The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
schwarz ritter

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

schwarz ritter wrote:
Spoiler
She doesn't deserve to die: in my opinion, Fukui did that because he was making a rushed ending, and it was a cheap move to add what I call cheap melodrama.
Spoiler
Did Bernie "deserve" to die? Did Ramba Ral? "Deserving" has nothing to do with it. When people fight, when the stakes are this high, somebody is bound to die and some of those dead are bound to be good people. Marida is also one of Gundam's tragic cyber-Newtypes, a character archetype; I hardly call it "cheap melodrama" if she is written as a likable character so that her tragedy has an actual impact on the audience. In fact, I call that "good writing".
[/quote]

In all honesty, Bernie and Ramba DID
Spoiler
deserve to die
: they chose to fight by their own will. Besides, Ramba isn't a "saint" as everyone wants to paint him: he fought at Loum, didn't he? If he did, then he was one of the many "aces" that destroyed countless Side 5 colonies. Not to mention his Earth campaigns...
Its like those guys who say that
Spoiler
"Amuro and Char deserve a happy ending"
Char and Amuro certainly
Spoiler
DO NOT deserve a "happy ending": they both killed tons of people, ***ched about Lalah every time they met, and their rivarly nearly caused the end of humanity. So much for "protecting the Earth".
On the other hand:
Spoiler
Marida was born without parents; had her "sisters" (the other clones) taken away from her; violated by men; rendered childless; and forced into war by her "Masters" (including Suberoa). She kills because that's what they make her do. And it is indeed tragic. But IMHO, its enough tragedy for her poor character.
I'm just saying: give her an effing break. That's all I ask.

ShadowCell wrote:Not only that, but these are fictional characters, not people in the sense of you and I. And the likes of Daguza and Gilboa aren't even the main character. They live and die as required by the plot, by the themes, by the message, by the character arcs, and by the main character's development.

A better question to ask is, what would you get if you spared those characters?
You just made me feel ashamed of myself: I'm being overly-melodramatic myself.
But when you know personally know someone who has been abused, you hope they can get over it and, most importantly...LIVE ON.

But yeah, I get your point. I'll be have a cooler head from now on ;)

Amadi Akintunde wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:because, to the eyes of the Japanese, she's "damaged goods" due to her inability to have children. That and the reasons I posted previously.
There's irony in this

Somewhere
Care to explain, please?
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Deacon Blues

Forced into war by him? Quite the contrary. He rescued her from the horrible surroundings that she was in. It's more of a repayment to him than anything.
schwarz ritter

If he had REALLY cared for her, he would've left her with some peaceful family in the colonies. Instead, he allowed her to continue piloting, which eventually led to her death. Besides, this "repayment" would've been better had she lived: after all, wasn't the whole point of rescuing her from slavery to make up for not protecting his actual daughter? IMHO, HE should've sacrificed himself instead, not her.

How he would've sacrificed himself, however, is beyond me.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Deacon Blues

Um... that makes no sense whatsoever. He should have sacrificed himself in order for her to have a better life... which consequently she probably wouldn't have given that she'd feel horrible that he died in the process trying to save her. Riiiiight. Either way, her character was created as such. If you really have an issue, why don't you try writing a sad sob story letter to the author, Harutoshi Fukui?
zetatype

schwarz ritter wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:
Spoiler
She doesn't deserve to die: in my opinion, Fukui did that because he was making a rushed ending, and it was a cheap move to add what I call cheap melodrama.
Spoiler
Did Bernie "deserve" to die? Did Ramba Ral? "Deserving" has nothing to do with it. When people fight, when the stakes are this high, somebody is bound to die and some of those dead are bound to be good people. Marida is also one of Gundam's tragic cyber-Newtypes, a character archetype; I hardly call it "cheap melodrama" if she is written as a likable character so that her tragedy has an actual impact on the audience. In fact, I call that "good writing".
schwarz ritter wrote: In all honesty, Bernie and Ramba DID
Spoiler
deserve to die
: they chose to fight by their own will. Besides, Ramba isn't a "saint" as everyone wants to paint him: he fought at Loum, didn't he? If he did, then he was one of the many "aces" that destroyed countless Side 5 colonies. Not to mention his Earth campaigns...
Its like those guys who say that
Spoiler
"Amuro and Char deserve a happy ending"
Char and Amuro certainly
Spoiler
DO NOT deserve a "happy ending": they both killed tons of people, ***ched about Lalah every time they met, and their rivarly nearly caused the end of humanity. So much for "protecting the Earth".
On the other hand:
Spoiler
Marida was born without parents; had her "sisters" (the other clones) taken away from her; violated by men; rendered childless; and forced into war by her "Masters" (including Suberoa). She kills because that's what they make her do. And it is indeed tragic. But IMHO, its enough tragedy for her poor character.
I'm just saying: give her an effing break. That's all I ask.
Err...well while I agree that most of those characters don't necessarily "deserve" to live, I don't see why the opposite would be true either. Saying that some deserves to die, IMO, implies that they have done something very evil, like murdering innocent civilians, and show no remorse about doing it or even enjoy it. I don't see why soliders like Amuro, Bernie, or Ramba Ral derserve to die just for choosing to be soldiers or killing other soldiers (Ramba Ral was at the battle Loum but that doesn't mean he actually killed any innocents).

Also, Amuro and Char's rivalry almost destroyed humanity?...bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Amuro eventually got over Lala's death and didn't continue to hold a grudge against Char. Though granted the same can't really be said about Char who, depending on your interpretation of CCA, started the second Neo-Zeon War out of petty vengeance.

Now its probably true Marida probably doesn't deserve the life she has had, though she did choose to continue to be a soldier after Zimmerman rescued her. However, in the end what one deserves is really irrelevant, because "life" just simply couldn't care less about what you deserve.

"I don't think life is about what you deserve"
-Tali from Mass Effect 2
flamingtroll

schwarz ritter wrote:
Even if they change the
Spoiler
pseudo-Evangelion rip-off ending
Just to chime in here for a bit. For the record, it's more of a Ideon ending, which Evangelion subverted. Especially when Banagher had his newtype trip in which he
Spoiler
literally sees through time, from the beginning of the evolution of life and into the far future (including a brief scene from Turn A)

which of course is a homage to the "Star Gate" scene in 2001 Space Odyssey, which Tomino has time and time again referenced in both Gundam and Ideon.
schwarz ritter

You know what, eff it. I'll stop the emo whining from now on: like Shadowcell and Deacon Blues said, these ain't real people, and I don't know why I'm even taking this whole Marida issue personally. I was just saying my own, very personal opinion. I never thought people here would actually get mad for what I said. Apologies.
HellCat

Andrew_Graruru wrote:
Chris wrote:
This in itself sounds like a rumor, as I have never heard any reports that the director would have an announcement to make after episode 5.
Not the director, but Fukui has said they'll be an announcement about the ending at the ep 5 premiere: http://en.gundam.info/topic/6202

"After seeing episode 4, I'm sure you're all wondering "How will it end?" We'll have a special announcement about the ending when episode 5 premieres. "

At first I thought this might be a movie, but after reading the ep 5 synopsis that seems unlikely. Maybe the final ep will be feature length or something.
It certainly hints at something alright.

I completely understand why people are doubtful of certain information but we've become a much smaller fanbase then 10 years ago and not everything gets caught by every major source. Sometimes, rarely checked sources like this hit on something key and word just doesn't circulate well enough.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Rawinder

flamingtroll wrote:
Spoiler
(including a brief scene from Turn A)
Wait, what?
schwarz ritter

Rawinder wrote:
flamingtroll wrote:
Spoiler
Wait, what?

Here it goes:
Spoiler
Banagher and the Unicorn become "one" and "God" during the final battle, and among other things (including a wet dream with Cardeas and Marida), Banagher gets to see the future, including several hints to F90, F91 and several other related series. Then he is taken even MORE forward towards the future; a future in which no Newtypes exist, implying Turn A.
That's pretty much it LOL n_n

NOTE: It is in my VERY PERSONAL OPINION that these posts should instead be at the Unicorn Novel thread. Just saying....
Shinji_Shinigami

schwarz ritter wrote:
Rawinder wrote:
flamingtroll wrote:
Spoiler
Wait, what?

Here it goes:
Spoiler
Banagher and the Unicorn become "one" and "God" during the final battle, and among other things (including a wet dream with Cardeas and Marida), Banagher gets to see the future, including several hints to F90, F91 and several other related series. Then he is taken even MORE forward towards the future; a future in which no Newtypes exist, implying Turn A.
That's pretty much it LOL n_n

NOTE: It is in my VERY PERSONAL OPINION that these posts should instead be at the Unicorn Novel thread. Just saying....

is this for real? O_o
schwarz ritter

That's just one side of the coin lol. I won't say anything else.
balofo

Staff completed episode 5 today:
-2nd PV will be available from mid April
-first 6 minutes will air during Golden Week(late April, early May)
Andrew_Graruru

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/gundam_unicorn

Most of this stuff comes from the twitter. If the EP 4 Bluray is anything to go by the PV for EP 5 should be on the 20th.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Evex

Actually the trailer for episode 5 is all ready out on youtube.

Youtube Trailer for Episode 5

According to the trailer the show is having a May 19 release date.
Andrew_Graruru

There will be a second, longer trailer.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
DuelGundam2099

As we wait for the long trailer, Extreme Vs. Full Boost just release a preview video of Unicorn Gundam Unit 02; high chances it will be attacking like this come ep 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgEEQGoJaoM

I'm no Unicorn Gundam expert or anything, but why is Banshee glowing green? Shouldn't it's destroy mode be glowing orange?
Kratos

That's the psycoframe glow from the final battle - the Unicorn's glows green too. In Extreme VS, the green glow appears when the Unicorn is in Destroy Mode and activates Burst Mode.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
kayone73

Evex wrote:Actually the trailer for episode 5 is all ready out on youtube.

Youtube Trailer for Episode 5

According to the trailer the show is having a May 19 release date.
I like the return of what looks like Kai Shiden in this trailer