Fate/Zero

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Fate/Zero

I actually haven't watched it yet. I'm behind on a lot of things.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Compass

Each new episode is crazier and crazier than the last one. This episode is a change of pace from the storyline but clears up quite a bit of stuff.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Holy crap.

I.........have to organize my thoughts on this latest episode. :shock:
Shinji103

And some unilateral butt-screwing on Kariya this week. I think you got outdone, Kiritsugu.

I don't blame him for what he did at all, though. It's bad enough the bugs inside him have screwed up his head, but Aoi blamed him for a bunch of stuff that wasn't even his fault besides Tokiomi, who he didn't actually kill, anyway.

What's worse is this may not have happened at all if he hadn't been the gentleman and keep his peace, letting Aoi marry Tokiomi. If Kariya had convinced her to be with him this could have all been avoided, but now he has essentially been defeated by his own kindness.
Destiny_Gundam

Now that we're in the end game, the series is really hurting because of how slow of the earlier episodes were. The real important stuff happens now, but they're getting glossed rather quickly due to lack of time. The show would be a lot better without these pacing issues.
Compass

I liked Waver and Rider a lot. It's nice that Gilgamesh allowed Waver live in respect for Rider's order that he live on.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Destiny_Gundam

Heh, of course the real reason Waver lived is because he's a pre-established character in the Type Moon universe. If it were up to Gen, Waver would have died horribly too because that's how Gen rolls. He doesn't believe in anyone getting happy endings normally.
Destiny_Gundam

Wow, they COMPLETELY neutered the Berserker storyline.

Man this finale is failing is so many ways. There's still some coolness to be seen but man did they screw up this adaptation.
Sulendil Zeta

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Wow, they COMPLETELY neutered the Berserker storyline.

Man this finale is failing is so many ways. There's still some coolness to be seen but man did they screw up this adaptation.
Yeah, the adaptation of the climax of Fate/Zero is seriously lacking. The episode is too rushed, cutting corners here and there to compress it to a single episode. And since there is at least 2 episodes left, I kinda wondering why they needed to even do so at the first place.
Destiny_Gundam

The problem really lies with the first half: they spent too much time on the set up and dealing with Caster and now they're in a rush to fit everything into the remaining time. The defeat of Caster should have been the end of episode 13 rather than ending it on a cliffhanger.
Dark Duel

Compass wrote:I liked Waver and Rider a lot. It's nice that Gilgamesh allowed Waver live in respect for Rider's order that he live on.
For all his faults (and they are many), Gilgamesh of all people is one who understands and respects loyalty. As intensely as I hate him, even I will give him credit there.
Also, from their various interactions I got the feeling that Broskander the Gar was really the only one of the Servants whom Gilgamesh respected.
But yeah, I also liked that he did that.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Compass

This episode managed to break my mind. However, Saber vs. Berserker was pretty lamesauce.
Destiny_Gundam

Okay, they did manage to redeem themselves a bit at the end with Saber having a flashback to Lancelot's final words. That scene really should have been in the previous episode, though.

Waver had a nice epilouge scene, but for everyone else it felt kinda glossed over. Really could have done with some more interal monolouge to explain why certain things are happening. Like Kiritsugu realising the grail is evil and needs to be destroyed, or how Kirei was trying to get a reaction out of Rin. I know this stuff because I have outside information but anyone new to this will probably be lost.

As a whole, the series did suffer from pacing issues. The first half was too slow and the second half rushed too much. I'll definitely take FSN over Zero any day and I'm glad I bailed on buying that box set.

I'm not sure if I want ufotable to do Heaven's Feel anymore, though... Well at this point I just want someone to do it!
Compass

I'm going to go watch Unlimited Blade Works again. The wrap-up was semi-nice, but UGH it feels weird watching the prequel knowing what's going to happen.

I must send my friend to watch it from Zero first and see if he likes it better and then watching SN.
Destiny_Gundam

I wouldn't, since Zero spoils a lot of stuff from FSN. Zero runs on the assumption that you're familiar with FSN already.
Compass

Is there that much spoiled?

The only thing we really see, to my knowledge, is:

A. Ilya is Kiritsugu's daughter.
B. The grail is evil.
C. Kotomine Kirei is evil.
D. Gilgamesh survives.
E. Azoth dagger is ironic.

Does that really ruin the experience? IMO, I would probably have thought watching it like that, while answering some questions, raises others O_o
Destiny_Gundam

Saber is King Arthur is the most important one.
Shinji103

I actually like how they moved Lancelot's final words to this episode. While the conclusion to Berserker and Saber's battle did feel a bit underhwelming, using that scene for this episode made the scene in this episode feel far more powerful.

Kotomine, you sadistic freak. That scene where he handed his Azoth Dagger to Rin was perfect.

I "WTF-ed a bit at Aoi having actually survived. (though not entirely) It makes me blame Kariya even less. Not that I really blamed him in the first place, though. It was clearly the worms in him that drove him so nuts in the first place.

Poor Kariya definitely didn't deserve any of what he got, though. All of what happened to him and Aoi can be traced back to him keeping his peace and letting Aoi marry Tokiomi. If he had fought harder to win her love, he may have actually gotten her to change her mind and choose him. But he thought Aoi would be happier with the man she chose, so he gave up for the sae of her happiness. If he had just changed that outcome, a good deal would have been changed here. Maybe not for Tokiomi's children, whoever they would have been if Aoi hadn't birthed them, but at least two kind people, Kariya and Aoi, may not have had to suffer. Of course, if Aoi hadn't married Tokiomi then there may not have been two Tohsaka children anyway. A whole lot of suffering can be traced back to Kariya being the gentleman and not wanting to make Aoi suffer from a war for her love. Even worse, Aoi never even realized the fact that he loved her and gave up his own happiness for her sake.
Yes, I find Kariya's story to be the most tragic.

I just wish they could have brought Shiro's VA back to do his voice in that last scene for nostalgia, but oh well.
Destiny_Gundam

Why would they? That was kid Shiro, not teen Shiro.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Why would they? That was kid Shiro, not teen Shiro.
I know, I know. :P But like I said, for nostagia's sake.