FMP! fanbase poll

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Are you still a part of Full Metal Panic!'s (ever decreasing) fanbase?

Yes
74%
No
3%
I never was
24%

Total votes: 34
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

FMP! fanbase poll

I, personally, am a huge FMP! fan, but recently I have not heard many people talk about it lately, most likely due to the fact that it is 9 years old in America, so, I want to know whether you still like/watch Full Metal Panic! ?

After asking that, umm... does anyone (I know a few of you do) know of a good (accurate) fan translated version of all (or at least most) of the light novels after Ending day by day/ TSR?
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Wingnut

Re: FMP! fanbase poll

I actually got into the show fairly recently when I saw a Gundam Wing/FMP crossover fanfic by a favorite writer of mine and decided to hunt down the anime so I could get what was going on. I later hunted down fan translations of the novels and enjoyed what I found. So while I'm a new addition to the fanbase, I am an active one.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
J-Lead

You can account the declining fanbase to Kyoani's apparent reluctance to animate anything past Second Raid.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Imperial

I never was.

I watched the first few episodes, in which a promising opening involving high-risk military operations gets pushed aside in favor of WHACKY HIGH SCHOOL HIJINKS! It felt like the perfect storm of anime cliches, which was a huge turn off.

It might be shallow of me to have dismissed the series in the first few episodes, but I think the obligation falls to the series in question to give me a suitable hook by the end of the first episode. Then again, I was able to hold out for three, so I think I gave it a fair shake.
This space for rent
quasadra

found this series around the time Second Raid finished airing. and i have always liked the mecha design in it. plus the comedy are not bad either. the story after Second Raid took a more serious turn, and starting to explaining stuff. high school hijinks are also cut down greatly. its a shame these were not animated.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Kuruni

Lets say that I have some interest (and do own all volume of first manga series), but can't say I'm ever in "fanbase".
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mu La Flaga

I can say I am, I've been in to it when the series came out over here in Australia and all.
I have mostly enjoyed FMP and 2nd Raid the most, ah Gates, you sick twisted bastard you :P
illsteir

I still am.
I can't wait for the spinoff novel to be release in August.
zetatype

Been one since the manga came out in the US. I was totally bummed when TokyoPop went under because no it looks like I'll never be able to complete my light novel collection. For now its fan translations, because lord knows when Kyoto or somebody decides to continue the anime.
illsteir

Though I hate KyoAni's reliance to moe just to make a profit, we shouldn't blame them for the lack of a new animated season since they're juts an animation studio.

Kadokawa and FMP! Film Partners should get all the bitching if we want a new season.
Turinu

Was when I first watched it and still am. Hell, I think I'm the only person to ever make Arm Slave Frankens? XD Not much compared to Illsteir's beautiful 3D works for Full Metal Panic, though.

I've been keeping up with events past the Second Raid through the Full Metal Panic Sigma manga. Haven't managed to get around to reading the fan translations of the novels. But yeah, it's a great series and definitely one of my many favorite animes.
Outlaw

It's funny I had never heard of FMP! until my sister got me the first DVD for christmas simply because it had mecha on the cover; the rest, as they say, is history. I can understand how the mix of heavy comedy/romance/drama would be off-putting for some but, for me it was fun (maybe because I'm so wildly eclectic?).

I've been getting by with the anime releases in the west and short summaries on wiki. However, the longer I wait the harder it is to resist the urge to look it up online.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Raiden

Same here Outlaw, but for me it was my friend who introduced it to me by lending me the DVD's. It shortly became my 4th mecha anime that ive seen ( the First i watched was a tie between Teknoman/Tekkaman and Gundam. and the second was Evangelion). Loved it ever since and then some because i never did like watching comedy animes before, so this was somewhat a change of pace (well Fumoffu? mostly).

Did hope that the announcement was going to be about an anime adaption of Sigma but sadly it didn't happen this time around. I'm still interested no doubt in the spinoff and would like to see that animated too but after Sigma of course.
SonicSP

I still am a fan, but I have not kept up with It lately. Are there fan translation novels out there, cos if they are Ill probably go out and seek them out, since I reall want to follow things after the Second Raid.
quasadra

yes. they are. and it has translated up to the final volume. at least the chinese translation is.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Wingnut

quasadra wrote:yes. they are. and it has translated up to the final volume. at least the chinese translation is.
There's english translations through the final novel as well. I've read them.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kenji

Imperial wrote:I watched the first few episodes, in which a promising opening involving high-risk military operations gets pushed aside in favor of WHACKY HIGH SCHOOL HIJINKS! It felt like the perfect storm of anime cliches, which was a huge turn off.
Amusingly, my experience was the opposite: I started with Newtype USA's serialization of the manga, which was pretty much all WHACKY HIGH SCHOOL HIJINKS! So, when I learned about all the serious biz with Mythril and Whispereds, I recoiled as with all comedy series that try to get inappropriately serious in the eleventh hour.

Of course, when I eventually bought one of the light novels, I learned that FMP! had always tried to balance comedy and action, but first impressions are first impressions.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Mu La Flaga

J-Lead wrote:You can account the declining fanbase to Kyoani's apparent reluctance to animate anything past Second Raid.
You know, you bring up something I've been wanting to ask(anyone who may know)
What the deal is with a new FMP anime series coming out?

Last I heard they were waiting for the novels to finish up?
Or is it as people say they are way too occupied with other works/projects right now?

Just curious on that, because it doesn't help when they leave the series hanging yet the novels are still going.
zetatype

Mu La Flaga wrote:
J-Lead wrote:You can account the declining fanbase to Kyoani's apparent reluctance to animate anything past Second Raid.
You know, you bring up something I've been wanting to ask(anyone who may know)
What the deal is with a new FMP anime series coming out?

Last I heard they were waiting for the novels to finish up?
Or is it as people say they are way too occupied with other works/projects right now?

Just curious on that, because it doesn't help when they leave the series hanging yet the novels are still going.
The light novel series finished up in August of last year. Also, a spinoff novel was announced not too long ago.

The last volume of the Sigma manga was scheduled for release on May 9, 2011, but I don't know if the earthquake pushed it back.

As for what's the deal with a new anime, who knows. I had hoped that soon after the last light novel was released we would see a hint of a new anime but so far no such luck.

At the very least I hope that somebody picks up the license for the light novels after Tokyopop fell apart. Even though I can read the fan translations, I would like to own at least one medium that covers the FMP series in its entirety
Mu La Flaga

Still there hasn't been any new anime news in ages.
ADV did the 3 anime entries, nowadays Funimation has the license.