The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BloodKnight

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

I hope with Origin they change Char's final mobile suit from the Zeong back to the Dom like the original novel. They may or may not, but I think it would be an improvement.
Kratos

But why would they do that? A Dom is a downgrade from his previous Gelgoog. He may not have had that Gelgoog in the novels, but I know for a fact he has it in The Origin manga. Remember, this is an adaptation of that manga, first and foremost, which is itself an adaptation of an extremely classic TV series. They'll almost certainly work in elements of that before they will elements of the novels.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Kenji

I wouldn't expect much resembling the novel. For one, the novel severely cut down on the number of mobile suits, which would limit Bandai's marketing opportunities.

(Char uses the Rick Dom because it's the most advanced suit Zeon fields, not counting the Newtype-use mobile armors)

Similarly, although I would've rather seen For the Barrel, it's also based on the novel and therefore has a MS roster of the same size. Also, the suit redesigns, while interesting to me, are probably far too ugly and utilitarian for the Japanese crowd.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
zerogradius

BloodKnight wrote:I hope with Origin they change Char's final mobile suit from the Zeong back to the Dom like the original novel. They may or may not, but I think it would be an improvement.
Personally, I'd much rather see a Perfect Zeong, or at least an MSV unit, like the High Mobility Psycommu System Zaku, in a red color scheme of course.
BloodKnight

Kratos wrote:But why would they do that? A Dom is a downgrade from his previous Gelgoog. He may not have had that Gelgoog in the novels, but I know for a fact he has it in The Origin manga. Remember, this is an adaptation of that manga, first and foremost, which is itself an adaptation of an extremely classic TV series. They'll almost certainly work in elements of that before they will elements of the novels.
True. I haven't read any of the manga, so I didn't know they were already up to the point Char had his Gelgoog. I just want to see Char's Dom animated. It would at least be cool if they painted the Zeong this time...

I really just want them to mix things up and have fun with Origin. People will complain about changes, but I would rather see changes (as long as they are for the better and actually contribute something) than a prettier version of the original.
Last edited by BloodKnight on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kratos

I can't really argue with that sentiment, although I will say that change for the sake of change rarely ends up being any good. I don't mind an unfinished (or unpainted) Zeong, simply because it shows the dire state that Zeon is in (and Perfect Zeong is unnecessary, as I believe Char himself makes note of, because who needs the legs in space?).

The manga makes a few changes, mostly minor (locations that the White Base visits on Earth, the order in which some events happen, armaments of the mechs, etc), although there is the fairly major change of the Federation having Guntanks and Guncannons at the war's start.

I actually have a bit of an issue with that last change, in that it makes Amuro being retained as the Gundam's pilot a tad unbelievable. If there are people trained in piloting mechs on board (and there were; Job John pilots a Guncannon regularly, and there are often up to three of each unit fielded on each sortie), then surely somebody with any experience whatsoever would have been a better pilot for it than a completely untrained civilian. it just sorta calls to question the idea that Amuro is the only person who can really pilot it.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

Oddly enough those legs increase the mobility of the unit, as Char states in the CDA manga.
zerogradius

If I'm not mistaken, the legs of the Perfect Zeong had additional thrusters, if that's the case then it would have made it faster.

And I'd also really like to see the Gundam Alex at some point. I know Amuro would not use it, but at least a mention of it would suffice.
Black Knight

Extra thrusters on the legs would only make the machine accelerate faster if they provide more thrust than the legs weigh. Given that all the leg-less Zeong's lower torso was filled with thrusters, I really don't think legs would have added to its thrust-to-mass ratio. However, they would have made the Zeong more maneuverable, due to their ability to change the center of mass in fun and interesting ways.
Mark064

Random fun I just recalled... a few years back in Gundam Ace during The Origin there was a chapter which included a remake of Ai Senshi. Later in the same issue they made a comic... this comic to be precise. I had an exact translation years ago but too lazy to edit the image and what not and too lazy to dig it up.

But the effect is basically that Ramba Ral sees that Ai Senshi has been remade and thinks they can be remade too. However Char points out that it wouldn't work that way... all the characters would be refined into bishounen and instead of Goufs and Doms everyone would pilot Gundams. Ramba is of course not too happy about this and the comic ends with Char calling it a sign of the times.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
J-Lead

Mark064 wrote:Random fun I just recalled... a few years back in Gundam Ace during The Origin there was a chapter which included a remake of Ai Senshi. Later in the same issue they made a comic... this comic to be precise. I had an exact translation years ago but too lazy to edit the image and what not and too lazy to dig it up.

But the effect is basically that Ramba Ral sees that Ai Senshi has been remade and thinks they can be remade too. However Char points out that it wouldn't work that way... all the characters would be refined into bishounen and instead of Goufs and Doms everyone would pilot Gundams. Ramba is of course not too happy about this and the comic ends with Char calling it a sign of the times.
The translated version of said comic gets posted EVERY DAY in /m/.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
azrael

ANN has the highlights from AX2011's Sunrise panel up.

As we've mentioned, Origin's plans have not been decided, only that it will be animated in some form.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Chris
Administrator

ANN panel report wrote:A press member complained that he felt some shows were more geared towards merchandising interests than strong stories, and asked how Sunrise maintains a balance between the two.
I don't know who this guy is, but apparently he doesn't seem to understand what Gundam is about.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
LightningCount

azrael wrote:ANN has the highlights from AX2011's Sunrise panel up.

As we've mentioned, Origin's plans have not been decided, only that it will be animated in some form.
That question about Origin was one of the few good ones in the lot. :( All the big wigs there, and such few good questions. (I like how Sunrise doesn't know if Amuro and Char are alive. lol). but anyway, I really would have rather Gundam X had been pressed upon rather than ZZ. Apparently that series is still considered a black spot or something. With its 39 episodes, it could be easy enough to produce. The Sentai Filmworks releases have been 13 episodes per DVD case. 3 DVD cases, two disks each, and the series could be released. Of course, any chance for a dub, and I'll certainly wait longer. Even a complete collection with a dub would be fine.

Regardless, pretty anti-climatic. It seems like Origin was an announcement made to offset the mixed reaction of AGE, but that it's probably not even in pre-production.

Also, the event seemed to suggest that AGE was made with broader audiences in mind than SEED, which I find interesting. I can see it getting younger crowds, but doing older crowds than SEED seems to be a stretch maybe, and they kind of seemed to think it will.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:Regardless, pretty anti-climatic. It seems like Origin was an announcement made to offset the mixed reaction of AGE, but that it's probably not even in pre-production.
I think it's only anti-climactic if people had unrealistic expectations from the outset. Not just here, but in other places people convinced themselves that this panel would have major announcements about Origin or AGE, but realistically that was never going to happen at an American convention.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:Regardless, pretty anti-climatic. It seems like Origin was an announcement made to offset the mixed reaction of AGE, but that it's probably not even in pre-production.
I think it's only anti-climactic if people had unrealistic expectations from the outset. Not just here, but in other places people convinced themselves that this panel would have major announcements about Origin or AGE, but realistically that was never going to happen at an American convention.
Yeah, its really sad how many people still think this is 2000/2001 and that Gundam is still popular in the US. Sadly it's not :cry:
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Rawinder

LightningCount wrote:That question about Origin was one of the few good ones in the lot. :( All the big wigs there, and such few good questions. (I like how Sunrise doesn't know if Amuro and Char are alive. lol). but anyway, I really would have rather Gundam X had been pressed upon rather than ZZ. Apparently that series is still considered a black spot or something. With its 39 episodes, it could be easy enough to produce. The Sentai Filmworks releases have been 13 episodes per DVD case. 3 DVD cases, two disks each, and the series could be released. Of course, any chance for a dub, and I'll certainly wait longer. Even a complete collection with a dub would be fine.
It is very unlikely that Bandai will ever release X in the US, but there is zero chance of it ever being dubbed. There's absolutely no reason to, there's no financial push for it; it would be a pointless investment for them.
Regardless, pretty anti-climatic. It seems like Origin was an announcement made to offset the mixed reaction of AGE, but that it's probably not even in pre-production.
That's impossible. For one thing, the Origin announcement first appeared in Gundam Ace, which would have gone to print before the AGE announcement was even made.
Deacon Blues

Gundam Age information was also present in the issue that has the Origin anime announcement.
LightningCount

Rawinder wrote:It is very unlikely that Bandai will ever release X in the US, but there is zero chance of it ever being dubbed. There's absolutely no reason to, there's no financial push for it; it would be a pointless investment for them.
Well, I think it's twice as absurd if they think ZZ Gundam is going to do them well just because of its Unicorn connections. "Bandai Entertainment president Ken Iyadomi asked the audience if they wanted Gundam ZZ, which resulted in an eruption of applause." :roll: (As crazy as it may be, I'm not going to give up on Gundam X getting the proper release it deserved but was denied in the early 2000s. Gundam's official Japanese page agrees with me that it fits well with G and Wing in a trinity, as the three are collectively called "Another Gundam").
Rawinder wrote:That's impossible. For one thing, the Origin announcement first appeared in Gundam Ace, which would have gone to print before the AGE announcement was even made.
So then I guess the AGE announcement got to the media before Gundam Ace's Origin announcement or Ace's shelf release? Because we knew about AGE a while before Origin around here, and the internet didn't seem to have anything on Origin for a while, as well. Perhaps the limit of technology. Either way, if they don't know the format, they can't have very much done on it if anything. Seems like a premature announcement to me.
Chris wrote:I think it's only anti-climactic if people had unrealistic expectations from the outset. Not just here, but in other places people convinced themselves that this panel would have major announcements about Origin or AGE, but realistically that was never going to happen at an American convention.
They shouldn't have made such inaccurate and bold statements in promo saying Gundam's "fascinating future" would be discussed. AGE was hardly covered, Origin only got a mention because of a fan question, and I didn't hear a peep about the planned future US releases that have been talked about, such as Turn-A and 0079 Anime Legends.

...And for Pete's sake, it would have been nice if someone asked about the ultimate fate of the Gundam SEED movie that's been in development hell, if nothing else. I'm not a hardcore CE fan, but I do think that universe could use a proper sendoff, and I'd like to get an idea if that opportunity has slipped away like Sunrise's dropped option on The Big-O 3.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:They shouldn't have made such inaccurate and bold statements in promo saying Gundam's "fascinating future" would be discussed. AGE was hardly covered, Origin only got a mention because of a fan question, and I didn't hear a peep about the planned future US releases that have been talked about, such as Turn-A and 0079 Anime Legends.

...And for Pete's sake, it would have been nice if someone asked about the ultimate fate of the Gundam SEED movie that's been in development hell, if nothing else. I'm not a hardcore CE fan, but I do think that universe could use a proper sendoff, and I'd like to get an idea if that opportunity has slipped away like Sunrise's dropped option on The Big-O 3.
That's just a silly panel title that means nothing. What's inaccurate about it? They never promised there would be massive announcements, but fans just assumed there would be and are now disappointed about something that was never in the cards to begin with. Also, I don't think it would've mattered if someone had asked about the SEED movie, because industry people tend to be very dodgy with their answers at cons. If someone had asked and you were expecting a definitive answer of "it's happening" or 'it's canceled," that wasn't going to happen either.