Gundam characters you're GLAD died

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Raptor

Re: Gundam characters you're GLAD died

As awesomely brutal as Yazan was character death wise, when I thought Kamille had killed him, right after he offed Reccoa and led to Emma's death, I applauded Kamille. Of course Double Zeta had to prove me wrong, but seeing Yazan's fate there, reduced to a thoroughly destroyed and lame villain, it evens things out. Fate worse than death indeed.

Have to say I was glad to see the Trinity brothers go. Plus, Prince Ali slaughtering them so handily was awesome.

Abel Bauer's death is still one of my favorites. The guy gets in a fight with the Freeden, starts to lose, goes straight for Tiffa, Garrod beats him, the Abel escapes because his Newtype powers finally awaken. Just for the Frost Brothers to do him in, for that very reason. Guy never had a chance to begin with.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Scorpius7692

In an effort to not repeat any names already listed here, I wrote this up....

1. Reccoa Londe. She betrays everyone for rather vague reasons to join a rather obviously ruthless side, and even though she does the exact same things that appalled her earlier in the show, and cries about it because she knows that they are wrong, she doesn't do anything about it. Thank you Emma Sheen for offing this numbskull.

2. Those GM Pilots is MS IGLOO laughing at the Zudah after it took out two other GMs in a couple of seconds. Yeah. Laugh at the suit that is actually quite strong and badass. Sure, it falls apart when it goes too fast and overheats, but overheating is bad for any mechanical thingy anyway. (And, of course, they fell apart too. :lol:)

3. Gerard Garcia. They guy commanding Artemis in Gundam SEED. Not only arrogant, but a little too 'grabby' when it comes to young females. Thank you, Blitz Gundam.

4. Miguel Aiman. If you can't hit even a Gundam at point-blank with a BFG, then your even worse then Cagalli in SEED Destiny trying to fight the Ideon with a Zaku. Maybe that was a bit much, but still.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe more to come. Maybe.
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
SonicSP

I'm glad that Neil Lockon from 00 died, not because I hated him but because he died in an awesome way. And I guess its even more awesome when he did it when he wants to pursue revenge at all costs, where he could have survived if he just stayed stayed in Dynames and followed it and Haro back to Celestial Being (and he was doing great against Ali too before Daryl damaged Dynames and revealed Neil's handicap). The best part was that his sacrifice didn't even kill Ali, which gave Lyle his turn later to kill Ali without being as vengeful or vindictive as Neil was, a successor to his brother's more "at all costs" ways I guess (and gave Setsuna a pathway not to follow I guess with his supposed ghost in Setsuna's mind telling Setsuna not to follow him).

And I guess, Neil also become a matyr focal point for Celestial Being I guess. That was also nice.

I also liked Andrei's death in Trailblazer. I hated him in S2 but I couldnt do that anymore in the movie I guess after what Trans-Am Burst made him realize at the end of S2. His death wasn't a big focal point, but I thought it was a nice heroic Trans-Am induced death.

I'm also glad that Ribbons, Hilling, Liu Mei and Lindt died, always found them annoying. Also enjoyed General Kim's death in the movie a bit, for selling Sergei out for a promotion in A-LAWS in S2.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:She did but for some reason I feel sorry for her. :?
So did I actually, as much as I hated what she did to Louise's family. Oh, her monologue in the novel before she killed Louise's family would likely make people hate her even more I guess.
Antares

Humm, my only one would've been Yuna, but that's already been said quite a many times.

I've rarely seen a bad guy I "wanted dead", mostly because having them cling to life and be the evil bastids was their whole point. There have been characters I've been glad to see die due to dramatic effect or moving the plot forward, and Stellar and Mwu fit into that description. However, each time the death of dragged out, is loses some of its impact.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Ouroboric

Steller's death was sad, but she really was one of the weakest characters I've seen in a Gundam show, making me kind of glad she bit the dust,she was like if Four was a 2 year old girl, and the three hundred flashbacks of it happening lessened the impact allot.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
kayone73

Not that I'm glad for anyone's death...but Arthur in F91 (the kid who's neck got broken early one), it was sadly the only death in that film with any real gravitas (mother & child death was just comical). Death's of the main characters were pretty meh.
Jake

SonicSP wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:She did but for some reason I feel sorry for her. :?
So did I actually, as much as I hated what she did to Louise's family. Oh, her monologue in the novel before she killed Louise's family would likely make people hate her even more I guess.
Why do you feel sorry for her? What exactly did she say in the novel?
Raiden

Scorpius7692 wrote:
3. Gerard Garcia. They guy commanding Artemis in Gundam SEED. Not only arrogant, but a little too 'grabby' when it comes to young females. Thank you, Blitz Gundam.
Actually he didn't die, he appears in the Astray manga and X Astray. Yes they are manga but yea hes still there.
Scorpius7692

Scorpius7692 wrote:

Actually he didn't die, he appears in the Astray manga and X Astray. Yes they are manga but yea hes still there.
Oh. Huh. I'll have to read these manga to se if he's improved since I last saw him.
AmuroNT1

He doesn't. In Astray he hires Gai to attack ships that approach Artemis in order to maintain its legend of invincibility even after the lightwave barrier is destroyed. When Lowe shows up, Garcia decides to steal the Astray and hand it over to the Alliance to regain face, ordering Gai to capture it and holding Elijah at gunpoint to force him to do so.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
ShadowCell

And in X ASTRAY he tries to turn the Hyperion project into his meal ticket, but once the Eurasian Federation starts getting technology from the Atlantic, they cancel the Hyperion and Garcia tries to arrest Canard, the Hyperion's pilot, for...some reason.

As far as I know, Artemis is never seen again in Cosmic Era works, so there's no word on what eventually happens to him.
Scorpius7692

Well, dang it all, someone needs to off him. Maybe I could write a fanfic about it...
burgerseatbright

Patrick Zala. We get it, Patrick. Your wife died! Great way to start a genocidal campaign!

My ears will never be the same because of all his screeching about his dead wife. No, I didn't find him sympathetic. It's hard to feel for a Gihren Zabi ripoff with such a flimsy "motivation" tacked on to make us feel he's ~*tragic*~.

Murata Azrael can stay space dust for all I care too. He's like the psychopathic manchild hidden in the depths of Walmart aisles screaming for candy.

I cheered when Kira appeared to be dead. Too bad it didn't last.
Last edited by burgerseatbright on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell

i, um, don't think we were supposed to sympathize with Patrick Zala
burgerseatbright

ShadowCell wrote:i, um, don't think we were supposed to sympathize with Patrick Zala
There are people who do though. I've had the misfortune of meeting them.

And of course it doesn't help that the franchise itself beats this information into you every chance it gets.
Jaynz

burgerseatbright wrote:There are people who do though. I've had the misfortune of meeting them.
They're called 'maniacs' or 'psychopaths'. I generally give such people's opinions the weight of what they're worth - not much.
And of course it doesn't help that the franchise itself beats this information into you every chance it gets.
I think it's just trying to explain why Zala is a complete and utter ass-hat. It's not really trying to get you to sympathize, but more to explain his 'self-justification' for turning into a complete maniac hell-bent on wiping out all of humanity through his sheer raving lunacy. In other words, the writer is trying to making this Super-Friends villain somehow more credible.
burgerseatbright

Jaynz wrote:They're called 'maniacs' or 'psychopaths'. I generally give such people's opinions the weight of what they're worth - not much.
Actually they were fangirls who believed he needed more cuddles to feel better about himself.
Jaynz wrote:I think it's just trying to explain why Zala is a complete and utter ass-hat. It's not really trying to get you to sympathize, but more to explain his 'self-justification' for turning into a complete maniac hell-bent on wiping out all of humanity through his sheer raving lunacy. In other words, the writer is trying to making this Super-Friends villain somehow more credible.
Which is why I found him annoying in the first place. He had a flimsy excuse for his "motivations" accompanied by melodramatic music that made it all seem more laughable than dark and tragic. It's just poor writing that belongs on All My Children.
Jaynz

burgerseatbright wrote:Actually they were fangirls who believed he needed more cuddles to feel better about himself.
Fangirls have a universe all their own. It doesn't matter how terrible, despicable, and awful someone is, if they're at all 'cute' in any way, shape, or form, they're suddenly 'fangirl bait'. Makes so little sense to me...
Which is why I found him annoying in the first place. He had a flimsy excuse for his "motivations" accompanied by melodramatic music that made it all seem more laughable than dark and tragic. It's just poor writing that belongs on All My Children.
It's really hard to write someone THAT nihilistic without them turning into a bad Disney villian. It can be done, though, but the effect would be creepy as hell. A man who becomes THAT divorced from what he's doing loses his emotional bearings completely ... they turn to 'stone', not maniacal. Can you imagine the same scenes where Zala's emotions are just GONE and he's doing this because it really is his cold calculation because he's put his humanity away for the 'cause' at that point?

Still, since the character was a putz with a joystick trigger... he qualifies as a 'glad he finally died' moment for me. He doesn't beat Katz, though. No one does.
burgerseatbright

Jaynz wrote:Can you imagine the same scenes where Zala's emotions are just GONE and he's doing this because it really is his cold calculation because he's put his humanity away for the 'cause' at that point?

Still, since the character was a putz with a joystick trigger... he qualifies as a 'glad he finally died' moment for me. He doesn't beat Katz, though. No one does.
Who said anything about the emotions being completely erased? I just would have preferred him not screaming every time he enters a scene.

Although that could give rise to a casplock community...

In any case, I clapped when he died because it meant I didn't have to hear any more of his whining.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, the officer shooting him was his way of saying, "WILL YOU SHUT THE <BLEEP!!!> UP ALREADY!?!?!?!?!" XD

I mean...the only reason he seemed to be elected as the new chairman over keeping Clyne was simply BECAUSE of his "more action against Naturals" as opposed to diplomacy like Clyne wanted. That and/or he probably bribed, threatened, etc other people given how he is.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet