Gainax to bring back Blue Uru anime project!!!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Gainax to bring back Blue Uru anime project!!!

In what is essentially an anime miracle, Gainax is reviving Aoki Uru (Blue Uru) with Yoshiyuki Sadamoto returning as character designer and Hiroyuki Yamaga returning as writer while also taking the director's chair. Originally, Hideaki Anno was director, and it appears so far that he will not be returning to the project. No word on Masamune Shirow or Kazuki Miyatake, who did some mechanical designs during a previous revival effort.

For those of you who don't know, Blue Uru was intended as a follow-up to 1987's Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise, focusing this time on the military pilots of that world fifty years later. The project first began in 1992, but was cancelled due to various reasons, including financing issues, after a period of development in 1993, which gave rise to Evangelion as its replacement project. (EVA would reportedly borrow some of the unused themes from Blue Uru: "One of the key themes in Aoki Uru had been "not running away." In the story, the main character is faced with the daunting task of saving the heroine … He ran away from something in the past, so he decides that this time he will stand his ground. The same theme was carried over into Evangelion, but I think it was something more than just transposing one show's theme onto another …")

There were previous minor attempts to bring this back in the late 90s/early 2000s. There are numerous character and mechanical design sketches out there from the days of its early and latter development, and they look fantastic. One wonders if the magic of those conceptual/promotional materials can be captured in the modern age of anime. I hope this isn't watered down. If this is done right, this could be an anime for the ages.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... a-sadamoto
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone