Gundam characters you're GLAD died

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Jake

Re: Gundam characters you're GLAD died

Loni Garvey, killing innocent civilians... :x
Cybaster

Reccoa Londe. Reccoa. Londe.

I really can't say this enough, but when your entire reason for actually defecting to the Titans of all factions was simply because Char Aznable was neglecting you, you're even worse than Katz. She was an attention-seeker that became bitter when neglected, she gambled the game by throwing her lot with Scirocco, and she ultimately lost in an ignoble death losing to the Gundam Mk. II. Emma was perfectly right: At least people will try to remember Katz for at least fumbling trying to do the right thing, but nobody will ever mourn or even remember Reccoa's death, and rightfully so.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Deathzealot

I agree. I actually liked Reccoa's character at first, but over time she started pissing me off. I can understand Emma defecting, but Reccoa was a slap to the face basically. All because Char didn't want to have a relationship with her. Gah!
HalfDemonInuyasha

Basically, she ended up degenerating from initially fighting for a noble cause to getting corrupted by her own selfishness. Actually, who's to say she was EVER truly fighting for the AEUG's cause and not simply for her own bursts of adrenaline, given her constant volunteering for more dangerous missions and such?
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Dark Duel

Jake wrote:Loni Garvey, killing innocent civilians... :x
Have to concur here.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
InjuredPelican

For death scenes that moved me:
1. Anavel Gato's last blaze of glory was amazing. With his dying breath he cleared a path for his Zeon allies to make it out alive.
2. I also think Dozel's death is very memorable, in a very creepy, eerie sort of way.
3. I liked the death of Calamity Gundam's pilot. Athrun, in his METEOR barely glances at the guy before instantly vaporizing him with his giant beam saber. Nothing like an unceremonious death.

Characters I was glad for their death:
1. Gyunei. The guy was a chump who used cruel tactics. His death had no fanfare, and he deserved it.
2. Sweatson, the fat pilot in Turn A Gundam. He was a pathetic, cruel person, with none of the skills to back up his bragging. His constant losses to turn A was nice, as was his death by simply pissing off his own commander, Gym.
3. Bask and Jamitov. I can never remember how they die, even after watching it recently, but they were incredibly evil men. Scirroco betraying and usurping their power was just icing on the cake.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
HalfDemonInuyasha

Bask was blasted away by Reccoa and the Palace Athena during the "chaos of battle" *obvious sarcasm* (lol) and Jamitov was simply shot by Scirocco, lol.

I think the death of Kamille's father was also another "glad it happened" death to me simply because of how much of a douche he was. He acted like he cared so much about Kamille and all when he was cheating on his wife (even when she knew it was going on) and not caring, and stealing a Rick Dias to bring back to the Titans just to try to boost his own position, and throughout that, only thought about the mistress. He barely even blinked when Kamille told him about the mother's death. =\
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Deathzealot

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:Bask was blasted away by Reccoa and the Palace Athena during the "chaos of battle" *obvious sarcasm* (lol) and Jamitov was simply shot by Scirocco, lol.

I think the death of Kamille's father was also another "glad it happened" death to me simply because of how much of a douche he was. He acted like he cared so much about Kamille and all when he was cheating on his wife (even when she knew it was going on) and not caring, and stealing a Rick Dias to bring back to the Titans just to try to boost his own position, and throughout that, only thought about the mistress. He barely even blinked when Kamille told him about the mother's death. =\
Honestly, I thought during that scene he didn't really believe Kamille for if I remember right he does mention something about the Titans not killing her or something like that. I have forgotten. Maybe some else can get the exact wording.
HalfDemonInuyasha

I think it was that he didn't know that he and his wife were being held as hostages to try to coerce Kamille into returning the Gundam Mark II and such.
xaos

Well, I remember being pretty darn happy when Sarah Zabiarov died. She annoyed me to no end in Zeta. HalfDemonInuyasha brought up Kamille's dad and that's another one I was glad that died. Felt bad for his mom but not his dad. He was pretty self absorbed to me. Didn't seem to care about anyone but his mistress.
Izayuukan

Let's face it. Tomino can't write characters for shit, so practically every single one ends up a douche, a punk or a complete moron. Sometimes all three.

Either way, it makes us all grateful when there's a death, because that's one less irritating character we have to endure.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Hey, Ryu wasn't any of those things; neither was Astonaige or Chan Agi or most of the Shrike Team or Tomino's many other short-lived characters.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
zerogradius

Izayuukan wrote:Let's face it. Tomino can't write characters for ZOINKS, so practically every single one ends up a douche, a punk or a complete moron. Sometimes all three.

Either way, it makes us all grateful when there's a death, because that's one less irritating character we have to endure.
Tomino has problems with dialouge at times, but he makes great characters, even the ones who are around just to die later.

Hmm...would Gym from Turn A Gundam count as a death? I'm still not sure what happened when he ended up in that cacoon thing with the Turn A and the Turn X.
ShadowCell

G-Slayer wrote:Hey, Ryu wasn't any of those things; neither was Astonaige or Chan Agi or most of the Shrike Team or Tomino's many other short-lived characters.
in all fairness, half the Shrike team was dead before we ever got to know them, so maybe they were a bunch of dicks too, who knows
HalfDemonInuyasha

It's hard to say in terms of Gym, especially considering how the Moonlight Butterfly is all nanomachines, so for all we know, he could end up living for as long as that cocoon is there through the nanomachines...or at least as long as the nanomachines remain active...
Android raptor

Giren Zabi- I'm not going to lie, he's one of my favorite characters in the franchise. But he's also a monster. No matter what I think Giren would've kept manipulating and hurting people until the day he died. That's just how he is, and his untimely death was a fate he brought on himself.

Char Aznable- for much the same reasons as Giren. Char was also a monster who'd been going further and further off the deep end and would most likely only continue to do so. I think even if he didn't meet his end at the end of CCA, he would've still ended up up dead by fault of his own arrogance.

Kyoji Kasshu- one for the "not deserved, just well-done" camp. Though to be fair, by the point of his demise there was little that could be done for him and he knew it. It was a mercy killing. He deserved to be put to rest instead of forced to continue on suffering for something that wasn't his fault. In his case, to keep living was a fate worse than death.

Bernie Wiseman- another one that wasn't deserved, just well-done. The whole point of Bernie's death was that he didn't deserve it. The whole point of the series was to show with brutal honesty how pointless and harmful war is. And if they'd pulled the punch with Bernie's fate I don't think that message would be nearly as powerful.

For everyone on Quess: if being a bratty, obnoxious 13 year-old is a crime deserving of death, then most of the people in the world be killed before their 14th birthday. Myself included. Sure she's not everyone's cup of tea, but she's a realistic depiction of what a kid her age and from her situation would act like. She's not a vapid blob of sugar and woob like many other young girls in anime. She's realistic, and I like that. Her purpose is to show the lengths Char is willing to go to accomplish his goal and emphasize just how morally bankrupt he's become. At least that's what I took from it.
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
Mu La Flaga

I think apart from what you mentioned.
Quess'es issues are on top of her personnality she does mannipulate or toy with 2-3 characters.
And wants to get close to Amuro and Char just because they are newtypes.

She was just very grating and also I disagree that every teen woman that age ends up being the same as that.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Mu La Flaga wrote:I think apart from what you mentioned.
Quess'es issues are on top of her personnality she does mannipulate or toy with 2-3 characters.
And wants to get close to Amuro and Char just because they are newtypes.

She was just very grating and also I disagree that every teen woman that age ends up being the same as that.
Yeah, it's not so much that it's dislike for the sake of disliking, but rather that we never really get any development or background on her that can really make us appreciate her character more besides just "she's a teenager".

I mean, as annoying as Katz could be, at least some of the time, his annoyance is understandable, like when he was all adamant about the AEUG not forming an alliance with Axis, despite the NEED for it, (and it's not like everyone else was all excited and eager for it either) due to his experiences on the White Base against Zeon in Mobile Suit Gundam; being under the impression that, and growing up with that impression, anything related to Zeon is bad or evil.
Android raptor

Quess makes perfect sense to me, then again I relate with her to frightening degrees. Her dad ignores her, her stepmom hates her and is emotionally abusive, she was basically raised by rich jackals. Of course she's going to be an ornery, bratty, immature, rebellious kid prone to clinging to an older man who's nice to her and acts as a "daddy" figure. I think the situation with Char is very comparable to predators who seek out lonely, vulnerable young girls for the purposes of exploiting them for sex. Not to say Char was having sex with her, but he used the same kind of techniques to get her and exploit her for his needs. And Quess, being a particularly immature 13 year-old with no role models to speak of, was putty in his hands. He's such a dastardly man and I think what he did with her makes that point wonderfully clear.

And if you guys think she's bad, I've been around kids that make her look tame. Even at her worst she's nothing compared to the kids who put puppies in ovens and rob people at gunpoint for shits and giggles. The only way I can believably see Quess doing anything like that is if Char told her to and she thought it would please him. She wouldn't just do stuff like that on her own, and I can't imagine she'd particularly like doing such things.
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
Mu La Flaga

I would say this much.
Quess I think is one of those girls she aint tame.
We see her at the start of the movie, runing from the Police with her friends.

Also give her a weapon, IE a a Mobile Suit and she has little trouble killing people.
So I think your claim on Quess doesn't quite hold true, she aint really that tame.

And as a sort of last note, well she wanted to hop in the pilot of a MS and see how she would do.
So again, not much to kind of prove the opposite about Quess.