Transformers General Discussion thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

Transformers General Discussion thread

Ok so lately I was reading a few threads and kind of got this idea recently.
I've wanted to do a thread on Transformers for a while now so, since over the course of it's lifetime it's had multiple incarnations and universes and formats it's been in.

So what will this thread include?

tv shows.
comics.
toys (can include links to pics maybe if you want to show off)
alternate universe that just got toylines only.

So let me kick this thread off with one HUGE damn rant on Transformers.

Generation 1:
So we had the 1980s cartoon series lasting 4 seasons and 1 movie and the UK and US comic series.

To me probably one of my fav entries, but hey I can very much so say the episodes which had flaws or were just boring or horrid for 1 reason or another.

Comics I enjoyed as well, it had some interesting ideas and thank Primus literally for Simon Furman introducing Primus to the Transformers mythologies and the polar opposite to Unicron.
So there was that stuff we had done by Marvel comics in the US and UK.
With Simon Furman working on both of those.

Some Transformer toys I have I want to make notable mentions for this entry go to.

Omega Supreme: A transformable rocket base, tank and was motorized for the tank and robot mode.

Sky Lynx: A multiple form transforming space shuttle with 2 forms per section and a combined form.

There were also later some nice re-releases of some like Soundwave/Soundblaster.
I also enjoyed some of the like the Tripple Changers in some cases like Blitzwing.

But one thing always showed for some of the older toys was limited articulation.
As much as I love Ehobby anime accurate Galvatron, his arms have limited movement.

Next up we have.

Generation 2:
this is a funny entry cartoon wise it was just select episodes done up for the release.

Comics wise this series got rather interesting with the whole conflict introducing the 3rd side of a set of more advanced Cybertronians who came to blows first with Megatron then later with Optimus Prime, forcing a lasting alliance between Optimus and Megatron.

Before that though during a time Bludgeon led the Decepticons needless to say he was usurped by Megatron killing him in a very short fight.

Also Megatron's new incarnation of a tank was explained in the 2nd GI Joe and Transofmers cross over, where Megatron made a deal with Cobra Commander and was willingly totally refitted after taking severe structural damage to his old form whilst attacking the Cobra Castle.

So toy wise there were some new molds and old ones repainted I will say sometimes this series had very GARish/horrid bright colour schemes and some of them were fine.

For instance I have G2 Megatron and his dark green and purple works pretty well.

I had one of the Laser Cycles it was ok, but some of them just had horrid colours.

So next up.

Beast Wars:

So this is one of the best Transformers series within the original timeline made.
Since for one thing it had a very nicely done 3 season CGI series done by Mainframe Entertainment.
Nicely written characters and stories.

Nice toys with ball joints and nice colour schemes then later we got nice Transmetals and Fuzors.
It got comics later done by Dreamwave and finished by IDW.
I got both TPBs and I loved the story using up other characters who never made it in to the show(budget limits and all)

Next is.

Beast Machines:

So this series I am going to say it, I recently saw this series in it's entirety.
And I will say here and now I don't like Beast Machines much at all, but it had a toyline and tv series done by Mainframe for 2 short seasons, where do I begin with this one?

I never liked the new multi-coloured weird designs of the Maximals, for instance the colour schemes of, Optimus Primal, Black Arachnia, Silverbolt, Rattrap and Cheetor spring to mind.
The Beast modes themselves look odd unlike Beast Wars which had realistic looking animal forms.

Some of the vehicons same deal design wise.
I also disliked the whole idea of how the series went, it had weird character development in some cases, Megatron used the same scheme almost all the time of getitng all the sparks and conquering everything with drones.
Only on occassions we get new Transformers such as Obsidian and Strika/Striker in season 2.

I never got any of the toys for this line so no comment on that one.

So next we come to.

Transformers: Robots In Disguise

So after Beast Machines failure Hasbro decided to import and adapt a Transformers series and anime, toyline and created Robots In Disguise which gave them time to sort out for Transformers Armada.
So here we have a sort of alternate G1 like reality and went back to the roots of Transformers and yet it throws out tons of homages and new interprations of old characters and adds new ones and the result is pretty interesting.

Despite the comical nature of the show, along with calling out attacks or anime transforming scenes, stock footage, ect.
Also Robots in Disguise started a trend of Scourge/Nemesis Prime or the black evil Prime clone.

It also had a brief one off comic trial thing Dreamwave did.

Toy wise I have.
Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Prowl(normal and Supercharged), X-Brawn(normal and Supercharged), Sideburn(normal and Supercharged), Spy Changers(all 6 of them), The Build Team(Yellow Landfill gift set), Sky Byte, Scourge, Ruination (Desert camoflauge giftset), Team Bullet Train/Rail Racer and Brave/Fortress Maximus.
It also had the first combining leader team of Omega Prime formed by Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime forming together.
Also worth noting is Megatron/Gigatron could change in to 6 forms and Devil Gigatron/Galvatron could change in to 10 forms.

I do want to get Slapper, Gas-Skunk, Dark Scream, Towline and Skidz sometime.
There were also other repaints and releases of molds from other series too.
One of them being the Green and Black repaint of Dreadwing and Smokejumper set.

Next is.

Transformers Armada

So this one was the start of a new trilogy of sorts, which continued with Energon and Cybertron.
And the first one to feature Minicons which were like revamped Head/Target/Power Masters partners which would unlock extra features or weapons or things of the sort.
You also had combining leader transformers.
Unicron was around in this series.
You had upgraded versions of characters in either recolours or newer forms, new names, but old personnalities.
Also some characters with old names ended up on different sides, but not all the time.

Comics wise you had the Dreamwave series and later had a crossover with G1 Unicron coming to the Armada reality and G1 Galvatron, Scourge, Dirge, Bludgeon, Cyclonus serving Unicron as his heralds.

And the Autobots and Decepticons teaming up to eventually fight Unicron off.

The last entry I have familliarity with is.

Transformers Energon
This series had the idea of Powerlink or 2 way combining of top and bottom halves as the norm and the power up feature.
The plot revolved around trying to stop the Decepticons gathering Energon and reviving Unicron, which they didn't quite succeed in.
Also we had returning characters with new looks or interpretations and gettiing upgraded in time.

Comics wise this one had a series done by Dreamwave but not quite finished off.

Toys wise I have a fair of them and still do, although I admit the combining gimmick eventually wore down on me, when I figured this is all they can do, pretty much.

Anyway so there is my starting post I just wanted to throw this out there for any other Transformer fans on mechatalk.

I just want to talk Transformers in depth, I don't want any real fandom bashing or G1 hardcore supporters.
I just want discussion of the good and bad stuff when it comes down to games, toys, comics.
Also if I didn't mention a series like animated or Cybertron, post about it here yourself.
I admittingly stopped at Energon mostly.

So look forward to seeing what some people have to say.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctord

Re: Transformers General Discussion thread

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for this topic. I've only seen bits and pieces from each and the entirety of Armada. I only have one question related to that what happened in energon? I couldn't stand to watch it because they changed the animation from Armada. To me it looked horrible.

BTW I had no idea my account was still active here.
" Or you could go the G Gundam route and have MS shaped like fish and windmills. Plus old men taking down MS with towels."

Char Aznable touching your butt is like the Gundam version of being knighted!
Mu La Flaga

Doctord wrote:Firstly I'd like to say thanks for this topic. I've only seen bits and pieces from each and the entirety of Armada. I only have one question related to that what happened in energon? I couldn't stand to watch it because they changed the animation from Armada. To me it looked horrible.

BTW I had no idea my account was still active here.
I sort of know what you mean, they used a kind of rough CGI for lots of things in Energon.
I think the reason why they did it is because well the Japanese tend to make and animate them and this was their style at the time.
Because Cybertron did simillarly I think, but Armada was before that.

So it kind of makes sense..

And your welcome for the thread, I just hope I get more people who decide to reply in here.
yazi88

I've seen the G1 cartoon when I was a kid and have also enjoyed Beast Wars but was very turned off by Beast Machines, its like Shoji Kawamori came in the writer's room and proposed a very tree hugging hippie style story.

I saw Robots in Disguise anime and thought it was okay although Optimus being a firetruck was kind of weird and the show it self had quite some comic relief with the moronic predacons.

In the Unicron Trilogy, Armada was my favorite namely because the designs looked great and the Transformers rock-out theme of G1 was great but best of all was Starscream that is the most unique version of him yet. He was pretty much Dinobot from Beast Wars with the whole Bushido code and wanting to be leader because he honestly thought he could do it better and actually had respect for Megatron. Energon was alright although the main human character Kicker was pretty cool and his power suit was pretty badass but the CG animation kind of killed it for me but atleast the human characters looked more anime style rather than the Armada cartoonish style. Never saw Cybertron so I have no comment for that.

I've seen parts of Animated and thought the show was pretty decent and didn't mind the unorthodox designs or anything and will actually watch the entire show sometime soon.

Transformers Prime is probably my favorite Tranformers series up to date, I think it is also set in the same universe as the awesome game War for Cybertron and the show itself while using designs from both animated and the live action movies still manages to stand out on its own. The show itself is also pretty dark with a few deaths here and there and actually involves human terrorists too. Another reason to for me to love this show is cause the great portrayal of Starscream and has elements of his counterparts in G1 and Armada. Can't wait for season 2.
Mu La Flaga

yazi88 wrote:I've seen the G1 cartoon when I was a kid and have also enjoyed Beast Wars but was very turned off by Beast Machines, its like Shoji Kawamori came in the writer's room and proposed a very tree hugging hippie style story.

I saw Robots in Disguise anime and thought it was okay although Optimus being a firetruck was kind of weird and the show it self had quite some comic relief with the moronic predacons.

In the Unicron Trilogy, Armada was my favorite namely because the designs looked great and the Transformers rock-out theme of G1 was great but best of all was Starscream that is the most unique version of him yet. He was pretty much Dinobot from Beast Wars with the whole Bushido code and wanting to be leader because he honestly thought he could do it better and actually had respect for Megatron. Energon was alright although the main human character Kicker was pretty cool and his power suit was pretty badass but the CG animation kind of killed it for me but atleast the human characters looked more anime style rather than the Armada cartoonish style. Never saw Cybertron so I have no comment for that.

I've seen parts of Animated and thought the show was pretty decent and didn't mind the unorthodox designs or anything and will actually watch the entire show sometime soon.

Transformers Prime is probably my favorite Tranformers series up to date, I think it is also set in the same universe as the awesome game War for Cybertron and the show itself while using designs from both animated and the live action movies still manages to stand out on its own. The show itself is also pretty dark with a few deaths here and there and actually involves human terrorists too. Another reason to for me to love this show is cause the great portrayal of Starscream and has elements of his counterparts in G1 and Armada. Can't wait for season 2.
I do admit RID had problems with how the Predacons became more comic relief shortly after the Decepticons showed up.

I personally would have hoped the Predacons/Decepticons had gotten some new Transformers though.
In all fairness the Autobots outnumbered them on average and the Decepticons always caused alot of trouble.

Stand outs to me from that series were always Scourge and Sky Byte.

Although with Optimus Prime being a firetruck to me it never really bothered me, it seemed like a precursor to Transformers animated following that idea as well.

So I was always fine with that, I've read some weird bits of info on the TF wiki about RID and G1 share some weird continuity type stuff though.

I don't get some people who hate on RID, Beast Machines I have hate on it for a reason.
Robots In Disguise could have been better but I can look past some of the flaws or annoying bits to it.

But after Beast Machines it went back to alot of good roots of what Transformers are known for.

I admit I would hope one day or sometime in future it would be nice if we get to see a big alternate universe with good elements from other things.
Or like say giving Universe or Classics line an animated show, I never got all of Universe though mind you, but I got Nemesis Prime and King Atlas, I also had Depth Charge until I got the Beast Wars version and sold him.

Universe 2.0 I've really had my eye on Powerglide in the red colours, it looks awesome and I want to get hold of it sometime.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Do you guys think that the next Transformers film (they're going to make one, just watch) should be a reboot or follow the established continuity?

REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT!!! :D :mrgreen: :twisted:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Do you guys think that the next Transformers film (they're going to make one, just watch) should be a reboot or follow the established continuity?

REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT!!! :D :mrgreen: :twisted:
I think it should be a reboot, I've had my issues with the movies.
And there is more they could do WAY better, so that is my opinion and I kind of hope they do go down that route anyway.
Spiegel

The only one I've seen in its entirety is Beast Wars which was pretty awesome. I've seen bits and pieces of the other series (mainly G1, though). Most of the new shows never really attracted me, but they seemed fun, I guess.

The comics...well, I'm a big comic reader and I've tried tons of Transformers comics at one time or another, but they're a bit confusing. Not to mention either their writing or art is awful. However, I do stumble across some badass Transformers comic art from time to time. For example: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9063 ... gatron.jpg

For what it's worth, I agree with you guys that Beast Machines was dreadful. A shame that was the sequel to such an awesome show.
Mu La Flaga

Spiegel wrote:The only one I've seen in its entirety is Beast Wars which was pretty awesome. I've seen bits and pieces of the other series (mainly G1, though). Most of the new shows never really attracted me, but they seemed fun, I guess.

The comics...well, I'm a big comic reader and I've tried tons of Transformers comics at one time or another, but they're a bit confusing. Not to mention either their writing or art is awful. However, I do stumble across some badass Transformers comic art from time to time. For example: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9063 ... gatron.jpg

For what it's worth, I agree with you guys that Beast Machines was dreadful. A shame that was the sequel to such an awesome show.
By horrible art I assume your refering to the original Marvel comics stuff?

That or IDW at times.
Dreamwave I always liked what they did, very stylized.

There was 3 main good artists to me Pat Lee, Don Figuroa and one other guy I can't remember his name right now.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Another amazing bit with Beast Wars is, coupled with the CGI, the limited budget they had at the time too (given an entire CGI-based series back then still cost quite a bit of money) while still making it as good as it is. The budget is pretty much why they "repeated" some looks for some characters like Tigatron using a slightly altered Cheetor body. Same with Black Arachnia to Tarantulus; helped them save money.

I also liked how they managed to be original, yet stay within the continuity of the series too like with The Ark, the Nemesis, and whatnot. Just loved the more direct G1 involvement with the 3rd season, starting with Optimal Optimus =D Makes me remember loving the designs, especially during the 2nd and 3rd season (Transmetal arcs).

Also the varying connections between present Maximals and Predacons to Autobots and Decepticons, or even the connection being split up a little. Like Starscream feels a little split with Dinobot and Terrorsaur (or Tarantulus too with the whole constantly-traitorous attitude).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Mu La Flaga

That is true, they really put a bit in to that for the 3rd Season after events of the Agenda when Ravage came around to the series for his brief stay.

Although I will say to me the show picked up the most during season 2 at the mid way point and I didn't actually go much in depth on the characters, but we had Black Arachnia and her double sided nature and yet loathing Megatron, Tarantulas more so distancing himself from the other Predacons.
Dinobot and events leading up to his death.
The introduction of Rampage and his backstory as Protoform X, Rampage's compasssion for Transmutate.

There were other moments such as Optimus Primal's uplifting rebirth via a blank Protoform.
Same idea was used for Megatron creating Dinobot 2, which I didn't mind having him back as an enemy, in the end his death in Nemesis Part 2 and his changes after Rampage died were interesting to watch him become more and more like the original Dinobot.

Also the Maximals really got some powerful additions with Depth Charge, TM2 Cheetor, Black Arachnia, Tigerhawk and Optimal Optimus.

Can't say much more on that though for now, kind of covered my thoughts on that.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, it's only too bad that they cut one episode that exactly explained the other half of why Dinobot 2 turned back to "normal" after Rampage's death; Rattrap actually uploading data tracks from the original Dinobot into 2, but from what I read, it was considered too "dark" an episode or something.

Thus the combination of shock from the pain of feeling Rampage being impaled by an energon spike, regaining an entire spark after his death, and the data tracks allowed him to more or less be "reincarnated".

Transmetal 2 Megatron was also one of the coolest as a dragon. Though, I do wonder what brought on such a drastic Beast Mode shift since even Optimus still kept a gorilla Beast Mode after becoming Optimal Optimus.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Mu La Flaga

Actually it wasn't cut, it just was never made actually.
You should read the Transformers wiki on that stuff sometime.

I also actually read something very interesting that Rampage's death could be easily interpretted 2 ways.
1.Rampage in all his insanity embraced the idea of death and meeting his end to his twisted life.
OR
2.Rampage succeeded in goading or mocking Depth Charge to the point of tempting his dark side to end their long feud and at the same time make Depth Charge morally fall, even though it's what he wanted for so long.

As for Megatron's change to a Dragon, well it was just an evolution of sorts probably pushed on because he absorbed the spark of a Transformer more Tyranical and ruthless then him.

That is what I figured.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Or it was simply due to being dropped into lava and becoming some (red) T-Rex evolution while in lava wouldn't make much sense, lol.

Though, considering how Optimus became much more like Optimus Prime in his evolution (both looks and Autobot-like with vehicle transformations), you'd think Megatron would become more Decepticon-like and, given the original Megatron's transformations, more "weaponized" in a sense.
kayone73

I'm pretty excited that Transformers: Headmasters the official JP language series is now out on DVD in the US, can't wait for Masterforce or Victory

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Japa ... 423&sr=8-1
Mu La Flaga

I've had those sets for a while, since I forgot to mention much of the Japanese stuff.
But yeah Madmamn released them.

I actually really like Masterforce for it's different spin on a Transformers series.
I never ended up liking Headmasters or Victory overly much.
angelwingzero

I've heard a lot of talk about the animations, but do you guys read any of the Transformers comics?

I've read the IDW Transformers from the beginning, and its got to be the best adaptation of the Transformers story I've seen out there. It takes a lot of the old Transformers tropes and makes them new again. The latest issue of the Ongoing series, #22, was a really good one that focused on Prime and Megatron and the beginning of the war. Fans of some really good Transformers storytelling should check it out.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Mu La Flaga

angelwingzero wrote:I've heard a lot of talk about the animations, but do you guys read any of the Transformers comics?

I've read the IDW Transformers from the beginning, and its got to be the best adaptation of the Transformers story I've seen out there. It takes a lot of the old Transformers tropes and makes them new again. The latest issue of the Ongoing series, #22, was a really good one that focused on Prime and Megatron and the beginning of the war. Fans of some really good Transformers storytelling should check it out.
As I said, I did up to a point.
I was in to Dreamwave stuff a bit, IDW, not as much admittingly.

I got their Beast Wars TPBs though.

That and it's harder for me to keep up with Transformers comics when my comic shop closed down now.
hitokirigarou

I've seen:
Transformers (American G1)
Transformers the Movie
Transformers (Japanese G1)
Transformers: Scramble City
Transformers 2010
Transformers: The Headmasters
Transformers: Choujin Masterforce
Transformers V
Transformers Zone
Transformers: Car Robots
Transformers: Micron Densetsu
Transformers: Superlink
Transformers: Galaxy Force

I've also read their Dreamwave and IDW comics.

I'm grateful to the Transformers franchise for spawning/influencing the Brave series.
Mu La Flaga

I forgot I've seen Scramble City.

Also a recent thought crossed my mind ad I'm not sure which one is worse Kiss Players or Beast Machines?

I think in terms of bizzare Japanese stuff made Kiss Players, but if you want a dark downer and weird continuity ending for G1 reality, Beast Machines is the way to go there.

I'm not sure if I've seen Zone though, dont think I have.