The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

LightningCount wrote:Gundam's official Japanese page agrees with me that it fits well with G and Wing in a trinity, as the three are collectively called "Another Gundam").
"Another Gundam" is the official collective name for the four "original" AUs (G, Wing, X, Turn A); the later ones are called "New Generation", I believe, though Seed was briefly called "21st Century First Gundam".
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

AmuroNT1 wrote:
LightningCount wrote:Gundam's official Japanese page agrees with me that it fits well with G and Wing in a trinity, as the three are collectively called "Another Gundam").
"Another Gundam" is the official collective name for the four "original" AUs (G, Wing, X, Turn A); the later ones are called "New Generation", I believe, though Seed was briefly called "21st Century First Gundam".
It's not that formalized. The latest edition of the MS Encyclopedia lumps all non-UC works together under the English heading "Another Century" (with the Japanese caption 宇宙世紀以外の作品, "works outside the Universal Century"). On Gundam.info, you'll see the original trio of G, Wing, and X categorized as "Another Gundam" - just as LightningCount says - and then Turn A, Seed, and 00 discussed separately. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any official or consensus term for describing the non-UC shows.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

getting the proper release it deserved but was denied in the early 2000s.
Care to cite a source for this claim?
Rawinder

LightningCount wrote:
Rawinder wrote:It is very unlikely that Bandai will ever release X in the US, but there is zero chance of it ever being dubbed. There's absolutely no reason to, there's no financial push for it; it would be a pointless investment for them.
Well, I think it's twice as absurd if they think ZZ Gundam is going to do them well just because of its Unicorn connections. "Bandai Entertainment president Ken Iyadomi asked the audience if they wanted Gundam ZZ, which resulted in an eruption of applause." :roll:
I don't think it's that absurd. ZZ has the Zeta/UC connection, plus it had a Bluray release a little while ago in Japan, so there is some push for it. Plus, I think it was fairly popular when it aired, wasn't it? Whereas X was (in)famously very unsuccessful as both a tv series and Gunpla fodder.

I'm not saying it's impossible for X to ever come stateside, just extremely unlikely. Though I do think it will never be dubbed into English at any point; there's just no way Bandai would put *that* kind of investment into it. If they weren't going to (re)dub the 0079 and Zeta movies, or Turn A, then there's no way X ever will be.
BloodKnight

Rawinder wrote:
LightningCount wrote:
Rawinder wrote:It is very unlikely that Bandai will ever release X in the US, but there is zero chance of it ever being dubbed. There's absolutely no reason to, there's no financial push for it; it would be a pointless investment for them.
Well, I think it's twice as absurd if they think ZZ Gundam is going to do them well just because of its Unicorn connections. "Bandai Entertainment president Ken Iyadomi asked the audience if they wanted Gundam ZZ, which resulted in an eruption of applause." :roll:
I don't think it's that absurd. ZZ has the Zeta/UC connection, plus it had a Bluray release a little while ago in Japan, so there is some push for it. Plus, I think it was fairly popular when it aired, wasn't it? Whereas X was (in)famously very unsuccessful as both a tv series and Gunpla fodder.

I'm not saying it's impossible for X to ever come stateside, just extremely unlikely. Though I do think it will never be dubbed into English at any point; there's just no way Bandai would put *that* kind of investment into it. If they weren't going to (re)dub the 0079 and Zeta movies, or Turn A, then there's no way X ever will be.
Yeah ZZ is really the next MOST likely Gundam to be translated and released over here now that Turn A is on the way. Not only would it finish off the original trilogy, but it would (mabey) please the fans who have been b**ching about it since Zeta got released.

But if ZZ gets released, then I see no reason to not release Victory and X just to have all the TV shows released over here. It will probably take 10 more years to get all these out, but they will probably get here eventually. I mean nobody thought we would ever get Zeta or Turn A at one point, but here we are. And if not, I've already seen them a few times over so NBD.

@LightningCount I love X too, but Bandai is a business and they are going to release what they thing people will buy. Plus just because they threw the ZZ thing in at a convention means nothing.
ShonenNinja

LightningCount wrote:Well, I think it's twice as absurd if they think ZZ Gundam is going to do them well just because of its Unicorn connections. "Bandai Entertainment president Ken Iyadomi asked the audience if they wanted Gundam ZZ, which resulted in an eruption of applause." :roll:
I just think that a ZZ release was eventual when Unicorn was announced. We need to get all of the backstory of Unicorn to a legit release for any new fan of Gundam that came in because of Unicorn.
LightningCount wrote:(As crazy as it may be, I'm not going to give up on Gundam X getting the proper release it deserved but was denied in the early 2000s. Gundam's official Japanese page agrees with me that it fits well with G and Wing in a trinity, as the three are collectively called "Another Gundam").
So am I. Gundam X is probably next after ZZ for releases...

I mean they have a choice between the upbeat post-apocalypse series or the depressing massacre series
LightningCount wrote:...And for Pete's sake, it would have been nice if someone asked about the ultimate fate of the Gundam SEED movie that's been in development hell, if nothing else. I'm not a hardcore CE fan, but I do think that universe could use a proper sendoff, and I'd like to get an idea if that opportunity has slipped away like Sunrise's dropped option on The Big-O 3.
It would have been a very vague answer at this point. I at least still hope for the Cosmic Era to either continue or end...

So with the lack of info, I beginning to see that The Origin will be the next OVA project after Unicorn.
mcred23

ShonenNinja wrote:I just think that a ZZ release was eventual when Unicorn was announced. We need to get all of the backstory of Unicorn to a legit release for any new fan of Gundam that came in because of Unicorn.
The lack of backstory doesn't mean a thing. CCA came out here two-odd years before Zeta (Which did very poorly, less we forget), and ZZ is also part of CCA's backstory too. Besides, let's not start overstating what impact Unicorn is having, as I strongly doubt it's bringing in droves of new American fans.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
BloodKnight

mcred23 wrote:
ShonenNinja wrote:I just think that a ZZ release was eventual when Unicorn was announced. We need to get all of the backstory of Unicorn to a legit release for any new fan of Gundam that came in because of Unicorn.
The lack of backstory doesn't mean a thing. CCA came out here two-odd years before Zeta (Which did very poorly, less we forget), and ZZ is also part of CCA's backstory too. Besides, let's not start overstating what impact Unicorn is having, as I strongly doubt it's bringing in droves of new American fans.
I agree, Unicorn isn't going to bring in many new fans. Unicorn is mostly Gundam fan service for hardcore fans and not really designed to bring in new fans anyway.
LightningCount

Deacon Blues wrote:
getting the proper release it deserved but was denied in the early 2000s.
Care to cite a source for this claim?
Simply put, history. Gundam Wing came to the US in 2000. G-Gundam was 2002 in the US. Both had dubs, and the former made an especially big splash. Somewhere in all this, if there hadn't been a bit of a prideful but misguided push for UC continuity in the West by certain execs forcing 0079, it would have made sense to release a series made around the same time with similar sensibilities--in other words, Gundam X. (Gundam.info's 3rd "Another Gundam" series next to Wing and G). And given past interviews with the heads of Toonami, they would have rather had more Gundam series along the lines of Wing to push during that popular window of opportunity, but that wasn't made available. But I digress. As I said, it's history. I've just always hoped it could be corrected.
BloodKnight wrote:
mcred23 wrote:
I agree, Unicorn isn't going to bring in many new fans. Unicorn is mostly Gundam fan service for hardcore fans and not really designed to bring in new fans anyway.
Agreed. And that's why I feel ZZ doesn't automatically make more sense than any other series, like X for instance.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
ShadowCell

That's not history, LightningCount, that's your speculation. If Bandai had done simply what "made sense," they wouldn't have brought over Mobile Suit Gundam right after Wing. But they did--and that is history.
LightningCount

ShadowCell wrote:That's not history, LightningCount, that's your speculation. If Bandai had done simply what "made sense," they wouldn't have brought over Mobile Suit Gundam right after Wing. But they did--and that is history.
I think we're saying the same thing with different words, but I don't see any point in arguing either way. It's a moot point. Cheers!
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Mu La Flaga

ShadowCell wrote:That's not history, LightningCount, that's your speculation. If Bandai had done simply what "made sense," they wouldn't have brought over Mobile Suit Gundam right after Wing. But they did--and that is history.
And yet Japan's hisory has breen pretty simple and aired in order of production and all that.

Where as the US and outside of US the history is different.

Take for instance Zeta looked at as one of the best UC entries in Japan, yet it didn't do so well when it came out and there can be all sorts of reasons for that, some things have more appeal then others.

As for what comes next, don't want to aruge that whole thing up again.
But i mean people hoping for ZZ next up, I wouldn't hold your breath.
I mean I would for X next for a few reasons.

1.After Turn A, it's the most recent Gundam series made.
2.It has a lower episode count.
3.ZZ doesn't have the best start to it for 10-12 episodes.
4.X is pretty solid as a stand alone series itself, I wouldn't bank on a series bein connected to Unicorn being a selling point.

Anyway when we get more info on Gundam the origin comes out more, I hope it does well.
I mean it's something people have wanted to see done for a retelling.
I mean it excited me more then the news of Gundam AGE.

Just saying my thoughts on all of the stuff posted in here lately.
Chris
Administrator

Ok guys, let's give it up. This thread is not for debating for the thousandth time what Bandai should've followed Wing up with in America, or what they should release now. This thread is for the Origin anime only, and since there's no news for that, this thread really should stay dead until then.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Im curious, Do you all think that Origins would replace the Original in terms of the actual canon story?

I never read any of the Origins manga but from what I researched is that it is very very similar with only some minor changes (and Amuro getting the G-3 Gundam).

The original series is my all time favorite Gundam series I hope Origins won't replace it as canon.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Dark Duel

Of course not. Just like the recent Z compilation movies didn't replace the original series in canon - it's nothing more than an alternate take on the same story.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Imperial

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:Im curious, Do you all think that Origins would replace the Original in terms of the actual canon story?

I never read any of the Origins manga but from what I researched is that it is very very similar with only some minor changes (and Amuro getting the G-3 Gundam).

The original series is my all time favorite Gundam series I hope Origins won't replace it as canon.
"Canon" is a rather Western notion. Japanese companies seem more interested in "official" and "unofficial." The powers-that-be don't seem to treat Gundam with the same lore telescope that will inevitably sweep over the likes of Star Wars, Marvel and DC comics, The Matrix, etc.

One version of Gundam doesn't trump another. They simply coexist.
This space for rent
Gatx

Isn't the concept of this actually really ridiculous when you think about it? This is an adaptation of an adaption. I know "The Origin" is lauded as a really great manga and fleshes out and alters parts of the story, and but still, it's just kind of bizarre to me, like if someone made a novelization of the Harry Potter films, or made a movie version of the novelization of the Star Wars trilogy.
Dendrobium Stamen

Gatx wrote:Isn't the concept of this actually really ridiculous when you think about it? This is an adaptation of an adaption. I know "The Origin" is lauded as a really great manga and fleshes out and alters parts of the story, and but still, it's just kind of bizarre to me, like if someone made a novelization of the Harry Potter films, or made a movie version of the novelization of the Star Wars trilogy.
It's not really that simple, to be fair; from the dozen or so Viz-released volumes I bought back in the heady days of 2001-ish, The Origin gives a fairly thorough modernisation to the original story, sort of like a Blu-Ray remastering of a classic film.

Even from the first volume things go on a similar-but-different bent, with an RX78-01 Prototype Gundam wiping out a trio of Zakus before succumbing itself, and only after that do Denim's team locate the RX78-02, before Amuro stumbles into its cockpit and works his magic.

So, the purpose of The Origin as an anime seems to be more or less an "HD remastering" of the original tale, more than anything else: It'll do what Seed was touted as and bring the first Gundam series into the new millennium, but more literally :roll:

I, for one, can't wait!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Homeless

The Gundam fanbase keeps buying 0079 merchandise, so getting them to pay for the entire series again is a smart move.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Kratos

Think of it like this: The Origin is effectively an Extended Edition of the original series. The events are mostly the same (a couple are shuffled around, but to the best of my knowledge there's very little that outright happens DIFFERENTLY), but there's QUITE a bit that's expanded on. Most are small scenes, here and there, but there are also the 6 volumes that deal with pre-war backstory. That's a little over a quarter of the entire series! Plus it cuts out a good deal of the sillier 70's stuff like the movies did, while keeping the characterization that was cut from the movies. It's not really all that ridiculous; it's a modern update of an aging classic, so that's great from a fan standpoint. And as Homeless said, fans will eat it up like crazy, so it's smart from a business standpoint too.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"