char/Quattro homage bit he had at the start, as superior officer and mentor to Shinn/Kamille.

That brings me to the rest of the Minerva crew. Lunamaria Hawke and her cute little sister Meyrin were fun and adorable, but ultimately, not very interesting. They both had crushes (or at least strong interests) in Athrun, and Meyrin won the lottery (I think?) simply on the virtue of her being in the right place at the wrong time. Luna had a couple of opportunities to really question what she and her teammates were doing, had enough evidence personally witnessed to realize that -something- stunk really bad, but... ultimately she did nothing, and instead became Shinn's impromptu snuggle-bunny. Oh well.

Rey Za Burrell, I think, was an interesting villain (and would-be mentor - or rather, I should say, emotional manipulator - for Shinn). I just wish they would've worked up his internal confusion over his own identity and his Rau-clone-ness earlier in the series rather than rushed it at the end. But his shooting of Durandal and breakdown in Talia's arms in the end, despite the rushing, was rather moving. He could have been Rau Le Creuset Mark-II, but in the end, he truly was himself (short as it may have been).

Talia, for her part.... she was a great captain, she had a hint of the "hot maternal MILF" thing that Murrue Ramius does so well, but she mostly keeps it to herself, being far more professional in her military role than Murrue. She must save the maternal thing for her own son when she's home. :P And her relationship with Durandal was ultimately bittersweet, due to their "following the rules" and staying apart. But in the end, it was her relationship to him that ultimately doomed her to being another lackey for the Big Bad, rather than taking the riskier route of turning the Minerva into another Archangel, deserting the establishment to strike out on its own to do the right thing. You could see the gears turning in Talia's mind as the series went on, and especially after the Destiny Plan announcement. Unfortunately, she's a professional soldier, and like all good soldiers, they have a hard time thinking for themselves, and are just programmed order-following machines, ultimately. Switching sides and turning on your evil, tyrannical leaders would be harder for a crew full of soldiers (Minerva) than it would be for a crew with many civilians (Archangel).

Despite my initial admiration for him, and totally digging his words and thought-provoking dialogue, I was always suspicious of Durandal from the start. I'm an anarcho-libertarian, which means I distrust all politicians, no matter how nice and slick of a package they come in. And ultimately, as I suspected he would, he turned out to be the Big Bad. But he was about as great a Big Bad as they come! And like all tyrants, who may have started off with good intentions, but get caught up in their fevered egos, fueled by the power they possess, thinking their way is the only way, ends up being just as bad as those they're trying to do away with. A fascinating, and tragic, and even sympathetic villain. Definitely a real highlight for this series. :)

Kira and Lacus and the old gang... it was great to see them back, and it was great that they had an active part in the series... but they truly stole the spotlight. Well, I can understand and support (the real) Lacus Clyne making a public comeback, to take a stand and roll out her secretly-building force to stop the new out-of-control aggressors and tyrants stirring up new trouble, supporting Cagalli's and Orb's ideals, with Kira and Murrue and the rest as her personal guard and right-hand-people. But the way they were handled, totally crowded the Minerva crew out of their would-be-hero status, and put them at odds. If I were to rewrite the series, sure, I'd have Kira & Freedom and the Archangel around, but in a more supportive role, having the Minerva defect from ZAFT following an -earlier- roll-out of Durandal's "final solution" Destiny Plan (which I also feel was rushed and didn't get enough build-up and play-out), keeping the Minerva and its crew center stage as the main heroes. The biggest problem with bringing back Kira & company and having them become the main heroes again is that... they were predictable and had nowhere to go. These characters had all their growth and development in SEED. Thus, all we see of them in Destiny is familiar faces doing familiar things. Over and over and over again. And we get that Kira is a Coordinator god-like being when he uses the Freedom. That sort of thing should be saved for rare occasions in a sequel series like this, not take over the lead hero role.

The Extendeds were okay for villains, the only truly interesting character, of course, being Stella, if nothing but for the fact that she was such a sad, broken, tragic character. My heart still breaks for what happened to her. Truly a moving and tearful part of the series, a real highlight of Destiny.

Cagalli... poor Cagalli. What the hell did the writers do to you, girl? I can understand that she may have found the daunting task of being a head of state and filling her late father's very big shoes a little overwhelming in the face of corrupt opposition like the Seirans... but seriously, she gave in too easily. And I can partly blame Athrun leaving her behind and running off to play soldier again for her downfall... she should be more than capable of taking of herself and sticking to her guns without someone to look over her shoulder or hold her hand. She did it well before she became part of the Archangel team way back in early SEED. Then after being kidnapped from her own wedding (which I still think was a fun, fun, fun scene :D ) by her brother, she... goes even more wishy-washy. Half the time she's got her old spirit back, fired up and ready to get in there and get the job done, the other half she's having emotional breakdowns in battle, bawling like a very badly hurt small child, when she's not (rightfully, I would say) blaming herself for her mistakes. I did cheer for her when she took back the Orb reigns of power, and from that point on, I started respecting her again (though why she gave her Akatsuki to NEO, of all people, I'll never comprehend - why not Kisaka, or Andy?), though I was sad to see her stop wearing the ring when she bid the Archangel goodbye. I guess, in the end, she and Athrun weren't meant to be - he has his world of MS piloting and soldiering, she has her responsibilities as a leader and politician. I was sad to see them end up going their separate ways (if, indeed, they HAVE, it's still a little vague, but it does seem to be the general consensus), but... that's life. Sometimes things don't work out. I'm sure Mirialla and Dearka could talk about that (there's another story I'd love to hear :P ).

I also want to talk about Meer Campbell, and her personality and background. I honestly thought the 2 episodes near the end which ended her story and gave us some insight into her was a refreshing and welcome breather before the final big battle. She was another tragic character, a product of both others' design and whatever childhood traumas caused her to WANT to be someone else, someone she idolized, rather than herself. (This is an interesting recurring theme in this series, dealing with false identities: Athrun/Alex, Neo/Mu, Rey/Rau, Meer/"Lacus".) But something that stood out to me in the "diary" flashback scenes, which I didn't mention before, but I think is -very- important... is that she set herself on the road, either through her own decision, or (it would seem) with the encouragement of men-in-black who were working for Durandal... to transforming herself into Lacus Clyne BEFORE being actually recruited. The sequence of events is startling. The diary starts with her waking up frm her cosmetic surgery, having Lacus' face. After that, with some help from men-in-black and other "handlers," she starts practicing her new life, acting and dressing and impersonating Lacus. It's only well AFTER she's put herself through all of this that she actually meets and is recruited by Durandal to be the "replacement Lacus." You have to wonder what sort of psychological damage Meer Campbell is suffering under to do this to herself for the sake of self-delusion (or self-hate of her real self as Meer Campbell). It's a fascinating story that gives me pause and a lot to think about. And, of course... ends in tragedy. In the end, I feel terribly sorry for Meer Campbell, and wonder what she could've been if she'd stayed true to her real self. She clearly had the talent to be "Meer Campbell, superstar" on her own merits - she didn't need to become Lacus to gain fame and fortune. It's just... tragic.

I'm also very curious about the Destiny Plan, and fascinated by the larger themes of genetic engineering, choice/freedom vs. fate/destiny that it plays into. As I said, the rollout of the Destiny Plan in the last 2 or 3 episodes was very rushed and I felt -really- needed more time to be built up, beyond some years-old obscure scribblings found in a notebook at an abaondoned lab. It's the implementation of the plan that I'm really wondering about. Durandal wanted to create a society where everything is engineered and controlled and managed and planned, with the focus being on the genetic side of things... and yet... human beings are more than their genetic code. We're the summation of our experiences and memories, our joys and traumas, and so on. Durandal seemed to be gung-ho on eliminating free will/individual choices in his vision for the new world order, and that would have to involve an extremely oppressive police state, at least inititally during a transition into such a world, followed by an even more Orwellian/Brave New World-ish nightmare society where human beings become nothing more than programmed and managed biological machines. Dr. Whats-His-Name (Ubuki?), the guy who created Kira, admitted that a major drawback for genetic engineering when modified children are born in utero is that the mother's womb and environment and such affect the child, thus the results aren't always what was hoped for. Would Durandal's Destiny Plan have involved moving to 100% artificial womb/in vitro reproduction for humanity? Thus making the entire human race "Ultimate Coordinators" like Kira (on the genetic level, I mean - personality-wise.... see my comments just above).

It's fascinating and I love that Destiny took this whole subject to another level - I just wish it would've gotten more attention and detail beyond where it fit in the "choice vs. destiny" theme.

One more minor item of note in regards to Destiny itself. I saw some discussion about the female leader of the DOM Trooper pilot trio and who she resembles. Honestly, my first gut reaction was I thought she looked like Cecily Fairchild/Vera Ronah and Zabine Chareaux's love-child, with the short orange hair and the eyepatch. :P Without the eyepatch, she kinda looks like Matilda Ajan, or the Space Ark captain from F91 (don't remember her name). And I'd still love to see and know more about that trio! A manga or side story about them would be a real treat.

Oh, and before I wrap up this yet-another-long-Burke-post, I also watched CE 73 Stargazer last night. First off, about this short movie, the Junius 7 pieces falling in the ocean and causing tsunamis.... I couldn't help thinking of the earthquake & tsunami that hit Japan earlier this year. :( As for the movie, overall.... I'm not sure what to say about it. We get more peeks into the horrors of the Earth Forces' Extended program. Some slice of life stuff of Coordinator scientists working on some interesting projects. And probably one of the most unusual Gundam designs to ever be seen - and it's not even a military MS. The animation is gorgeous, and the little tie-ins to Destiny were nice, including the surprise cameo by everyone's favorite Blue Cosmos slimeball, Muruta Azrael. I guess my general reaction to Stargazer is that it's a strange little piece, it feels very surreal, and it's... interesting. The subject matter, and its 50-minute length, makes me think of the various oddball original short manga stories you might see. It's certainly not something I would call a "mainstream" story for the Gundam CE-verse. It feels more like a "what if" kind of story. It's kind of nice, but it didn't really grab me much. Maybe after repeated viewings down the road it'll grow on me a little more.

I also started reading the first volume of the Gundam Seed Astray manga. Fun stuff so far! I might talk about them in a different thread or post later, but I have 2 questions: since when did Coordinators have telepathic abilities, and that "8" suitcase computer thing sure does seem like a very advanced AI for a "piece of junk" that Lowe found. And yet, in Stargazer, they're developing an AI for that space exploration Gundam which seems extremely primitive by comparison. Just something to ponder. :)
Believe in the sign of Zeta!

- Burke

Top current headline from The Weekly Earth Sphere Post:
COLONIES RISK GRAVITY LOSS DISASTER FROM LABOR STRIKE!
Grav-Making Hamsters Demand Well-Lubricated Wheels, Shorter Hours, Yummier Food
DuelGundam2099

Glad you enjoyed SEED Destiny Burke, even if you did have a lot of nitpicks with it. :)
Sume Gai

I see what your problem with 00 is now LightningCount an in depth discussion of why I disagree with you will have to wait till Burke gets there but suffice to say
Spoiler
I don't think 50 episodes of season 1 would have worked.
I also think you should be more upset with Destiny than you are. The Angry Shin never really became the hero he should have due to failings to properly distribute screen time to the new cast and -numerous- wasted opportunities for Shinn to develop beyond being Durandal's plaything.

The Philosophical aspect was interesting for a while but quickly slipped into silliness. In the end the writers point to the TSA and say "they're right" without giving any real reason. (which is why so many people point out Lacus as a dictator)

Next you mention political, well this also breaks down as the finale draws near. Durandal the smooth politician slowly devolves into obvious villain sitting on his Death Star ripoff throne. Mainly to make our old heroes look good. Oh and his best political foil, Cagalli, vanishes from the series in favor of the Pink Princess.

Finally we have conspiracy, Which I believe comes down to Logos the guys who dropped like a stone into cartoonish supervilliany. The actual conspiracy is almost laughable save the response to the Break the World Incident because incompetent writing basically makes the EA out to be nothing but assholes to the point where one wonders "why bother keeping your goals a secret or conspiring at all".
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Brave Fencer Kirby

Burke Rukes wrote:We STILL never found out how Mu survived getting incinerated in the Strike who rescued him, and why he was brainwashed/programmed into being Neo Roanoke.
This goes into the realm of pure speculation (ie, making stuff up that has no basis in the animation), but I've always liked the idea that Neo is actually a clone. We already know that the Earth Alliance has the technology for both cloning and memory manipulation. Mu was one of OMNI's most celebrated pilots before he defected. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Mu was cloned, the clone was implanted with his memories (to make sure he's still the badass we all know any love), and then false memories as Neo were implanted over that (to make sure he remains loyal to the Earth Alliance). Farfetched, sure, but no more than the idea that Mu survived being positron'd a few yards from the Archangel without anyone aboard noticing.
Burke Rukes wrote:one of my other biggest problems with the series overall is... who am I supposed to be cheering for? The series starts off with ZAFT clearly being the good guys
You say this, but then later on, you admit to having suspicions about Durandal from the beginning. While Durandal certainly talks a good game, actions speak louder than words, and Durandal's are aggressive from the beginning.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
ShadowCell

i'm not sure why people ever thought Durandal was a good guy to begin with. you don't pick Shuichi Ikeda to voice your character if you don't want people to at least have suspicions about him.
Jaynz

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:This goes into the realm of pure speculation (ie, making stuff up that has no basis in the animation), but I've always liked the idea that Neo is actually a clone.
Given all the scars, etc., it's somewhat more plausible that survivors of the Dominion picked up him as they were leaving the battle-scene. This would require that he got medical attention immediately after the attack (as in, ON the escape pod), and that the cockpit managed to be intact enough for him to escape. From there, the addled and wounded Mu was given over to the Phantom Pain along with the rest of the crew of the Dominion.

Still very hard to buy, unfortunately, but it's something.
AmuroNT1

Burke Rukes wrote:Cagalli... poor Cagalli. What the hell did the writers do to you, girl?
According to the legends, there's bad blood between Naomi Shindoh (Cagalli's actress) and Chiaki Morosawa (the head writer) that extends as far back as their work on the My-HiME franchise. This is often cited as the reason for Cagalli's characterization taking a turn for the worse, going from strong and confident to powerless and weepy, as well as the fact that she sits out of the final battle, hands the MS her father left for her over to somebody else, and effectively gives up on her relationship with Athrun (which Morosawa said in an interview would never work out anyway because it was an "unequal pairing"). I don't think anyone's ever actually asked Shindoh for her thoughts on the matter, but none of the other voice actors have any problem talking about their beefs with Destiny. For that matter, it would certainly serve to explain why Cagalli hasn't made a voiced appearance in any video game (Super Robot Wars or G Generation) since Destiny ended.

Speaking of, that was actually something I thought about bringing up in my big wall of text back there, but ended up cutting out. Namely, all the myths and legends regarding Destiny's production. I don't believe them personally, but the thing is, it's easy to see why people would. For example, one claimed that Fukuda said Orb represented his idealized vision of Japan. If we really look, Orb is a small Pacific island nation that inexplicably has strong ties to Japan (strong identification with the colors red and white, Japanese names for mecha and tech - for that matter, Akatsuki's mirror coating is named for the Yata no Kagami, one of Japan's three sacred relics), has a vaguely isolationist policy, and yet when trouble comes knocking at their door they win due to being bolder, more pure, and having better technology. It's easy to believe these rumors not only when you want to, but also when there's enough circumstantial evidence to make it vague.

I dunno what people were going for with the "Who does the DOM pilot remind you of?" thing. All I remember is, when the characters were first unveiled they said that she'd be voiced by Kikuko Inoue (the go-to actress for sweet and angelic women like Belldandy and Kasumi Tendo...and also for psychotic villainesses like I-No, Grace O'Connor, and Insarn).

Stargazer...well, it was nice that there was actually a story from the Alliance perspective. Too bad that, once again, they were just mindless racist murderers. And that they managed to make Orb look good even when it didn't actually play a direct role in the story. Like I mentioned earlier, the Voiture Lumiere "wings of light" system used by the Stargazer Gundam is the same system we see in the Destiny and Strike Freedom.

And as another amusing voice actor reference, Shams (the Buster pilot) was voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya (Zetsubo-sensei) in the first episode, but he was injured in a car accident and Mamoru Miyano (Light Yagami) stepped in and took over the role from that point on. These two actors will both pop up in Gundam 00, where their characters' relationship becomes pretty amusing when you run it through the filter of that fact about Stargazer.

Astray is a really fun series, mainly because while it's based in Cosmic Era, it does its own thing. I really get frustrated at all the "pocket sidestories" like 0083, where you know that in the end nothing matters and the characters will either die or fade into obscurity. Astray is a bit different because it was made to go along with the story, and as you'll see they use it in a couple of places to patch up plot holes. Unfortunately, IMO, around the time of Delta Astray (the Stargazer-related manga) the story hits its shark-jumping point where it starts falling in line with Destiny's questionable plots and ends up focusing more on selling recolored model kits than it does on telling an interesting story.

Oh, and one final note about Astray: go back and look at the "escape pod" where Lowe found 8. Does it look familiar? It should... :D
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
LightningCount

Sume Gai wrote:I see what your problem with 00 is now LightningCount an in depth discussion of why I disagree with you will have to wait till Burke gets there but suffice to say
Spoiler
I don't think 50 episodes of season 1 would have worked.
I also think you should be more upset with Destiny than you are...
Oh, you have some points. The biggest thing, ultimately, that was different between Destiny and 00 for me (to my memory--and maybe some things will change over time), is that even as Destiny floundered on and off, and then took a big nosedive near the end, it still kept me fairly "engaged" to see the end game with the plot and characters, even if they weren't handled the best at the end. The last quarter, which was the weakest, still had the Logos manhunt, Meer assassination, the Daedulus base attack involving the creatively-"designed" Requiem, Destiny Plan announcement and subsequent discussions about free will vs. design/fate, Rey's confiding of his clone status and mental complex about Rau that he finally turns against in that tragic moment involving Durandal and Talia, and Shinn's emotional breakdown. (I'm not a Shinn hater (to AmuroNT1), and I think people miss the point about him and growth. He was such a passionate and damaged anti-hero that his story is meant to be a tragic warning--he leads to his own self-destruction more or less). Things were still stimulating the mind and emotions, even if not as much as they could have (and that was even while the animation got irksome).

In the meantime...
Spoiler
the stuff I love in 00, I LOVE. But its just so frustrating, because unlike the last quarter of heavy crumbling from Destiny, 00 has almost a whole season-and-a-quarter of annoyances that lead up to me not caring much about the end game, because it's so far removed from its original concept of mixing grounded reality and a handful of super-tech elements. So many of the characters have become just "bodies" in the battle, that I have no emotional attachment them or this super-powered feud. Season 2, especially following the first 3 or so episodes, felt like a super hero show more often than not. 1-15 of Season 1 was when the series was largely on track and at its best, and the subplot of the Flag Fighters and the closing episodes of Season 1 weren't bad, either. (the subplots, particularly the jarring presentation of the Trinities and awkward Saji/Louise stuff, caused some major hiccups in Season 1, though). I understand that you couldn't make Season 1 39 to 50 episodes in its current arrangement. But put some meat on the bones between the major events; can't Lockon get an episode devoted to him, where he gets to drive that car he has and encounters his brother in a compromising situation that relates to the "Secret Identities" thing that's brushed over in the series? Can't Graham get an episode devoted to his past, working in Billy and his father for what comes in Season 2? Maybe make the La Edenra (sp?) group more than a straightforward obstacle, giving them room to breathe and expanding more on Sachez's links to such networks as well as Laguna Harvey on-camera? It felt like cliff notes too often. The characters, good and bad, weren't given that breathing room to go off on their own and discover/explore the world's situations for themselves, like, say, the Wing pilots. Usually, case in point, you have something like Anew and Lockon, which is just crammed in--trying to make a character-building point without doing the proper investment ahead of time. That doesn't work half as well as something like Stella and Shinnn, where the tragedy really stings.

As you said, we'll probably get to this in Burke's posts (and give me a headache from the disappointments :( ) But let me just point out how threads in 00 were not handled with much care and were more like recurring non-sequiturs (these are merely a few):

*The total disregard for the Observers, killing them off-camera, despite half an episode being devoted to them and the Corner connection

*Graham Aker's subplot of killing his superior (which never mattered or was even explained in-show, particularly becoming irrelevant with the introduction of Mr. Bushido).

*the brilliant Professor Aifman, whom I liked alot, being wiped out before he really got to do much at all. And related to that:

*the subplot of Flags being upgraded to counter the Gundams, and then hardly getting any time to battle them (that'd be like Zechs getting Tallgeese, and then only meeting Heero once with it and swapping it for Wing Zero or Epyon in the course of a handful of episodes. Why?! :x );

...Those are just a few, I'll skip getting into Sachez and Laguna Harvey, etc, etc.

But thank you for listening to my point even if you don't agree. I appreciate you trying to understand where I'm coming from.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Kuruni

Burke Rukes wrote:If I were to rewrite the series, sure, I'd have Kira & Freedom and the Archangel around, but in a more supportive role, having the Minerva defect from ZAFT following an -earlier- roll-out of Durandal's "final solution" Destiny Plan (which I also feel was rushed and didn't get enough build-up and play-out), keeping the Minerva and its crew center stage as the main heroes.
Just have urge to put a note here :D . That's exactly how it's happen in Super Robot Wars L (and earlier Super Robot Wars Z, though it's only in one route and it's just Shinn and Luna who defect, at first).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Chris
Administrator

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:This goes into the realm of pure speculation (ie, making stuff up that has no basis in the animation), but I've always liked the idea that Neo is actually a clone. We already know that the Earth Alliance has the technology for both cloning and memory manipulation. Mu was one of OMNI's most celebrated pilots before he defected. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Mu was cloned, the clone was implanted with his memories (to make sure he's still the badass we all know any love), and then false memories as Neo were implanted over that (to make sure he remains loyal to the Earth Alliance). Farfetched, sure, but no more than the idea that Mu survived being positron'd a few yards from the Archangel without anyone aboard noticing.
I don't see how Neo could be a clone of Mu. He has memories of everything right up to his "death" including blocking that blast from the Dominion. If he died, I don't know how you'd harvest memories from a dead guy. And even if you did clone Mu and implant false memories, why put those facial scars there? To trick someone into thinking he survived? There also wouldn't be much point in letting a clone keep Mu's memories, because as we see, the Alliance's memory wiping technology isn't perfect. It certainly would reduce the cheapening of Mu's death if Neo was a clone, but it's equally as convoluted as his survival.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his