The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
prince_of_zeon

Re: Another Gundam Incoming

MS-05DS wrote:The Origin becoming anime??? i never this could be happen....
i like Bandai pleasing the two side of Gundam fan, the old ones and the new ones.
Well, Bandai's been doing this for 30+ years--they know how to reach their fanbases. But the possibilities for this are huge! MG Gundam the Origin? Yes please!

Do you think the voice actors will change (in the absence of Bright's and Sayla's voice actors?) Because it wouldn't be Char without Ikeda...
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
VentZX

pd771 wrote:
J-Lead wrote:WHELP! Guess who just fell back in love with Gundam!

That FIX metal composite RX-78-02 is starting to look mighty attractive right about now...
You may want to wait, just because I'm sure they'll have an Origin version which will have the shoulder cannon and the weapon hatch.
That's what he's talking about. The GFF that's coming out is of the Origin Gundam. The difference between the two is in the model number. The original is the RX-78-2 and the Origin Gundam is the RX-78-02. Minor difference, but that's it.
prince_of_zeon wrote:Do you think the voice actors will change (in the absence of Bright's and Sayla's voice actors?) Because it wouldn't be Char without Ikeda...
Furuya and Ikeda are still actively voice acting. There's NO WAY that they won't be back for a Gundam the Origin animation. There would be riots in the streets. As for the rest of the cast, it all depends on who's still alive and working. Dozle's voice actor also passed away, so I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the cast is recast. As for Bright, it would work out great to get a new VA for him
Spoiler
since he's set to appear in Gundam Unicorn Episode 4.
DuelGundam2099

So basically it's a reboot of the original series and possibly Zeta? Meh, aside from the new look of Guntank I'm not that interested right now.
MS-05DS

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So basically it's a reboot of the original series and possibly Zeta? Meh, aside from the new look of Guntank I'm not that interested right now.
i don't think this is just some reboot of the original series, because in manga there are quite different events from the original series and there are some stories that is not covered in original series, which is like the event when Casval meets the original Char.
---
i wonder if The Origin will be OVA or TV series? because if Origin is gonna be OVA, there are Unicorn that still on-going. And if it is gonna be TV series, there are Gundam AGE who will be start soon.
"POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Jeremy Clarkson
toysdream

I don't know anything about this project, so I'm free to speculate... :-)

Remaking the entire original series seems like it would be a bit redundant. (Which isn't to say it would be out of the question.) But animating the back story that takes place before the original TV series would be pretty cool, and it would certainly be interesting to have an "official" account of this to replace the current tangle of contradictions.

And anyway, "Gundam: The Origin" is a pretty good title for a First Gundam prequel!

-- Mark
pd771

toysdream wrote:I don't know anything about this project, so I'm free to speculate... :-)

Remaking the entire original series seems like it would be a bit redundant. (Which isn't to say it would be out of the question.) But animating the back story that takes place before the original TV series would be pretty cool, and it would certainly be interesting to have an "official" account of this to replace the current tangle of contradictions.

And anyway, "Gundam: The Origin" is a pretty good title for a First Gundam prequel!

-- Mark
A definitive look at the Battle of Loum would be awesome... maybe they'll let us see some of the MSV aces in action too.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Thought we already saw the Battle of Loum in MS IGLOO???
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
toysdream

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:Thought we already saw the Battle of Loum in MS IGLOO???
Yeah, kind of. But in all honesty, Yas's version in Gundam The Origin is waaaay better. :-)

-- Mark
Gundamfan

WOW!!! I can't believe it actually happened. I always wanted this to be animated and what do you know, it is going to happen. I can't wait to see the pre one year war chapters animated. Especially the whole Casval meeting Char and the Battle of Loum. I wonder though, will they make this a TV series or OVA?

Also, does this mean that the Origin events are now Canon?
Last edited by Gundamfan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kratos

I'm torn, here.

Part of me really wants it to be a full, 50-episode remake of Mobile Suit Gundam. I love The Origin manga. I love how it finds a perfect balance for the story that allows it to be taken seriously as a solid sci-fi story without sacrificing character development or the heart and charm of the original series. I love how it expands on Tomino's original tale, and gives the reader glimpses of events that they've only read about in extra materials. Having a full-length animation along those lines sounds like a damn good idea to me, and this would absolutely be the version of the story that I would most like to own.

Mark's right, though: it would be extremely redundant, and anyways would just introduce continuity headaches galore. It doesn't change a whole lot (or anything really important, I think), but things like the Federation having the Guntank and Guncannon at the start of the war are big enough that the odd canon statement is contradicted. I could see arguments similar to those that sprang from the Zeta movie trilogy emerging, and who wants those again, right? Plus, there are already plenty who see Unicorn as a giant UC fanwank, and this is nothing but the biggest fanwank of them all: Mobile Suit Gundam, always and forever being repeated, ad nauseum. I dunno. We'll see where this is going.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
kayone73

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So basically it's a reboot of the original series and possibly Zeta? Meh, aside from the new look of Guntank I'm not that interested right now.
It's not just a reboot of the original series with a 'modern look', browse a couple volumes of the english translated manga and you'll see why SBR and others rave about this. It delves into a lot of backstory of the main characters never portrayed in the anime.
pd771

Gundamfan wrote:WOW!!! I can't believe it actually happened. I always wanted this to be animated and what do you know, it is going to happen. I can't wait to see the pre one year war chapters animated. Especially the whole Casval meeting Char and the Battle of Loum. I wonder though, will they make this a TV series or OVA?

Also, does this mean that the Origin events are now Canon?
Remember, there is no such thing as canon in Japan. This doesn't mean there's any change to the timeline. It's just a different take on the original story.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

flamingtroll

I might be the miniority here, but I personally dislike the "real" Char-Casval switcheroo. It's just too contrived, even for Gundam. I also didn't like one scene where the Gundam decapitated a nuclear warhead - also too contrived, even for Gundam. But if it's an OVA, I assume a good chunk of some of the miscellaneous actions are cut off and only the good and important parts remain.
Vent Noir

[sarcasm]OH NOES!!!111!!! Their doin a crapy version of arumo and the RX-78111!!! Gundam has bein ruined FOREVER!!!!!!1!1!1111[/sarcasm]

...the scary thing is, I'm sure there are fans out there who actually think that.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kratos

Apparently, Japanese fans don't like The Origin and the online reaction to this announcement has been incredibly negative. But that's according to some Futaba thread a guy on 4chan gave a link to. I've been buying volumes of The Origin online; I think the sheer fact that it even has gorgeous, hardcover compilation volumes says a lot about its popularity, but all the ratings on Amazon.jp are fairly high too. Anybody here interact with the Japanese fandom at all, and know what the general consensus on The Origin is?
pd771

Kratos wrote:Apparently, Japanese fans don't like The Origin and the online reaction to this announcement has been incredibly negative. But that's according to some Futaba thread a guy on 4chan gave a link to. I've been buying volumes of The Origin online; I think the sheer fact that it even has gorgeous, hardcover compilation volumes says a lot about its popularity, but all the ratings on Amazon.jp are fairly high too. Anybody here interact with the Japanese fandom at all, and know what the general consensus on The Origin is?
I've heard it's amazingly popular. Never trust anything on 4chan. /m/ is full of morons arguing about the dumbest things imaginable, and the user are either misinformed or outright lie 95% of the time. This coming from someone who posts there himself on occasion.

Deacon Blues

Chances are since they said "anime project" it'll probably just be the events prior to the series. Uchida was talking about something with the original being "the only one" and this being "one of them" or something. He feels Gundam has become “something different” somewhere around the ending of the first series telecast. He goes on to state that since Zeta Gundam it’s become apparent that this is no fluke trend as various and different kinds of Gundam have been produced as a result, each of which have been supported. For him, when it comes to keeping the “Gundam brand” alive over thirty years, feelings are rather complex.
LightningCount

Interesting. Now, if this is a full-on 50-ep refinement of MSG (complete with the Texas Colony and Kai's spy girl water arc intact), I'd be cool with it. It would make sense in capitalizing on Unicorn and helping to get people to watch the UC timeline in order with a modern start. However, if it's just a prequel...well, I'll be on the fence--since it would have made just as much sense almost to fool around with F-91/Crossbone as a continuation of Unicorn.

Personally, from what I've heard about Frozen Teardrop, I don't want an anime. If anything is going to be done to Gundam Wing, it should be a refined/expanded Episode Zero. (Take out the lazy inclusion of the Gaw carrier, clear up points about Middie Une and some others, and add in some of the background Romefeller info from Frozen Teardrop that made "sense"). That would be a dream come true.

(Between Unicorn, MGS0079 DVD Anime Legends, and Turn-A Gundam (no dub?!), Bandai has a lot on their plate...But I'm still very much clamoring for a Gundam X release, with the new transfers and an English dub, on US DVD. Sigh).

Anyway, with Unicorn, AGE, and Origin, this reminds me of the Gundam Xplosion project a while back, when all sorts of stuff was coming out. However, I'm not fully convinced on any of it yet. I definitely want to see the official Origin announcement due in a few days.
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Kratos

LightningCount wrote:complete with the Texas Colony and Kai's spy girl water arc intact
Were they not intact in the manga? I haven't gotten that far yet.
LightningCount

Kratos wrote:
LightningCount wrote:complete with the Texas Colony and Kai's spy girl water arc intact
Were they not intact in the manga? I haven't gotten that far yet.
Yeah, I don't know, either. I'm just nervous because the MSG Movies cut the awesome Texas Colony duel, and I think, IIRC, they either cut or trimmed down the water mobile suit segments of the series with that excellent Kai side-story.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone