The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Andrew_Graruru wrote:... And then Lockons identical twin, who had never operated military machinery, became a main-character.
Except Lyle wasn't identical to Neil. Yes, it was something of a cheat but they made it clear that Lyle was his own man who was different to his brother. A bit more snarky and less of a vibrant team player. As for 'never operated military machinery before'- it's been a while but I'm pretty sure that was part of his lie to get them to trust him. Don't forget Lyle initially joined CB solely so Katharon had a man on the inside.

At least they didn't pull a SEED and go 'Fan polls really like the guy, let's pull an awkward retcon and act like a facial scar excuses what was clearly a violent death'. Lyle was even foreshadowed early in season one.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well that's something I guess. And it looks like this thread has been un-stickied.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amadi Akintunde

Since there's no big news to expect for a while, there's no reason to keep it as such. Seeing as the only big announcement has been that it's going to be animated, sooner or later.
HellCat

Will these likely be nice thick volumes? I don't think the 'issues' format Viz tried really helped sell an arguably slow series.
Dendrobium Stamen

HellCat wrote:Will these likely be nice thick volumes? I don't think the 'issues' format Viz tried really helped sell an arguably slow series.
From the ANN article linked above:
The ANN Article Linked Above wrote:Vertical will publish the series in hardcover, similar to the ongoing Keepsake Edition (Aizō-ban) reissue that Kadokawa Shoten is publishing in Japan.
So presumably, it'll be the collected volumes, and in hardback! Let's hope it makes it to Blighty...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
HellCat

Oh, that oddly coloured text was a link? I just thought the post had a figgy tummy or something...

Ah well, good to know.
Kratos

Oo, very nice! I have the Aizoban editions published up to now, and they're flat-out gorgeous. They're pretty much the nicest comics that I own, and it'd be awesome to have them in English for reference purposes.

Here's hoping that the translation is a little less...ultilitarian than Viz's. Theirs didn't do a great job of getting the characters across, something that Yas did a really good job at in the originals.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
JulieYBM

This is awesome news. I doubt Mark can talk about being involved yet, but I hope he is.
She/Her
abaoaqu

Possible promo for the remake?

http://ask-kikka.tumblr.com/image/31565041386

I see a Zaku II, some Gaws, a Z'Gok, a Gouf, a Gelgoog, a Dom (or possibly three), a Guncannon variant, and the RX-78 Gundam.

Then again, it could be another spin-off or game all together, especially since the graphics on the mobile suits aren't cel-shaded (like most mecha these days).
Сиг Зион!
Wingnut

abaoaqu wrote:Possible promo for the remake?

I see a Zaku II, some Gaws, a Z'Gok, a Gouf, a Gelgoog, a Dom (or possibly three), a Guncannon variant, and the RX-78 Gundam.

Then again, it could be another spin-off or game all together, especially since the graphics on the mobile suits aren't cel-shaded (like most mecha these days).
Highly doubtful. That Zaku II in the foreground is an FZ model after all, and that Dom looks much like the Rick Dom II in 0080 and 0083. Methinks that image is a couple decades old.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
shinden

[quote="abaoaqu"]Possible promo for the remake?

I'm pretty sure these are pics from a magazine advertisement for one of the SD gundam movies back in the 80's or early 90's. In the page right after that one, there would be close up views of the same panels showing the little SD gundam characters caught up in the battle.
By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece. -G. K. Chesterton
HellCat

shinden wrote:
abaoaqu wrote:Possible promo for the remake?

I'm pretty sure these are pics from a magazine advertisement for one of the SD gundam movies back in the 80's or early 90's. In the page right after that one, there would be close up views of the same panels showing the little SD gundam characters caught up in the battle.
Mmhmm. It's a 'troll' ad for the fact one of the SD OVAs has the SD characters get transported into the OYW, with the 'serious' parts offering glimpses at parts of the conflict we hadn't seen before.
Deacon Blues

Gundam hasn't seen that much hard detail in decades anyways :P
Kratos

The manga of The Origin has pretty comparable detail to that. Of course, that sort of thing almost always gets lost in translation from manga to anime.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well looks like we've finally got some news. Not sure how official it is though...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

Maybe Unicorn finale in spring then Origin on TV in winter?

A regular TV run is the best way to go. The veteran cast aren't getting any younger.
Deacon Blues

Given the fact that the twitter account and accompanying blog are far from official, I'll take that shopped picture with a grain of salt. When Gundam.info or a magazine publicizes info on it, then I'll believe it.
Kratos

There's a question - who all will be returning for voice cast, provided this is actually happening? It's one thing to play the characters as they get older, but to go back to the younger versions?

Then again, I know Japan is big on legacy voice actors, so recasting would likely be a tricky business with fans.
HellCat

It could go either way. Look what happened with various female characters in the Zeta movies.

Sara' s voice in movie 3 really couldn't act...