The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
RLZIII

Re: Another Gundam Incoming

I've never been a huge fan of Z Gundam, but I'm kinda interested in Z Gundam: DeFine. I do like the changes that were made throughout the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga, and I'm curious to see if the writer and artist of Z Gundam: DeFine will make similar changes. I will also be interested to see if DeFine follows the anime or The New Translation movies more closely. I guess in 2021 we'll hear about Bandai announcing a Z Gundam: DeFine anime once it's finished its run. Haha.
LightningCount

Re: Another Gundam Incoming

Might be more news soon at Anime Expo 2011 during the following July 2nd panels, where "Gundam's fascinating future" and more will be discussed:

*4:30-5:30pm
Bandai Entertainment Industry Panel with Ken Iyadomi, Robert Napton, Loy Fruel

*5:30-6:30pm
The very first Official Gundam panel presented by Sunrise and BEI. Yasuo Miyakawa (Senior Managing Director) and Shin Sasaki (General Manager of the Gundam Division) from SUNRISE will be attending to speak about Gundam's fascinating future.

More details about AX'11 and Gundam's significant presence there:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14130
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... o-schedule
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Kyuzo Aoi

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Will Tohru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda reprise their roles?
I am a Gundam!
J-Lead

Kyuzo Aoi wrote:Will Tohru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda reprise their roles?
They're both alive and have reprised their roles for just about every game/radio drama/Anime short that came after. Why wouldn't they?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
azrael

They haven't said. As mentioned, the details that were released don't mention much beyond "We're animating The Origin."
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Chris
Administrator

J-Lead wrote:
They're both alive and have reprised their roles for just about every game/radio drama/Anime short that came after. Why wouldn't they?
And you could say the same thing about Tohru Furuya and all the other voice actors from Saint Seiya who are still alive, but that didn't stop them from being replaced halfway though the Hades OVA. That doesn't mean the same thing will happen with The Origin, but it also doesn't mean that it won't. Given all the recasting that happened for the Zeta movies, even with voice actors who were still alive and active, anything is possible.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Chris wrote:
J-Lead wrote:
And you could say the same thing about Tohru Furuya and all the other voice actors from Saint Seiya who are still alive, but that didn't stop them from being replaced halfway though the Hades OVA. That doesn't mean the same thing will happen with The Origin, but it also doesn't mean that it won't. Given all the recasting that happened for the Zeta movies, even with voice actors who were still alive and active, anything is possible.
Ugh please Chris let us NOT open up THAT can of worms, I'm still fuming about it :twisted:
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
JulieYBM

Chris wrote:
J-Lead wrote:
Not to mention the special edition audio track for the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy had recasts, despite Genda and Nagai being available. Dragon Ball Kai also had numerous recasts, even though some actors would return for one small role (Utsumi Kenji returned as the voice of Shen Long, who has all of ten lines in the series but didn't return for Reacoom).

From what I've been able to gather, the veterans we all know and love from the seventies and eighties are increasingly becoming too expensive for the studios to hire. Kamiya Akira had to give up Kenshirou from Hokuto no Ken because the game projects could not afford his rates. Mitsuya Yuuji, the voice of Kaioushin from Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, told fans that if Dragon Ball Kai was ever going to cover the Majin Boo arc he would have had to take a pay cut because he's a veteran. Iizuka Shouzou didn't return to voice Nappa in Dragon Ball Kai, making him the first living Dragon Ball actor to not reprise a role even though he had in the previous video games.

I suppose I should get to my point now. :p If we see recasts, specifically for lesser roles, I won't be too surprised. I'll be disheartened, but if Sunrise wants to make this project look good during this economic climate I fear we might see roles recast, barring Amuro, Char, and maybe Kai (Furukawa Toshio is still very active and is even the villain of the current Bleach filler arc).
She/Her
BlackLion

I've never understood the obsession with voice actors in Japan. Maybe it's because they don't have any real actors to dote on?

Doesn't matter to me as long as the new voice suits the character. The most important part IMO is that they keep the art close to Yas' style, and the MS designs close to Okawara's. I don't want them Katoki'ng up this project.
Kratos

This reminds me, I really have to get back to reading The Origin.

I'm pumped for pretty much any info right now. I'd love a PV, and confirmation as to whether or not it's a full series. If it is, that's pretty ballsy of them; it would be like remaking the original Star Wars trilogy over here.

I actually have a question, that sorta-kinda pertains to The Origin. In the whole Garma Zabi bit, it's mentioned that Eschonbach was a presidential candidate for the US. I believe Chris actually mentions this in his review for that particular volume, but what sort of government is the Federation? It's not just that bit in Origin, either; the OYW had neutral colonies. If it's a commonwealth thing, then the President thing makes sense, but how can there be neutral colonies if there's a one world government that presides over all that isn't Zeon?
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Kenji

BlackLion wrote:I've never understood the obsession with voice actors in Japan. Maybe it's because they don't have any real actors to dote on?
Hey, you in the back: No assumptions!

The average person on a Japanese street doesn't know who voices what, directs what, or draws what. Mostly because most of them don't really care.

Imagine if you were born and raised in Hong Kong and the only contact you had with Americans was through the Star Wars fandom. That would skew your perception of American society into something completely unrecognizable by any actual American. The same goes for Japan.

Very few people here know that Adriana Caselotti voiced Snow White, like very few people over there know that Miyamura Yuko voices Asuka Souryu.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
sweet-d

Kratos wrote:I actually have a question, that sorta-kinda pertains to The Origin. In the whole Garma Zabi bit, it's mentioned that Eschonbach was a presidential candidate for the US. I believe Chris actually mentions this in his review for that particular volume, but what sort of government is the Federation? It's not just that bit in Origin, either; the OYW had neutral colonies. If it's a commonwealth thing, then the President thing makes sense, but how can there be neutral colonies if there's a one world government that presides over all that isn't Zeon?
I've actually been thinking that same thing for a while now. What got me thinking about it was in Zeta Gundam I think it was Fraw Bow that was trying to get a visa to get into Japan. I wondered why would any one need a visa in a Unified Government? Also correct me if im wrong on fraw bow visa issue if it's not her it mirei in CCA trying to get a visa into japan.
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Sulendil Zeta

sweet-d wrote:
Kratos wrote:I actually have a question, that sorta-kinda pertains to The Origin. In the whole Garma Zabi bit, it's mentioned that Eschonbach was a presidential candidate for the US. I believe Chris actually mentions this in his review for that particular volume, but what sort of government is the Federation? It's not just that bit in Origin, either; the OYW had neutral colonies. If it's a commonwealth thing, then the President thing makes sense, but how can there be neutral colonies if there's a one world government that presides over all that isn't Zeon?
I've actually been thinking that same thing for a while now. What got me thinking about it was in Zeta Gundam I think it was Fraw Bow that was trying to get a visa to get into Japan. I wondered why would any one need a visa in a Unified Government? Also correct me if im wrong on fraw bow visa issue if it's not her it mirei in CCA trying to get a visa into japan.
Well, I'm not sure of how the Earth Federation really works, but in my country Malaysia, which is a federation, we do require visa to go from West Malaysia to East Malaysia, which is divided by South China Sea, but not vice-verse. It's because the East Malaysian states previously demanded that the state government will be in charge of the immigration into the states as one of the condition of joining Malaysia in 1963, which is still enforced till this day. I believe the Federation may have similiar situations. :)
zetatype

Kratos wrote:This reminds me, I really have to get back to reading The Origin.

I'm pumped for pretty much any info right now. I'd love a PV, and confirmation as to whether or not it's a full series. If it is, that's pretty ballsy of them; it would be like remaking the original Star Wars trilogy over here.

I actually have a question, that sorta-kinda pertains to The Origin. In the whole Garma Zabi bit, it's mentioned that Eschonbach was a presidential candidate for the US. I believe Chris actually mentions this in his review for that particular volume, but what sort of government is the Federation? It's not just that bit in Origin, either; the OYW had neutral colonies. If it's a commonwealth thing, then the President thing makes sense, but how can there be neutral colonies if there's a one world government that presides over all that isn't Zeon?
Well neutral could just mean that they don't contribute to the fighting for either side. While they are still under Federation rule as long as they do not contribute to the war effort they can claim neutrality to avoid bloodshed. Now as for why the federation would allow any colony to remain neutral; it is possible that some colonies did not possess any strategic value or threatened to rebel if they were not allowed to remain neutral in the conflict. Also, due to the OYW there might have been less Federation oversight and control among some of the colonies. As a result some of those colonies might have been in the position to self govern themselves more.
sweet-d

Sulendil Zeta wrote:
sweet-d wrote:
Well, I'm not sure of how the Earth Federation really works, but in my country Malaysia, which is a federation, we do require visa to go from West Malaysia to East Malaysia, which is divided by South China Sea, but not vice-verse. It's because the East Malaysian states previously demanded that the state government will be in charge of the immigration into the states as one of the condition of joining Malaysia in 1963, which is still enforced till this day. I believe the Federation may have similiar situations. :)
Well now that you said that I guess your right on that visa issue maybe japan joined the Federation under conditions that other Earthnoids would need visa's to go to japan. But it could also be like that for every region or country in the Earth Federation. But on a side note it looks like we will be getting a trailer for gundam origin on Gundam Unicorn's facebook they said they made a special flier and trailer for a Gundam series that isn't Unicorn ep 4. They said it will be shown 7/2 at the anime expo so I figured it must be for Origin it couldn't be any thing else.
Last edited by sweet-d on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LightningCount

sweet-d wrote:But on a side note it looks like we will be getting a trailer for gundam origin on Gundam Unicorn's facebook they said they made a special flier and trailer for a Gundam series that Unicorn ep 4. They said it will be shown 7/2 at the anime expo so I figured it must be for Origin it couldn't be any thing else.
Nice. That makes sense, given it was reported before by ANN that Japanese execs would be on site to talk about "Gundam's fascinating future." (Lots of Gundam events and people at AX'11 to boot). See full schedule here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... o-schedule
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
BloodKnight

After all this AX hype, they better blow our minds lol. Seriously this is probably the biggest time for Gundam fans in a while! We have a new series (AGE), whatever Origin ends up being, and more Unicorn. I'm genuinely excited to see these announcements unfold this weekend.
Rawinder

sweet-d wrote:But on a side note it looks like we will be getting a trailer for gundam origin on Gundam Unicorn's facebook they said they made a special flier and trailer for a Gundam series that isn't Unicorn ep 4. They said it will be shown 7/2 at the anime expo so I figured it must be for Origin it couldn't be any thing else.
It's probably just a Gundam retrospective thing more than anything else. I seriously doubt the first anyone sees of Origin will be at a US event.
RLZIII

Rawinder wrote:
sweet-d wrote:But on a side note it looks like we will be getting a trailer for gundam origin on Gundam Unicorn's facebook they said they made a special flier and trailer for a Gundam series that isn't Unicorn ep 4. They said it will be shown 7/2 at the anime expo so I figured it must be for Origin it couldn't be any thing else.
It's probably just a Gundam retrospective thing more than anything else. I seriously doubt the first anyone sees of Origin will be at a US event.
A couple of years I would have completely of agreed with you. However, with the simultaneous release format of Gundam UC, I could see a segment about Gundam: The Origin at this expo. If Gundam: The Origin is going to be released in a similar way to Gundam UC, it's always a possibility. Am I saying that's what's going to happen? No. But it's definitely a possibility.
sweet-d

Rawinder wrote:
Well yeah could be some thing else other than The Origin the good thing is we only have to wait a day or two until the trailer I mentioned is released.