The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ceiling_Squid

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Chris wrote:
Kratos wrote:Is there a link, or something? I can't find word of it at all, and while I know that hearing nothing isn't exactly a great sign about the status of a production, it's not a confirmation of cancellation either. You'd think that would be reasonably big news on sites that report on Gundam goings-on.
There's probably some vagueness in what I was talking about. I was referring to Akira, not Gundam.
Phew! Damn, don't do that to me! Or at least, don't go on a tangent without specifying what you're referring to, XD. My heart sank a little at the off-topic remark being so vague.

Shame there's no news yet about The Origin, though. I figured that it was an early tease or something. Then again, I guess Okawara already hinting at a UC production that far ahead of time was also just asking for it. So, probably damage control after the anticipation over that leak was betrayed by the announcement of another AU series. They must have been forced to put news out REALLY prematurely to quell fan-tempers. Either that, or they intended to keep the announcement really close to the conclusion of the manga, as a sort of publicity double-whammy.

Which leads me to a question: how early are Gundam shows typically announced to the public before they run? Was the annoncement on The Origin particularly premature, out-of-the-norm?
Chris
Administrator

Ceiling_Squid wrote:Which leads me to a question: how early are Gundam shows typically announced to the public before they run? Was the annoncement on The Origin particularly premature, out-of-the-norm?
That entirely depends on if it's a "show" or not. We heard years ago about the SEED movie in its early stages, but that never happened. Typically, for every TV series since SEED that airs in October, we don't hear about it until June/July. It's certainly not typical to hear so far in advance about something like The Origin, especially to not even know its format.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ceiling_Squid

Chris wrote:
That entirely depends on if it's a "show" or not. We heard years ago about the SEED movie in its early stages, but that never happened. Typically, for every TV series since SEED that airs in October, we don't hear about it until June/July. It's certainly not typical to hear so far in advance about something like The Origin, especially to not even know its format.
I thought so. I guess my current theory is that they did it so early because they wanted to announce it around when the manga was ending. Even thought they were currently busy with other productions (Unicorn and AGE).

I certainly hope the announcement was merely premature, and that The Origin won't get stuck in development hell.
Pkmatrix

My personal hope is that Sunrise's plan is to follow Age with Origin, so perhaps we'll start hearing news once Summer rolls around.
zerogradius

Chris wrote:That entirely depends on if it's a "show" or not. We heard years ago about the SEED movie in its early stages, but that never happened. Typically, for every TV series since SEED that airs in October, we don't hear about it until June/July. It's certainly not typical to hear so far in advance about something like The Origin, especially to not even know its format.
Its possible that the announcement was made so early to diffuse the phrenetic reactions made about Gundam Age.
pd771

zerogradius wrote:
Chris wrote:That entirely depends on if it's a "show" or not. We heard years ago about the SEED movie in its early stages, but that never happened. Typically, for every TV series since SEED that airs in October, we don't hear about it until June/July. It's certainly not typical to hear so far in advance about something like The Origin, especially to not even know its format.
Its possible that the announcement was made so early to diffuse the phrenetic reactions made about Gundam Age.
I honestly doubt that. If there's anything Bandai is, it's conceited. They wouldn't bend over backwards trying to please fans on 2chan and 4chan because the most extreme element went wacko. They always go wacko.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Ceiling_Squid

pd771 wrote: I honestly doubt that. If there's anything Bandai is, it's conceited. They wouldn't bend over backwards trying to please fans on 2chan and 4chan because the most extreme element went wacko. They always go wacko.
I have to agree there. If anything, in retrospect Okawara's little twitter "leak" about a new UC series was right after all. Unless Okawara has some involvement in AGE, I doubt that AGE was the new series he was referring to. That alone indicates that this was planned well ahead of time.

Perhaps Okawara underestimated just how much reaction his little hint would have caused. Especially when excited UC fans are dissapointed by the AGE announcement instead of a new UC series they were expecting. He could very well have been hinting at the much quieter announcement of The Origin that came shortly after AGE.
HellCat

I'm of the opinion it was totally a savings throw over AGE. The pre-show reaction to that was bad enough that a famous Bandai rep had to go on 2Chan and post "Calm the hell down, none of you have seen a single episode or know how much planning has gone into this". I doubt that would happen if Bandai weren't taking the response seriously. The paper thin Origin announcement totally comes across as giving baby his bottle and hoping he settles down.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Deacon Blues

HellCat wrote:I'm of the opinion it was totally a savings throw over AGE. The pre-show reaction to that was bad enough that a famous Bandai rep had to go on 2Chan and post "Calm the hell down, none of you have seen a single episode or know how much planning has gone into this". I doubt that would happen if Bandai weren't taking the response seriously. The paper thin Origin announcement totally comes across as giving baby his bottle and hoping he settles down.
Yes, because we all know Bandai would really go on 2chan :roll:
HellCat

Deacon Blues wrote:
HellCat wrote:I'm of the opinion it was totally a savings throw over AGE. The pre-show reaction to that was bad enough that a famous Bandai rep had to go on 2Chan and post "Calm the hell down, none of you have seen a single episode or know how much planning has gone into this". I doubt that would happen if Bandai weren't taking the response seriously. The paper thin Origin announcement totally comes across as giving baby his bottle and hoping he settles down.
Well I got the source wrong but this did happen

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/c ... e-new.html
A note from Katsumi Kawaguchi-sensei regarding his thoughts on all the negative rants for the new Gundam series (From Katsumi Kawaguchi's facebook). Is quite a good read, and his points are well taken.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... hi?sk=wall
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aMkM5WV9Crs/T ... 1600/1.jpg

So when someone who works for/alongside Bandai feels the need to publically speak up like this, I doubt the negative reactions to AGE have gone unnoticed.
Xenosynth

Deacon Blues wrote:
Peopel from Gainax also read 2chan, remember the Gurren Lagann debacle? I don't see having bandai employees reading/replying on there as anything special, so... yeah >.>;
DuelGundam2099

What GL debacle? This is the first I'm hearing of this.
Xenosynth

DuelGundam2099 wrote:What GL debacle? This is the first I'm hearing of this.
Gurren Lagann, episode 4. The bad animation episode that had a reaction on 2chan that caused Takami Akai to retire >.>;

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... rom-gainax

I mean, 2channel isn't the only thing that caused it, but I mean, I am pretty sure that it's users causing wank is noticeable.
Destiny_Gundam

Of course the animation wasn't actually bad.

Still, Gainax is known for being staffed by otaku, so of course they'd be more in touch with the fan community. Sunrise on the other hand...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
HellCat

Well I'd already posted what I wanted to highlight, so...

But on a similar track, Mizushima came out and said trolls online basically sapped the 00 staff's enthusiasm. It's pretty clear they are watching what's said, at least on the domestic side, and that the reaction to AGE was enough for them to partially speak up.
zetatype

2chan...eh I'm all for the animation staff being in touch with the fans but there has got to be a better way than 2chan. The stuff they say can drive a man to drink.
Angelo Sauper

Trolls seriously influence the way these series' are produced?

Acknowledging viewer opinions is fine, but letting it affect the quality if their work is poor. Do what many creators do and ignore complaints or discussions until the final product is complete.
Arbiter GUNDAM

If only they'd done that for Destiny...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

Angelo Sauper wrote:Trolls seriously influence the way these series' are produced?

Acknowledging viewer opinions is fine, but letting it affect the quality if their work is poor. Do what many creators do and ignore complaints or discussions until the final product is complete.
At least in the case of 00 there were certain lines in the sand. There's a story about how during the show's hiatus Mizushima would encounter fangirls who begged for Lockon to come back, possibly aware of how other shows cave to fan mail. Mizushima's response was 'I appreciate you came to love this character, but this is our story and this is the way we're going to tell it. If you find you don't like that, please watch something else which better suits your taste'.
Andrew_Graruru

... And then Lockons identical twin, who had never operated military machinery, became a main-character.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.