Broken Blade

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NastyNate

Broken Blade

I was browsing ngee khiong the other day and came across this post
http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... eased.html

I have never heard of this anime and after watching a quick youtube video and reading up on wikipidia. I was wondering if any of you knew whether this is worth getting into?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Turinu

Re: Broken Blade

If you like a bit of fantasy with your mecha, then it's all good. Even though the explanation behind how their tech works equates to magic, they still keep it pretty realistic. The combat is nice and realistic (For mecha) as well. It might have a tad bit of fan service at a scene or two, but it doesn't exactly go out of its way to show stuff off.

All in all, its got a nice story and background to it. The movie has been pretty true to the manga so far, so I don't think it really matters which one you start off with, but if you're gonna watch the movie you might as well try picking up the manga as well. Both are great in my opinion.
reeoyuy

Sorry for bumping old thread, but this title is still on-going. I hope it's not against the rules.

So, anyone following this? It's up to 4th volume now for BD/DVD and (IIRC) 6th volume already hit the theater. I just re-start watching it recently. Not really impressed with the 1st so I neglected it for a while.

Anyway, copy-paste my comment from another thread:
I'll hold my judgment until I see all of them but this one is getting better. Delphine got another upgrade again, but not much action for Rygart this time. This episode focused on the battle, and less academy flashback; can't complain on that. Borcruse is scary, and Girge is unpredictable. And Nike is just another psychopathic girl. I still feel that being a movie, Break Blade is not that outstanding but still worth to watch.
quasadra

been following the manga and movie. and i have only one complain, the pacing is quite slow. as long as you are not expecting anything to be explained, treat it as a war story between Athens and Krishna and you will be fine. but the pacing problem is not as noticeable if you watch the movie though.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
reeoyuy

Exactly, I wasn't impressed with the first movie because of the slow pacing. It's acceptable for a weekly TV series but not for something that released every few months. With just two more movies to go I'm not sure if they can cram the whole story in. I gave in to my curiosity and read the manga after I watched 4th movie. There's a lot to cover and I'm afraid some of event will be left out.
But as long as main story resolved, I'm OK with some questions left unanswered. Like origin of Delphine or Rygart-Sigynt relationship. I don't even care if Zess won't make any appearance again.
Destiny_Gundam

Each movie adapts 1 volume of the manga, which is why most of them end on cliffhangers. It's extremely faithful to the manga's story, though I'm not a fan of how they modified the female character designs. The movies are going to end with volume 6, so I can't really say what sort of conclusion they'll have.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Thermolysis

I started watching this many months ago. Thanks to Reeo for bumping.

The tactics and details during battles caught my attention. It's worth watching for that. Also a general high production value.

I also found the cast of characters to be unorthodox, which was refreshing.

The story reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy 12. The Japanese just love portraying innocent outcast-nations caught between two major powers.

For some reason the series doesn't really move me. It's an exercise. Maybe that's due to the pacing problems that other people have noted.
This machine has undergone numerous refinements.
Gatx

Shori wrote:If you like a bit of fantasy with your mecha, then it's all good. Even though the explanation behind how their tech works equates to magic, they still keep it pretty realistic. The combat is nice and realistic (For mecha) as well. It might have a tad bit of fan service at a scene or two, but it doesn't exactly go out of its way to show stuff off.
They call it magic but I think its fairly realistic, more sci-fi than fantasy. Their magic is just being able to cause a reaction in a certain material, so applied to their technology, the person himself serves as the engine for vehicles and what not. And they do kind of have a real mecha in there mixing it up with the magic ones, which is kind of cool. Like a Gundam vs. Escaflowne type of thing.

I followed the manga for a while but not the anime. It's one of the few things that I get into through the manga first, and I never realized how weird it was to have everything suddenly be in color, especially the yellow ones.
Thermolysis

Gatx wrote:Their magic is just being able to cause a reaction in a certain material, so applied to their technology, the person himself serves as the engine for vehicles and what not.
And as Niven said...
This machine has undergone numerous refinements.
Zeonista

This sereies is doing very well. The anime is not only faithful to the manga, but complements it in the mecha battles by excellently adapting the mecha battles to a pseudo-3D presentation.For a good example of this, see movie #2 where Rygarto spins Derflinge on its own giant sword to evade fire and riposte. As good as the scene is in the manga, the animation makes it a true B) moment. The production values are high, but don't get in the way of the story (stares hard at Avatar). It's nice to have a top-notch mecha show that's not Gundam or Macross labeled already.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Calubin_175

I have to say this mecha anime production has exhibited the best gravity based mecha battle choreography and physics thus far. Not only that, the battle damage on 2D anime mechs is also a rarity.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I just saw episode 3, pretty cool the only strange thing is the Queen and the 12 year old girl she keeps in her room
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Anaheim Electronics

Very beautiful anime with nice soundtrack, but the pace is too slow and 50min is quite little, Should have been a regular 22min over an ave. 26 episodes.
reeoyuy

So Episode 5 is already available, and I heard that the 6th is leaked but I haven't check that one.

As it is, this episode is a really good to watch. The animation and music is awesome, and the pacing and story flow is much better than earlier. However, if I have to compare it with manga version....I have mixed feeling. While the outcome is pretty much the same, the events are entirely different. I can understand that they need to cram all those plot into one episode, and it's a good thing we have an alternate, compact version of the story. BUT, I can't help to think that they shouldn't change or cut several things from the manga since those things have impact on story and characters. Things like
Spoiler
-Girge execution by Borcruse is a life-changing experience for Rygart, and cemented his hatred for Borcruse. This shouldn't change. If they want to replace Girge with Rygart's brother, they should have scene where Borcruse personally slain Rygart's brother (and other villagers for lulz).
-Narvi is the one who killed Nike in manga, which is more fitting end for them.
-Loggins and Nile look pretty much dead in the anime. I prefer them to be alive as they have role later on.
-This one doesn't affect the story that much, but personally I want to see Girge taking on an entire squad of elite Athens by himself, using crippled Artemis. That was his best act. But yeah, time and budget limitation.
Destiny_Gundam

If some one ever wants to watch something with realistically portrayed mechs, this is the title to go with. The way the mecha move, the way the ground cracks every time they shift their weight, the pieces of armor flying off when they get hit... It's all just so amazingly animated.

This movie does deviate from the manga, but it's to set up the 6th movie which will have an anime original ending. If the changes are all for making a satsifying conclusion, I have no problems with them.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chavelo

I was pleasantly surprised by this anime. Just the quality of the action makes it worth a watch. I was a little worried when the amply endowed Queen appeared, I didn't want to watch another mecha anime that cared more about "bounce" physics, then the combat physics. I wish we could get more non-gundam mecha anime like this ;(
NastyNate

Is Broken Blade the same show as Break Blade?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Chris
Administrator

NastyNate wrote:Is Broken Blade the same show as Break Blade?
Yes. No one can exactly decide what the English title should be.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I just finshed the last episode

didn't like the ending at all, anyone else think that?
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
reeoyuy

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:I just finshed the last episode

didn't like the ending at all, anyone else think that?
Yes. I've watched the leaked version and holding back my thoughts until I can watch BD version but honestly, I prefer manga version. Well I haven't read past chapter 51 so I don't know the manga ending yet but compared to anime, the final battle of Binonten is much better. Wait, screw that, it's "Siege of Binonten" since it lasted for weeks in manga and I love that, siege battle is so medieval and rarely seen in conflict involving giant robots. And also
Spoiler
Rygart vs Borcruse battle in anime is a disappointment compared to manga version. And I like how Rygart is having more mental breakdown (that expression on my avatar) as if he is a "broken blade" himself.
Animation and music is still good as usual, at least I will enjoy that in HD.