Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 pm 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Yeah i must say, if Haman had say 5 more of those Quebely's at her disposal at that point of the war, Axis could of wiped out the Titans and AEUG no problem.Funnels are just way too awesome of a weapon, good luck trying to figure out those patterns if your not a Newtype.Char was too busy being a politician to justify a mobile suit upgrade i guess, and even the Zeta was a bit lacking in comparison to some of the Titans MS and the Quebely come the final battle.

Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:07 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Man I am a bit disheartened by peoples opinions coming back to this thread. My comments earlier in the thread were from my fond decade old memories of zeta, and now that I'm at 39 in the re-watch I'm more dumbfounded.

First off, what is are basis for comparison when levying these criticisms. If your comparing the dialogue to Wes Anderson films that's fine, but I have been in a bit of a mass consumption of Gundam since re-immersing myself the past couple months. I think the characters are still among the most compelling compared to what I've seen of seed (only first 7 episodes) and my recent watch of Wing subtitled (which while enjoyable started to get pretty boring around episode 30).

I have not seen 00 so perhaps those battles just went ahead and made all others look obsolete, but I am thoroughly enjoying most of the fights. I agree with the sentiments that they are a bit more realistic and it is usually a handful of MS squaring off in a semi realistic manner. Amuro chopping the Mobile Armors arm off is bad ass, the hyper bazooka launcher, all the times we actually see suits DAMAGED!

After watching the Gundams in Wing just stand there and eat non stop bullets/beams (even MSG is guilty to a much smalller degree on occasion) watching back and forth encounters where everything actually counts is refreshing.

The episode when Char gives the speech on TV, and they show the Titans fighting in the city is amazing.

this still came across as jumbled thoughts, and not nearly as elegant as I'd hoped. That being said I really like show, and from my current re-watch I feel it is truly more than ever deserving of it's reputation and legacy.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Mecha Flunky

Andrew86 wrote:
Man I am a bit disheartened by peoples opinions coming back to this thread. My comments earlier in the thread were from my fond decade old memories of zeta, and now that I'm at 39 in the re-watch I'm more dumbfounded.

Dude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it shouldn't come as a surprise when there are people out there whose opinions differ from your own. You clearly enjoyed Zeta, that's awesome and more power to you, but I'm one of those people who simply can't see what's supposed to be so good about the show.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here and I hope you won't take this as some kind of personal insult, but I've honestly got to say that out of all the Gundam shows and OVA's that I've seen so far, Zeta is by far the worst. The only one that's come close is Seed, but even that I found to be more entertaining (intentional or not) than Zeta.

I've already talked about how much I disliked pretty much all of the characters (with a few exceptions here and there), so much so in fact that I could barely bring myself to feel anything but apathy when they started dropping like flies at the very end. The pacing was almost painfully dull at times, I knew things were happening on the screen but most of the time it just felt like meaningless filler to pad out the episodes.

I guess one of the reasons why I seem so angry with Zeta is because ever since I got into Gundam with 00 (a show which I for the record have pretty much nothing but love for), everywhere I went people seemed to have nothing but good things to say about it. Of course I got hyped and went into it with really high expectations, because wasn't this the show which everyone hailed as the best thing that Gundam had to offer? The show which turned pretty much all the other shows to crap by comparison?

Let's just say that I wasn't really all that impressed with it once I was done with it.

Look. I don't outright hate the show, not at all. It had its share of memorable moments, some truly great mecha designs and the animation (while somewhat crude by today's standards) was really topnotch for its time. But all in all, I guess all I can say is that Zeta simply is not for me. Do I regret watching it? Not at all, because it did prove to be a quite a learning experience for me and at the very least gave me some necessary backstory for future Gundam stories.

I really hope there's no hard feelings and I would hate to have people think I'm some kind of obnoxious, know-it-all little upstart, because that's not at all who I am. I simply wanted to share my opinion about a show that managed to bring an emotional response out of me. It may not have been a positive one, but a response none the less.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:14 am 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Different people look for different things in shows, and certain things will annoy people that others will love. For example, one thing i love about Zeta is the fact that the people seem like the same flawed people I've known my whole life, the emotional instability and irrationality, along with the high idealism getting stomped out by reality really hit a chord with me. The fact that i can count the people who i would of considered "good" on two hands is part of what drew me to the show. Were other people who have been surrounded by kind people, and have a more generous view on human good would find the characters unrealistic and be unable to sympathize with them, calling it "unnecessarily dark". I can't sympathize with Kira with Seed, because to me he is just "coordinator Jesus, who cries too much", he doesn't seem real to me, i can relate and empathize with a jerk like Jerid from Zeta over him any day.

Another thing with Zeta is that allot of it is much more subtle when it comes to the character development, and it's better to watch large episode chunks. Reccoca's eventual betrayal was being built up from very early on in the series(for one example), and you have to be extremely mindfull of what has already happened to really get the full picture of it. Were something like Seed for example would use more flash backs, clip shows and obvious statements to move along the character development, and remind us of what has been going on.

Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 am 
Determined Shonen Hero

Ouroboric wrote:
Seed for example would use more flash backs, clip shows and obvious statements to move along the character development, and remind us of what has been going on.

flashbacks are a useful enough plot device for this kind of thing when used SPARINGLY
This is something I find INTENSELY annoying about Seed: flashbacks are massively overused. On multiple occasions, a conversation will take place, and within five minutes, somebody or another will have a flashback to that same conversation that just happened.
Another example: Nicol's death. The very next episode, we get a flashback to Nicol's death no fewer than three times over the course of ten minutes.
Now, there are a few cases in the series wherein flashbacks ARE used to great effect. But mostly they're massively overused. A flaw that few other shows, Z Gundam included, had.

"Outer Space has a bad habit of sending menacing objects to Earth"

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:49 am 
HiMAT Spammer

I'm more of the mid-ground when it comes to Zeta, although maybe it's come off as otherwise here (which tends to happen when I discuss something that everybody in a discussion finds incredible and I find merely mediocre). Zeta's plot is good, I just find its presentation flawed, and find it generally unengaging to watch. But I think there's a fundamental disconnect between fans and non-fans, here; everything's coming down to opinion. People either find the fights boring or enrapturing; they find the characters alienating or extremely resonant. I think it may have to be an "agree to disagree" thing, because nothing can be decided on an actual flaw or strength of the series. You know when you experience something, and you know something's bad/good about it, but in the long run it's how much you care about that particular feature that decides how much it affects your opinion of the whole? That doesn't seem to be happening here. I never thought Zeta, of all things, would be so divisive a series.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:11 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Andrew86 wrote:

First off, what is are basis for comparison when levying these criticisms. If your comparing the dialogue to Wes Anderson films that's fine, but I have been in a bit of a mass consumption of Gundam since re-immersing myself the past couple months. I think the characters are still among the most compelling compared to what I've seen of seed (only first 7 episodes) and my recent watch of Wing subtitled (which while enjoyable started to get pretty boring around episode 30).

I have not seen 00 so perhaps those battles just went ahead and made all others look obsolete, but I am thoroughly enjoying most of the fights. I agree with the sentiments that they are a bit more realistic and it is usually a handful of MS squaring off in a semi realistic manner. Amuro chopping the Mobile Armors arm off is bad ass, the hyper bazooka launcher, all the times we actually see suits DAMAGED!

After watching the Gundams in Wing just stand there and eat non stop bullets/beams (even MSG is guilty to a much smalller degree on occasion) watching back and forth encounters where everything actually counts is refreshing.

The episode when Char gives the speech on TV, and they show the Titans fighting in the city is amazing.

this still came across as jumbled thoughts, and not nearly as elegant as I'd hoped. That being said I really like show, and from my current re-watch I feel it is truly more than ever deserving of it's reputation and legacy.

No reason to get miffed, Zeta Gundam is obviously successful and whatever anyone thinks of it it's undeniable that without it Gundam as a franchise would be in a weaker place. Personal opinion is just that, personal. I can't get my head around why people like SEED but whatever, they can watch that I can watch other stuff. That's one of the Gundam franchises strongest points; love it or hate it there is a version of Gundam out to appeal to a large set of fans in its different incarnations. So if you don't like a particular series you can just find one you love.

Take solace in that I showed the original MSG movies and the Zeta series to 2 friends(25 year olds) and they loved the hell out of it. The reaction after each viewing session was just "Why is this show so frigging amazing". It was a blast.

As for 00 I enjoy it but imo the action while better then SEED just on virtue of non-recycled animation and a much faster pace a lot of it devolves into the Gundams just blasting through grunts like butter. But that's bolstered because 00 has some really awesome designs and some of the fights do let the suits show off but I dunno I always wished they were longer. That could just be my Graham fanboyism though ;)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm 
Cardboard Leo Ace

Ouroboric wrote:
Another thing with Zeta is that allot of it is much more subtle when it comes to the character development, and it's better to watch large episode chunks. Reccoca's eventual betrayal was being built up from very early on in the series(for one example), and you have to be extremely mindfull of what has already happened to really get the full picture of it. .

I agree 100%!

I was by no means offended at all, I was just genuinely surprised that some people got so little out of it.

edit: reading some opinions on the battles. First I think Char was anything but a chump in the final battle. He is getting attacked from both sides by two incredible pilots with far superior suits, and he still manages to somewhat hold his own.

I think Scirroco vs Haman was an awesome battle as well. Seeing him sense the funnels is an awesome scene, and a testament to him as a pilot. Maybe I'm biased but I also find it exciting whenever Amuro enters the fray in a MS. When he saves Kamille by slicing that one suits arm off is very cool. Perhaps I am looking for something different, but I don't want to see a bunch of fancy maneuvers and slick moves in the battles. That is the kind of ZOINKS that can take you out of the drama. Hyaku Shiki blowing away like 30 Gaza Cs with the Mega Bazooka launcher was very cool though. As is Haman and Kamilles newtype acid trip scenes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga